Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Unless it sat in oil for a week I'd just take it out, go easy at first and slowly push harder, see if it wants to give, it's probably fine. Tyres are designed to roll through oil and diesel and all sorts of poo poo on the road without any ill effects.

I accidentally spattered spent 10w60 all over the rear when I changed my oil last time, I just wiped it off carefully with paper towels and went easy for the first mile and then cracked on at normal pace, I didn't notice any difference.

I don't know, YMMV; it's been weeks since then and the tyre feels no different, maybe I'm seconds from death? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bird-o-matic posted:

I wiped it with a rag reasonably quick, but it was hours before I could do a proper wash. It's a track bike, so I guess it'll have to be a new tire.

It's fine, if you wiped the majority off immediately. Just take it slow for a session to make sure any rubber that did pick up the oil has a chance to burn off.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Tyre advice needed!

My friend recently got a new Michelin M45 fitted to the front her Virago 250, but the shop didn't check to see if there is a matching rear in that model (there isn't). Now she needs a new rear, quite badly. I've found that Pirelli do the MT66 tyre, which is pretty similar. It seems to be very slightly harder compound than the M45 and it's a reasonably respected tyre for the small Viragos...

Thoughts, suggestions? The bike isn't taken over 35mph, I think I'm over thinking this...

Oh and it's a wonderfully weird 130/90 15 sizing :suicide:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
According to this they make a 130/90-15:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/tire-tyre-guide/Michelin-M45.htm

Bunch of other sites back that up too. So either your shop sucks, is lazy, or the supplier is out. The shop will tell you the 3rd regardless though :v:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 2, 2011

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Huh. It wasn't the shop said it, it was michelin's website :psyduck:

http://www.michelin.co.uk/motorcycles/michelin-m45#tab-tyres-sizes

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Huh. It wasn't the shop said it, it was michelin's website :psyduck:

http://www.michelin.co.uk/motorcycles/michelin-m45#tab-tyres-sizes

Weird, maybe a typo/bad entry in the DB or they actually don't make it anymore and people are still running through stock.

Can you get one ordered to the island?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm gonna call FWR in London tomorrow and see what they have. The local shops want to charge me more for one rear tyre than FWR charges me for a pair of the same...

Unfortunately their website sucks a dead donkeys dick, and they stock way more than they list but its a "we're too amazingly busy with so many ravingly loyal customers" to update it kind of a place, and you have to call them to get anywhere.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm gonna call FWR in London tomorrow and see what they have. The local shops want to charge me more for one rear tyre than FWR charges me for a pair of the same...

Unfortunately their website sucks a dead donkeys dick, and they stock way more than they list but its a "we're too amazingly busy with so many ravingly loyal customers" to update it kind of a place, and you have to call them to get anywhere.

Clearly the best solution is to convert it to supermoto with 17 inch rims and put Pilot Road 3s on there. :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Pasting from another thread

Saga posted:

I've previously used the Pirelli Angel ST on my Hornet. Very stable, yet neutral feel (i.e. no undue resistance to turn in) that reminded me a lot of the Metzeler Racetec I had on the front of my CBR-F2. Good for any type of rider who likes the Metzeler/Pirelli feel, but a lot more biased towards quick dry weather riding than some of its competitors. Like the Pirelli Dragons of old, I noticed they tend to change character noticeably and become less happy as the rear squares off, even when there's still tread left. Great if you live in a dry climate, or just want a bias towards quicker riding with a stable, "well damped" steering feel.

What do you mean by Pirelli / Metzeler feel? I thought Metzlers tended to have a more rounded shape and neutral turn-in while the Pirellis (at leas the Diablo variants) had a more V shape with more aggressive turn.

