Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
Jaha plays Lil B from his phone speaker into the mic while on stream commentating for thousands. Jaha has the worst gimmick ever and it doesnt belong on FG streams. He is also a misogynist and when I told him that on stream chat he tried to read the word misogynist when reading my comment aloud and couldn't pronounce it and then gave up. Jaha is a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
You're acting like a bunch of chat stream monsters right now Jaha owns.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

PonchAxis posted:

Stream monsters like him, though. I really don't. Also, even though he is on commentary, I rarely see him provide any sort of meaningful insight into the match or make the game more accessible for spectators (which is the purpose of commentary). Jaha is like fgc mystery science theatre and its bad

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

PonchAxis posted:

Swag

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Jeez stop being mad about commentators I want to hear some more sweet info about SC V from people who were at NEC instead.

tranceMD
Apr 25, 2006

Forsooth! Methinks thou art no ordinary talking chicken.
All that really matters in terms of any given competitive avenue's potential advancement is its potential for profitability. If a fighting game can hold a certain number of spectator eyes, it will be exploited for profit. The big Starcraft scene in Korea where games are televised and guys play professionally and the entire thing plays out similarly to how your average professional sport might, that happened because companies were willing to mine the game's audience for money. And yes, it is the audience that ultimately matters. Professional competitions on a base level exist because people want to watch.

To use a small but relevant example, a potential sponsor isn't going to pay to advertise their product on a stream because Justin Wong is playing Game X; they're going to pay because people are watching Justin Wong play Game X. You might try saying that these things are the same, but they are not. Justin Wong is easily replaced in this example. The audience is static and irreplaceable. It must exist to allow for commercial viability.

To single out people like Scoots or some commentator at Dreamhack is to miss the point. People equate to money, so where the people go, the business will follow. If the scene continues to grow in its popularity, it will steadily become more professional and more people like Scoots will begin to come around, i.e., they will be unable to ignore the potential for profit. And the level of play will absolutely rise as professionalism increases. There will be talented players who are willing to spend All drat Day practicing, and they will be given the opportunity to do so by that increase in cash flow. The level of play will rise, and you would ultimately see something similar to what exists in Starcraft now.

Is Daigo 100 times more likely to be randomed out of a tournament tomorrow than a top SC player? Yes, because the competitive structure is very different. This would eventually change in a more professional environment. Match structure would favor extended sets, something like a FT10, which would more closely align with the amount of time SC matches play out over. To compensate for this, many more filters for the competitors themselves would be put in place. You wouldn't have hundreds of guys signing up for the main event at Evo, you'd have to hundreds of guys trying to work their way through the qualification system for the opportunity to be among the few participating in the main event at Evo. These are all changes one might not like or appreciate, but it's an inevitability if things continue to progress. But who knows if they will or not, idk.

Cactus!
Sep 24, 2007

tranceMD posted:

All that really matters in terms of any given competitive avenue's potential advancement is its potential for profitability. If a fighting game can hold a certain number of spectator eyes, it will be exploited for profit. The big Starcraft scene in Korea where games are televised and guys play professionally and the entire thing plays out similarly to how your average professional sport might, that happened because companies were willing to mine the game's audience for money. And yes, it is the audience that ultimately matters. Professional competitions on a base level exist because people want to watch.

To use a small but relevant example, a potential sponsor isn't going to pay to advertise their product on a stream because Justin Wong is playing Game X; they're going to pay because people are watching Justin Wong play Game X. You might try saying that these things are the same, but they are not. Justin Wong is easily replaced in this example. The audience is static and irreplaceable. It must exist to allow for commercial viability.

To single out people like Scoots or some commentator at Dreamhack is to miss the point. People equate to money, so where the people go, the business will follow. If the scene continues to grow in its popularity, it will steadily become more professional and more people like Scoots will begin to come around, i.e., they will be unable to ignore the potential for profit. And the level of play will absolutely rise as professionalism increases. There will be talented players who are willing to spend All drat Day practicing, and they will be given the opportunity to do so by that increase in cash flow. The level of play will rise, and you would ultimately see something similar to what exists in Starcraft now.

Is Daigo 100 times more likely to be randomed out of a tournament tomorrow than a top SC player? Yes, because the competitive structure is very different. This would eventually change in a more professional environment. Match structure would favor extended sets, something like a FT10, which would more closely align with the amount of time SC matches play out over. To compensate for this, many more filters for the competitors themselves would be put in place. You wouldn't have hundreds of guys signing up for the main event at Evo, you'd have to hundreds of guys trying to work their way through the qualification system for the opportunity to be among the few participating in the main event at Evo. These are all changes one might not like or appreciate, but it's an inevitability if things continue to progress. But who knows if they will or not, idk.

