Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HiddenReplaced posted:

We're attorneys SV. How hosed up is that? We weren't even law students when we came to this thread, and now we're attorneys?

We've been in here forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

HiddenReplaced posted:

We're attorneys SV. How hosed up is that? We weren't even law students when we came to this thread, and now we're attorneys?

http://youtu.be/0HDM3eYp4KQ?t=1m15s

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

HiddenReplaced posted:

You weren't law students yet when I graduated from law school

but that's okay because I'm not a lawyer now so booyah

Secret Asian Man
Jun 17, 2006

im getting sworn in tomorrow lmao

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
More anxious about 2L exams than 1L.

Why am I broken.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

is this the thread where we brag about our MPRE scores

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
~37 hours until my Admin law final.

Kill me now :-/

Green Crayons posted:

More anxious about 2L exams than 1L.

Why am I broken.

I'm more nervous about this one exam than I was about some of my 1L exams. Am I broken too?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Lilosh posted:

~37 hours until my Admin law final.

Kill me now :-/

gently caress this class. I have an outline but don't have the slightest clue how to answer an Admin problem. I invite suggestions.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

sigmachiev posted:

gently caress this class. I have an outline but don't have the slightest clue how to answer an Admin problem. I invite suggestions.

My best suggestion is:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

sigmachiev posted:

Chevron, next.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

haha I know man, this poo poo is ridiculous :shobon:

also, I experienced a client lying to my face for the first time today. i'm a real lawyer now

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Erdricks posted:

Chevron, next.

Thanks, it all makes perfect sense now.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Erdricks posted:

Chevron, next.

It's this, for real.

I'm trying to remember my admin exam and it was something like:

Q1: A SCOTUS opinion we had not seen, we had to write a mini law review article critiquing it. I mentioned Chevron a lot.

Q2: An issue involving deference to agencies and statutory interpretation. We had to write a majority opinion and either a concurrence or dissent. I mentioned Chevron a lot.

Just look at the professor's past exams and see what kind of questions he asks, then pack Chevron into your answers as much as possible.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

mikeraskol posted:

Just look at the professor's past exams and see what kind of questions he asks, then pack Chevron into your answers as much as possible.

My professor has no past exams online.

It's going to be 10 "short answer" questions in 2.5 hours, that are poo poo like "Explain the difference between the modern due process doctrine and the right/privilege distinction" or "Explain the principle of regulatory ossification and what contributes to it".

After those 10 questions, we have an hour to write an essay responding to a 12-page law review article about why the administrative state is unconstitutional. She wants us to "discuss and respond to the article" either agreeing or disagreeing, and discussing the implications of our answer. The article was posted last week, and we're allowed/expected to bring an outline of our answer in with us.

Ugh. Why can't this just be an issue spotter?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lilosh posted:

My best suggestion is:

Over priced blended scotch? Actually yeah, that's fitting for law school.
Now, this 25 year old Talisker cask strength. That's a man's drink.
(Also, because it was bottled in 2004, it is older than me, though scotch doesn't age in the bottle.)

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Tetrix posted:

is this the thread where we brag about our MPRE scores

Any 86s in here? I know at least two people who ended up with the optimal score.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Alright here we go, Fed Tax on Thursday, Nonprofits on Friday, Native Hawaiian Rights paper due Monday, Secured Transactions on Wednesday, Conflicts take-home due next Friday. After this mess its just 12 credits of clinics and externship for me baby.

Good luck to everyone else in finals, except for you 1Ls. Give it up when you still got time. Don't get to your 2L summer before you realize you hate the law profession.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Any 86s in here? I know at least two people who ended up with the optimal score.

I got an 82 out of the required 80 in IL. Proudest day of my life.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
i had a final yesterday and a final monday and tax is today. i don't remember anything and i'm hosed.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Boo Cocky posted:

30 minutes before my Civil Procedure final exam. Wish me luck, goons!

