Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Revenge
May 22, 2004

I AM A GIANT FAGGOT THAT LIKES TO PRETEND I AM AN ADMIN. I LITERALLY SUCK COCK! GLUCK GLUCK I AM SUCKING COCK NOW BECAUSE I AM SUCH A FAGGOT!!!! IF I AM POSTING PLEASE TELL ME TO SUCK SO MUCH COCK I DIE BECAUSE I AM WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have some chicken pieces that have been soaking in buttermilk for friend chicken since 10 AM EST on Sunday. They have been in my fridge in one of those plastic zip lock sealed containers. Will this still be okay if I cook it tonight (56 hours later)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Yes, should be absolutely fine.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Soulex posted:

I have a potato soup recipe that I am proud of. It's nothing fancy, and or original, but it is cheap, easy, healthy, and a good cold weather food. I was curious on how I can submit it to the wiki, and if it is too generic a recipe to bother with it's own thread.

If you can't figure out the wiki, let me know and I'd be happy to help. :)

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I like to make this http://www.elliemay.com/soups/VegetarianPho.html vegetarian pho a lot. Recently I've been taken with the idea of making pho hot dogs and would like to turn the broth into a sauce with the consistency of ketchup. Do I just make the broth and then reduce it down like crazy? Should I use corn starch or some other thickener? Any other tips? I've been cooking for myself for a few years now but I still have hilarious disasters and I'd like to get this right :)

Thanks.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

How do you care for a mortar and pestle?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

standard owl posted:

How do you care for a mortar and pestle?

It's a chunk of rock. Really, all you have to do is wash it once in a while, and if you are doing particularly fragrant things like cumin that you don't want to spread to other things you're pulverizing, put a bit of baking soda and water in it, let it sit, and then rinse.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Cool, I was just worried that I might accidentally do something akin to soaping up cast iron or taking a metal scrubber to a nonstick pan :toot:

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

standard owl posted:

Cool, I was just worried that I might accidentally do something akin to soaping up cast iron or taking a metal scrubber to a nonstick pan :toot:

Just don't soak it in acidic stuff for long periods, but yea, it's easy as hell to take care of, and it's way better than any bladed spice grinder for the purpose.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Wachepti posted:

I like to make this http://www.elliemay.com/soups/VegetarianPho.html vegetarian pho a lot. Recently I've been taken with the idea of making pho hot dogs and would like to turn the broth into a sauce with the consistency of ketchup. Do I just make the broth and then reduce it down like crazy? Should I use corn starch or some other thickener? Any other tips? I've been cooking for myself for a few years now but I still have hilarious disasters and I'd like to get this right :)

Thanks.

http://www.modernistpantry.com/ultra-tex-8.html

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Semprini posted:

I have to make the soup for the family's christmas dinner, since it was popular last time. It's butternut squash and sweet potato, would it benefit from roasting either or both of them beforehand?
Whenever I'm making butternut squash soup I usually separate the neck from the bulbous body of the squash. The latter gets halved, drizzled with some oil, and roasted with some sage. The neck gets cubed and added to the soup raw. Both end up getting soft enough that you can hit the soup with a stick blender to make it all smooth.

I think this gives the soup some depth, but whether this is important depends on what other flavours are in the soup that might step on it, and how good the squash itself is.

Reformed Pessimist
Apr 18, 2007
I've always liked mead, the times that I've drank it. I thought it would be nice to try out some mead from different meaderies and really get to know the drink a bit better.

I live in the Finger Lakes Region of New York State so Earle Estates Meadery is pretty much the staple around here. They seem pretty good, but the problem is I don't have much of a baseline. The local liquor stores pretty much only stock that so it's pretty much all I've drank. Just one variety of their mead is all that's available and that is what I believe they call their Honey Mead Contemporary. I like this mead a lot it's very drinkable, but I want to know what else is out there. I want to see if this is really a good mead or not.

Tonight I also discovered that the Pennsylvania liquor store near me (I'm right on the border.) carries some abomination that I could have avoided if I'd read the bottle. Coming home from work tonight I figured I'd check out their selection to see if I could find a different brand to try. I asked the lady at the counter and she pointed me to the only "mead" they have in stock. I look it over briefly as I wanted to get home and noticed it was spelled Meade, instead of the normal spelling. It also said imported from Ireland on it which I didn't really care about one way or the other as I figured it was just a cheap marketing ploy to make it seem more authentic or some crap. I took it home, and drank one glass and it was vile. Then I actually read the label and realized this was not mead in fact it was some sort of weird infusion of white wine, honey and "herbs" who the hell knows what herbs or why they were chosen.