Let me read all of these words... NOT lol

Whats the scoop on 2012 for PC? Any new info out there?? Holla at me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Jeez stop being mad about commentators I want to hear some more sweet info about SC V from people who were at NEC instead.

I hope someone chimes in on this too. I only saw like 2 seconds of the SC V stream, but apparently they've got supers now. That and the dress up mode is actually making me look forward to it.

I might be a scrub.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

Cactus! posted:

Whats the scoop on 2012 for PC? Any new info out there?? Holla at me

Do you mean AE2012? PC will get the patch on December 13 too.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

tranceMD posted:

Yeah basically no one wants the tournament structure to progress like this and it's one of the main reasons people reject capitalism in the FGC. The top players in the FGC are pretty drat accessible as far as top players in a competitive game go, and people don't want to see that change.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I don't think that many top players are "randomed out" at least in Street Fighter. Typically, the top players perform with a high degree of consistency at major tournaments. Sure, upsets do happen, but with the double elimination format the favorite usually tears through inferior opposition in the losers bracket and isn't hurt that much. When was the last time you saw a top player get eliminated by an unknown in Street Fighter? Now Marvel is an entirely different beast, but I think even that wouldn't be much of a problem if they made the matches 3/5.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Roguelike posted:

I hope someone chimes in on this too. I only saw like 2 seconds of the SC V stream, but apparently they've got supers now. That and the dress up mode is actually making me look forward to it.

I might be a scrub.

Don't worry, everyone likes dressup in fighting games.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I had fun making custom sprites in CvS2 v:shobon:v

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

PonchAxis posted:

Yeah they've tried this already and they used DOA and Virtua Fighter, followed by Tekken 6. And I think Brawl was a MLG game but honestly I have no idea.

Prolly because of MLG. The following of Tekken is pretty great with plenty of international players that travel frequently. Not sure why it was dropped~

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

whip posted:

Prolly because of MLG. The following of Tekken is pretty great with plenty of international players that travel frequently. Not sure why it was dropped~

Not Hardcore enough (not enough guns)

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Gutcruncher posted:

Not Hardcore enough (not enough guns)

We have 2 characters in particular whose arms are guns :3:

I need to watch Tekken: Blood Vengeance

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

whip posted:

Prolly because of MLG.

I hate MLG as much as anybody, but I think you are underestimating how difficult it is to generate cash money from tekken spectators.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My local lan cafe tried doing Brawl tournaments but they never bought anything ever, just got dropped off and picked up by their moms or friends, went to the back and didnt even purchase a fuckin soda.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

40 OZ posted:

I hate MLG as much as anybody, but I think you are underestimating how difficult it is to generate cash money from tekken spectators.

Did they do any fighting games at all after they dropped Tekken?

Robolizard! posted:

My local lan cafe tried doing Brawl tournaments but they never bought anything ever, just got dropped off and picked up by their moms or friends, went to the back and didnt even purchase a fuckin soda.

I went to a tournament on the north of Atlanta and 70 or so people show up Brawl. More than SF & Tekken combined :qq:

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Can someone please explain to me who this Christ Hu guy is? I've seen his commentary and him play the game but this guy just came from China to play video games and do commentary? What is his deal?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
He's an American citizen now, and he does some sort of financial work or diamonds or something. And he's an S+ tier commentator.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

kaujot posted:

He's an American citizen now, and he does some sort of financial work or diamonds or something. And he's an S+ tier commentator.

He used to sell pearl necklaces (seriously) but now he works at Next Level. His family moved here from China.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Wezlar posted:

He used to sell pearl necklaces (seriously) but now he works at Next Level. His family moved here from China.

Ah, I thought he was only working at Next Level in his spare time.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Also his family's house burned down and the community put together like a truck-full of dollars for them because he's pretty awesome.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

tzz posted:

Do you mean AE2012? PC will get the patch on December 13 too.

This has not been confirmed AFAIK.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

rivals posted:

This has not been confirmed AFAIK.

quote:

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition is available now for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. The Version 2012 update will be available for no charge on Dec 13, 2011.

Thanks

Capcom Europe PR Team

I don't think they'd mention the PC version in the press release about version 2012 if it wasn't going to get the patch, but who knows.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
That's awesome, no other announcement had been made that included PC. Everything I've seen/heard has just said "console" and they never specified if it included PC or not. Glad to hear that will be out at the same time.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

scuz posted:

Also his family's house burned down and the community put together like a truck-full of dollars for them because he's pretty awesome.

