Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tinkaaberu
Oct 30, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Really cool world building, but it didn't really leave an impact on me. The ending was really, really open-ended. Like ridiculously.

Me too, it was neat and all but the resolution just seemed like a workmanlike way to undo the ending of Ultimate X and Fury's black-op X-Men and put the Hulk somewhere to explain why they're not using him as a human WMD in Ultimates. Oh, and that Hawkeye is Fury's bro 4 eva. Not really enough of an ending there to be interesting enough in a miniseries on it's own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

"Celestial" is old-tymey slang for "Asian immigrant." Like, 1800s old-tymey.

If you're honestly offended by the tenuous connection of another meaning of this word to Ultimate Xorn, I think you're trying to be offended.

I wasn't being serious, it was just a joke. Like I said, I've been rewatching Deadwood lately so that hundred year old slang was in my head and it just made me chuckle. I'm sure it wasn't intended at all, and nobody has used that word in that context for a century anyway.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ultimates 4 brings an unexpected "conclusion" to things. I doubt it'll be for long, no way they're going to sit around now that they know who runs the City.

That said, I love Ultimate Thor so much. "guess we're not leaving" :drat:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ultimates 4 brings an unexpected "conclusion" to things. I doubt it'll be for long, no way they're going to sit around now that they know who runs the City.

I doubt it'll be for long if only because Reed's goal was to change the world. "Solve Everything" doesn't stop at just the City. He might be stopping briefly, but I doubt Richards is going to be content where he is. In fact, seeing as the City has some sort of weird time dilation thing going on, he could decide to go back on his word in mere minutes, because it'll seem like years to him.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You thought that was an unexpected reveal? I mean, the ending wasn't broadcast on a, say, Ultimate Doom scale, but it was fairly obvious, I think.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Myrddin Emrys posted:

You thought that was an unexpected reveal? I mean, the ending wasn't broadcast on a, say, Ultimate Doom scale, but it was fairly obvious, I think.

I meant the cease fire. I was honestly expecting poo poo to keep getting worse rather than "well we're happy with half of Europe, we'll stop for now". I was also hoping to see the other F4 react to the reveal. I read about ultimate doom and the whole Reed background/turn and I wasn't expecting him to really stop.

I'm guessing with the dome now open he doesn't have the time dilation going on meaning the city needs time for the new offspring to actually spawn and grow before it expands more.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 2, 2011

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I meant the cease fire. I was honestly expecting poo poo to keep getting worse rather than "well we're happy with half of Europe, we'll stop for now".

The cool thing is that this actually makes perfect sense for Reed. In his mind, he's so obviously right that he doesn't need to conquer the world; all he has to do is show them a better way, and the world will come to him.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Obvious is the wrong word - it was explicitly shown that the Maker was Reed Richards in Ultimate Fallout, before Ultimates #1 even shipped. Which makes it very strange that Hickman wrote his identity in Ultimates proper as a big reveal.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Black Lighter posted:

The cool thing is that this actually makes perfect sense for Reed. In his mind, he's so obviously right that he doesn't need to conquer the world; all he has to do is show them a better way, and the world will come to him.

I'm really digging this and hoping that he doesn't magically develop a space bug that corrupted him and caused him to try to make the world a better place.

Do you know how awesome it could be if he actually succeeds and ushers in a kind of scientific enlightenment? That there's some external threat that destroys the city rather than a conflict with humanity

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

bairfanx posted:

I'm really digging this and hoping that he doesn't magically develop a space bug that corrupted him and caused him to try to make the world a better place.

Do you know how awesome it could be if he actually succeeds and ushers in a kind of scientific enlightenment? That there's some external threat that destroys the city rather than a conflict with humanity

You're totally right. I mean, what's always been said about 616? Basically people like Stark and Reed have all this totally bitching technology that they use to do essentially nothing but play superhero and make money. Invincible Iron Man touched on this a little bit, where Tony made a new company to make cars or something with awesome batteries.

But really, people like Reed and Stark could be solving problems on a MASSIVE scale, and choose not to. Hickman actually touched on this in FF, and Reed freaked out at scientists and said basically "we should be HELPING people, not bitching amongst ourselves".

