Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Ugh. My sister just got the Black Friday free after $50 rebate Nexus S. Is there anyway to get a third party store to return a phone sans restocking fee? Signal issues?

vvvvvvvvvvvv
Maybe you didn't notice the $50 Evo 3D BRC just posted about. The -$150 is a web special so no mail-in rebates. You can order it online for delivery or in-store pickup.
Fine print says that the mail rebates require 8 weeks processing and that the phone is active for 30 days.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So what's the current status on mail-in rebates for phones and trading lines? My sister-in-law and mother-in-law both have upgrades available and I'm half tempted to burn one to get my wife's line on an Evo 3D. EPRP so Best Buy is out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

jackpot posted:

I agree 100%, but what would be nice is if they'd start with the tests that have the least impact on the phone, then work their way up if those tests fail to find the problem. What happened here is like getting your car back and hearing "Well, we simultaneously replaced the transmission, the A/C, and reupholstered the back seats, but the problem turned out to be a flat tire, like you said."

Most people don't have Titanium Backup, and I'll bet most people definitely don't know you can move some apps/settings to the SD card. I just wish Sprint would recognize that, before going "Hurp durr guess I'll erase this person's phone, along with their mail and wifi settings, all their general preferences, as well as the apps they use but don't remember the names of until they need them." A little bit of caution would make things a lot better for people, that's all I'm saying.

Yeah, I know...shoulda coulda etc. I tell myself I don't do the kind of poo poo that risks bricking my phone so I don't need Ti backup, but this is twice now in the past few months where I've gotten my phone wiped for problems I didn't cause (bad charging port a few months ago). Now might be a good time to pick it up.

It's the only "repair" store within about 50 miles.

That's good to know, and thanks for the link to cheap batteries!

That blows on the location, I guess you need to move to a big city then!

I never wipe without permission, and take great great pains to tell people what happens with a wipe, etc. But the wireless industry does not always employ the smartest individuals....

IOwnCalculus posted:

So what's the current status on mail-in rebates for phones and trading lines? My sister-in-law and mother-in-law both have upgrades available and I'm half tempted to burn one to get my wife's line on an Evo 3D. EPRP so Best Buy is out.
Mail in rebates take 8 weeks to arrive, and if you swap upgrades the phone has to stay on the line for 30 days (officially, sometimes they overlook it).

Evo 3D has an instant rebate though, so i wouldn't worry about it :)

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 5, 2011

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

jackpot posted:

So I go into the sprint store and tell them "I got a bad battery." Guy takes it to the back and comes back a few minutes later: "Our tests say the battery's fine, but if you leave it with us for a few hours we'll figure out what's wrong." And then he nonchalantly adds "We might have to wipe the phone." I explain to him that I really, really don't want them to wipe the phone - that it's pretty clearly a battery issue (I keep the phone on charge 90% of my day, and the problem only happens when I take it off charge). He says "we'll try not to, but we want to rule everything out." Fine, that makes sense.

So I pick it up two hours later and they say "Our tests show it was a bad battery, we've ordered you a new one." And they'd wiped my phone. Thanks guys
lovely, man. When I took my phone in to be repaired not that long ago, I was specifically asked the following:

"Do you consent to having your phone wiped during our troubleshooting process?"

So then I had to say yes or no (I said yes). Then the printout receipt copy he handed me had a line at the bottom that said something like:

Customer authorizes PDA wipe _____
Which I assume he put an X on the line on his copy for the repair man.

So that's how it's supposed to work.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

jackpot posted:

Yeah, I know...shoulda coulda etc. I tell myself I don't do the kind of poo poo that risks bricking my phone so I don't need Ti backup, but this is twice now in the past few months where I've gotten my phone wiped for problems I didn't cause (bad charging port a few months ago). Now might be a good time to pick it up.

To be fair, Titanium Backup requires root, so it shouldn't be considered reasonable that you do it ahead of time.

That having been said... That is one area Android needs to address. A lack of a decent backup solution without voiding your warranty should be considered inexcusable.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

goku chewbacca posted:

Ugh. My sister just got the Black Friday free after $50 rebate Nexus S. Is there anyway to get a third party store to return a phone sans restocking fee? Signal issues?

