Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychicsecession
Jan 15, 2011

Dopo posted:

Don't be afraid to mash the cue button, grab the platters, and slap the faders around a bit. You have the blending figured out but this style of music could use some quick cuts and spinbacks too. Moves that seem cheesy in most house and techno sets are totally appropriate in this context.

Cool, thanks. House is what I generally stick to, so I'm not really used to deviating too far from that style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
So...Today is my birthday, and my mom got me THIS, much to my surprise. Any idea where I should go for tutorials? I have messed around with these for a bit, but I'd like a better idea of what the hell I should be doing, you know?

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Hey London cool kids. Any neat parties from dec 4-7th-ish? Or just a bar to get wrecked in and listen to a decent tune that I probably wouldn't be able to find on my own?

Might stop by london for a while after my show in liverpool on the 3rd.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Also my boys in Estonia made another dope bass/juke radioshow mix, and featured my tune THAT SOUND.

They also included a tune from one of my favorite up and coming American production duos(?) Dabblr!

http://lejalnyte.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/lnrs054/

01. BadBadNotGood – Mass Appeal [BBNG 2011]
02. DJ Mouse – Groovy Robin ’12 [-]
03. MoonDoctoR – Ridin’ Music Footwork (Ride to it) [-]
04. Chi-C & Quality – Maldiciones [-]
05. Flosstradamus & Kid Sister – Luuk Out Gurl [Fool's Gold 2011]
06. DJ Tuco – Footwok [-]
07. Kingdom – Cut Me Out (Dabblr Juke Remix) [-]
08. Spinn – WaLay [-]
09. Phaze – Jukin Da Jazz [-]
10. Bambounou – Alpha (Slick Shoota Juke Edit) [-]
11. Chump Change – That Sound [-]
12. Waka Flocka – Round of Applause (Rampage & Nader Juke Edit) [-]
13. Cocky Balboa – BirdWalk GhettoTech [-]
14. Wheez-ie – Dreamz [-]
15. Flip Don – Keep Skankin [-]
16. The Romos – Trumpet Face [-]
17. Dee:See – Take It Back A Decade [Dank'N'Dirty 2011]
18. Zed Bias & Falty DL – Lucid Dreams [Tru Thoughts 2011]
19. Jesse Futerman – I Love You So [Jus Like 2010]
20. BadBadNotGood – The World Is Yours [BBNG 2011]

Here's my favorite Dabblr tune so far, MikeQ- "Ha Dub" (Dabblr Bootleg Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/dabblr/mikeq-ha-dub-dabblr-remix

EDIT: Also did anyone else buy that Blawan radiohaed remix? Good lord is it great.

Maguro fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 1, 2011

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
I'll have to check Dabblr out, they just followed me on the twitter. Good to find decent folks in the wasteland that is AZ.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
There is never a lot on sun - wed in london unfortunately

on sunday at the lock tavern in camden fake blood, riton* and some others are playing 2-11 pm free entry and on wednesday night at plastic people there this which promises "a mystic brew of house, disco, techno and Northern sulphuric soul" and i maintain that any night at plastic people is worth going to purely because of the sound sistema also its free before ten

*i saw him and mehdi aka carte blanche at bestival and then mehdi was dead a few days later loving crazy poo poo their set was ace too

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

qwako posted:

There is never a lot on sun - wed in london unfortunately

on sunday at the lock tavern in camden fake blood, riton* and some others are playing 2-11 pm free entry and on wednesday night at plastic people there this which promises "a mystic brew of house, disco, techno and Northern sulphuric soul" and i maintain that any night at plastic people is worth going to purely because of the sound sistema also its free before ten

*i saw him and mehdi aka carte blanche at bestival and then mehdi was dead a few days later loving crazy poo poo their set was ace too

Hasn't the sound system at Plastic People sucked since PP got closed down for 'renovations'? Didn't FWD move somewhere else this past month or so after complaints about the poor sound?