All this led me to wanting to know what the hell I should actually be looking for when I'm trying to buy this stuff and what brands are worth considering. I'm thinking I'm going to have to either make a road trip to Ithaca and check out some of their liquor stores or possibly see if I can order anything decent online.

I looked for a thread on mead and either I missed it or it doesn't exist. I didn't really know if the wine thread would be an appropriate place to ask either. So, I figured I'd just ask here and see if any of you could point me towards a thread or just make some recommendations. I'm not above spending a bit of money if it's going to be something enjoyable to drink. I would probably balk at anything over $30 though. The Earle Estates stuff runs $18 just as a comparison.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Mortley posted:

Can I have a suggestion for a venison chili recipe/style? I only have ground venison. I used to put tomato and beans in my chili, but I'd like to try one of the styles that doesn't include either this time. My overall method is to brown the venison in a cast iron then move it to the slow cooker, adding liquid, spices and chile, where it'll cook for many hours.

Any thoughts? Just a ratio or a technique hint would make me feel confident enough to start

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Mr. Wiggles posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND just made a whole bunch of cranberry orange marmalade which is a fantastic idea you should probably copy.

This sounds great, do you happen to have a recipe for this?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Mortley posted:

Any thoughts? Just a ratio or a technique hint would make me feel confident enough to start

So you want to make chili, but you don't want to use tomatoes or beans? I don't get it.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Does anyone have a tryed and true coconut macaroon recipe?

I found a whole bunch but I dont have the time to try them all out.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

oRenj9 posted:

This sounds great, do you happen to have a recipe for this?

I'll see if I can get it. In the meantime I think I'm going to have some more of it because yum yum yum I'm like Paddington Bear with this stuff.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mortley posted:

Can you adapt a chile con carne recipe? Mine is for a roast, though. What part of the ratio do you need? Just add chile spices, onions, maybe peppers and carrots. Some water or stock. Cook it down.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

What can I do with a beef knuckle? I would estimate that its around 5 lbs (although I'm horrible at estimating weights) and has very little meat on the bone? Is this something I could make beef stock with?

Also, I picked up a large, Fred Flinstone style beef bone for my dog. Should I boil/roast it ahead of time or is it ok to give to him raw?

Edit: A basic search shows that it is better for the bone to be raw so I guess that answers that question.

What It Dooski fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 7, 2011

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Make stock with that knuckle immediately. Then make beef bourguignon immediately thereafter.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

My 17-year-old sister said she wants a chef hat, checkered pants, shirt and apron for Christmas. She loves cooking and baking, so it's not some weird whim or costume. I mean it is, because as a hobby chef she could just wear sweats, but it's Christmas.

I think she's planning on attending the culinary arts program at her votech/community college/etc. next year.

I was just going to get the ChefWorks stuff from amazon, but reviews say that they fit fine but aren't comfortable. Is there an online place and/or company that's recommended? She doesn't need chef Prada, but I'd like to get her something good that won't fall apart or feel like burlap.

I'm looking for $80 or less abouts total, but since I have no idea, feel free to laugh at my arbitrary budget.

EDIT: The clothes are for class/competition, so I guess she does need them and I'm a jerk.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 7, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sooooooooooo...I picked up a jackfruit today on a whim and I realized I have no idea what to do with it. It is frozen, and I think it is a mature ripe one. Although, I'm not entirely sure how to tell. Anyway, wtf do I do with the thing?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Sooooooooooo...I picked up a jackfruit today on a whim and I realized I have no idea what to do with it. It is frozen, and I think it is a mature ripe one. Although, I'm not entirely sure how to tell. Anyway, wtf do I do with the thing?

eat it

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

eat it

hate you

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pretty awesome in Thai curries. Also BBQed believe it or not.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Curry with lots of mustard seed, chiles and coconut/coconut milk. And coriander. And red lentils.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'll see if I can get it. In the meantime I think I'm going to have some more of it because yum yum yum I'm like Paddington Bear with this stuff.

I would also like this recipe if it's water bath cannable (can-able? cannibal?). Please. Pretty pretty please.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
yes, Wikipedia sez that chili is "minimally, from chili peppers, garlic, onions, and cumin, along with chopped or ground beef" so I guess I'm doing a minimalist version.
taqueso, I think you're right. I need to search for chili con carne to find the right recipes, but mostly I just need to go for it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Anyone have an easy Kimchi recipe? I've never made it before so I'm not sure about the fermentation process.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Anyone have an easy Kimchi recipe? I've never made it before so I'm not sure about the fermentation process.

