Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
They really need to bring the Stories games to the PC/modern consoles. The PS2 versions of Liberty City and Vice City stories actually look worse than the PSP version! More fog, lower detail and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Install Gentoo posted:

They really need to bring the Stories games to the PC/modern consoles. The PS2 versions of Liberty City and Vice City stories actually look worse than the PSP version! More fog, lower detail and all that.

I think that's a big part of why I couldn't get into them. They looked less-advanced than GTA3 which came out several years before them.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
They probably just ported the engine directly over, didn't do anything with the PS2's better processor, and added fog/lowered detail to compensate for any chugging.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ElwoodCuse posted:

To go with GTA 3 mobile, Lips 106 and Head Radio have 7-song collections on itunes for $3

Oh my loving god.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
This might just be me, but Im replaying Lost and Damned and Billy Grey still has one of the best voice actors ive heard on a video game and hes one of my favorite characters

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 9, 2011

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

the_american_dream posted:

This might just be me, but Im replaying Lost and Damned and Billy Grey still has one of the best voice actors ive seen on a video game and hes one of my favorite characters

Absolutely. Very refreshing change from all those poor tortured souls with conflicting motives. A bit like Tommy Vercetti, in the sense that his character just sat right in terms of personality. Mean ol' biker with no time for that Brothers/Colours Of Honour poo poo or whatever the others were hollering all the time.

I wouldn't mind an entire episode with Billy as the lead; kind of a prologue to TLAD with a slightly younger Billy. Even if they reuse LC. THough California would be better: sloppy drug deals, assaulting small towns, doing 'security' for rock concerts as a sideline (stabbing members of the audience of course), and so on.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Underflow posted:

Absolutely. Very refreshing change from all those poor tortured souls with conflicting motives. A bit like Tommy Vercetti, in the sense that his character just sat right in terms of personality. Mean ol' biker with no time for that Brothers/Colours Of Honour poo poo or whatever the others were hollering all the time.

I wouldn't mind an entire episode with Billy as the lead; kind of a prologue to TLAD with a slightly younger Billy. Even if they reuse LC. THough California would be better: sloppy drug deals, assaulting small towns, doing 'security' for rock concerts as a sideline (stabbing members of the audience of course), and so on.

Billy Grey did have a Mitch Baker vibe to him.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Corzaa posted:

Billy Grey did have a Mitch Baker vibe to him.

Ah yeah, I completely forgot about him. Haven't played VC in a while; resisting the urge until I get the trilogy pack for Xbox.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Underflow posted:

He was always more in favor of drug dealing, so I'm doubting that since most of the main characters haven't approved of drugs. I will say that Johnny made a far better show of that than CJ, he actively fought back when Billy wanted to deal drugs, but the guy in Vice City Stories complained and went along with it anyway.

Crack dealing or not, It'd be awesome to see an '80s Los Santos. Maybe DLC for GTA V?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Friar Zucchini posted:

He was always more in favor of drug dealing, so I'm doubting that since most of the main characters haven't approved of drugs. I will say that Johnny made a far better show of that than CJ, he actively fought back when Billy wanted to deal drugs, but the guy in Vice City Stories complained and went along with it anyway.

Crack dealing or not, It'd be awesome to see an '80s Los Santos. Maybe DLC for GTA V?

You could take missions from Mike Toreno to unleash crack and AIDS on the inner city.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Luis seems to also reach that sweet spot of killer that you dont mind seeing trying to do some good when he can in cutscenes

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You could take missions from Mike Toreno to unleash crack and AIDS on the inner city.

Mini-games: 1) survive 5m or more in gang territory wearing nothing but a sportsjacket with super-pumped shoulderpads and your sleeves rolled up, 2) deliver 50 Phil Collins albums to the ghettos of your choice, 3) try to look good at a Cure concert.

the_american_dream posted:

Luis seems to also reach that sweet spot of killer that you dont mind seeing trying to do some good when he can in cutscenes

Yeah, that's true; he came over as a lot more realistic than Niko or Johnny. I still kind of think that the Housers were so determined on getting (deserved) kudos for the game's design and feel that they forced in just enough moral ambiguity to avoid yet another flap over violence.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
In GTA4, do I have to complete Packie's robbing the bank mission to progress in the game? He seems to be the only person I can go visit and that mission is super hard. Easier with Dwayne's goons, but still super hard. I'm struggling to do it :(

Any tips?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

thehustler posted:

In GTA4, do I have to complete Packie's robbing the bank mission to progress in the game? He seems to be the only person I can go visit and that mission is super hard. Easier with Dwayne's goons, but still super hard. I'm struggling to do it :(

Any tips?