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
Mmmm i certainly wouldnt say it sucks and fwd is still there if he stays til thursday he can see distance, j:kenzo and vivek

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Mike_V posted:

Check out this new Champion track with DOK and Terror Danjah on the remix: http://soundcloud.com/princessnyah/crazy-princess-nyah-prod

The bass is nuts

Nice track, DOK & Terror Danja are always a solid team.

Finally got my bootleg Kromestar - Dying dubplate today, adorned with a well-worn Scruffy_Hoodlum sticker. Apparently they are also fine dubstep-makers? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJQgQwNriIs

If I was in London I would hit their 3rd Birthday tomorrow night. And I would have had this record sooner!

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer

qwako posted:

Mmmm i certainly wouldnt say it sucks and fwd is still there if he stays til thursday he can see distance, j:kenzo and vivek

Speaking of Distance, J:Kenzo, and Vivek, I've actually discovered the minimal side of dubstep in the past two months and I've heavily gotten into it. However, outside of Rinse.FM, Tempa, and Deep Medi labels, I don't really know where else to look to find other artists similar to the Deep Medi sound. Anyone got any recommendations for similar artists?

Also, I'd kill to actually find a loving minimalist dubstep show anywhere in my area. I'm not even sure if anyone in this scene even listens to it, let alone play it, and because I don't have CDJs or a DVS, it's unlikely that I'll be able to play out any time soon.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

qwako posted:

Well that's good to know. I'm sure I read the sound was just so weak since they re-opened and FWD went elsewhere for a week or two But since this is me we're talking about I probably was just imagining things again.

Styliferous posted:

Speaking of Distance, J:Kenzo, and Vivek, I've actually discovered the minimal side of dubstep in the past two months and I've heavily gotten into it. However, outside of Rinse.FM, Tempa, and Deep Medi labels, I don't really know where else to look to find other artists similar to the Deep Medi sound. Anyone got any recommendations for similar artists?

Also, I'd kill to actually find a loving minimalist dubstep show anywhere in my area. I'm not even sure if anyone in this scene even listens to it, let alone play it, and because I don't have CDJs or a DVS, it's unlikely that I'll be able to play out any time soon.

Well you'll need some actual turntables to play a lot of the tracks out. Many are strictly vinyl only, thank god.

You're really after what those who were around pre-2008 would call Dubstep. I definitely wouldn't call it minimal. I've always found it far from minimal. Uses the maximum amount of sonic space and not just some horrible tightly packed mid-range. 'Traditional' isn't right either as that's just what dickheads who think all people want Anti-War Dub clones. Maybe Roots, but even then. Anyway I'm just talking shite now, so...

You're on the right track though. As always check the artists on the labels you do know and trace their releases out from there. I'm just going to give you some labels the now as there are too many good artists out there, I'd forget half of them and wouldn't do them justice. Just run a Discogs search or check out Chemical Records, Redeye, Boomkat or any other record shop in the OP and search for these:

As always DMZ. I'd be shocked if you've not already checked this massive classic pillar of the sound. Though the second hand prices are crazy on the older ones. Which is good for me when I'm old and in dire need for a new heart.

And check Distance's label Chestplate. Mostly his own stuff but a couple of pieces from different artists.

Skream's Disfigured Dubz is an actual artists label unlike Chestplate (barring the first couple of release by the man himself), though one or two releases probably aren't quite what you're looking for so listen before you buy.

From the land below sealevel that is Holland, check out Rwina Records and Subway Records. Both putting out some heavy duty business.

And then there is Black Box Records, the young but heavyweight new kid on the block who've really shown up a lot of older labels, not only with the talent they put out, but also their release schedule. Home to the likes of DJ Madd and Kryptic Minds. Also has a sub-label called Box Clever, home to newer, lesser known artists.

And as always, check Tempa's Dubstep Allstars CD comp series, and Youngsta's Rinse mix CD(Volume 14 I think?). The usual.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Styliferous posted:

For the darker side of that sound, check out these blogs: http://trusikdubstep.tumblr.com/ (more of the established names, some interviews) and http://makeitgood.tumblr.com/ (more of the up & coming names, a lot of interviews, mixes). I don't check youtube.com too often for stuff, usually stick to record shops & soundcloud, but saw http://www.youtube.com/youngstadubs yesterday, and they do a good job of highlighting clips from Youngsta's Rinse FM show.