Sounds like this Reed might ACTUALLY change things. That would be awesome. After all they don't want 616 to change too much, and Ultimate is all about doing the stories 616 can't.

edit: I also wouldn't mind a crossover with the Council of Reeds, either.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Reed Richards isn't going to change the world. He thinks he tried that enough in Ultimate Doom, and he's completely nuts besides. Now he's just going to replace it all with his homegrown ideal civilization.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

wiegieman posted:

Reed Richards isn't going to change the world. He thinks he tried that enough in Ultimate Doom, and he's completely nuts besides. Now he's just going to replace it all with his homegrown ideal civilization.

Reed is probably one of my favorite Marvel characters, Ultimate and 616, let me dream that they'd tell a less traditional story with him :smith:

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Reed becomes an easier character to write/read once you simply accept that he is in fact a genius and possibly the smartest man on earth without some sort of need for evidence. It's part of what defines his character.

I'm still not a fan of how this progression was treated in Bendis' Ultimate Doomsday but I like the idea of a Reed who is just sick to death of bureaucrats, scientists and other alpha know-it-alls telling him what he can and can't do. I love it even more that rather than try to improve the world for humans he just decided to remake his own.

I'm sure in the end he'll end up defeated because hey this is comics and The Ultimates isn't going to end soon but I do hope that in the process he still proves himself right so he can slink away his newly smug rear end in a top hat self.

Also I don't think the reveal was written to be a huge get for the audience. More so for the reactions from Fury and the Ultimates. This is probably the first time (or at least since Ultimate Galactus) that these guys have taken Reed seriously. What he's doing now is far more serious and threatening than the cartoonishly evil escapades of Reed in Doomsday.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

:doom: Why don't you just put the whole world in a bottle, Reed?

:science: Hmm, good idea!

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Kaleidoscope posted:

This is probably the first time (or at least since Ultimate Galactus) that these guys have taken Reed seriously.

It's like they forgot that he built a gun that used universes as bullets.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 5, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

I really don't think this is a majorly defining aspect of Spidey; in fact I don't even think it's ever come up in the Ultimate universe.

Peter's a genius, but he's not developing industrial technology at 15. If he did, he wouldn't NEED to be Spiderman, he'd just sell that after spending maybe 2 years perfecting the formula for all the various applications. And then, as a multi-millionaire, he could do FAR more good for all the people he wants to help.

I always welcomed that part of Parker's ingenuity. He's a smart guy--capable of sewing and making machinery and generally being awesome--that's hamstrung by his guilt complex. In all honesty, Spidey is an emotional wreck of a human being. He's tormented by his uncle's death to the point where, years later, he's still dealing with the ramifications. The web-shooters showcase the side of Peter we never see: the very smart young man who has a very bright future as a scientist and engineer. And getting bitten by a spider waylays that talent, making him an adrenaline junkie who fights menial crime to make up for a 'mistake' that was essentially bad luck. While we can write off the webshooters as something unrealistic, it shows the Parker that really has gone AWOL in the past few decades: the one who is a chemist at heart who lost that intellectual side as soon as he gained the ability to be superhuman. The one who has never gotten over his father figure's death and is now reliving it, over and over again, and underestimating himself to the point where he's still doing some good, but not as much good as he could have done if he grew up normally, went to college, and gave the world his real innate gifts instead of the ones gained from a radioactive spider.

That's why the organic webshooters never rang true with me. It excludes that part of Spidey, and masks the real tragedy that isn't angst-ridden teenage drama. The real story of Peter Parker isn't a great force built out of tragedy, but that his rich life was destroyed because he never got past the guilt he felt for his Uncle and now playacts a crimefighter. Yes, he does remarkably well as a crimefighter, but he could be doing so much more.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Ah, alright. Man, it almost seems like Hickman is deliberately making his Ultimate schtick "cleaning up after Jeph Loeb," between the Thor mini, taking over The Ultimates, and establishing the in-universe function of Loeb's mutant team.

More reason to love him, really.

TheJoker138 posted:

No they didn't. First off, Ultimates came before Cards stuff, so Card was the one ignoring continuity. And then they only mention the tumor once, and Millar decided he didn't like it, and retconned it out himself.

Is he still blue and made out of brain matter?

Seriously, it's just a ripoff from Alan Moore's 1963 with a different color scheme.

muscles like this? posted:

The problem with the Ultimate Iron Man mini was that it felt like Card was just putting the name on some unrelated story idea that he had.

I agree. Card was playing with the idea of Iron Man, but it wasn't really anywhere close to it. It was like he was playing with an Ender's Game style for Iron Man but something didn't even mesh. Not to mention I got some weird Ayn Rand vibes from the whole thing.