Here's a basic one: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-kimchi

There are various other kimchi on that same site.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Knives!

I'm kinda collecting Global Knives. I'm not very knowledgeable about knives, so I just kinda started somewhere.

http://www.global-knife.com/products/global_g.html

I've currently got a G-2, and a G-5 which I enjoy using a lot. I only recently learned how to fillet a fish, which was a lot easier than I thought. My dad taught me, they have a G-21 I think it was.

I sometimes have access to fresh fish for cheap/free, so I think I'd like a deboning knife as my next knife. I also want to learn to debone a chicken, cheap eats :)

So my question is, which one should I get? The G-21 seemed a little short, don't know if it gets harder to control if you get a longer knife.

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT ALEISTER CROWLEY AND AHURA MAZDA
I have been tasked this Yule to make Turducken. (Yes, I cringed too.) Incredibly, the internet has failed me on this one. I need potato side dish ideas, please! All I'm finding is "standard thanksgiving dishes are fine", but I cannot agree to serving mashed potatoes next to a turkey stuffed with cornbread, stuffed with duck, stuffed with ... you get the idea. An SA search turned up exactly what I expected, goons making fun of turducken, and I felt all was right with the world once again. Which still leaves me clueless as to what actually to serve with this fowl beast.

The side menu so far is tossed salad, cranberry sauce, roasted winter squash, sauteed broccoli and brussels sprouts, and an as yet undecided biscuit/bread type thing. The fiance insists on a potato dish, last year we did gnocchi and he wishes not to repeat.

Would a gratin be as heavy next to the meat stuffed meat as I think it would be?
Would a pommes anna be acceptable? Or would it be too simple or for that matter too pretentious? When making a turducken should one even care that a side dish may upstage it?

Thank you!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Latkes maybe, with sour cream and chunky applesauce? I may be biased, I love them with everything.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Grilled chicken hearts with a lemon-parsley dressing, good idea or not? Mostly wondering if you can grill chicken hearts without problem, or if they need a longer preparation time.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Does anyone have a good enchilada recipe? It's my girfriend's favourite dish, and I'm looking to make up for the fact I accidentally took the car keys to work with me this morning (so she was late for work, and is now grumpy).

I've only ever cooked them the same way my mum did (make chilli, wrap in tortillas, cover in salsa and cheese, bake). It's a step up from El Paso, but I figure it's a long way from authentic.

slavedaeva posted:

I have been tasked this Yule to make Turducken. (Yes, I cringed too.) Incredibly, the internet has failed me on this one. I need potato side dish ideas, please! All I'm finding is "standard thanksgiving dishes are fine", but I cannot agree to serving mashed potatoes next to a turkey stuffed with cornbread, stuffed with duck, stuffed with ... you get the idea. An SA search turned up exactly what I expected, goons making fun of turducken, and I felt all was right with the world once again. Which still leaves me clueless as to what actually to serve with this fowl beast.

The side menu so far is tossed salad, cranberry sauce, roasted winter squash, sauteed broccoli and brussels sprouts, and an as yet undecided biscuit/bread type thing. The fiance insists on a potato dish, last year we did gnocchi and he wishes not to repeat.

Would a gratin be as heavy next to the meat stuffed meat as I think it would be?
Would a pommes anna be acceptable? Or would it be too simple or for that matter too pretentious? When making a turducken should one even care that a side dish may upstage it?

Thank you!

I'd just do goose-fat (or lard, if you prefer) roast potatoes. Boil until they threaten to fall apart, shake the colander like crazy so that the edges break up and become fluffy, and then roast, basting now-and-again until done (45 mins, maybe an hour?). The fluffy edges make the roasties much more delicious when roasting, as they become super crispy.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
A quick grilling should be fine. Anticuchos are made with beef heart, but they grill up pretty fast. Chicken hearts should be pretty similar to boneless thighs in texture, and they grill fine.

Death of Rats posted:

Does anyone have a good enchilada recipe? It's my girfriend's favourite dish, and I'm looking to make up for the fact I accidentally took the car keys to work with me this morning (so she was late for work, and is now grumpy).

I've only ever cooked them the same way my mum did (make chilli, wrap in tortillas, cover in salsa and cheese, bake). It's a step up from El Paso, but I figure it's a long way from authentic.
Do you have access to different kinds of dried chili peppers? Like ancho, New Mexico, and/or chipotle? A "real" enchilada sauce is basically tomatoes, soaked dried chili pepper puree, garlic, and some spices (cumin and oregano). Honestly the stuff from the can tastes decent, it's just got 10 times as much salt as anyone needs to eat.