Yes.
Remember where dudes are and take them out ASAP, that is all you can do; after that when you have to shake the cops remember that you can drop your car into the subway system and just drive along that.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

thehustler posted:

Any tips?

Sure, it's a major storyline mission. The easiest way:

- date Kiki
- stock up on grenades and rockets
- hang back at the bank
- shotgun any cops that come rushing in
- destroy the cop cars and stragglers outside with rockets
- call Dwayne's team, join the boys in the alley
- use grenades, use cover, hang back to save your body armour
- let the others deal with snipers, only break cover when you have to
- after the tunnel, call Kiki to lower your wanted status
- walk out like nothing happened

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

By tunnel do you mean coming out of the subway? I made it to that part yesterday but had gently caress all health and died instantly as I walked out.

As I understand it, you can't use Kiki at any point before then? I tried but she was all lol no.

Edit: Also, where's the best place to get an RPG from?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

thehustler posted:

Edit: Also, where's the best place to get an RPG from?
Lil Jacob's gun van should have some.
mah breda

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

thehustler posted:

By tunnel do you mean coming out of the subway? I made it to that part yesterday but had gently caress all health and died instantly as I walked out.

As I understand it, you can't use Kiki at any point before then? I tried but she was all lol no.

Call Kiki when you're on the stairs between the tunnel and the subway exit. You'll have to have dated her up to the point where she's offered to use her influence with the DA/cops, of course.

Zedd posted:

Lil Jacob's gun van should have some.
mah breda

And there's always a free one on the rock just above Algonquin.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Underflow posted:

Call Kiki when you're on the stairs between the tunnel and the subway exit. You'll have to have dated her up to the point where she's offered to use her influence with the DA/cops, of course.

And there's always a free one on the rock just above Algonquin.

Best not to make any plans that specifically require Kiki, I found that she was pretty hit-or-miss in terms of whether she'd actually do anything for you. Mainly miss.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

ChuckDHead posted:

Best not to make any plans that specifically require Kiki, I found that she was pretty hit-or-miss in terms of whether she'd actually do anything for you. Mainly miss.

Strange, always worked for me. Francis otoh has never come through for me after I offed his bro.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
He only does it for you once, too. That rear end in a top hat.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

ChuckDHead posted:

Her ability always worked for me. I made sure to take her out on a date after using it a few times, but I don't know if that actually matters.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I've never had a problem with the ability once she gives it to me, but it can take a while before you receive the phone call where she says she can wipe your wanted level.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I always headed back down onto the tracks and running along them until I was outside the cop zone. Packie and Derek never followed me if you were fast enough to ditch them. Watch out for trains though.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

UnknownMercenary posted:

I've never had a problem with the ability once she gives it to me, but it can take a while before you receive the phone call where she says she can wipe your wanted level.

I do like that a public defender has the same pull as a police commissioner when it comes to calling off a manhunt for a bank robber and cop killer. She's almost as good a lawyer as Ken Rosenberg.

"Tommy Vercetti is an innocent man!"

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 10, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Epileper posted:

He only does it for you once, too. That rear end in a top hat.

And as he found out in my later playthroughs, he only lived that one time to the end game!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Well, I did the level. This time, as well as calling Dwayne's goons as soon as I left the bank, I made sure to stock up on nades and use those to blow up the cop cars and cops and then take out the remaining ones with the rifle.

This worked well, didn't get an RPG for it (are you sure LJ sells em?) so I was happy the nades worked.

Kiki reduced my wanted level to zero while on the stairs (didn't do it for me last time.) and then it was a nice drive home.

This, though, is a brilliant idea:

Spalec posted:

I always headed back down onto the tracks and running along them until I was outside the cop zone. Packie and Derek never followed me if you were fast enough to ditch them. Watch out for trains though.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Wow, now I feel like an idiot for just praying I survived and not using all those awesome options available to me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

aBagorn posted:

Wow, now I feel like an idiot for just praying I survived and not using all those awesome options available to me.