(don't go, kids, I'm a callous shell of my former self and this is only my first exam)

Goddamnit I had a dream about Civ Pro exams yesterday thanks to you. I just put a big line across the page, wrote a zero, and got crunk. It was a pretty ok dream but I haven't had a law school exam in three years!

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Hey, I found an ad on craigslist looking for someone to print out and deliver motions as needed (like once a day if that). I asked how much they were offering per motion and the person who replied asked me how much I was looking for. What the heck should I say? Do any current lawyers pay someone to do this, and if so how much?

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
We've got a 1L who has an M.D. and was a diagnostician for seven years :v:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

heat posted:

Hey, I found an ad on craigslist looking for someone to print out and deliver motions as needed (like once a day if that). I asked how much they were offering per motion and the person who replied asked me how much I was looking for. What the heck should I say? Do any current lawyers pay someone to do this, and if so how much?

Most lawyers just use a courier service if they need something hand-delivered in a day. I don't think they hire a dedicated staff member to do that.

If you want to price your delivery rate, call up some courier services and get price quotes from them, and calibrate your rate accordingly.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
Heh.

Good luck on exams!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What is that from, and what is s/he holding, a staff? Torch?

I'm thinking it is a broom and it is a metaphore for the law student's future career as a better-paid-than-a-lawyer school custodian.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

entris posted:

What is that from, and what is s/he holding, a staff? Torch?

I'm thinking it is a broom and it is a metaphore for the law student's future career as a better-paid-than-a-lawyer school custodian.

It's a broom. The pic is adapted from this entry from Hyperbole and a Half. Knowing this immediately will be helpful on my tax exam, right? ...right?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

entris posted:

Most lawyers just use a courier service if they need something hand-delivered in a day. I don't think they hire a dedicated staff member to do that.

If you want to price your delivery rate, call up some courier services and get price quotes from them, and calibrate your rate accordingly.

Yeah it looks like it's not regular enough to pay someone hourly, and they're probably trying to find a schmuck such as myself to do it for way less than a courier charges. Good idea though, I'll do that.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

This is why everyone hates lawyers, and why most people should never go to law school. It may be a little EN, but I'm posting it for the benefit all of you people who think that getting a job is the worst part of it.

My landlord is a 13th year biglaw litigation associate. Keep that in mind when reading the exchange below.

quote:

Me = :c00l:
My landlord = :downsbravo:

:downsbravo: I wanted to hire an inspector and have him inspect our house, so that we can take measures on things that deserve attention. Would you be able to spare about 2-3 hours (he estimated it should take about 2.5 hours) so that he can inspect our house? Please propose for us some time slots in the next 7 days (including weekends), so that I may schedule an appointment for him. You need not necessarily be present in the house, and may in fact prefer that (e.g., to avoid his minor interference).

I think this will serve both of us well, and ask for your kind cooperation in advance.

:c00l: My wife is being induced tomorrow. Can we do this sometime later in the month, or right around the beginning of the year?

:downsbravo: I hope everything goes well tomorrow. Nonetheless, pushing this off until early next year is not a good-faith attempt on your part. Would it be
possible for us to commit to a day -- ANY day before the end of the year or
preferably Dec 25 -- to allow a mere 2.5 hour inspection on our home? If
that is not possible, we can shorten it to a 1 hour inspection, and we will
do our best to stick to that schedule.

We are not insensitive to your current demands, as we ourselves have also
gone through pregnancy and delivery, but still managed to get things done for
the house both during and after the process. Other couples do so as well.
It is a good-faith effort that I ask of you. We can work during the time
that you and your wife are at the hospital, or any other brief window(s) of time
that you see fit. However, because we have to coordinate with the
inspector's busy schedule and our own schedule as well (since we have equally
demanding travel and family obligations as well), you need to provide us with
some dates that will work, and it is imperative that you not simply stonewall
this.

:c00l: :ughh:

The worst part of the legal profession is dealing with idiots like this. My boss would kick my rear end if I ever wrote something so terribad.

fakeedit: updated emoticon

Erdricks fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 8, 2011

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I like that he didn't even read what you said and just immediately launched into idiot mode.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

diospadre posted:

I like that he didn't even read what you said and just immediately launched into idiot mode.

