Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I think my brain is still barfing up trauma from the Dark Tower series, 6 years later. :(

At the end of the last book, Daenerys will finally reach King's Landing, she'll open the door to the Red Keep and in front of her will be the Dothraki Sea. An irresistable force will push her through the door.

"Victory. But not for you, Targaryan. Never for you. You darkle. You tinct. May I be brutally frank? You go on. And each time you forget the last time. For you, each time is the first time.
She made one final effort to draw back: hopeless. Rhollor was stronger.

She shakes her head to clear it. Wasn't she just doing something else? To either side of her are her new husband, Khal Drogo,and her brother Viserys. She reaches down and touches the Horn of Joramun.

Spoiled for those who haven't finish Dark Tower yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh, we've spoiled Dark Tower numerous times in this thread, I'm sure. I remember a few derails of how incredibly stupid it was.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Tyrion I must warn you
I sense something strange in my mind
Yo situation is serious
Let's cure it 'cause we're running out of time
it's all so beautiful
Trials by battle they seem from the start
It's all so deadly
When Dornish Princes roll on in to play a part

It's driving me out of my mind
That's why it's hard for me to find
Can't get it outta my head Gregor, Lannister, Highgarden, wrong move you're dead...

never trust a longspear and a smile

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

It's sad in a way that I've resigned myself to the fact that GRRM will most likely die before completeing his fantasy dodecaolgy or however many books it'll take to end it.

I came into this series as the last (long) iteration of the bad thread was dying down, and was astonished by the content, not necessarily in a good way. Having "finished" the series and gone through the customary discussions with friends and forumgoers, I now see how something like the bad thread could form. I'm not comfortable with that realization.

Somebody write a Ser Robert Strong PI.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aurubin posted:

It's sad in a way that I've resigned myself to the fact that GRRM will most likely die before completeing his fantasy dodecaolgy or however many books it'll take to end it.

I came into this series as the last (long) iteration of the bad thread was dying down, and was astonished by the content, not necessarily in a good way. Having "finished" the series and gone through the customary discussions with friends and forumgoers, I now see how something like the bad thread could form. I'm not comfortable with that realization.

One of us, one of us, one of us...

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Aurubin posted:

My friend just finished the books and came to basically all the bad thread's conclusions on his own. poo poo owned.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 6, 2011

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

uncle jimbo posted:

My friend just finished the books and came to basically all the bad thread's conclusions on his own. poo poo owned.

The bad thread is inevitable. It is known.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

neongrey posted:

The bad thread is inevitable. It is known.

It is known. It was, is, and always will be. The wheel of.time keeps a-turnin'.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

http://www.dorkly.com/article/26731/the-nine-greatest-nerd-fears-today

I wonder if Martin gives a gently caress to be honest, I mean, by reputation he's supposed to be the go to guy at conventions, so surely multiple fans have voiced their concerns about his health. Do it for the fans, man, the smelly fans...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He hates his fans, unless they're females he can inappropriately touch. Someone post those pictures from the bad thread OPs of yore.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My guess is that by this point he sees aSoIaF as a job that he's stuck with, and sees the fans as little more than customers. Conceptually the only difference between him and a McDonalds worker is that he only needs to make one burger and it takes him 5 years to do it.

When did he decide to make the whole thing more than a trilogy anyway? I bet he wakes up in the morning regretting that decision all the time.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
The end of that Davos chapter where they hint he's going to Skagos is the biggest :ohdear: of the entire series. Only bad things happen there. :(

Someone mentioned Aegon having been theorized in the story since the very beginning. Where were the hints for that?

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

My guess is that by this point he sees aSoIaF as a job that he's stuck with, and sees the fans as little more than customers. Conceptually the only difference between him and a McDonalds worker is that he only needs to make one burger and it takes him 5 years to do it.

When did he decide to make the whole thing more than a trilogy anyway? I bet he wakes up in the morning regretting that decision all the time.

He probably doesn't wake up in the mornings

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

Someone mentioned Aegon having been theorized in the story since the very beginning. Where were the hints for that?

The biggest hint that had people thinking it for a very long time was that in interviews GRRM was cagey and avoidant about saying that Aegon was dead, whereas he'd always straight-up confirm Rhaenys as having died of a couple of dozen stabbings.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Aurubin posted:

http://www.dorkly.com/article/26731/the-nine-greatest-nerd-fears-today

I wonder if Martin gives a gently caress to be honest, I mean, by reputation he's supposed to be the go to guy at conventions, so surely multiple fans have voiced their concerns about his health. Do it for the fans, man, the smelly fans...

He doesn't give a gently caress.

He's bitched on his blog about people saying they're worried he'll die before the series is done, and like a petulant child, he says that he will leave instructions to have all his notes destroyed after his death if that should happen (it will).

The Bad Thread evolved as it did for far more reasons than just irritation over having to wait forever between books.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 7, 2011

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

He doesn't give a gently caress.

He's bitched on his blog about people saying they're worried he'll die before the series is done, and like a petulant child, he says that he will leave instructions to have all his notes destroyed after his death if that should happen (it will).

The Bad Thread evolved as it did for far more reasons than just irritation over having to wait forever between books.

HBO has those notes now, worthless as they may be.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Maarak posted:

Yes I recall hearing one of the caveats with the show was that he had to share with the producers how the whole thing ends.

