Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nakedolphin
Nov 18, 2011

Hot Lava!
I really like reading short stories, especially ones with a bit of humor to them. My favorite collection of this year has been The Great Frustration by Seth Fried (his debut). It's pretty great and I've been looking for authors like him.

Amazon suggested George Saunders and Charles Yu. I read two Saunders books and they were ok, not great. Charles Yu I really kind of hated.

Anyone got any other suggestions? Besides Vonnegut (who is the master).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I'm looking for a book on the end of the Russian Empire/beginning of the Soviet Union. Any general history of the Bolshevik rise to power would be good, or anything that details the February/October Revolutions in particular.

John Reed's 10 Days that Shook the World is the most obvious example and the only first-hand account I can think of (it also has a cool cover), but Solzhenitsyn wrote about it in The Gulag Archipelago and a couple of his novels.

nakedolphin posted:

I really like reading short stories, especially ones with a bit of humor to them. My favorite collection of this year has been The Great Frustration by Seth Fried (his debut). It's pretty great and I've been looking for authors like him.

My go-to guy for short stories is Raymond Carver, but he isn't really a funny guy. I'd check out stuff by Truman Capote, PG Wodehouse, Ring Lardner or Donald Barthelme.

barkingclam fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 28, 2011

nakedolphin
Nov 18, 2011

Hot Lava!

barkingclam posted:

My go-to guy for short stories is Raymond Carver, but he isn't really a funny guy. I'd check out stuff by Truman Capote, PG Wodehouse, Ring Lardner or Donald Barthelme.

Thanks I'll check them out. Any specific stand out pieces I should start with?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
I'm looking for good fantasy and science fiction. In fantasy I have recently finished the The name of the wind and its sequel by Patrick Rothfuss and more or less everything by Brandon sanderson. As for science fiction I love neuromancer and Gibsons other works as well as Snow Crash. For reference I read all the way through one of the wizards first rule books so i am not put off by less than masterpieces.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I've read all of Jonathan Franzen. Where do I go from here? Please don't say I just have to wait 10 more years for his next book.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Dorepoll posted:

I've read all of Jonathan Franzen. Where do I go from here? Please don't say I just have to wait 10 more years for his next book.

David Foster Wallace. His stuff is more surreal than Freedom, which is the only Franzen I've read, but they feel similar to me.

FranticDisposition
Mar 9, 2010

nakedolphin posted:

Wodehouse, O'Henry, Saki, and Roald Dahl were all masters of the short story and of humor in that medium. You can't really go wrong with Wodehouse; start anywhere. For O'Henry, stand outs include The Ransom of Red Chief, The Cop and the Anthem.

With Saki, try The Schartz-Metterklume Method, Tobermory, The Open Window, The Quest, and just go from there. You can't go wrong with him either. Roald Dahl tends more to the macabre; I would suggest The Landlady, Lamb to the Slaughter, Skin, Taste.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I just finished reading Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt and I'm looking for stuff in a similar vein to the memoir parts of the novel. The comedy bits I could take or leave but the biographical portions really impressed me. I liked Have a Nice Day by Mick Foley back when I read it like four years ago too.

nakedolphin
Nov 18, 2011

Hot Lava!

terrorist plumber posted:

Wodehouse, O'Henry, Saki, and Roald Dahl were all masters of the short story and of humor in that medium. You can't really go wrong with Wodehouse; start anywhere. For O'Henry, stand outs include The Ransom of Red Chief, The Cop and the Anthem.

With Saki, try The Schartz-Metterklume Method, Tobermory, The Open Window, The Quest, and just go from there. You can't go wrong with him either. Roald Dahl tends more to the macabre; I would suggest The Landlady, Lamb to the Slaughter, Skin, Taste.

Thanks for the suggestions (and links too). Looks like I have quite a few authors to try out.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Casey Finnigan posted:

I just finished reading Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt and I'm looking for stuff in a similar vein to the memoir parts of the novel. The comedy bits I could take or leave but the biographical portions really impressed me. I liked Have a Nice Day by Mick Foley back when I read it like four years ago too.