FWIW, he didn't just launch into idiot mode. He lives in idiot mode. This isn't the first time he's done insane stuff like this. I usually just ignore it, but I'm particularly pissed because of (1) how much of an rear end in a top hat you have to be to throw that poo poo bomb at someone who is about to have a kid and (2) how callow this response is - he consents to my request, but then accuses me of bad faith. And, at the same time, tells me that the super important 3 hour inspection really can be done in 1 hour.... hmmmmm........

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
lol @ 13th year associate

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Phil Moscowitz posted:

lol @ 13th year associate

That's like a 13th year second string Vikings quarterback. Your day will never come, your star will never shine brightly, and you probably suck.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

runoverbobby posted:

We've got a 1L who has an M.D. and was a diagnostician for seven years :v:

Why on earth would anyone go to Law School

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Erdricks posted:

FWIW, he didn't just launch into idiot mode. He lives in idiot mode. This isn't the first time he's done insane stuff like this. I usually just ignore it, but I'm particularly pissed because of (1) how much of an rear end in a top hat you have to be to throw that poo poo bomb at someone who is about to have a kid and (2) how callow this response is - he consents to my request, but then accuses me of bad faith. And, at the same time, tells me that the super important 3 hour inspection really can be done in 1 hour.... hmmmmm........

Also good luck having a baby tomorrow.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
That's cool congrats, I wish I had some joy in my life.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 8, 2011

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Erdricks posted:

This is why everyone hates lawyers, and why most people should never go to law school. It may be a little EN, but I'm posting it for the benefit all of you people who think that getting a job is the worst part of it.

My landlord is a 13th year biglaw litigation associate. Keep that in mind when reading the exchange below.

The worst part of the legal profession is dealing with idiots like this. My boss would kick my rear end if I ever wrote something so terribad.

fakeedit: updated emoticon

To be quite honest, I've won a few "Your honor, I oppose because this idiot's motions are approximately 95% worthless" motions in front of my really awesome judge. You should threaten your 13th year 4th string quarterback of a landlord with threatening language. It'll probably intimidate him into a fumble.

Edit: just like Christian Ponder :(

BigHead fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 8, 2011

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

BigHead posted:

To be quite honest, I've won a few "Your honor, I oppose because this idiot's motions are approximately 95% worthless" motions in front of my really awesome judge. You should threaten your 13th year 4th string quarterback of a landlord with threatening language. It'll probably intimidate him into a fumble.

Edit: just like Christian Ponder :(

Thanks for the goodwill, everyone.

I usually don't acknowledge his bullshit. I think he suffers from post-discovery stress disorder and is attempting to empower himself by beating up on me. I ignore it, and as always, his threats melt away.

But, this time, I was thinking about dressing him down in a polite manner. To wit, (1) as you agreed to my request, there was no need for you to escalate the tone of the conversion; (2) if you want to accuse me of professional misconduct for requesting an extension due to the birth of my son, please go ahead; and (3) if you're trying to intimidate me or provoke a confrontation, it's not going to work.

Mind you, this is a guy who has never set foot in a courtroom. I, on the other hand, have had cases before judges all across the country, including the famed Sam Sparks - although I didn't get a chance to speak at the hearing because Sparks ruled on the papers and then sua sponte imposed sanctions on my opponent for being an asshat (he even stormed off the bench). If this dude ever set foot in a courtroom with me, I would utterly demolish him and then celebrate by drinking his tears of frustration, anguish, and impotence.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Who cares, now you sound like his little brother. Just ignore him.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I left for work late this morning because I hung around to watch my three-month-old son flip himself over for the very first time. I may have lost ~45 minutes of billable time but it was probably worth it. Adorable little guy, we have a nightly ritual where I rock him to sleep with one arm while I work remotely on my home computer. It takes longer to type things with one hand, but hey that just means more billables right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It wasn't worth the missed time unless you are billing insurance rates