Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

BigHandsVince posted:

Also, we liked the original GTA theme tune so much, my first band covered it, and the crowds loved it. I've got a lovely recording somewhere but I don't know if I've got the balls to post it.

By original GTA theme you mean Joyride, right?

If it is, you gotta post that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

K8.0 posted:

The video editor's camera functions are by far the best of any such system in a game. You just need to learn how to use it, it's REALLY good.
Ok, no, gently caress this. I dare you to show me a video showcasing complex shots using the blend function that are actually smooth. I haven't yet seen any, nor can I achieve them myself. The blend function is a jerky, broken piece of poo poo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

csidle posted:

Ok, no, gently caress this. I dare you to show me a video showcasing complex shots using the blend function that are actually smooth. I haven't yet seen any, nor can I achieve them myself. The blend function is a jerky, broken piece of poo poo.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/check-out-this-full-length-gta-4-machinima-movie/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Speaking of something broken, I can't seem to get the high end clothing store in SA to work :(. CJ pops in the dressing room and doesn't come out at all. What?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Speaking of something broken, I can't seem to get the high end clothing store in SA to work :(. CJ pops in the dressing room and doesn't come out at all. What?

Maybe that's where Bigfoot was all along, in the dressing room of Didier Sachs. Man how weird/sad is it that I remember clothing store names in GTA games better than I do real life ones?

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

That video avoids using blended shots. He uses linear shots specifically, because the blend function is a piece of poo poo and he knows it. The rare time he does use blend, though, it is jerky as per the norm. This happens in the first 3 minutes, and specifically again at 5:05 and 5:43. The guy who made that video awesome and even he can't get smooth shots with blend. Thus confirming my suspicion that loving nobody can get smooth video out of that buggy-rear end function.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

This was a well-known bug back when the game came out, but to my knowledge it only ever seemed to manifest if there were any mods at all applied to the game (Hot Coffee, GTASA Control Center, etc.). If you don't have any mods installed, it looks like you're just really, really unlucky.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

Maybe that's where Bigfoot was all along, in the dressing room of Didier Sachs. Man how weird/sad is it that I remember clothing store names in GTA games better than I do real life ones?

CJ obviously has found GTA V though a time portal and isn't coming back. Seriously though, this sucks. No kick rear end Suge Knight style suit for me.

Also, gently caress the STEAM forums when looking for answers. I swear every STEAM forum is just people complaining.

Willie Trombone posted:

This was a well-known bug back when the game came out, but to my knowledge it only ever seemed to manifest if there were any mods at all applied to the game (Hot Coffee, GTASA Control Center, etc.). If you don't have any mods installed, it looks like you're just really, really unlucky.

Really really really unlucky. Nothing modded about my GTA SA.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

csidle posted:

That video avoids using blended shots. He uses linear shots specifically, because the blend function is a piece of poo poo and he knows it. The rare time he does use blend, though, it is jerky as per the norm. This happens in the first 3 minutes, and specifically again at 5:05 and 5:43. The guy who made that video awesome and even he can't get smooth shots with blend. Thus confirming my suspicion that loving nobody can get smooth video out of that buggy-rear end function.
Calm down, Ace. It was their first time making a replay editor and its pretty awesome for what it is. I doubt their intention was "complex shots".

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Anyone elses AV freak out when going to this site?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

thebardyspoon posted:

What'd be bad is if you saw a Porsche in real life and though it was a Comet. Also, despite the similarity in spelling, I wish they hadn't picked the name Coquette for the Corvette-looking car. Just makes it seem so girly.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Cage posted:

Calm down, Ace. It was their first time making a replay editor and its pretty awesome for what it is. I doubt their intention was "complex shots".
You joking? I'm pretty sure their intention was exactly 'complex shots.' That is exactly what the blend function is supposed to enable. The blend function is simply broken. Besides, whether it was their first time or not is irrelevant. I suggested that the function was broken, people disagreed. I asked for proof, and picked what proof you tried to present apart. Now, your opinion seems to have changed. I would love to hear what you think they were going for with the blend function if not smooth, complex shots.