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm glad we never got Ultimate Iron Man 3, as I'm sure it would have been Iron Monger showing up, but instead of being evil he's just a gay dude, and then Tony would have had to murder him for trying to destroy the American way of life. I'm saying that Orson Scott Card is a terrible loving person.

It would have been a loving mess because Card really doesn't know how to write a good comic. He may have some talents with text, but he doesn't really have what it takes to tell a good visual story that combines the absurdism of comics with the artform as it presently exists. He's too dour and full of himself to really showcase the innate beauty of comic books.

TheJoker138 posted:

Nick Spencer is like Jeph Loeb's very own Tyler Durden. When his son died he splintered into two personalities, one of which was Spencer was was still writing good comics, completely unaware that he was actually Jeph Loeb, and the other that kept his name, and went bat poo poo crazy. Now the two are forming back into one.

Does this mean we're going to see Jeph Loeb running around in his underwear, throwing himself down stairs to purge his talent from his personality?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

No, he's not still blue brain matter. All of Card's stuff is now, in universe, an unlicensed Iron Man anime that Tony Stark hates.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That's why the organic webshooters never rang true with me. It excludes that part of Spidey, and masks the real tragedy that isn't angst-ridden teenage drama. The real story of Peter Parker isn't a great force built out of tragedy, but that his rich life was destroyed because he never got past the guilt he felt for his Uncle and now playacts a crimefighter. Yes, he does remarkably well as a crimefighter, but he could be doing so much more.

I don't know. I hate to bring up OMD as if it proves anything, but I think the idea that if Peter had never become Spider-man he'd never have learned to get over his frustration and self-doubt and ego, basically everything that drove him when he first was Spider-man and only cared about being famous and making money, rings true. He would probably have become successful and rich, but he'd also have been a major rear end in a top hat who does about as much "good" as the average seller of convenience and luxury items.

Who does more good, Spider-man or Steve Jobs?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Is anyone else thinking of The Children as the Ultimate Future Foundation? I think Hickman does. And it's kind of amazing that we're apparently getting a writer giving his own 616 arc the Ultimate treatment while said 616 arc is still going on without it coming off as obnoxious.

There's been allusion to the big upcoming thing in The Ultimates being "The Children vs. The People". Outside the "To Be Continued in The Ultimates" at the end of Ultimate Hawkeye I can't say that's the direction I was really thinking of. Man, Ultimate Hawkeye really should've had an extra issue to let its plot/set-up breathe, the first three issues were great but the last one felt rushed.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Look at the outfits that the Children have in Ultimate Fallout -- they are pretty much Future Foundation costumes.

Edit: Found it:

Sigma fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 6, 2011

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

I think he was asked about that and Hickman said he considers them to be closer to the Ultimate Children of the Atom.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Kaleidoscope posted:

I think he was asked about that and Hickman said he considers them to be closer to the Ultimate Children of the Atom.

They are not Ultimate Children of the Atom, they're an Ultimatized version of the Children of the Vault.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

They are not Ultimate Children of the Atom, they're an Ultimatized version of the Children of the Vault.

Ah, that's right. 'Children of the Atom' is the subtitle to the old X-Men arcade game.

bairfanx posted:

It's like they forgot that he built a gun that used universes as bullets.

Yeah and it was never mentioned again despite that Reed's greatest fear was that Fury would want to use it as a military threat.

Kaleidoscope fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 6, 2011

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kaleidoscope posted:

Yeah and it was never mentioned again despite that Reed's greatest fear was that Fury would want to use it as a military threat.

Well, Reed was too busy moving on to his next mass murder weapon, from the thing that destroyed the JMS's Supreme Power universe, to the cosmic cube. For all my bitching about Bendis's Ultimate Doom arc, it really does feel right that Reed is the big bad in the Ultimate books.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kaleidoscope posted:

Which is a bit odd considering Reed then went on to broadcast the design for it to the entire bloody galaxy.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Shageletic posted:

from the thing that destroyed the JMS's Supreme Power universe,
Wasn't this just an exploratory probe? I try to forget that story, as I read it before I was smart enough to avoid Jeph Loeb AND Greg Land :smith:

Shageletic posted:

to the cosmic cube.

Again, don't think this was intended to be a weapon (though wasn't he possessed by Thanos for the entirety of building the cube anyway?)