You will have to speak to a manager at the store. This is also assuming you purchased it from that store

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Evo 3D has an instant rebate though, so i wouldn't worry about it :)

Turns out my sister in law, upon hearing the E3D is only $50, wants to use her upgrade on it. I set it up to reserve it for her in store on Saturday since it's the soonest she can pick it up, and she lives ~350 miles away so I don't want to have it shipped to me if I can avoid it. However, since the promo technically ends on the 7th, will there be any issue with honoring the $50 price?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Turns out my sister in law, upon hearing the E3D is only $50, wants to use her upgrade on it. I set it up to reserve it for her in store on Saturday since it's the soonest she can pick it up, and she lives ~350 miles away so I don't want to have it shipped to me if I can avoid it. However, since the promo technically ends on the 7th, will there be any issue with honoring the $50 price?

I wasn't in store yesterday, but from the emails I've read you either get it within the timeframe or you miss it. And honestly that tends to be sprints policy, stores won't match it after the fact because they would eat the difference.

Props for doing a reserve in store and supporting your local (hopefully good) store. I know stores in my area are pretty pissed at the suddenness, I actually heard about it on here before sprint told us. Not only that, but it hasn't been long since black Friday and we mostly sold out of the 3D company wide, so we have a great promo with no phones in store to sell (and we can't get a price match if we direct ship). drat irritating.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
Alright. I've asked this in this thread before, but that was pre-Galaxy Nexus announcement from Google. At that point, I was told to wait a few weeks until we knew what was coming. Now that we all know what it is and that it is completely unknown as to whether or not it will come to Sprint, I'm going to re-ask my question.

Given that I can now get it for $50, would it be worth upgrading to an EVO 3D from an Epic? Now that the Epic has received 2.3.5 officially (and following rooting and applying the GPS fix and a few other minor things) the Epic runs decently well.

So, it is worth it? I mean, I will be with this phone a lot longer now that the Premier yearly upgrade will be going away for me. On one hand, well.. $50 is pretty drat good for what is a proven good phone, but I will have to wait and hope for a ICS upgrade. On the other hand, if I wait, I will be getting something newer that may run ICS native, but will likely be paying as much as 5x more.

Also a big consideration for me - does the EVO 3D have an official OEM vehicle mount? if not, is there a good 3rd party mount that will charge the phone while its mounted? I use my phone for GPS a lot in my work vehicle, so this is a pretty big point for me.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

SneakyCracker posted:

Alright. I've asked this in this thread before, but that was pre-Galaxy Nexus announcement from Google. At that point, I was told to wait a few weeks until we knew what was coming. Now that we all know what it is and that it is completely unknown as to whether or not it will come to Sprint, I'm going to re-ask my question.

Given that I can now get it for $50, would it be worth upgrading to an EVO 3D from an Epic? Now that the Epic has received 2.3.5 officially (and following rooting and applying the GPS fix and a few other minor things) the Epic runs decently well.

So, it is worth it? I mean, I will be with this phone a lot longer now that the Premier yearly upgrade will be going away for me. On one hand, well.. $50 is pretty drat good for what is a proven good phone, but I will have to wait and hope for a ICS upgrade. On the other hand, if I wait, I will be getting something newer that may run ICS native, but will likely be paying as much as 5x more.

Also a big consideration for me - does the EVO 3D have an official OEM vehicle mount? if not, is there a good 3rd party mount that will charge the phone while its mounted? I use my phone for GPS a lot in my work vehicle, so this is a pretty big point for me.
Does it bug you when you get lag when playing around with Google Maps or browsing the web? Does the 800x480 resolution seem a bit small/restrictive? Then upgrade. If you're happy with what you've got, then don't bother.

http://www.proclipusa.com/ has some very nice mounts. But they're pricey. Like $60 for an Epic 4G charging mount and another $30 for a dash mount specific to your vehicle's make and model. I really like mine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I wasn't in store yesterday, but from the emails I've read you either get it within the timeframe or you miss it. And honestly that tends to be sprints policy, stores won't match it after the fact because they would eat the difference.