I realize I sound pissed off or something -- I'm not, I'm just really frustrated by not being able to do smooth camera moves with the video editor. It's obvious they tried to enable it, but they probably didn't get to finish it before release.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

What is the blend function?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

csidle posted:

You joking? I'm pretty sure their intention was exactly 'complex shots.' That is exactly what the blend function is supposed to enable. The blend function is simply broken. Besides, whether it was their first time or not is irrelevant. I suggested that the function was broken, people disagreed. I asked for proof, and picked what proof you tried to present apart. Now, your opinion seems to have changed. I would love to hear what you think they were going for with the blend function if not smooth, complex shots.

I realize I sound pissed off or something -- I'm not, I'm just really frustrated by not being able to do smooth camera moves with the video editor. It's obvious they tried to enable it, but they probably didn't get to finish it before release.
I dunno the movie I linked looks p good to me.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Good luck with the getting the Didier Sachs glitch solution, getting help with my crashes was like getting blood out of a stone on the STEAM forums (I never got help outside the 'update driverzzz').

Maybe you can update your drivers? :unsmith:

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I only have the console version of SA so I don't know what this entails, but you could try actually installing a mod and seeing if that fixes it and then uninstalling the mod and seeing if that also fixes it, since (from what I remember) so many people who fixed the problem reported that it was fixed by uninstalling mods. Alternatively, try reinstalling the game? I dunno, I'm having trouble remembering.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

csidle posted:

I agree with this totally. I remember spending so much time with the blend function just trying to wrestle it into looking decent and I don't think I was ever satisfied with it, there were even times where the camera would flip the gently caress out and spin around like a retard when it just had to look at few inches in either direction. I loved the GTA replay editor, but even SR3's not-fully-implemented recording feature that had to be modded back in has a much smarter blend feature.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Cage posted:

I dunno the movie I linked looks p good to me.
Did you even read the post you're replying to? The video looks great because the guy who made it is awesome, and because he uses linear shots and not blended shots.

Vivek posted:

What is the blend function?
The 'free camera' tool in the Video Editor has two modes of movement. One is linear, which simply moves it from one position+orientation to the other, and the other is blend, which is meant to blend together several positions+orientations to create one, flowing shot. The problem is that the function is seemingly unfinished, and it is essentially impossible to do this without jerky transitions. I can render a video once I get home to show what I mean.

csidle fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 5, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Willie Trombone posted:

I only have the console version of SA so I don't know what this entails, but you could try actually installing a mod and seeing if that fixes it and then uninstalling the mod and seeing if that also fixes it, since (from what I remember) so many people who fixed the problem reported that it was fixed by uninstalling mods. Alternatively, try reinstalling the game? I dunno, I'm having trouble remembering.

I'm using the STEAM version which means if I use the tool to downgrade back to pre-Hot Coffee era GTA SA I'm going to have to start a new game as it won't load my current vanilla install ones.

I might consider reinstalling it. I could just keep playing and stay with my less refined ghetto stuff...

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm using the STEAM version which means if I use the tool to downgrade back to pre-Hot Coffee era GTA SA I'm going to have to start a new game as it won't load my current vanilla install ones.

I might consider reinstalling it. I could just keep playing and stay with my less refined ghetto stuff...

This just reminded me what a huge disappointment Hot Coffee was. Once the news broke and everyone was flipping their poo poo about how there's depraved sex in a video game I was like okay, I'll try it. I thought maybe it was some alternate gameworld minigame with higher polygon/texture characters or something, but it was literally just the normal low res game characters jumping on a bed, in their clothes. It was the least aroused I've been by a video game since Congo Bongo on the Colecovision.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

csidle posted:

Did you even read the post you're replying to? The video looks great because the guy who made it is awesome, and because he uses linear shots and not blended shots.
I saw some blended shots, looks fine to me. Just practice with the editor more.

Cage fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 6, 2011

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Cage posted:

So just use linear shots. I dont see what the problem is.
Then don't get involved in the debate.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Good news, the bug was temporary. I got my sweet Green Knight suit and a bitching cane. Now to expose Tenpenny.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

SeanBeansShako posted:

If there's one change I really really want for GTA V it's clothing options that change instantly. I want to scroll through a list of options and have it instantly change the look of the character, which I can then select if I like it. Having to wait 5 seconds or more just to see how an option looks is awful. Please Rockstar, use this from the Saints Row series. I don't care if there's not that many options, just don't make changing clothes take 5 minutes.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice
In other news (not GTA V) GTA III is coming to Android and iOS december 15..