Also, when I write tunes at 140, I seem to go towards this sound.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Crunch Recordings seems to be nice if you're into that sound (I don't like make an effort to listen usually, but if Youngsta or Distance are on Rinse I'll listen). Anyways, Ben Verse just put out a couple tracks on there: http://boomkat.com/downloads/465505-ben-verse-manipulate

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Speaking of DMZ there's a new Coki promo out on there apparently, not heard it yet though.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

infinity2005 posted:

Speaking of DMZ there's a new Coki promo out on there apparently, not heard it yet though.

It's a double pack, standard Coki affair. Wild jump up as he does best. However my pick is Celestial Dub, which is probably one of the best tunes skankin' tunes I've heard in a long time.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
old already by uk-bass standards but i finally got around to listening to RINSE:17 Elijah & Skilliam, this is basically their victory lap for an outstanding year of Butterz. Great comp one of the most enjoyable rinse comp's as well (though they are nearly all decent)

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.
Pearson Sound Essential Mix: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017lb1y#segments

Tracklist looks lke a pretty good overview of the past couple of years of UK music

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

An0 posted:

Pearson Sound Essential Mix: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017lb1y#segments

Tracklist looks lke a pretty good overview of the past couple of years of UK music

I listened to it live last night. Was seriously phenomenal. I was hoping he wouldn't play too many tracks at 140, but when you start with ASBO 001 I can't complain. The new James Blake tracks are interesting. Some of the tracks I easily would have predicted hearing (Helix - Stacks Riddim for one), but he avoided a completely predictable set list (I would have easily guessed for more Joy O/Addison Groove/etc) so it was very solid indeed. I think that blend of the year may be Stalker Ha -> Grab Somebody VIP, either that or Babeh -> Cactus. Lots of good jams played throughout.

psychicsecession
Jan 15, 2011

a milk crime posted:

I listened to it live last night. Was seriously phenomenal. I was hoping he wouldn't play too many tracks at 140, but when you start with ASBO 001 I can't complain. The new James Blake tracks are interesting. Some of the tracks I easily would have predicted hearing (Helix - Stacks Riddim for one), but he avoided a completely predictable set list (I would have easily guessed for more Joy O/Addison Groove/etc) so it was very solid indeed. I think that blend of the year may be Stalker Ha -> Grab Somebody VIP, either that or Babeh -> Cactus. Lots of good jams played throughout.

surprised he played 2 Zomby tunes after he was getting into it with Ben UFO a little while ago?
PS and Mala are both playing in Montreal next month, I'm so drat excited

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Got into it with Ben UFO? Don't they co-run Hessle Audio?

psychicsecession
Jan 15, 2011

thepopstalinist posted:

Got into it with Ben UFO? Don't they co-run Hessle Audio?

er, I mean Zomby did

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

psychicsecession posted:

surprised he played 2 Zomby tunes after he was getting into it with Ben UFO a little while ago?
PS and Mala are both playing in Montreal next month, I'm so drat excited

Hate the player, not the game his music. He may be a erratic no-showing manic depressive oval office, but his tunes sure ain't half bad.

Speaking of ain't half bad. New Zed Bias double pack on Swamp 81. Usual fantastic funky techy bumpin' Housey styles going on there. It goes well with the Funkbias release that was out a few months ago on Swamp81.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Video from Hatcha's set at cable. Bunch of unreleased madness from Taiki & NUlight, first tune is some new Jakes huuuuuuuge biz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXH2QHim8TY

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Live recording from when I opened for Scottie B an Switch in DC. Kind of on the slower side of UK bass, but a lot of familiar names. I closed the party too, that was more of the rowdy stuff (Seiji, Canblaster, Redlight, etc.), but they didn't get that recorded.