Mike Birbiglia's Sleepwalk With Me is an honest, funny and touching autobiography. Gets pretty heavy, but always remains extremely witty. Also worth hearing him doing a reading if it you can,

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Casey Finnigan posted:

Most definitely anything by David Sedaris, I recommend Naked, which is probably his best book.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

A bit more obscure:

My Daddy Was a Pistol (And I'm a Son of a Gun) by Lewis Grizzard. Reflections - some of them quite funny - on a mostly-absent father. It's out of print, but you can find it used very cheaply and if you're in the south, quite likely it's in a library.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

nakedolphin posted:

Thanks for the suggestions (and links too). Looks like I have quite a few authors to try out.

James Thurber is a great one to check out if you're into humorous short fiction.

nakedolphin
Nov 18, 2011

Hot Lava!

DrGonzo90 posted:

James Thurber is a great one to check out if you're into humorous short fiction.

Yea I've read My Life and Hard Times by him. The story about the stampede during the "flood" was pretty great.

Private Snowball
Jul 22, 2007

Ride the Snide
Where would one start with Michael Moorcock? I'm more interested in his science fiction work as I believe that is why some of my favourite writers(Grant Morrison) cite him as an influence.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kea posted:

I'm looking for good fantasy and science fiction. In fantasy I have recently finished the The name of the wind and its sequel by Patrick Rothfuss and more or less everything by Brandon sanderson. As for science fiction I love neuromancer and Gibsons other works as well as Snow Crash. For reference I read all the way through one of the wizards first rule books so i am not put off by less than masterpieces.

Here's a pretty surreal Scifi book that I think is pretty good.

Gun, With Occasional Music.

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Occasional-Music-Jonathan-Lethem/dp/0312858787

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Private Snowball posted:

Where would one start with Michael Moorcock? I'm more interested in his science fiction work as I believe that is why some of my favourite writers(Grant Morrison) cite him as an influence.

Grant Morrison stole quite a bit from Jerry Cornelius.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Cornelius
http://www.amazon.com/Cornelius-Quartet-Program-Assassin-Condition/dp/1568581831/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322672016&sr=8-2

ulmont fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 30, 2011

lasts years man
Jul 7, 2004
i have the neutron bomb

Dorepoll posted:

If you want more intergenerational family conflict, check out Russell Banks. I’ve read Cloudbuster and Continental Drift, and they were both great. He’s a little darker than Franzen, but he hits on similar themes. Alice Munroe is also really good at depicting the tension between individuals and families. And, as said below, DFW is definitely worth reading, if you haven’t.

Anyone have any recommendations for really deranged fiction, a la J.G. Ballard? I just finished reading Crash and Atrocity Exhibition and am looking for something in a similar vein. Or, if there is nothing in a similar vein, are there any lesser known Ballard novels I should check out?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Private Snowball posted:

I don't know about his science fiction work, but he's best know for the Elric series, which is very solid sword & sorcery fiction. Chabon (my favorite author) cites it as the source of his love of fantasy.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

lasts years man posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for really deranged fiction, a la J.G. Ballard? I just finished reading Crash and Atrocity Exhibition and am looking for something in a similar vein. Or, if there is nothing in a similar vein, are there any lesser known Ballard novels I should check out?

If you like him, you should certainly read at least High Rise and The Concrete Island, and a book or two of his short stories. His earlier material is more sci-fi, but from the very start he was interested in the grotesque and unsettling aspects of our society and really exaggerated those to create his sf.

As far as similar writers go...I know Terry Dowling cites him as an influence, but I wouldn't really say they're especially similar. I'm actually really struggling to come up with anything.

tabris
Feb 17, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

lasts years man posted:

You could try the novels of Hubert Selby, Jr. He wrote Requiem for a Dream (made famous through its movie adaptation), and I'd also recommend Last Exit to Brooklyn, and The Room.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Just read everything by sanderson and the name of the wind and its sequal. Can anyone point out any decent fantasy books along these lines? Not A song of ice and fire, i couldnt get into it.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
I'd really recommend every read Zero Sight and Zero Sum by B. Justin Shier. Really fantastic books about a young kid who's a mage, goes to a college and all that. It's not what you'd expect at all. He employs a few tropes for sure but turns just as many on their head.

