Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

eggsovereasy posted:

I developed my first roll of black and white film and have two big splotches on the film like:

Is this what it looks like when the photographer is a moron and accidentally pops open the back while film is in it (my hand was on the door so it didn't actually open up, but I guess light could have gotten in) or did I screw up the development?

The rest of the roll looks pretty good, waiting for it to dry before I scan it though.

Yeah that's the roll being loaded incorrectly, causing chemistry to not reach that part of it. In particular, that part has not been developed (no sign of image on it) and it has not been fixed (that colour is the raw emulsion.)

If you want to at least store the film and use the images that did come out, load it onto the developing reel again (no need to be in darkness this time, use it as an exercise to get it right!) and then fix it again, of course followed by wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

wanderlost posted:

May I ask your development time and concentration? I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Rodinal.

Rodinal was diluted 1:100. Since I was pushing it a stop I developed for 90 minutes, when not pushing I do it for an hour. I agitate for 60 seconds at the beginning with gentle rotations, then agitate 30 seconds every half hour.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Drew by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

SAD crosspost: Delta 3200.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

nielsm posted:

If you want to at least store the film and use the images that did come out, load it onto the developing reel again (no need to be in darkness this time, use it as an exercise to get it right!) and then fix it again, of course followed by wash.

I just burned through this roll so I could try developing (didn't want to screw it up on shots I actually care about), but what would happen if I stored it without doing the fixer again on the bad spots?

When I was spooling it I did go back and redo some parts when I was spooling because I felt it go on wrong, but obviously missed some, is this just something I'll get the feel for after a few times?

So after scanning there is a bunch of "stuff" on the pictures? Are they water stains (I did use a wetting agent), dust, or something else I messed up?

I found the camera (Nikon F3) at my mothers house and it was my father's. It's about 30 years old and it has been at least 15 years since it's been used so the lens could be pretty dusty, but doesn't look bad on a visual inspection, so I assume it's the negatives.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TheLastManStanding posted:

Nope, that's definitely a mistake in development. Light leaks, even large ones, have a very defined shape and would show up as a black area, but would look similar to the rest of the roll. Film sticking to itself causes blotchy discolored areas, which is what you have.
This. As nielsm said buy a garbage roll (or use this one) and practice practice practice.

eggsovereasy posted:

There's both dust and spots and it just got scratched. Did you use gloves when loading?

eggsovereasy posted:

I found the camera (Nikon F3) at my mothers house and it was my father's.
The best camera :black101:

Also not bad that it's an F3, and it'll work as long as they make batteries for it.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 5, 2011

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

There's both dust and spots and it just got scratched. Did you use gloves when loading?

I'm supposed to wear gloves? :negative:

Just latex gloves?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

eggsovereasy posted:

I'm supposed to wear gloves? :negative:

Just latex gloves?

Only if you touch the film a lot. If I wear gloves (usually while scanning if anything), I prefer a pair of cheap white cotton ones, latex gets gross.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also latex is calcium-coated or loving impossible to put. Both options will make your hands sweat like it's going out of style.

So I use the cotton stuff. Also good to handle prints so double use.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yay bought a Konica Hexar RF from a friend to shoot 35mm with. It's much heavier than I had expected!

Konica Hexar RF by alkanphel, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Not gonna lie, that looks pretty loving rad right there. I would get a 35mm f/1.2 for it. RFs can shoot slower than SLRs, 35mm gets you extra depth-of-field (and is a more useful focal length overall), and it looks like that thing has a nice big rangefinder base for accurate focusing.

e: Looked at the lens. 35mm f/1.4s are cool too :downs:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not gonna lie, that looks pretty loving rad right there. I would get a 35mm f/1.2 for it. RFs can shoot slower than SLRs, 35mm gets you extra depth-of-field (and is a more useful focal length overall), and it looks like that thing has a nice big rangefinder base for accurate focusing.

e: Looked at the lens. 35mm f/1.4s are cool too :downs:
I'm actually lusting for the CV 35/1.2 as well but it's kinda out of my budget atm, nearly double of what I paid for the 35/1.4. Maybe someday...

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

Hey, does anyone have any idea how long a roll of b&w is "okay" for if it's been exposed, and not developed? I've got a few rolls ok, its a lot of rolls that I have had for about a year, always been kept in a cool, out of sunlight place, just haven't had the chance to develop them yet.

Not looking to put it off much longer, but any recommendations for changing develop times? Or is a year not really much time to be worried about..? Generally I develop them right away but, alas, life happened instead.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Nilson posted:

Hey, does anyone have any idea how long a roll of b&w is "okay" for if it's been exposed, and not developed? I've got a few rolls ok, its a lot of rolls that I have had for about a year, always been kept in a cool, out of sunlight place, just haven't had the chance to develop them yet.

