Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

thrawn527 posted:

I don't think there was a Jedi, no...however:

Ku-Kak, the Force sensitive Jedi who owned a lightsaber.

Force-sensitive Wampa, you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Zoran posted:

Force-sensitive Wampa, you mean.

Oh, dammit. I got distracted. Fixed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Calliper posted:

Isn't there a wampa jedi?

Everything is Jedi. This is Star Wars 21st century edition.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Oh, haha, another fake li--it's real? :stare:

I mean, it's RPG stats, but wow.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Hey arioch, do you like anything about Star Wars?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Der Luftwaffle posted:

robot Leia's laser eyes and that dude with 3 eyes.

Calliper posted:

that drat horse head x-wing pilot, The Glove of Darth Vader, Han punching a human sized ferret.

GodDAMN I'm glad my EU exposure is limited.

TheCommodore07
Sep 24, 2007

Scallywags on the larboard side! Open Fire!

arioch posted:

Hey arioch, do you like anything about Star Wars?

I think the difference is, despite our moaning and complaining, you can still feel the love behind our posts.

To me, despite how crazy it gets, Star Wars will always be loved. When I was eight and my brother got to go to Disney World with my grandparents without me, my parents assuaged my tortured soul by letting me watch the Star Wars trilogy for the first time. So, to my 8-year-old mind, Star Wars was equal to Disney World.

No amount of robot Leia or Jedi Wampas or Starkillers will ever take away that original magic I saw when I was eight, even if I complain about them.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Has anyone in Star Wars just DIE of old age and not being burned, shot, stabbed, gored, beheaded, lasered, tasered, ion cannoned, torpedoed, suffocated, eviserated, degloved, raped to death?

Off the top of my head I know Yoda dies from just being old as poo poo and fades away. If I was a Star Wars author I'd end a character with "He went to bed. He didn't wake up the next day because he suffered a heart attack in his sleep. He was 97."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Has anyone in Star Wars just DIE of old age and not being burned, shot, stabbed, gored, beheaded, lasered, tasered, ion cannoned, torpedoed, suffocated, eviserated, degloved, raped to death?

Off the top of my head I know Yoda dies from just being old as poo poo and fades away. If I was a Star Wars author I'd end a character with "He went to bed. He didn't wake up the next day because he suffered a heart attack in his sleep. He was 97."

Ackbar and Mon Mothma, I believe. Also General Dodonna, I think. That's all I can think of.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You live in cinema discusso now, thread.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
It was about time our deep shame was banished away from GBS.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don't think CD will tolerate our bullshit. :(

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I feel like 3/4 of this thread is discussion about lovely EU, with discussion of the actual movies relegated to the other fourth. Hell, my avatar came from a lovely EU topic discussed in this thread. Do you know how many times I've glazed over posts with one or two 4-line paragraphs singing the Thrawn trilogy's praises? Or the NJO's mediocrity? Or links to wookieepedia like this?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well seeing how you don't even talk about the Star Wars movies in this thread I shouldn't think so.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why are you here, nerds?

Discuss your favorite Ingmar Bergman film or :frogout:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Vargo posted:

Why are you here, nerds?

Discuss your favorite Ingmar Bergman film or :frogout:

More appropriate to the thread is to discuss all of the Hidden Fortress parallels, in pedantic depth.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

TheCommodore07 posted:

I think the difference is, despite our moaning and complaining, you can still feel the love behind our posts.

To me, despite how crazy it gets, Star Wars will always be loved. When I was eight and my brother got to go to Disney World with my grandparents without me, my parents assuaged my tortured soul by letting me watch the Star Wars trilogy for the first time. So, to my 8-year-old mind, Star Wars was equal to Disney World.

No amount of robot Leia or Jedi Wampas or Starkillers will ever take away that original magic I saw when I was eight, even if I complain about them.