The protagonist has a really great narrative voice. Pretty similar to Harry Dresden but younger and more smart rear end. The pacing is fantastic as well.

Go read the synopsis on Amazon for the first one (Zero Sight) and get it. It's only a few bucks.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I often acquire books for cheap at yard sales, book sales, etc without fully understanding what I'm buying. Often I end up with books that are a middle book in a series, and they end up just sitting on my shelf because I hate starting series in the middle. I'm finally determined to get the books required to start one of these series from beginning.

Which one should I read? I know it depends on taste, so just tell me which one you like best. I've attempted to summarize the series based on what little I know about them:

Spellsinger by Allen Dean Foster
Series about a dude that gets high and is pulled into a fantasy world with animal-like people.

The Grand Tour by Ben Bova
Exploring and colonizing the solar system. Many plants have life on them, past or present.

Ringworld by Larry Niven
SciFi series about a world with has a huge ring around it.

The History of the Runestaff by Michael Moorcock
Fantasy novel based in far-future Europe.

Discworld by Terry Pratchett
Comic fantasy series that sounds a lot like the hitchhker books.

Area 51 by Robert Doherty
Aliens are here, and the government is in on it! One man must uncover the truth.

The Lost Regiment by William Forstchen
A Civil War regiment oddly gets teleported into an alien world that has civilizations made up of descendants of people from various eras of Earth history.

A Time Odyssey by Arthur C. Clark
Looks like typical deep Arthur C. Clark monolith alien stuff is going on.

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
Fantasy, but not sure what makes it unique.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Grey posted:

Series about a dude that gets high and is pulled into a fantasy world with animal-like people.

Ringworld by Larry Niven

All of these are good. In terms of quality, it's probably Discworld, Ringworld, Spellsinger. Discworld and Spellsinger are both funny. Ringworld is classic SF.

Sword of Truth series sucks, btw.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The Grey posted:

It's an Objectivist screed written by the douchiest looking writer in all of fantasy.

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

Not quite as powerful as timelord
I'm just gonna pop in here again since I've gotten some really great suggestions before! :)

I was wondering what some good works are that explore the soul. I've been reading up on some stuff by Putnam and others that touch on the soul in the Aristotelian sense, but I wanna get a broader understanding of where we are on this subject. I also do not mind speculation here, mind you, I just want some ideas and ways of thinking about the soul.

Also, I would love to know if there is any fiction that focuses on exploration. Preferably something fantastic that does not actually exist (I imagine someone who does not remember anything and explores in a very descriptive way a world different from ours, but it doesn't have to be like that at all). I like most environments, but I especially like sandy and dry environments; I get too much of an Avatar vibe from lush jungle stuff. This is all a little vague but I'll take any and all suggestions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Grey posted:

This is the sort of semi-schlocky fantasy novel that's AWESOME when you're thirteen. There's a series of about six or seven books that follow it. It's not bad if your expectations aren't too high.

quote:

Ringworld by Larry Niven

The first book, the one actually titled Ringworld, is a sci-fi classic. Everything else in the Ringworld series is a huge DO NOT READ.

quote:

The History of the Runestaff by Michael Moorcock
Fantasy novel based in far-future Europe.

Haven't read this one but Moorcock is generally a decent author.

quote:

Everything by Pratchett is great. Start with either Guards, Guards or follow this chart: http://boingboing.net/2007/09/30/pratchetts-discworld.html

quote:

DO NOT READ Terry Goodkind under any circumstances. He's actually worse than David Weber. The only suitable use for Terry Goodkind novels is to donate them to prison libraries, so as to add to the torment of the incarcerated.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Free Weedlord posted:

Also, I would love to know if there is any fiction that focuses on exploration. Preferably something fantastic that does not actually exist (I imagine someone who does not remember anything and explores in a very descriptive way a world different from ours, but it doesn't have to be like that at all). I like most environments, but I especially like sandy and dry environments; I get too much of an Avatar vibe from lush jungle stuff. This is all a little vague but I'll take any and all suggestions.