Props for doing a reserve in store and supporting your local (hopefully good) store. I know stores in my area are pretty pissed at the suddenness, I actually heard about it on here before sprint told us. Not only that, but it hasn't been long since black Friday and we mostly sold out of the 3D company wide, so we have a great promo with no phones in store to sell (and we can't get a price match if we direct ship). drat irritating.

Well, with that in mind and her timing (plus the fact that I wanted to pay for it for her, and you can't just bill to account anymore)...combined with a braindead Sprint chat rep that couldn't say anything that wasn't "The store representative will be able to answer this", I just went ahead and cancelled it. Turns out you can indeed specify a different ship-to address, so the phone will go right to her rather than having to bounce through my hands first.

Hell of a deal, though. She'll be able to sell her Evo 4G for more than I paid for her 3D.

CUPCAKES
Jan 26, 2008
http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2125

Sprint's finally deploying the new Network Vision multi-mode towers. Here's hoping they start upgrading the old towers with a quickness. And maybe even push an update to the Evo 3D so we can take advantage of the 800mhz band.

Laplacean Demon
Jan 20, 2004

When using the reserve at store option for a new phone, should I receive a confirmation email? I tried using this for a new 3D about 45 minutes ago, and thought I'd get some sort of a confirmation by now.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Kynetx posted:

That having been said... That is one area Android needs to address. A lack of a decent backup solution without voiding your warranty should be considered inexcusable.
All they need to do is have a section in market.android.com where I can see all the apps I've installed on the phone (this is already in place), and have a "send to phone" option that puts a blank checkbox next to each app I want to install (instead of the current method, which is "install every app, one-by-loving-one"). I check off the apps I want back, hit "install," and they're installed. This doesn't deal with data you might have lost, but it's a start.

Oh, and I suppose it would help if they actually told people about the online app market. Of all the people I know on Android phones, I'm literally the only one who knows it exists. Which is a shame, because it's a hell of a lot easier to browse there than on the phone.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

adorkable posted:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2125

Sprint's finally deploying the new Network Vision multi-mode towers. Here's hoping they start upgrading the old towers with a quickness. And maybe even push an update to the Evo 3D so we can take advantage of the 800mhz band.

Actually, Sunday my 3D got a PRL update pushed to it. No idea what the update did though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Laplacean Demon posted:

When using the reserve at store option for a new phone, should I receive a confirmation email? I tried using this for a new 3D about 45 minutes ago, and thought I'd get some sort of a confirmation by now.

Maybe? The store gets a notification either way tomorrow.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
When the online site says until December 07, does that mean I have to order tonight or I also have tomorrow? I'm still on the $30 SERO plan with a Touch Pro2 that has a poo poo battery. I was going to stop in and see if the store near my job can do anything about the battery but if I can check out the 3D in store tomorrow I may upgrade.

Would I have to call the 800 number and upgrade to SERO premium before or after ordering the Evo 3D? When I try to add it to the shopping cart online it says I need to add a $10 premium data something or other. Is that part of the SERO premium thing or will that be an additional $10 bringing the total per month up to $60?

Sorry if it's been asked already but the topic is a bit overwhelming and the SERO and ERT thing keep confusing me. I don't want to mess up while upgrading. It seems like from reading it would just be $50 but I don't see any mention of an extra data plan so I'm a little unsure.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I haven't really used Sprint since May because my account was delinquent from not paying it, so they suspended my account. It was sent to collections and I was told to pay $800 for the remaining bill.

I randomly checked to see if my account was still on the site because I'm planning on paying that off asap and it says I owe $1100 now, with the last payments being from "Shared plan" from the two numbers on the plan, $170 and $50 respectively and then the typical service charges and tax.

The last payment I had made was back at the beginning of May, and service being disconnected not too far into the month. I did get a late payment in July, but not in June. Just curious what sort of leeway their finance services has.