Not looking to put it off much longer, but any recommendations for changing develop times? Or is a year not really much time to be worried about..? Generally I develop them right away but, alas, life happened instead.

I developed a roll of expired and exposed film that I'd forgotten about in a coat pocket for two years, with estimated dev times in weird developer and it turned out pretty alright. Don't worry about it too much, maybe develop slightly longer than usual.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

alkanphel posted:

Yay bought a Konica Hexar RF from a friend to shoot 35mm with. It's much heavier than I had expected!

Konica Hexar RF by alkanphel, on Flickr

Seriously, goddamn this looks amazing. I am jealous. How much did you fork out for this one, if you don't mind me asking?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

This one is taking to the field for my next shoot...

My Flickr Page! :nws:

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 7, 2011

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Seriously, goddamn this looks amazing. I am jealous. How much did you fork out for this one, if you don't mind me asking?
About $700 USD.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

McMadCow posted:

This one is taking to the field for my next shoot...

Hot.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Nilson posted:

A long time, and you can stretch it out farther if you know it's going to be awhile and toss it in cold storage.

This year, I've developed a five-year-old roll I left sitting at room temp and an 10-year-old roll I had in the fridge for around five years. They both turned out fine. I just ran them for normal times because I didn't want to lose anything to a clip test.

T-Grain films may be a different situation; in my case it was boring old HP5 and FP4.

jodys
May 30, 2006

Nilson posted:

The latent image is stabilized by lower temperatures. Cool, out of the sun is what you want. I developed some rolls of TMY that were exposed about 15 years ago. Results weren't great--pretty grainy and thin, but they were useable, especially if you are going to scanning them. If you plan on shooting more rolls and letting them sit, I think it would be a good idea to seal them up in a plastic bag and stick them in the fridge.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I have almost 30 rolls of undeveloped medium format B&W film from the past 5 months, and it's killing me that Adorama got my friend's address wrong (chopped off the last two digits of the postal code) and the Japanese postal system sent our order of HC-110 back to America :negative:

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
So much for 1 hour photo.

A week to do 4 rolls of C-41 at my local. gently caress.

And I'm out of fixer. poo poo.

Also hi I'm Josh I shoot film sometimes and I develop in my laundry.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I found a roll of 120 that I forgot to develop which has been sitting in the garage through the past two sweltering humid summers and frigid winters. To top it off, I forgot what ISO I shot it at because being the genius I am I forgot to label the roll. Surely it was one of those "eh I'll just develop it tonight, I'll remember what I shot" rolls.

This should be fun.

My fixer is two years old as well, so I guess I'll just wait to develop this roll until I buy a new film camera and start shooting again, rather than buying and mixing a jug of fixer just for this one roll.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Stand develop in 1+100 Rodinal :whatup:

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Where can I find an explanation of stand developing?

My bottle of Rodinal is in the mail from Maco and I want to have a crack at doing what you just mentioned with my rolls of RR80s.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Schofferhofer posted:

Where can I find an explanation of stand developing?

My bottle of Rodinal is in the mail from Maco and I want to have a crack at doing what you just mentioned with my rolls of RR80s.

Mix a 1+100 solution of Rodinal. Put film in, agitate for a minute. Agitate at 30 minutes for a few seconds. Come back when the hour's over, continue the development process.

If you push it, do 90 minutes instead.

There's the explanation :)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

QPZIL posted:

Mix a 1+100 solution of Rodinal. Put film in, agitate for a minute. Agitate at 30 minutes for a few seconds. Come back when the hour's over, continue the development process.

And a variant of that is for rolls of 120 use 1+125, and I don't do the second agitation at 30mins, and get good results too. In other words, its pretty hard to stuff it up.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
As a side note, when you're finished with the initial minute's agitation, give it 4 or five hard taps to dislodge any bubbles on the surface of the film. If you don't you could end up with big ol clear undeveloped spots. This is more of a problem with 35mm than with 120 or large format, since the sprocket holes in 35 mm have a tendency to create/trap more air bubbles.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I just picked up my first real film camera from the gear buying thread. It's a Yashica Lynx 5000e.

Am I crazy to think I could just develop film at home and get a negative scanner? Anyone do this, and is it worth the trouble?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ease posted:

Am I crazy to think I could just develop film at home and get a negative scanner? Anyone do this, and is it worth the trouble?

Nope, I don't think you'll find anyone in this thread who bothers with developing and scanning their own film. It isn't 2000 anymore.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nope, I don't think you'll find anyone in this thread who bothers with developing and scanning their own film. It isn't 2000 anymore.

yeah get with the times, everyone went digital years ago :rolleyes:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ease posted:

I just picked up my first real film camera from the gear buying thread. It's a Yashica Lynx 5000e.

