Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

weekly font posted:

Does this show have a conclusion or does it just end?

It has a conclusion. I think they ended up cancelling anyways so it feels a bit rushed but the story is all tied up.

It could have definitely gone on longer and the "conclusion" definitely leaves you asking a ton of questions.

gently caress I guess it does just end. But not in the "poo poo just got cancelled sorry," way

quote:

In 2009, plans were announced for both a feature film version of the series[3] and a continuation of the Jericho storylines in a comic book series.[4][5]

So there might be a film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
What is taking Netflix so long at pushing closed captioning updates for anything other than the PS3? It's fairly annoying since some titles have very soft speech but deafening explosions and the like, so captioning would be a plus.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Didn't yesterday's update give the 360's Netflix app captions? I updated my system but didn't try out Netflix, though I've heard a few people say that captions on 360 are now an option.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Didn't yesterday's update give the 360's Netflix app captions? I updated my system but didn't try out Netflix, though I've heard a few people say that captions on 360 are now an option.

Oh really? I haven't turned mine on yet to get the update.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Is anyone else having trouble with the new XBox 360 Netflix app? Mine doesn't play anything, and there's no button to start the episode. WTF?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Party Plane Jones posted:

What is taking Netflix so long at pushing closed captioning updates for anything other than the PS3? It's fairly annoying since some titles have very soft speech but deafening explosions and the like, so captioning would be a plus.

The Arbor has automatic subtitles, even though it absolutely doesn't need it. Meanwhile Casa de los Babys they forgot to put on the subtitles for the spanish, so the movie is impossible to follow unless you speak the language.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Party Plane Jones posted:

When you're watching something like that, are you listening to a stereo and not surround sound system?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

If you're interested in TV shows, the entirety of Arrested Development is on Instant streaming (and when the show comes back, Netflix Instant is going to be the "channel" that carries the new episodes apparently), and I really can't recommend it enough if you've never watched it. As for movies, I'll throw another recommendation for Exit Through The Gift Shop in here. It's an art documentary, and it's good, but that's all I'll say about it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Christoff posted:

Jericho

I need to watch this.

And you need to watch Breaking Bad.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Has anyone else ever been instant watch cockblocked? So far it has happened twice:

1. Fiance was watching 2001: A Space Odyssey, got to the part where Frank dies, and had to reset the router because it lost connection to our streaming device. When it came back on, the movie was completely gone from Netflix.

2. Two days ago, I noticed Crank 2 was on, and the ADD thread inspired a rewatch. I added it to my queue, and the following morning, woke up to notice that like 2001: A Space Odyssey it was completely gone.

I really wish the device UI's would show when each film is going to expire.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Parachute posted:

Has anyone else ever been instant watch cockblocked? So far it has happened twice:

1. Fiance was watching 2001: A Space Odyssey, got to the part where Frank dies, and had to reset the router because it lost connection to our streaming device. When it came back on, the movie was completely gone from Netflix.

2. Two days ago, I noticed Crank 2 was on, and the ADD thread inspired a rewatch. I added it to my queue, and the following morning, woke up to notice that like 2001: A Space Odyssey it was completely gone.

I really wish the device UI's would show when each film is going to expire.
What are you using to stream it? PS3 interface lets you know the expire date if it's going away.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

fenix down posted:

What are you using to stream it? PS3 interface lets you know the expire date if it's going away.

I'm using a Vizio Blu-Ray player. I've had it for about 6 months now, and it's extremely slow, constantly loses its connection to Netflix, and doesn't allow you to search Netflix titles. My fiance is getting me a PS3 for Christmas this year, so I'm glad to hear that their interface allows you to see the expiration date.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Parachute posted:

I'm using a Vizio Blu-Ray player. I've had it for about 6 months now, and it's extremely slow, constantly loses its connection to Netflix, and doesn't allow you to search Netflix titles. My fiance is getting me a PS3 for Christmas this year, so I'm glad to hear that their interface allows you to see the expiration date.

Also should fix the other problems mentioned, including searching titles.

One question about Netflix on the PS3, what would be the best way to put any sort of "parental controls" on this? My 5 year old uses it all the time and he's really good about it, but Netflix likes to randomly place "Visually striking dark movies", "Violent Dark and Gritty movies", and "Scary supernatural movies" right under "Kid friendly talking animal shows" (which, for some reason, includes "Ren & Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon", "Fritz the Cat", and "30 Second Rabbit Theater")

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
Have you tried parental controls via the website? Or, make a separate profile for the kid, if that's possible to work with the ps3.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Also should fix the other problems mentioned, including searching titles.