I happen to like what I guess is the Metzeler feel, although I'm certainly not buying Racetecs again.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga reply snipe:

Pirelli and Metzler both use a softer sidewall construction. If you skip down to the bit in the OP about sidewall/carcass construction there's some good info on that stuff there.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Pasting from another thread

What do you mean by Pirelli / Metzeler feel? I thought Metzlers tended to have a more rounded shape and neutral turn-in while the Pirellis (at leas the Diablo variants) had a more V shape with more aggressive turn.

I happen to like what I guess is the Metzeler feel, although I'm certainly not buying Racetecs again.

I guess I'm talking about many years worth of different kinds of rubber. The metzeler and pirelli sports and sports touring tyres have always felt broadly similar to me, back as far as the Mez 1 and the Dragon. Of course they were literally the same company during the 80s and are still in common ownership, which I've always assumed was related to the broadly similar feel. How much technology sharing there actually is, I can't claim to know.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

Try essential rubber too, will give you 10% off if you say you're from londonbikers.com :)

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Is this bad?

This is just to the right of the center of the tire just under an inch and a half long, maybe 1/8th of an inch deep at the deepest point (ran a piece of card stock through it) so maybe half as deep as my current treads.
Thumb included for a, in hindsight, a poor scale reference. (I've been told I have small hands)

DevCore fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 23, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You're fine if it's only half as deep as the treads around it, and you're not losing air. Keep an eye on it and your pressures for the sake of it.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Will do, thanks!

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
Does anyone have any experience with Continental Conti Motion ST tires? They're easily the least expensive tires I've seen so far in Canada and seem to be getting good reviews. This is my first tire swap after a couple years of riding (SV650S) so I don't want to lay down almost twice as much for the Pilot Road 2s if the Conti Motions are just as good.

Here's a link: http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/continental-conti-motion-sport-touring-radial-rear-tire.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Saga posted:

Never over 75MPH?

Not hugely confidence inspiring!

At least I know when I get a puncture and throw the tyre away, I'm not wasting my money. :)

I've been rolling on plugged tires for almost 10k mi on my vstar and I am still alive. Seattle to East Idadho and back, a big loop around California, etc. I wasn't about to toss a 500mile-old tire just because I picked up a pair of nails.

If they were more like 8k old and a little ragged, I might consider a replacement.

I ride it above 75 all the time too, it holds air, is balanced well, and provides zero grief.

Maybe I am a rolling time bomb, who knows?

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
So the tires on my Ninja 250 are stock so that means they are bald and past their exp date. Checking the list of recommended tires on ninja250.org I decided to go with Pirelli MT 75's based on the bio's given. This will be my first full summer with the bike so I am not excactly pushing it to the limit by any means. I am just looking for a good gripping tire for a good price (cheap-ish) Doing some googling I found http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/cart.php which was pretty inexpensive and free shipping. I'm going to call around to see what the bike shops around would charge for the tires and mounting, or just mounting tires I bought elsewhere. Am I heading the right direction? Is there any feed back as far as tire choice or the MT 75's a good bang for the buck?

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 22, 2012

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
IIRC those are pretty soft, but cheap as hell, so you won't be losing much in the long run. Just order them online as cheap as you can find, and then take your bike (or wheels) into a shop to get them mounted and balanced.

Call around as well. With the wheels off the bike, I can get them mounted and balanced for like $15 a tire, but I've heard up to $30 per wheel at Cycle Gear.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

AncientTV posted:

IIRC those are pretty soft, but cheap as hell, so you won't be losing much in the long run. Just order them online as cheap as you can find, and then take your bike (or wheels) into a shop to get them mounted and balanced.

Call around as well. With the wheels off the bike, I can get them mounted and balanced for like $15 a tire, but I've heard up to $30 per wheel at Cycle Gear.