Download: http://soundcloud.com/tittsteam/harry-ransom-opening-uhall-11

Track list:
01. Renaissance Man – “Nikolai Kopeloi” (Turbo)
02. Bok Bok & Tom Trago- “Vector” (Sound Pellegrino)
03. Ikonika – “World on Mute” (Adult Swim – [unclassified] LP)
04. Benjamin Damage & Doc Daneeka – “Creeper” (Fifty Weapons
05. Jam City – “Waterfalls” (Night Slugs)
06. Will Saul & Mike Monday – “Sequence 1″ (AUS Music)
07. The Analogue Cops & Blawan – “Good Stuff” (Restoration)
08. Mosca – “Jager” (3024)
09. Roska – “Do You Believe (MA1 Remix)” (Roska Kicks & Snares)
10. Koyote – “Night Train (Marble Players Remix)” (Mixpak Records)
11. Worthy – “Bomba (Eats Everything Remix)” (Southern Fried Records)
12. DJ Ayres & Nadastrom – “Liberation” (T&A Records)
13. Bok Bok & Tom Trago – “Pom Clash” (Sound Pellegrino)
14. Mosca – “Wray & Neph” (3024)
15. Eats Everything – “The Size” (dirtybird)
16. ???
17. HardHouse Banton – “Miss You” (Greenmoney Recordings)
18. DJ Zinc – “Because” (Bingo Bass)
19. Breach & T. Williams – “2 Bob Note” (PTN)
20. Martyn – “We Are You In The Future” (Brainfeeder)

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

SUBFRIES posted:

Live recording from when I opened for Scottie B an Switch in DC. Kind of on the slower side of UK bass, but a lot of familiar names. I closed the party too, that was more of the rowdy stuff (Seiji, Canblaster, Redlight, etc.), but they didn't get that recorded.

That's what I'm talmbout! Big up. Very nice. Read the blog post, too, that's definitely a good look - I know you're homies with Tittsworth, but that's good to hear he's cosigning you well enough on his blog.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Been gone too long UK Bass thread. Anyone else coming to WHP 14th December? I will be absolutely ballbagged.

Tactical Grace fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 6, 2011

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

SUBFRIES posted:

That was a very good chill mix perfect for the rain and cold tonight, good job.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

That was a very good chill mix perfect for the rain and cold tonight, good job.

Thanks! I wish I had the closing set recorded too, nice contrast because of how frantic & aggy it got, compared to opening where I was building things up.

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
Skream and Benga have reportedly been given a spot on Radio 1, starting April 2012 :lol:

Subtle
Apr 19, 2008
Interesting article here about Scuba's recent questionable tweets...I hadn't even considered the whole 'every bass music youtube has a topless girl in it' til now. I'd skip the comments section though unless you enjoy spiking your blood pressure.

http://thequietus.com/articles/07384-dance-music-misogyny

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
That article is a pile of shite. Scuba is a mug though. One of the only people i stopped following on twitter because they were so loving boring.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

mr box posted:

That article is a pile of shite. Scuba is a mug though. One of the only people i stopped following on twitter because they were so loving boring.

The best thing about that article is the usage of "bespoke sex balcony". If I ever become a homeowner I know what I'm going to install first, new bathroom suite be damned.

To be honest I watched his RBMA video recently and can't for the life of me remember him actually talking about anything useful. Oh except did the usual,"we were never really a Dubstep label. Not really at all, honestly", and also clamming up the moment they talked about major labels. All we got on that was Mount Kimbie's next album won't be on Hotflush, take that as whatever. One of these days independant label owners will get over this weird embarassment with actually selling records and take pride in the crunchy numbers and sales talk. Looks like I'll need to subscribe to Music Week one of these days.

I actually probably see just as many dodgy anime girls on videos now than barely clothed girls. It's not like it's a recent invention anyway. Apparently none of them have ever picked up any Ministry Of Sound/Telstar/Hed Kandi/Cream/Ibiza comp from the last 15 years. They've always had the standard good looking lass in a bikini on them. Nevermind the kind of things you used to get on a Trojan Tighten Up comp 40 years ago.

mr box
Mar 6, 2001

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I actually probably see just as many dodgy anime girls on videos now than barely clothed girls. It's not like it's a recent invention anyway. Apparently none of them have ever picked up any Ministry Of Sound/Telstar/Hed Kandi/Cream/Ibiza comp from the last 15 years. They've always had the standard good looking lass in a bikini on them. Nevermind the kind of things you used to get on a Trojan Tighten Up comp 40 years ago.