I do love GRRM's website though, it is straight out of 1998.

Ross fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 7, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

GRRM's entire net presence is from 1998. Dude still uses LiveJournal. He could totally migrate to Wordpress; I think the professional version even has tools to import posts and their comment chains, so he wouldn't lose his wonderful history of getting fellated by fans for no reason.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maarak posted:

If the last 10 years have taught us anything, it's that Gurm's notes are probably some weak ending with no roadmap as to how to get to it. Not that HBO is going to stick it out for 7-8 seasons anyway.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

IRQ posted:

If the last 10 years have taught us anything, it's that Gurm's notes are probably some weak ending with no roadmap as to how to get to it. Not that HBO is going to stick it out for 7-8 seasons anyway.

The notes are probably about a dozen or so characters and plots that haven't been introduced to the reader yet.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

GRRM's entire net presence is from 1998. Dude still uses LiveJournal. He could totally migrate to Wordpress; I think the professional version even has tools to import posts and their comment chains, so he wouldn't lose his wonderful history of getting fellated by fans for no reason.

Its not for no reason... his semen tastes like cinnamon and lamprey pie.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Capsaicin posted:

The end of that Davos chapter where they hint he's going to Skagos is the biggest :ohdear: of the entire series. Only bad things happen there. :(

I'm saying this in hindsight but there were an awful lot of references to his baby head getting smashed whenever they talked about it, making identification difficult.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

IRQ posted:

HBO's already in it for four seasons. (No announcement, but the crew is scheduled to return to filming in May doing S3 and S4 concurrently) For a friend, I summarized the last two books and it took me three pages to get the important info out, so I assume they'll knock that out in ten episodes. If anything, I think the show is going to catch up to him somewhere between 6 and 7. I wouldn't be surprised (if HBO doesn't cancel it after what will likely be a horrible S5) that the final book and final season come out at nearly the same time and the writers on the show have a hand in getting the story done.

And that's all considering the writers don't say "This really should have been a loving trilogy" and wrap things up their own way at the end of S4.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
They seemed pretty smart about what to pull from book 2 into S1, I trust they'll be able to craft decent seasons out of the material and then have some sort of terrible situation when they catch up.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Arms_Akimbo posted:

And that's all considering the writers don't say "This really should have been a loving trilogy" and wrap things up their own way at the end of S4.
This could be the best possible outcome of all time. HBO does the entire series in 4 amazing seasons with no bullshit. Everybody is satisfied even thought book 6 and 7 still hasn't come out which causes the GURM to panic and start churning out chapters. At this point nobody cares :unsmith:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

While I haven't yet had the time to develop the sulfuric vitriol that bad thread veterans have, this is a character driven book series. This necessitates long, (from a narrative perspective) uncondensed passages of time to make their development seem organic. Moral ambiguity is hard to show in 200 words or less. That said, less loving food descriptions. I get it, everybody ate lamprey pie in the 1200s, move on.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Aurubin posted:

Moral ambiguity is hard to show in 200 words or less.

Maybe. Maybe not. Who's to say?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If this book is being driven by characters that would explain why it's careening out of control, destined to jump a siderail and litter bodies all along the interstate.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Maybe. Maybe not. Who's to say?

Brevity is wit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It wouldn't be the worst-thing to have the epic be driven by characters, but to do that he'd need to actually move the characters about. I like that he spends lots of time with each character's thoughts as they move into a new environment, but for gently caress's sake you can actually skip forward in time and not lose out on organic nuance.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The worst thing is, GRRM CAN really move the plot along when he wants to. It was one of the great things about the first three books. Pretty much every single chapter would change something. And look at Jon Connington. Two or three chapters and he's gone from captaining a river boat to having reclaimed his castle across the sea.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Junkenstein posted:

And look at Jon Connington. Two or three chapters and he's gone from captaining a river boat to having reclaimed his castle across the sea.

...aaaaaand already has a death sentence.

gurm Absolute Fucker: "look at how well I can introduce a character, make you care about him in a short period of time!. Oh, by the way, don't get used to him existing, he'll be dead in a short while." :smug:

gurm Absolute Fucker edit: "or WILL HE??????

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 8, 2011

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
Time Magazine:
Best fiction of 2011: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

quote:

It was, famously, six years between the last Song of Ice and Fire book and this one. What was George R.R. Martin doing all that time? Was he wandering in the wilderness? Was he sunning on the beaches of Dorne? No: he was girding his loins and rallying the banners, and he has come charging back with one of the strongest books of the series, and the year.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He was certainly doing something with his loins.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I'm surprised their "Best Novel of 2011" wasn't just a mirrored surface.

YOU are the best novel!

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Thanks for naming nine books worse than Dance, Time. I'll be sure to avoid them.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Literature is dead. Long lives vivid descriptions of nubile girls making GBS threads in rivers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Thomase posted:

Time Magazine:

You missed an important part here:

1. A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin
By Lev Grossman

If you're familiar with Mr. Grossman's novels (The Magicians, The Magician King), the fact that he thinks ADWD is good should not in the least surprise you.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Thomase posted:

Time Magazine:

The gently caress. A_H write the piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Haha, no. That would require A_H to be a published author.