Awesome thank you! I'll call the places around here (Kent Kawasaki, RMC, etc)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Dial M for MURDER posted:

(Kent Kawasaki, RMC, etc)

I intend to give Ducati Bellevue a try for my next pair http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/713/98052/PreferredInstaller/Ducati-Bellevue.aspx - looks like they have a good price for wheel removal and install.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Dial M for MURDER posted:

Awesome thank you! I'll call the places around here (Kent Kawasaki, RMC, etc)

Be wary, some shops I've been to have tried to convince me to buy new valve stems at $5 a pop, but you don't need to replace them unless your current ones are leaking air.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I can't find a shop in town or within ~30 miles that will change a tire for less than $40 each, off the bike :( Now that myself and both my roommates own bikes, I might have to make tire changing equipment my next investment.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Well after dicking around learning a bit about motorcycle tires I feel the need to both shame myself and ask a question.

Bike in question is 2008 Aprilia Tuono 1000R with 4k miles, last season I low sided it during the first day of freezing weather, cold tires, going too fast into a turn, etc etc (dumb riding). Just been slowly commuting on it once I rebuilt it, kinda got some PTSD after the crash, but the bike has never felt great turning and I know I think I know why. It was rocking Dunlop Sportmax D208F-RR's (race replica, can someone clue me in on what this means?). Doing a bit of research on these, they aren't really made for Seattle city riding and seem to have a tendency to give with little warning, well that makes me feel a bit better. Prolly doesn't help that were 5 years old. I assume they were the original rubber that came on the bike.

Looking for replacement rubber, I ride primarily as transportation and weekend fun. Being Seattle, I had my eye on Michelin Pilot Road 3's as they are siped and seem to be well regarded here. I also had Pilot Road 2's before and I LOOOOVED them, I assume they will be about the same, but maybe better wet traction?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I hear that they do indeed have better wet traction but they don't last as long as the PR2s. I imagine the siping on the 3s helps wear down the tread faster. My wife has PR2s on her R1150R and she rides it to Sodo pretty much daily; she has only good things to say about the PR2s. I think she has about 8k on them at this point and they are holding up well.

I plan to get the 2s for the Buell.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

Well after dicking around learning a bit about motorcycle tires I feel the need to both shame myself and ask a question.

Bike in question is 2008 Aprilia Tuono 1000R with 4k miles, last season I low sided it during the first day of freezing weather, cold tires, going too fast into a turn, etc etc (dumb riding). Just been slowly commuting on it once I rebuilt it, kinda got some PTSD after the crash, but the bike has never felt great turning and I know I think I know why. It was rocking Dunlop Sportmax D208F-RR's (race replica, can someone clue me in on what this means?). Doing a bit of research on these, they aren't really made for Seattle city riding and seem to have a tendency to give with little warning, well that makes me feel a bit better. Prolly doesn't help that were 5 years old. I assume they were the original rubber that came on the bike.

Looking for replacement rubber, I ride primarily as transportation and weekend fun. Being Seattle, I had my eye on Michelin Pilot Road 3's as they are siped and seem to be well regarded here. I also had Pilot Road 2's before and I LOOOOVED them, I assume they will be about the same, but maybe better wet traction?

Oh god, how does it have Dunlop 208Fs on there. They were the first tires I ever rode, thought they were great. Of course, I didn't know any better, so I thought it was totally normal that the tires didn't stick for poo poo until you got them really, really hot. Switching to Pilot Powers, which still aren't the quickest warming up tires, was an epiphany.

I'd run PR3s in a heartbeat. Apparently they are just like the PR3s but come up to temp and have better wet characteristics, so they should fit your riding perfectly.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh great, thanks guys. Goddamn moto tires are expensive, 306 seems the cheapest for the pair at Tire Express, that sound about right/a good place to shop? IIRC I saw them pop up earlier in the thread.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I really like my PR3's. I haven't ridden on anything else to gauge them, but so far I haven't crashed despite riding like a total dong, so they must be doing something right.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
hey McQueen, what size rear are you going with for your bike? I'm about to put a new rear on and was tossing up between 180/55 and 190/55. currently its a 190/50 which I think was the stock size, but the others are alternates okayed by aprilia.

anyone got any thoughts on that? Im thinking 180 mostly as my track instructor friend reckons his sv1000 doesn't need a wider tyre than that and he's considerably faster than me. internet seems to recommend 190 width for 6 inch wheel though.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I really like the Battlax series of tires. I had them on the R1 and I have them on the DRZ. Tons of grip and decent wear time.