One question about Netflix on the PS3, what would be the best way to put any sort of "parental controls" on this? My 5 year old uses it all the time and he's really good about it, but Netflix likes to randomly place "Visually striking dark movies", "Violent Dark and Gritty movies", and "Scary supernatural movies" right under "Kid friendly talking animal shows" (which, for some reason, includes "Ren & Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon", "Fritz the Cat", and "30 Second Rabbit Theater")

That and Netflix just made a "Just for Kids" channel so that you don't have to get any of those suggestions. Of course, if you're like me then this doesn't help because Wonder Pets and Dora are sitting somewhere in between a bunch of horror movies on my instant queue....I just try to scroll past them real quick.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Mouser.. posted:

That and Netflix just made a "Just for Kids" channel so that you don't have to get any of those suggestions. Of course, if you're like me then this doesn't help because Wonder Pets and Dora are sitting somewhere in between a bunch of horror movies on my instant queue....I just try to scroll past them real quick.

But the just for kids thing is on the website and not the PS3 app, right?

My trick with the instant queue is to bump all the kids stuff to the front and then put documentaries, or other things boring to kids, between their stuff and anything bad.

Capt. Carl
Jan 14, 2007

Fear is the darkroom where the Devil develops his negatives.
Anyone else's netflix sucking poo poo? It keeps having to stop and load for the past few days. My internet isn't slow either. I'm using wii.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Terriers is a single-season television series that aired in 2010 on FX, and centered around two scrappy private investigators in contemporary San Diego. It had a pretty big following over in TV IV, but I can't find the thread any more.

It's a really clever show that kind has a very human, subdued sense of humor, but constantly steps into straight crime drama. Both those elements really mesh, though, thanks to its surprisingly convincing investigative plotting. Plus, it helps that the characters feel really human.

Check it out if you haven't heard of it, it's not too much of an investment and the season wraps everything up quite nicely.

Edit: beaten, my bad.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 19, 2011

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Capt. Carl posted:

Anyone else's netflix sucking poo poo? It keeps having to stop and load for the past few days. My internet isn't slow either. I'm using wii.

It's been fine here, and my internet is Clear's 4G service through the airwaves, which is barely enough to support Netflix streaming. But it's been smooth and good quality.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

f#a# posted:

Terriers is a single-season television series that aired in 2010 on FX, and centered around two scrappy private investigators in contemporary San Diego. It had a pretty big following over in TV IV, but I can't find the thread any more.

It was talked about on the last page, but yeah, it's really good.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 19, 2011

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I have no idea if it's new, but Stephen Fry in America came up a few days ago in my recommended list, and I marathoned it. It's amazing. Six one-hour episodes of Stephen Fry, Official British National Treasure (tm), making his way across every state in the nation. I'm American, and I would call this series life-changing. It really opened my eyes to what I have available to me as an American, and I've already begun making plans for my life based on what I saw. If you're an American, you'll love his reactions to cultural differences he encounters, and if you're not, it will maybe give you a better perspective on what America is all about than Fox News and GBS.

Edit: I just want to say that I've been fairly depressed about the state of my nation and it's politics. This series really gave me hope for the future of my nation, regardless of what happens politically. If you've been reading too much D&D, and you're down about our chances, this series is the perfect antidote. It's not really patriotic or jingoistic, since it's all told from the perspective of an Englishman, but it's incredible to see the diversity and adaptability of American culture through so many different settings.

Petr fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 19, 2011

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So I just noticed that, despite when that whole clusterfuck went down I chose to go to streaming only, over the last 3 months I've been charged for Streaming AND One DVD. Good job, Netflix. :thumbsup:

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

weekly font posted:

So I just noticed that, despite when that whole clusterfuck went down I chose to go to streaming only, over the last 3 months I've been charged for Streaming AND One DVD. Good job, Netflix. :thumbsup:
Did you not check your bank account in the last three months or something?

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Game

One part Seconds and two parts Funny Games, Fincher's least-acknowledged film is also one of his most gleefully cruel, putting the screws to his audience almost as much as he does to Michael Douglas's harassed investment banker. I can't totally disagree with its status as a "lesser" Fincher (it certainly doesn't have as much meat as Social Network, Zodiac, or Se7en) but even bad Fincher is good cinema and if that sounds like faint praise it isn't, because The Game is really good. More importantly, though, it's on Instant in HD, which is a huge step up from the poo poo-tastic letterboxed DVD.