Idle Days on the Yann by Lord Dunsany Start there. If you like it, there are probably a hundred-odd Dunsany short stories, plays, etc. all in the public domain.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 5, 2011

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Speaking of Discworld, what's a good book to start with? I know people say the earlier books are a bit not great, but I've heard a lot of different opinions on which book to read first.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Speaking of Discworld, what's a good book to start with? I know people say the earlier books are a bit not great, but I've heard a lot of different opinions on which book to read first.

Dude, one post up :P The best overall starting place is _Guards, Guards_. There are basically four starting points -- Equal Rites, Mort, Guards, or The Color of Magic, and of those four, _Guards, Guards_ is the best-polished -- the others really show that they're early works, but Guards is Pratchett at his peak, so it's the best overall place to start to find out if you'll like Pratchett generally.

You could also theoretically start with Wee Free Men or a few other places as per that chart I posted two up, but Guards,Guards is the best starting point overall.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Whoops. I even read your post; that's why I was thinking of Discworld.

Thanks. I just wish I could find it in trade paperback. Mass market paperbacks are a pet peeve of mine.

nakedolphin
Nov 18, 2011

Hot Lava!

Mass market paperbacks are a pet peeve of mine.

I second that, theyre just too drat small. Books for little people.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
But mass market books are so much cheaper.

In any case - has anyone read Guillermo del Toro/Chuck Hogan's Strain trilogy? If so, is it worth reading? I read "The Passage" at the beginning of the year, and while that had some good parts (especially near the beginning) I wasn't totally satisfied with it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Chamberk posted:

In any case - has anyone read Guillermo del Toro/Chuck Hogan's Strain trilogy? If so, is it worth reading? I read "The Passage" at the beginning of the year, and while that had some good parts (especially near the beginning) I wasn't totally satisfied with it.

I actually just finished The Strain trilogy. Finished the whole thing in two weeks. I couldn't put it down, its an interesting take on the vampire mixed in with history of the "vampire". I highly recommend it. I have not read The Passage, but I just read the description on Amazon and it looks interesting. The Strain Trilogy is different from the The Passage though, but thats just based on me reading the summary on Amazon.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Chamberk posted:

I'll refrain from spewing my hatred for The Passage here, but if one the things you disliked about included a lack of originality, lame stock characters, and the feeling that you're reading a movie script, skip The Strain. I didn't hate The Strain, however; it's fairly readable and there is one character/sub-plot that I think was actually pretty good.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
This is super-light reading, and if that's what you expect, it's reasonably entertaining.

Ringworld by Larry Niven
I enjoyed this, although I personally preferred his earlier Known Space stories. It just seemed to me like the novel was more about the gizmo than the people on it. That being said, the concept was certainly interesting.

Blech. I read three or four of these, and finally gave up. But then again I'm not into sadomasochism as a plot device. If that's your thing, maybe you'll enjoy them.

Edit: removed stray quote tag

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I just started The Strain yesterday. I'm about 20% through (yay, kindle with no page numbers!) and really liking it so far. I definitely get some of the "you're reading a movie script" thing, but in a good way, actually. The book feels really cinematic.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Day Man posted:

I just started The Strain yesterday. I'm about 20% through (yay, kindle with no page numbers!) and really liking it so far. I definitely get some of the "you're reading a movie script" thing, but in a good way, actually. The book feels really cinematic.

I feel the same way. It was good, but sometimes it really felt like it was just being set up for an easy screen adaptation. Also, moved onto the Fall, and I don't know if it's just me, but be ready for it to drag a bit after the first quarter. It just seems like they're talking about the same stuff, going to the same places, and doing the same things.

Still, a pretty entertaining read. I highly recommend the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I can't believe I'm asking this but can anyone recommend any good self help books? 2011 sucked balls for me (father died, bad break up) and I really need to get my poo poo in order.