This recipe for the sauce looks fantastic, but also calls for pumpkin seeds. You'd probably do okay without the pumpkin seeds but then adding some flour (or a roux) to thicken up the sauce. Once you've got enchilada sauce, traditionally you fry the tortilla in oil until it softens up, dunk it in the sauce, then put the saucy tortilla in a baking pan with whatever filling you want. Top with onions and cheese and bake until bubbly.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 8, 2011

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

kiteless posted:

I would also like this recipe if it's water bath cannable (can-able? cannibal?). Please. Pretty pretty please.

Ok, here you guys go:

8 Oranges
12 ounces fresh cranberries
4 cups sugar
Extra pectin depending on your confidence level.

Zest 4 of the oranges at least (or more if you like, this sort of depends on how sweet/sour/bitter the oranges you ended up with are).

Peel the oranges, reserving the peels from the non-zested ones.

Combine peeled oranges, zest, and cranberries in food processor until fine.

Put mixture in pot along with sugar and bring to a boil, then simmer for three hours or so. Taste, and if you like (that is, if it's not too bitter or what have you), add some reserved orange peel that you've sliced up real thin.

Do a gel test at this point, and if it sets up all right, ladle into sterilized jars and process for 15 minutes.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Wahad posted:

Grilled chicken hearts with a lemon-parsley dressing, good idea or not? Mostly wondering if you can grill chicken hearts without problem, or if they need a longer preparation time.

Definitely fine, in fact grilling is one of my favorite ways to prepare heart. I'd add some garlic to that dressing, but it should be fine with just lemon and parsley if that's your thing.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

slavedaeva posted:

Thank you!

Honestly, I'd recommend just making the best drat mashed potatoes you can.. something "normal" but really excellent as a backdrop to all the foodie MADNESS.

Or.. you can harvest some duck fat and render it and just roast some potato wedges/quarters. Make at least ONE item a no brainer, make it easy on yourself.

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT ALEISTER CROWLEY AND AHURA MAZDA
Chicken hearts are tougher than chicken livers. I've always marinated even if it just for 15 minutes or so in the dressing to help break the meat down a bit.

Enchiladas: I flavor based on who I'm cooking for - normal humans or my fiance who I swear killed his taste buds for spice, so no food is ever "hot" enough.

2oz fire roasted tomatoes, diced
~1c tomato sauce
cayenne, cumin, oregano, S&P

They don't have to be fire roasted tomatoes, I just really like the flavor. Any diced tomato will do, even just salsa is fine if you aren't picky. Bring the tomatoes up to heat on high, let them get nice and tender. Smoosh them up. Lower temp to medium and add in spices. Generally, a tsp of each will suffice, more or less depending on your taste. Add in the tomato sauce, kick up the heat to high and let it thicken up. That's your basic meat sauce base, I use this for enchiladas, tacos, taquitos, you name it. If you do like spice I suggest adding in a diced jalapeno, it's a nice subtle kick.

I tend to roast off meats with mass amounts of garlic and slices of onion, so I don't put either in the sauce. The meat is then shredded and added to the sauce. You can also just cook up some ground beef, just make sure to add the garlic and onion to something.

Treat this meat sauce concoction as you would your chili. You can also make double the sauce, use only half for the meat and half on top.

Turkeybone posted:

Or.. you can harvest some duck fat and render it and just roast some potato wedges/quarters. Make at least ONE item a no brainer, make it easy on yourself.

I thought everything else was pretty no brainer. :saddowns:

Mashed potatoes I'm nixing because I can't physically imagine eating meat stuffed meat with a side of soft starch no matter how nummy they are. Already planned to harvest the duck skin (if it's not crispy it's just being wasted), so using it for roasting sounds like an excellent idea. And the colander smashing to make extra crispy definitely needs to be tried. Thanks!

slavedaeva fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I rarely freeze stock, because I usually only make it for something specific. I keep cans on hand for other occasions.

Anyway, I cooked down a hambone last night for Ham And Corn Chowder, but didn't have time to make the soup. Now I have to leave for the weekend, and won't be back until Sunday night. Stock is strained, skimmed, and sealed in a tupperware in the fridge.

Question: should I bother freezing it? Or just leave it in the fridge until Sunday?

Finally, I know I've asked about food processors before, but this time I actually have someone that wants to buy me one. Any recomendations?

After a quick perusal online, I think I like this one:

Cuisinart DFP-14 14-Cup Food Processor