Stupid question; How do I get rid of the last 1/2-1/4" of chicken strips on my front tire? Do I really have to push it over hard? My rear has no strips but the front still has an annoying little bit on it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I really like the Battlax series of tires. I had them on the R1 and I have them on the DRZ. Tons of grip and decent wear time.

Stupid question; How do I get rid of the last 1/2-1/4" of chicken strips on my front tire? Do I really have to push it over hard? My rear has no strips but the front still has an annoying little bit on it.

You could just not worry about it and they'll go away as you get better riding your new bike. I have chicken tenders, not even strips and don't give a poo poo :smug:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

You could just not worry about it and they'll go away as you get better riding your new bike. I have chicken tenders, not even strips and don't give a poo poo :smug:

I know it's stupid, it's not a big deal. It just annoys me a little, by the second day I had the bike I'd scrubbed the rear completely in. A week later and that bastard front tire is still taunting me... Twisty run this weekend I guess! :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GanjamonII posted:

hey McQueen, what size rear are you going with for your bike? I'm about to put a new rear on and was tossing up between 180/55 and 190/55. currently its a 190/50 which I think was the stock size, but the others are alternates okayed by aprilia.

anyone got any thoughts on that? Im thinking 180 mostly as my track instructor friend reckons his sv1000 doesn't need a wider tyre than that and he's considerably faster than me. internet seems to recommend 190 width for 6 inch wheel though.

Run the 180 if you want faster turn in, 190 if you want more stability midcorner.

I only erase the last chicken strip at the front under track use. You have to either trail brake hard to get the front to deform (risky on the street) or carry insane lean angle (also risky on the street).

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I know it's stupid, it's not a big deal. It just annoys me a little, by the second day I had the bike I'd scrubbed the rear completely in. A week later and that bastard front tire is still taunting me... Twisty run this weekend I guess! :D

That should do it haha.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

Run the 180 if you want faster turn in, 190 if you want more stability midcorner.

I only erase the last chicken strip at the front under track use. You have to either trail brake hard to get the front to deform (risky on the street) or carry insane lean angle (also risky on the street).

That's what I was wondering, I don't think I've ever scrubbed a front completely without being on a track.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

GanjamonII posted:

Was gonna stick with stock 190/50. Dunno...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

Was gonna stick with stock 190/50. Dunno...

Oh god that's the worst tire size. The flat profile makes turn in heavy but it doesn't have any more side grip to go with it, like the 190/55. The grip of a 180 with the slow steering of a 190.

Now admittedly, this is probably splitting hairs over tire performance, but I strongly encourage you to try the 190/55 or the 180/55 and avoid the stock 190/50, which is a tire profile that never should have been a thing.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
190/55's and 200/55's are fun as hell. Never ending side grip.

And yeah, if you are riding sensibly on the street you will never lose those front chickenstrips.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I went with the 180 .. if I don't like it will put a 190/55 on there when its worn out in 2000 miles..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

Oh god that's the worst tire size. The flat profile makes turn in heavy but it doesn't have any more side grip to go with it, like the 190/55. The grip of a 180 with the slow steering of a 190.

Now admittedly, this is probably splitting hairs over tire performance, but I strongly encourage you to try the 190/55 or the 180/55 and avoid the stock 190/50, which is a tire profile that never should have been a thing.

Not going to be doing any track riding, and if I did, I'd prolly pick up a cheaper bike/different tire but I'd assume a 180/55 would be the best tire for taxi/SUV/bicycle dodging? Thanks for the tip.

• Locked thread