Exactly. The idea that someone putting sexxxy girls on their youtube videos in 2011 represents some kind of unspeakable affront to the mythic rave utopia of 1990 (yeah that's 20+ years ago) is just dumb. Probably doing a disservice to gender issues as much as it is the nuanced history of dance music.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
And I just read the full press release about Skream + Benga on Radio 1.

In: Skream & Benga, Toddla T, Charlie Sloth and Friction.

Out: Judge Jules, Gilles Peterson, Kissy Sell Out and Fabio & Grooverider.

Gilles Peterson out? For Charlie Sloth or Friction? Get tae gently caress.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Here's something fun, Baobinga playing dark garage and breakstep!

http://wearecrazylegs.com/2011/12/06/crazylegs-009-baobingas-breakstep-brukout/

I have maybe five of those tunes :|

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

Here's something fun, Baobinga playing dark garage and breakstep!

http://wearecrazylegs.com/2011/12/06/crazylegs-009-baobingas-breakstep-brukout/

I have maybe five of those tunes :|

Ah breakbeat garage, one love. I think the only think I'm lacking there is the Mos Def remix, Freez and Skream's Acid People(to my eternal shame I have very little Big Apple stuff, though in my defense they were always hard to find).

Nice to see Rain Dance there, nice little tune that never gets enough love. Much preferred the Oris Jay remix to The Journey though. Actually I think the remixes are on a bloody picture disc, the shame.

e: Of course stand out track is Said The Spider. But we all knew that already. Seriously folks if you like this mix, go out and buy Bingo Beats Vol 1, 2 and 3 on (surprise surprise) Bingo. Volume 3 is even mixed by Slimzee with a guest freestyle by a young Dizzee.

28 Gun Bad Boy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 7, 2011

mr box
Mar 6, 2001
who remembers charlie sloth on towerblock dreams about 8 years ago? someone needs to upload that to youtube now he's 'made it' because he came across as a right tosser. :lol:

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

mr box posted:

who remembers charlie sloth on towerblock dreams about 8 years ago? someone needs to upload that to youtube now he's 'made it' because he came across as a right tosser. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7FldOQ2DwQ

Man I remember this program coming on years ago. I can't remember him on it though. MC Killer, just what a wee ride. Honestly loving Southend, it's basically the English version of Killie but with a beach.

And just for you guys since I saw it wasn't up on Youtube, I actually found it relatively quickly on the mess that is my shelves and ripped it. Mark One - Rain Dance.

mr box
Mar 6, 2001

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7FldOQ2DwQ

Man I remember this program coming on years ago. I can't remember him on it though. MC Killer, just what a wee ride. Honestly loving Southend, it's basically the English version of Killie but with a beach.

And just for you guys since I saw it wasn't up on Youtube, I actually found it relatively quickly on the mess that is my shelves and ripped it. Mark One - Rain Dance.

Yea there was an episode with him and skinnyman on it. There's a preview of it here: http://rawtelevision.co.uk/productions/earlier-stuff/programme-39/

It's basically him larging himself up while he chases after people who got weed off him on tick :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Ah breakbeat garage, one love. I think the only think I'm lacking there is the Mos Def remix, Freez and Skream's Acid People(to my eternal shame I have very little Big Apple stuff, though in my defense they were always hard to find).

Nice to see Rain Dance there, nice little tune that never gets enough love. Much preferred the Oris Jay remix to The Journey though. Actually I think the remixes are on a bloody picture disc, the shame.

e: Of course stand out track is Said The Spider. But we all knew that already. Seriously folks if you like this mix, go out and buy Bingo Beats Vol 1, 2 and 3 on (surprise surprise) Bingo. Volume 3 is even mixed by Slimzee with a guest freestyle by a young Dizzee.

Wow, that "Said the Spider" track is drat good. Shame I hadn't heard it when it originally came out.

• Locked thread