We just watched this the other night and the only odd thing was the letterboxing kept changing on it, which was a little annoying at first but eventually we just ignored it. Of course, we're watching it on Wii and that's been acting a little funny since the update.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Very dark, provoking Korean film, part of a trilogy with Oldboy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. Ryu, a Korean worker, attempts to negotiate a kidney transplant for his dying sister. Things happen. Sequential violence ensues.

Seconding the Downfall recommendation earlier in the thread. Excellent historical movie.

The Dittus
Dec 8, 2006

Darth Freddy posted:

If no one here has seen The Hebrew Hammer then there is something wrong with your life that you need to fix.

Happy Hanukkah!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It seems the XBOX 360 subtitles are pretty broken, it is a random chance if they will work in a movie or not and when playing TV series episodes it takes until the second one you watch for them to pop up. Sorta annoying.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Does anyone know the inner workings of netflix's system? I'm just curious if the studios/whoever get paid a lump sum or if they get paid per view or something like that.

edit: also as a quick reccomendation, Rowan Atkinson Live! is actually quite funny, it's really theatrical. I have no interest at all in his Mr Bean character.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 21, 2011

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Darth Freddy posted:

If no one here has seen The Hebrew Hammer then there is something wrong with your life that you need to fix.

I've been watching this in fits and starts - I kind of like it but I feel like it's a one trick ethnic joke pony that isn't enough to sustain a feature film, it would have been one hundred percent hilarious as a fake extended trailer and packed more punch that way.

Batui
Mar 13, 2005

I noticed that Tiny Furniture just popped up on instant watch. I remember a few goons really, really hated that movie, and now I can see what drew out that anger.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Piano posted:

Does anyone know the inner workings of netflix's system? I'm just curious if the studios/whoever get paid a lump sum or if they get paid per view or something like that.

edit: also as a quick reccomendation, Rowan Atkinson Live! is actually quite funny, it's really theatrical. I have no interest at all in his Mr Bean character.
Mr Bean is the best silent comedian of our time! And yes, his show is on Netflix too.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Mr._Bean_The_Whole_Bean/70213239?trkid=2361637

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

all while doing a little of this...

Haha this GIF is amazing and so is the movie.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

fenix down posted:

Haha this GIF is amazing and so is the movie.

Agreed. The third act definitely went in a different direction than I was expecting.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
That's probably my most recommended movie available on instant stream. It's really something to talk about.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Piano posted:

I've read that in at least some cases it's both.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Hard Target is on Instant, and it is absolutely loving ridiculous.

It's about JCVD playing, more or less, "Cajun" Saxton Hale (in actuality he doesn't even try not to sound Belgian). He wages his own personal war on a rich-people conspiracy, not out of some sense of duty, but because he hasn't filled his beating-people-up quota for the day yet.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys

WickedIcon posted:

It's about JCVD playing, more or less, "Cajun" Saxton Hale (in actuality he doesn't even try not to sound Belgian). He wages his own personal war on a rich-people conspiracy, not out of some sense of duty, but because he hasn't filled his beating-people-up quota for the day yet.

It is important to note this movie also features a creole Wilford Brimley. Some scenes may include moonshine and flaming arrows.

I've been told Chocolate is an amazing Thai kung-fu movie. And from the bits I have seen, I agree.

DONT DO IT fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 22, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

WickedIcon posted:

Hard Target is my favorite Van Damme movie, but it transcends that faint praise into an actual badass, entertaining, ridiculous action movie. It's John Woo's first American movie, and it has Van Damme with a mullet, essentially starring in The Most Dangerous Game in New Orleans. Plus, the bad guys are Lance Hendricksen and Arnold Vosloo, so what's not to love?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

DONT DO IT posted:

It is important to note this movie also features a creole Wilford Brimley. Some scenes may include moonshine and flaming arrows.

I've been told Chocolate is an amazing Thai kung-fu movie. And from the bits I have seen, I agree.

The story is silly as hell, but the action scenes were great with some really cool set pieces.

Clumsy Card House
Jan 6, 2008

Everyone go watch Delicatessen. It is absolutely brilliant if you like black comedies. I found the first half to be way better than the second half though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Rock-afire_Explosion/70218315?trkid=2361637

The Rock-Afire Explosion

Remember the Robot monsters that gave you the creeps while you ate lovely pizza at Showbiz Pizza in the 80s? Want to see people bring these horrors back to life and talk about them like its the greatest thing ever?

Not since Tideland have I felt more unsettled by film.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 22, 2011

• Locked thread