Now I just need a new phone.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

NOBEARD posted:

In other news (not GTA V) GTA III is coming to Android and iOS december 15..

Now I just need a new phone.

Is that car in the first screenshot new? I dont remember that in the PC version, but ive been too long since Ive played.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nah that's just the Yardie Lobo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I feel like that will be an absolute bitch to play on my iPhone with the on-screen joysticks, like Chinatown Wars was for me. It's pretty neat that it'll be available on there, though.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
So on GTA4 for PC, I can watch a replay of the last bit of action with a free camera? Slow motion? Freely rewindable?

Jesus, that was loads of fun rewatching multiplayer games with friends on Halo, mowing people down on GTA and watching them fly in slow motion will never get old.

Just Cause 2 was nearly there, but you couldn't move the camera freely, infuriating if something awesome happened off-camera.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I feel like that will be an absolute bitch to play on my iPhone with the on-screen joysticks, like Chinatown Wars was for me. It's pretty neat that it'll be available on there, though.

Technically it's pretty impressive, and the idea is really cool, but it looks hard to play on an iPad screen, and is presumably 10 times worse on the iPhone.

On the other hand, the gunplay probably won't be any worse than it already was... (hopefully they'll have gone for tap-to-shoot controls)

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 6, 2011

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Why the heck don't they just make a couple of official bluetooth (or whatever Apple uses) game controllers

Or for the iphone some kind of control/sleeve to attach?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
To go with GTA 3 mobile, Lips 106 and Head Radio have 7-song collections on itunes for $3

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've never seen the appeal of mini games.

(not including casual games as they're built for small devices)

Boy, I sure am enjoying my game on my tiny screen. Normally I'll extrapolate my opinions and think of the good and bad, but, GTA3 on an iPhone, with awful controls, how are you meant to shoot, imagine doing drive bys..I...I...I don't even.

Stick to Angry Birds and fatbooth...

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I liked the ipod Chinatown Wars but probably because I don't have a DS or PSP and had to make do or do without.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ElwoodCuse posted:

To go with GTA 3 mobile, Lips 106 and Head Radio have 7-song collections on itunes for $3

Now THIS I will absolutely throw money at!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I have an Android tablet that can HDMI out to the TV and use bluetooth or wired controllers, so that's what I'll be using for GTA III. I mean I could find a copy of GTA III for Xbox somewhere and then use it on my 360, but that'll be all standard def and close fog, and hooking up my pc to the TV would just be too annoying.

Incidentally, ElwoodCuse, you should really try the PSP version of Chinatown Wars, it's really a lot better with real controls than the ipod touch/iphone touchscreen stuff.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Chinatown Wars was the only thing I played on my iPhone until I beat it. Really enjoyed it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I had already played through / beaten Chinatown Wars on DS before I got my first iPhone, so that when I got the game on iPhone, I didn't really care enough to play it all over again with terrible controls.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Why the heck don't they just make a couple of official bluetooth (or whatever Apple uses) game controllers

Or for the iphone some kind of control/sleeve to attach?

There are attachable controller sticks that suction onto your screen safely for the iPod, iPhone and iPad. I saw them on thinkgeek.com. Also, I'm so loving excited that it's also coming to the iPod 4th gen. I just bought one a while ago and it was basically to just play games while I was at work. Previously I thought they were only bringing it to the new iPhone.

I hope they make a lot of loving money off of this so they think about re-making Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories for Apple devices and Androids. I have never played those games and I consider myself a huge Grand Theft Auto fan. I just never owned a PSP.

LA attack fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I had never played the Stories games either, but I got a pack of both of them on PS2 last year and tried to play them. They didn't grab me that much at all. I don't know what it was, but I just couldn't get into either one of them. But I will say that Liberty City Stories had motorcycles, and riding through the streets of GTA3's Liberty City on a motorcycle was loving awesome.

• Locked thread