Burned down with his family's life savings inside it, because they didn't trust banks. I wouldn't either if I lived in the states :v:

Also I agree the mysogyny comments on stream, that poo poo gets annoying after a while. You can tell pretty easily from spooky's reactions when that stuff gets said that he doesn't like it, so I wonder why he doesn't put his foot down on it.

I mean Yipes swears a lot but I don't really recall him using the word "rape" to describe every match like some of the other people that get on the mic. Maybe I'm just blinded by my love for yipes' commentary :allears:.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm pretty sure Spooky has kicked Jaha off the mic before.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

flatluigi posted:

I'm pretty sure Spooky has kicked Jaha off the mic before.

It was for playing music and doing the swag poo poo DURING matches.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Dash O Pepper posted:

Burned down with his family's life savings inside it, because they didn't trust banks. I wouldn't either if I lived in the states :v:
They didn't trust the Chinese banks, which is why they did the mattress thing the way I heard/read-about it. But yeah, nobody with a brain trusts banks, even if they have their money in them.

quote:

Also I agree the mysogyny comments on stream, that poo poo gets annoying after a while. You can tell pretty easily from spooky's reactions when that stuff gets said that he doesn't like it, so I wonder why he doesn't put his foot down on it.

I mean Yipes swears a lot but I don't really recall him using the word "rape" to describe every match like some of the other people that get on the mic. Maybe I'm just blinded by my love for yipes' commentary :allears:.
My favorite part is the occasional "I need a girlfriend, shoutouts to all the single women out there" on stream between all their macho crap. At least they knocked off the "no homo" bullshit. Incremental changes, I guess v:shobon:v

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, the mysogyny should stop. During NEC, Persia and Nina did some commentary for Marvel, and Persia actually knows her poo poo, although she's not fuckin' Yipes or anything like that. But all you could see in the stream chat was "get this fuckin' bitches out of here" and variants there of, to stay with a tame example.

It got extremely annoying after a while, because they wouldn't say anything that wasn't direct offenses to the girls and flooded the chat with that. And okay, stream monsters will be stream monsters, but you get people on the mic reinforcing that type of behavior too. gently caress MLG and if they support us/we support them, poo poo like this is the most basic step to be treated as a legit competitive thing.

That's not me being all whiny about stupid jokes, I love offensive jokes, but you can notice when someone is actually being serious behind that sort of comment, especially when that's all they can say even after there's no girls to be seem on the stream.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Dias posted:

That's not me being all whiny about stupid jokes, I love offensive jokes, but you can notice when someone is actually being serious behind that sort of comment, especially when that's all they can say even after there's no girls to be seem on the stream.

Yeah that's kinda the problem with offensive jokes. They're you know, offensive. They offend people. How joking you think you are really doesn't make that big a difference

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Yeah that's kinda the problem with offensive jokes. They're you know, offensive. They offend people. How joking you think you are really doesn't make that big a difference

True that, but there's a world of difference between a Louis CK standup set and "hurr fat bitches show me your tits or get out", being offensive as a form of satire a la A Modest Proposal, etc, etc. Anyway, this is derailing this thread and we got another one for this sort of discussion.

Anyone gonna play Tekken Tag 2? I know you lot are allergic to 3D fighters, but Tekken Tag is pretty fast-paced and actually entertaining to watch. Unfortunately, my low-tier bitch condition flared up and Jun/Asuka apparently suck in this game. Not that Jun was good in TTT, quite the opposite. Fuckin' Mishimas.

EDIT: vvv that is true, I'm one of them, hehe. The only player that picked that team up in NEC got blown up pretty badly too.

Dias fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 6, 2011

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, Asuka/Jun tend to attract a lot of bad players for some reason, so tier speculation may not be all that accurate.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Yoshimitsu looks great in TTT2 but Alisa lost her good backdash so looks like team Alishitsu evens out~

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

washow posted:

Can someone please explain to me who this Christ Hu guy is? I've seen his commentary and him play the game but this guy just came from China to play video games and do commentary? What is his deal?
On top of what has already been said: when Chris is on his game, he's one of the better players in New York. Just behind Dieminion and Arturo IMO.

Dias posted:

Yeah, the mysogyny should stop. During NEC, Persia and Nina did some commentary for Marvel, and Persia actually knows her poo poo, although she's not fuckin' Yipes or anything like that.
Actually, she is fuckin' Yipes. Persia is his girlfriend.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

iPodschun posted:

Actually, she is fuckin' Yipes. Persia is his girlfriend.

...and that's why you need to be careful in your usage of expletives, people.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Can't wait to try out TTT2 this weekend! Feels good having an arcade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chris hu accent just makes his commentary even more funny in my opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diHkCGthGF8
its loud so may want to turn down the volume.

• Locked thread