I pretty much slid easily through it on my 2nd game of GTA IV, oddly enough a few years earlier when I played GTA IV for the first time Clover and the last drat mission against old Peg took a billion tries were suddenly cake walks done in one go.

I remember experimenting with using grenades to help clear the cops faster in one of the earlier attempts on the first game and lets just say Packie and Derrick aren't frag proof :(.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice

Install Gentoo posted:

I guess from everything I've heard: Grand Theft Auto III on the iOS and the Android isn't actually too bad. I read that it's the equivalent of playing it on a PC with the maximum settings. Still no Infinity Blade though.

Personally I wish they would have released Vice City along with it, just as they did when they ported it to the xbox. I suspect they'll probably release Vice City on mobile devices -- it just makes sense financially. I peeked on wikipedia and Vice City had something like 17 million units sold by 2008 where as Grand Theft Auto III had only sold something like 14 million by that time. Wish they would've thrown multiplayer into the Android and iOS editions though, since Liberty City Stories had multiplayer!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Stories games are really fun and I would definitely shell out money for a PC/modern console port.

It's a shame they didn't put multiplayer in the vanilla 3/VC because the maps are small enough to work for it. Multi Theft Auto mods for those games were lots of fun. From my experience, GTA4's map is obnoxiously big for any multiplayer that doesn't isn't racing.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Can someone repost the links to all of the past threads?

edit: nvm, found em

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 14, 2011

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
Just in case anyone wasn't aware, the tenth anniversary edition of GTA3 is out now on the app store. I can't say what it's like on iPhone but it's good fun on iPad, really takes me back. It has a tendency to crash quite a bit though.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

I've played the first 10 or so missions on GTA3 on the iPad, and haven't seen any crashes yet. It is great fun, I was expecting to be dissapointed (like every other 1st/3rd person iPad action game), but so far it's great.

The question is, will they bring out Vice City for iPad?

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006

BigHandsVince posted:

I've played the first 10 or so missions on GTA3 on the iPad, and haven't seen any crashes yet. It is great fun, I was expecting to be dissapointed (like every other 1st/3rd person iPad action game), but so far it's great.

The question is, will they bring out Vice City for iPad?

Yesterday I played for maybe an hour or so and it crashed three times. Just put another half an hour in there and it didn't crash once. So I dunno.

Vice City and SA would be amazing, depends if they can find enough processing power to run the larger games.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm playing GTA III 10th Anniversary on my Android tablet using a wired Xbox 360 controller and HDMI out. The only thing that bugs me is they don't seem to have mapped a button to "sprint" or "activate vehicle mission". It's one of the controllers they explicitly support though, so I'm hoping they remap it - has anyone else with Android tried using a PS3 controller instead, and can say whether you have all the actions mapped by the game?

I mean I tried using touchscreen controls but that was just aggravating. I have managed to snag 30 hidden packages despite not leaving Portland yet, and really need to complete more than just the two beginning missions (Give Me Liberty and Luigi's Girls). Finally, has anyone else noticed that the bat seems much stronger, and the cop response seems lessened? I could swear on PC/PS2, you weren't able to kill people with just two whacks of the bat, and killing a police officer would always get two stars instead of just one, but I've not played III for a few years before starting this.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 17, 2011

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
I haven't played GTA3 since it came out and what surprised me was the ferocity of the police when you get to 3-4 stars, compared to GTA4 at least. Hard to outrun, and they pull no punches when ramming you off the road.

Another two crashes in the last 30 minutes. It loads quick so you're back playing again in 20-30 seconds, but it's still annoying. This is on iPad 1 running iOS 5.0.1 by the way.

mark-p87 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 17, 2011

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

dogydemoc posted:

I haven't played GTA3 since it came out and what surprised me was the ferocity of the police when you get to 3-4 stars, compared to GTA4 at least. Hard to outrun, and they pull no punches when ramming you off the road.

Also, the army showing up is basically instant death with their M16s. The army got seriously nerfed in all future GTAs.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Well, I eat my words. GTA3 on the Iphone is nothing short of amazing (technologically speaking). The controls are reasonably good (Aside from shooting imo)and the game is literally the same as the PS2. Instead of playing weak games, I can fire up GTA3 and do some taxi missions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

Also, the army showing up is basically instant death with their M16s. The army got seriously nerfed in all future GTAs.

The FBI would show up and immediately either kill you or blow up your vehicle and kill you.

• Locked thread