I'm more baffled as to why the account hasn't been cleared and the debt collection service ISN'T calling me anymore.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Quid posted:

When the online site says until December 07, does that mean I have to order tonight or I also have tomorrow? I'm still on the $30 SERO plan with a Touch Pro2 that has a poo poo battery. I was going to stop in and see if the store near my job can do anything about the battery but if I can check out the 3D in store tomorrow I may upgrade.

Would I have to call the 800 number and upgrade to SERO premium before or after ordering the Evo 3D? When I try to add it to the shopping cart online it says I need to add a $10 premium data something or other. Is that part of the SERO premium thing or will that be an additional $10 bringing the total per month up to $60?

Sorry if it's been asked already but the topic is a bit overwhelming and the SERO and ERT thing keep confusing me. I don't want to mess up while upgrading. It seems like from reading it would just be $50 but I don't see any mention of an extra data plan so I'm a little unsure.
You do need the premium data, but sero-p is 40, so it still totals 50.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Lblitzer posted:

I haven't really used Sprint since May because my account was delinquent from not paying it, so they suspended my account. It was sent to collections and I was told to pay $800 for the remaining bill.

I randomly checked to see if my account was still on the site because I'm planning on paying that off asap and it says I owe $1100 now, with the last payments being from "Shared plan" from the two numbers on the plan, $170 and $50 respectively and then the typical service charges and tax.

The last payment I had made was back at the beginning of May, and service being disconnected not too far into the month. I did get a late payment in July, but not in June. Just curious what sort of leeway their finance services has.

I'm more baffled as to why the account hasn't been cleared and the debt collection service ISN'T calling me anymore.

Did you pay the $800

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Giblet posted:

Did you pay the $800

No, I had made one payment to the debt collector back in September for much less than what I owe.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lblitzer posted:

I'm not one to presume ones financial situations, but just FYI to anyone here, if you can't pay your bill sprint will put it on seasonal standby no questions asked for $8 a month. Sorry to hear about financial hardships, but it really drives me nuts when people just let bills run wild. $8 a line a month is way better than not paying the normal bill and getting it turned off anyway.

The evo 3D price promo is valid for tomorrow, last day to get it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm not one to presume ones financial situations, but just FYI to anyone here, if you can't pay your bill sprint will put it on seasonal standby no questions asked for $8 a month. Sorry to hear about financial hardships, but it really drives me nuts when people just let bills run wild. $8 a line a month is way better than not paying the normal bill and getting it turned off anyway.
I had actually asked them about this, but they were unable to do anything about it, IIRC it was because I was already late on my bill. I was mostly concerned with being able to port my number once I finally paid off the debt but I have since switched over to GoogleVoice anyways.

I just don't understand why my bill has since been raised with 1. Service being disconnected and still getting service fees charged, and 2. a debt collector contacting me regarding it for my initial delinquent amount.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Lblitzer posted:

No, I had made one payment to the debt collector back in September for much less than what I owe.

OK so that settles the collections dispute but does not make your sprint account paid in full. They just won't come after you for the remaining balance. To use sprint again you would have to pay off the remainder of what is still owed to them.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I think I've just now got things set back up on my new Evo 3D. Still need to look into rooting, which I know means setting things up all over again, but eh. So far I'm liking it. I can't stand the 3d effect on the camera, but it was drat near perfect on Green Hornet. Still need to mess with things a little more.

Edit: Holy poo poo! I have HBOOT 1.30 on this thing? That's really surprising! I know what I'm doing at with tomorrow...

brc64 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 7, 2011

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

gently caress it. I just pulled the trigger on the EVO 3D. The $50 pricetag was just too good to pass up. I know there will be new stuff coming in spring, but I also know those new devices will carry much higher pricetags along with them. In the end, I've got too much other poo poo to worry about financially right now to be able to buy a phone at $200 - $300, but $50 - I can swallow $50.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Quid posted:

You can probably order it without adjusting your plan, but you definitely won't be able to activate the phone until you call in and change to SERO Premium. You might as well call in and do the switch before ordering, to minimize the chance of anything going awry.