I love the old movies, but in the OT movies are Disney World comparison, what we have now is like, all the old rides have been touched up with Johnny Depp or filled in with concrete (I loving loved 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea).

Even that is more charitable than I feel like being, because I still like the new Disney World. Loved it, in fact, when I took my wife there on our honeymoon.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 7, 2011

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Was wondering why I could not find the thread in GBS.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Thread will probably die now that it's been moved, but eh, not as if there's any new material coming out until Lucas bites the dust and the franchise is sold.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Is the live action TV series ever going to happen?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

astr0man posted:

Is the live action TV series ever going to happen?

I doubt it, four years overdue at this point. That Half Life 2 mod called Black Mesa will be released before we see a live action Star Wars TV series.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

According to McCallum they're waiting for a few years until CGI gets better/cheaper because supposedly it's impossible to do a cinematic show at the moment (which I think is just a convenient BS excuse, but whatever). I imagine they probably don't want to do a darker TV show while still pouring all of their marketing into little kids with the Clone Wars show still on, too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A shame really, because you could pull off a live action Star Wars TV show without over the top bullshit fancy CGI special effects.

But that requires finding people to write and act decently. I'm really sick as a Star Wars fan since the mid nineties of being treated like a loving idiot by the franchise and I'm sure all you guys are too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

A shame really, because you could pull off a live action Star Wars TV show without over the top bullshit fancy CGI special effects.

But that requires finding people to write and act decently. I'm really sick as a Star Wars fan since the mid nineties of being treated like a loving idiot by the franchise and I'm sure all you guys are too.

Yeah, I think Farscape particularly showed that a (to me at least) very Star Warsy show could be made with a mix of practical and (relatively) cheap (by Lucasfilm standards, certainly) CGI effects.

Although for the writing, apparently the first 50 scripts are already done - Matthew Graham, the creator of Life on Mars, did some of them, which gives me a lot of hope for their quality. I remember at one point they claimed to have hired a couple Lost and BSG writers, also. Hopefully getting these big name writers means that Lucas intervention wouldn't be as big, although I'm sure that's a worthless hope.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

According to McCallum they're waiting for a few years until CGI gets better/cheaper because supposedly it's impossible to do a cinematic show at the moment (which I think is just a convenient BS excuse, but whatever). I imagine they probably don't want to do a darker TV show while still pouring all of their marketing into little kids with the Clone Wars show still on, too.

That's a really weird benchmark to set for starting the TV show. "We're going to wait until someone invents something that will make it look cooler. I'm sure that's right about the corner!"

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

thrawn527 posted:

That's a really weird benchmark to set for starting the TV show. "We're going to wait until someone invents something that will make it look cooler. I'm sure that's right about the corner!"

Isn't that the reason Lucas gave for waiting 15 years to start Phantom Menace?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Mister Roboto posted:

Isn't that the reason Lucas gave for waiting 15 years to start Phantom Menace?

That is a reason he gave. He was really just tired of all these Star Wars. Then kids and money and Skywalker Ranch failed dreams happened.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
That excuse is so full of bull poo poo its not even funny. Lucus spends more money sprinkling cocaine over his breakfast then a entire season of BSGs budget. Hell they could invent that technology them selves.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I really liked the looping at the beginning of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAlQuqzl8o&list=UUmKurapML4BF9Bjtj4RbvXw&feature=plcp

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
My college roommate apparently started reading Wookiepedia recently, as evidenced by the fact he sent me a text message that read: "BIGGS' COUSIN GAVIN hosed A BOTHAN!"

I'm pretty torn between really shattering his mind by telling him about Force Cthulhu, Force-sensitive Wampas (or any of the dozens of other things from the EU that are substantially worse) and letting him find all of that poo poo out on his own.