It seems Reed is more the scientific cautionary tale. He does all this crazy research into awesome stuff only to have it turned into weapons. No wonder he hates the world. Imagine the paradise they could have if they stopped fighting each other for a few seconds.

I'm going to go build myself a hyper-evolving city now.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I wish they had kept Ben as the Thing instead of generic energy guy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bairfanx posted:

Wasn't this just an exploratory probe? I try to forget that story, as I read it before I was smart enough to avoid Jeph Loeb AND Greg Land :smith:

Again, don't think this was intended to be a weapon (though wasn't he possessed by Thanos for the entirety of building the cube anyway?)

It seems Reed is more the scientific cautionary tale. He does all this crazy research into awesome stuff only to have it turned into weapons. No wonder he hates the world. Imagine the paradise they could have if they stopped fighting each other for a few seconds.

I'm going to go build myself a hyper-evolving city now.

But they all are results of his arrogance, and lack of consideration for consequence. Totally classic (and interesting!) basis for being a super bad guy.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Shageletic posted:

But they all are results of his curiosity, and lack of consideration for consequence.

Fixed that. Maybe my love of science makes me biased, but I wouldn't really have lumped much of what Reed has done under arrogance, at least not until Doomsday. Really almost every portrayal I remember of Ultimate Reed has had him doubting himself in some form or another.

He really should've learned not to keep secrets at some point though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

E the Shaggy posted:

I wish they had kept Ben as the Thing instead of generic energy guy.

I'm not. I'm glad they went a different way with him. I just wish someone would either get a book going with him or insert him into one the ones we have going now. There's a lot that has yet to be explored about his new powers and I'm interested in seeing where he and Sue go as characters. Just throw them in the Ultimates if that's what it takes. I'm fine with that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure they'll be in Ultimates eventually. I mean, how are you gonna have a story with one evil FF member and not drag the other three in?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I'm sure they'll be in Ultimates eventually. I mean, how are you gonna have a story with one evil FF member and not drag the other three in?

Because Johnny's chillin' with the X-Men and the other two are boring as poo poo.

MethamphetaMan
Sep 12, 2003

He's got the need for speed.

Kaleidoscope posted:

Also I don't think the reveal was written to be a huge get for the audience. More so for the reactions from Fury and the Ultimates. This is probably the first time (or at least since Ultimate Galactus) that these guys have taken Reed seriously. What he's doing now is far more serious and threatening than the cartoonishly evil escapades of Reed in Doomsday.

It was written as an audience reveal though, by hiding his face until the last page for the big splash reveal. I think it makes sense though, because when people read this later in a collected format there's probably a good chance they won't have read Fallout and it will be a big twist.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MethamphetaMan posted:

It was written as an audience reveal though, by hiding his face until the last page for the big splash reveal. I think it makes sense though, because when people read this later in a collected format there's probably a good chance they won't have read Fallout and it will be a big twist.

Also, it acts as a strong reveal to both the characters, and to the audience, even if you already knew it was Reed. Reed towering over Thor is a very powerful moment.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I just reread the first arc of Ultimate Fantastic Four and I thought it was kind of neat that Johnny seems to perk up a bit when someone really early on accuses him of being a mutant.

How's that for consistent characterization?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

U.X-Men #4 was pretty good although the rather slow pace of the story is starting to annoy me a bit. And Kitty needs to loving stop it with "but Peter is DEAD" :qq:

And where WAS she, anyways? (genuine question)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Talking to myself here, but Ultimate Spidey #5 was great. I can't help but cheer for Miles to be awesome and he was. I imagine Fury's going to keep a real close eye on him to keep him on track.

And him trying to be Peter with (crappier) one liners is just adorable :allears:

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The Nick Fury/Miles father/son relationship was sort of inevitable after the stuff with Fury in Ultimate Fallout, but damnit, it is satisfying.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
You're not talkin' to yourself, HNB.

UXM needs to sort its poo poo out and start actually doing something. USM was wonderful today and I really, really like how cute it is. Bendis is doing really, really good work on it.

One thing I am missing, though, is the one new comic a week thing. That was great to have and kept things feeling constant whereas the current release shedule seems a little scattershot at the moment. Are comics getting delayed by a week or so fairly regularly or am I just being dumb? Basically: I wonder what the next mini will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sion posted:

You're not talkin' to yourself, HNB.

UXM needs to sort its poo poo out and start actually doing something.

Well it just did and it's awesome. Definitely liked it this week more than Ultimates #5 (which was ok)

• Locked thread