And your bill will end up being $40 SERO Premium 500 + $10 premium data.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Anyone had trouble with the default alarm for the HTC Evo3d. It does such a good job of letting you know exactly when it's going to go off (notifies you how many hours away so you know you didn't get the wrong date/AM/PM set). The volume was up all the way but I never woke up on time this morning....

Check the phone and the alarms are still set to run just like they should be, for the correct time, with the alarm volume cranked. I normally take responsibility if I gently caress up setting an alarm, but it appears these were set correctly (I set two).

Maybe I'm just starting to sleep harder than I realized.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

SneakyCracker posted:

gently caress it. I just pulled the trigger on the EVO 3D. The $50 pricetag was just too good to pass up. I know there will be new stuff coming in spring, but I also know those new devices will carry much higher pricetags along with them. In the end, I've got too much other poo poo to worry about financially right now to be able to buy a phone at $200 - $300, but $50 - I can swallow $50.

It's tempting me; I'm reminding myself that with the activation fee and tax, it's more like $100.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

The Ferret King posted:

Anyone had trouble with the default alarm for the HTC Evo3d. It does such a good job of letting you know exactly when it's going to go off (notifies you how many hours away so you know you didn't get the wrong date/AM/PM set). The volume was up all the way but I never woke up on time this morning....

My default alarms always messed up on my 3d. I got the Alarm Clock Xtreme app and it hasn't messed up once yet. I would suggest looking into it, I think I did get it during amazons free app of the day though

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

WoG posted:

It's tempting me; I'm reminding myself that with the activation fee and tax, it's more like $100.

This is true. Tax + activation is actually about $40 in this case, but both of those things are going to be present no matter what phone you buy, so I figure adding them on top of $50 is still better than adding them on top of $250, you know?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Thus seems like a stupid question but how can I make the Google Voice app behave like normal? When I launched it, it forced me to do the carrier integration thing. I don't want that. I just want my Voice number to be contained within that app.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

brc64 posted:

Thus seems like a stupid question but how can I make the Google Voice app behave like normal? When I launched it, it forced me to do the carrier integration thing. I don't want that. I just want my Voice number to be contained within that app.

Did you actually complete the integration? I did it once by accident and rolled it back through the website. I think you need to go to where you can add and remove phones and disassociate your phone from GV. Once you do that you can redo the activation from your phone and make sure you press Skip, or whatever it's called, to not do the full integration.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sprint is being sued

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Sprint is being sued

Not to turn this into a carrier iq debate at all, all I will say is man am I tired of hearing about this. I don't blame people for being up in arms, but it is driving me nuts personally.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

SneakyCracker posted:

This is true. Tax + activation is actually about $40 in this case, but both of those things are going to be present no matter what phone you buy, so I figure adding them on top of $50 is still better than adding them on top of $250, you know?

Oh, of course, the discount's the same, it's just fine print I'm keeping in mind to dissuade myself from justifying another unneeded expense this month.

(looks like I'll hit that 4th year of upgrade eligibility in a few months - even with the then-lower fees, my last two phones were cheaper secondhand (new) than they'd have been from sprint, and I won't be surprised if that's the case again)

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Sprint is being sued

If only there were a more appropriate thread for CIQ discussion that isn't specifically related to Sprint in any way.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Did you actually complete the integration? I did it once by accident and rolled it back through the website. I think you need to go to where you can add and remove phones and disassociate your phone from GV. Once you do that you can redo the activation from your phone and make sure you press Skip, or whatever it's called, to not do the full integration.

That did the trick. When I first logged into Google Voice on my new phone, it forced me to do the carrier integration. The only options it gave me were to convert my Voice number to my Sprint number or make my phone use my Voice number. There was no option to decline. :(

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't blame people for being up in arms, but it is driving me nuts personally.
Are you hearing crap about it from folks at work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

So Epic 4G Touch owners got an OTA update today:

quote:

S:D710.0.5S.EK02

- 4G Sprint Hotspot disconnects when in a phone call
- Radio loses signal and may require power cycle

http://community.sprint.com/baw/com...oftware-updates

Of course, it only installs on EG30 modems and I flashed EG31 from that link a while back. :doh:
I don't have LOS issues or any other problems so it's fine for now.