I've got bottles of chemicals in my bedroom closet that I use to develop B&W film in our guest bathroom. You can get a good developing set up for under $100.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

QPZIL posted:

So this works regardless of film speed etc?

Because if I could stand dev different speeds at once I'd be a happy man. Would save me a tonne on fixer. And I could do 3 rolls at a time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Schofferhofer posted:

So this works regardless of film speed etc?

Because if I could stand dev different speeds at once I'd be a happy man. Would save me a tonne on fixer. And I could do 3 rolls at a time.

Yes, you can do that. Stand development basically always develops at film speed, or pushes by one or two stops. It's also possible to use HC-110 or Ilfotec HC in place of Rodinal, still at the 1+100 dilution.

Re. save on fixer, surely you aren't dumping your fixer after each development? You know, as long as you keep it tightly bottled, mixed fixer can be stored for weeks or months and re-used until it becomes impractically slow from exhaustion.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Paul MaudDib posted:

Sorry, I should have phrased that differently. Is it something someone who has way to many other hobbies can do quickly in their bathroom?

Basically I want to just develop and scan what I shoot, and not have it take a bunch of equipment and time.

If all I need is some kind of chemical cannister and a negative scanner and a hour or two, I'd be pretty interested in doing this at home.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

ease posted:

Sorry, I should have phrased that differently. Is it something someone who has way to many other hobbies can do quickly in their bathroom?

Basically I want to just develop and scan what I shoot, and not have it take a bunch of equipment and time.

If all I need is some kind of chemical cannister and a negative scanner and a hour or two, I'd be pretty interested in doing this at home.

Yes, definitely. 3 or 4 chemicals, a tank, and a changing bag or a really dark room are all you need.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ease posted:

and a hour or two

Welllll... not really. For me it takes an hour or so to develop, but then 2-4 hours minimum to scan depending on what I'm scanning, what format, how much effort I'm putting into it, Lightroom stuff, Photoshop stuff, etc.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

ease posted:

Epson V600's are ~$160 on amazon right now (and I got linux vuescan for $40), cheap as hell (in photography dollars). It will scan 10 frames in about 20 minutes, which is perfect to set and forget and watch tv on netflix simultaneously.

Incidentally, I'm getting ready to develop medium format film for the first time.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 9, 2011

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I browse the forums here when scanning - it takes my scanner about 2-3 minutes per frame of 35mm at my current "what-the-hell" settings, and I prefer to edit an entire roll in Lightroom rather than one at a time coming off the scanner. It's certainly something that can be done in 1-2 hour blocks in between X-treme snowboarding or bullfighting or whatever your other hobbies are.

Today I developed a roll of Ilford Delta 3200, and it failed utterly. The roll is one of three I bought during a minor film-buying spree a few months ago, got around to shooting about a month ago, and it's been sitting in my 'fridge since I got it. The other rolls are still in their foil packages, which state the film expired in 2004. I had thought expiry for B&W film was basically a non-issue.

The developed roll is completely blank. Not even frame spacing, just a 5-foot strip of grainy medium gray, with about 2 inches of black at the leader. It was my first roll through my new-to-me Pentax ME Super I bought about 6 weeks ago; before I loaded it with film I confirmed the shutter was actually opening and closing (and changed when I set different shutter speeds), and the lens is in good shape. Even with light-meter weirdness, I would expect to see *something* on the film, so I'm betting it's not the camera. Either I screwed something up during developing (Ilford Ilfosol 3, new bottle, 1+14 at 24 C for 11 minutes, agitate 5 seconds out of every 30) or there was something wrong with the film. I later developed a roll of Kodak Tri-X 400 in 120 format with the same chemicals (mixed up new developer, but the same batch of fresh-today stop bath and fixer), it came out OK (well, you can clearly see where my photography skills need work, is what I mean by "OK").

I've got two more rolls of this stuff - should I just blow through one on meaningless test shots and try to repeat the effect? Or throw them away and use my other pile of expired B&W film? Is there some critical threshold of temperature (might have been as high as 27 C or so, during the stop) or something else that can just annihilate an entire roll during developing?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

The developed roll is completely blank. Not even frame spacing, just a 5-foot strip of grainy medium gray, with about 2 inches of black at the leader.
When you say it's gray, do you mean it's opaque gray? If so, it didn't get fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MrBlandAverage posted:

When you say it's gray, do you mean it's opaque gray? If so, it didn't get fixed.
It's translucent gray - light comes through it if I hold it in front of a bulb, but fuzzy. Is there a way for film to not get fixed even in the presence of fresh, known-good fixer?