On that note, I vaguely remember reading in this thread a while back that Palpatine foresaw the Yuuzhan Vong invasion like 20 years in advance or something. Is that true? I hope that's not true.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Don't tell him that. Link him the Lets Read of Jedi Prince instead. Might as well ease the guy into the EUsanity.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Locutus of Bald posted:

On that note, I vaguely remember reading in this thread a while back that Palpatine foresaw the Yuuzhan Vong invasion like 20 years in advance or something. Is that true? I hope that's not true.

Not 'foreseeing' but he did know about it. Surprisingly this is largely the work of Zahn. The novel Rogue Planet from right after TPM came out had Obi-Wan and Anakin learn that Vergere was abducted by the Yuuzhan Vong, although they didn't know them by name. Zahn's Outbound Flight novel, set a few years later, establishes that Palpatine initially learns about them from the Jedi. Then when his agent Doriana goes into the Unknown Regions to destroy the Outbound Flight (and kill the Jedi onboard) he encounters Thrawn, who tells him that the Chiss have encountered the Yuuzhan Vong and gives him details on their capabilities. Palpatine then plays off Thrawn's worries over the Vong to convince him to destroy the OBF for them.

Zahn's latest novel (Choices of One) kind of implies in a section (as did Vision of the Future, retroactively) that Thrawn engineered his 'exile' from the Chiss and rise in the Empire to be put in a position where he could help lead the Imperial military against the Vong when/if they invaded, and (like Revan and the Sith) his attempt to conquer the galaxy in the original Thrawn trilogy was because he thought they needed the strength of the Empire to defeat the Vong and the Republic wouldn't be up to the task.

It's strange how willing Zahn was to tie his benchmark character into the Yuuzhan Vong considering how vocal he was in criticizing the NJO. As I recall he was offered the chance to write an NJO book and turned it down, which is part of the reason why he went through such a long stretch without doing any Star Wars work.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It's because Timothy Zahn is a total class act. Read his annotations in the Heir to the Empire anniversary edition for an idea.

Most Star Wars EU authors would have thrown a tantrum and poo poo all over something. Even some of the other better ones, like Michael Stackpole.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

arioch posted:

It's because Timothy Zahn is a total class act. Read his annotations in the Heir to the Empire anniversary edition for an idea.

Most Star Wars EU authors would have thrown a tantrum and poo poo all over something. Even some of the other better ones, like Michael Stackpole.

But he's not a black guy :confused: (watch The League)

Just going to reiterate that those annotations in the anniversary idea were cool as hell, and I hope it sold enough to warrant the anniversary releases of Dark Force Rising and The Last Command as well.

The Thrawn novella isn't half bad either.

e: just noticed that our virgoon asses were banished to CD :smith:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I read Death Troopers last night.

That was TERRIBLE

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Insane Totoro posted:

I read Death Troopers last night.

That was TERRIBLE

Halfway through I honestly thought I was reading a Halo book and that they had mixed up the covers somehow.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I was actually kind of excited for Death Troopers. Then I saw that Han and Chewie were in it. I havn't had any desire to go near it. I like those characters fine, but a zombie story with invincible (for plot purposes) chracters? Pfft.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The audiobook version is a bit better as they've thrown in some sound effects and spooky music, but yeah, it's not especially Star Wars-y.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Carnaticum posted:

I was actually kind of excited for Death Troopers.

That's probably because of the excitement and hype they generated around it. I mean, they really promoted it heavily: SWG tie-in content, I think the author toured the country, lots of crap on TFN etc. It's kind of worrying how pro-gimmick the SW arm of Del Rey appear to be at the moment. "Hey what if Jacen goes Sith?" "Hey what if we have Luke and his son go on a big tour of the old Bantam-era EU planets whilst battling Cthulhu?" "Hey what if we do Star Wars horror"?

The only saving grace is you still have competent authors like Zahn, John Jackson Miller, Stover, and Luceno who have their own stories and ideas and independence to tell them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's been going on in the latest book series? The last one I read was a year ago, where Saba takes over the council at the end. Has it ended yet and have they stopped chasing abeloth everywhere?