Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

loving bullshit Australian release dates, it's not out here till loving March.

My mate got it on Blu-Ray from the UK for about $25 or something silly I think he said, from zavvi. We watched it last night. I liked it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Region-locked? My blu-ray player isn't universal (or at least, I don't think so).

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 4, 2011

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Region-locked? My blu-ray player isn't universal (or at least, I don't think so).

I vaguely remember my mate saying that the UK is the same region as us for Blu-Ray when someone else asked him the same thing.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

invision posted:

I can safely say that TT3D is hands down the best motorcycle movie ever made.

However, due to the type of race, the most tragic as well.

Fastest, sequel to Faster, is also out now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ziploc posted:

However, due to the type of race, the most tragic as well.

Fastest, sequel to Faster, is also out now.

Local dealership and photographer hosted a showing of Fastest Friday night. Really enjoyed the movie even if it did seem to focus on Rossi a little more than needed. Could actually see myself buying a copy.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

:stare:

From the UK to US. Well done Amazon.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
http://hallicino.hubpages.com/hub/Hypermile-your-motorcycle-up-to-179-MPG-No-snake-oil--no-scams

Whoah! Talk about a pile of bad advice. I wonder what whoever wrote that article thinks will happen when the oil pump stops lubing the gearbox but the gears keep turning at highway speed?

e: in before bad vstar jokes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

clutchpuck posted:

http://hallicino.hubpages.com/hub/Hypermile-your-motorcycle-up-to-179-MPG-No-snake-oil--no-scams

Whoah! Talk about a pile of bad advice. I wonder what whoever wrote that article thinks will happen when the oil pump stops lubing the gearbox but the gears keep turning at highway speed?

quote:

These techniques are effective with all motorcycles, from the weeniest 125cc commuter single cylinder to the most powerful 2 litre V-twin.

LOL "powerful" Harley engines.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Where the gently caress does he live where a week's worth of groceries only costs $12?!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

Where the gently caress does he live where a week's worth of groceries only costs $12?!

When I'm filling up, I always pour out a few extra gallons for my homies.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Why the gently caress would you intentionally adjust it so your throttle only opens half way? Just turn the throttle only half way yourself. Intentionally limiting yourself is dangerous.

Also, how foolish of me, I should be riding right up on trucks to save that extra five bucks a week.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Austin F1 track update time...

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111207/F1/111209916
The FIA World Motor Sport Council has confirmed that the 2012 Formula One schedule has not been changed, which means the United States Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, is set for Nov. 18.

In a statement released on Wednesday morning, U.S. Grand Prix organizer Circuit of the Americas said construction work on the racetrack southeast of Austin would restart immediately. Work was stopped in November when a disagreement over the contract and control of the event put the 2012 race in doubt.

Red McCombs, chairman of McCombs Enterprises and founding partner of Circuit of the Americas, said in a statement, "[Bernie] Ecclestone received his check today.

...the real problem was the simple failure to pay Ecclestone the agreed sanctioning fee, despite being given extra time to do so. However, he insisted the project's finances had nothing to do with him.

What was that disagreement about? Money, of course, according to Promoter Tavo Hellmund.

From 11/17/2011
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111117/F1/111119835
...the real problem was the simple failure to pay Ecclestone the agreed sanctioning fee, despite being given extra time to do so. However, he insisted the project's finances had nothing to do with him.

“In late spring amongst our partners we had just a view of thinking of a different direction of the way things should go,” he said. “That happens, and no one's necessarily right or wrong. That created the current friction, but nothing that would derail the project.

“The real reason that we're having this press conference today, instead of announcing a huge sponsor, which I hope we can do in a couple of weeks, is the simple fact that we don't have a contract with F1. And the reason we don't have a contract with F1 is that as a project, we have failed many times over to fulfill our financial obligations to F1. It's literally that simple.

2012 Formula One Calendar
March 18: Australia
March 25: Malaysia
April 15: China
April 22: Bahrain
May 13: Spain
May 27: Monaco
June 10: Canada
June 24: Europe
July 8: Great Britain
July 22: Germany
July 29: Hungary
Sept. 2: Belgium
Sept. 9: Italy
Sept. 23: Singapore
Oct. 7: Japan
Oct. 14: Korea
Oct. 28: India
Nov. 4: Abu Dhabi
Nov. 18: Austin, Texas
Nov. 25: Brazil

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

I love that starting your bike from a roll with the clutch can cause it to flip over.

quote:

:argh:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Z3n posted:

I love that starting your bike from a roll with the clutch can cause it to flip over.

Dump the clutch, lock up the rear, go into a tank slapper, highside? I guess?

Also I'm really glad the Austin circuit got their poo poo together and is proceeding. Excited to have F1 in the States, and also excited that F1 going forward means MotoGP is more likely to end up there too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Dump the clutch, lock up the rear, go into a tank slapper, highside? I guess?

Also I'm really glad the Austin circuit got their poo poo together and is proceeding. Excited to have F1 in the States, and also excited that F1 going forward means MotoGP is more likely to end up there too.

You'd have to stomp the rear brake too. No bike's gonna lock the rear for long enough while restarting at that speed to tank slapper.

Is there more news on the Austin thing? Last I heard it was stalled because TX didn't come through with the promised 25 mil and everyone's sitting around with their thumbs up their asses.

Also, this is loving AMAZING:

http://courseware.ee.calpoly.edu/~amaccarl/MyMethanolMotorcycle/

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
Anybody own a CB1300S here? Pros and cons? I used to have a superfour and miss the thing more than I should :)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Z3n posted:

Also, this is loving AMAZING:

http://courseware.ee.calpoly.edu/~amaccarl/MyMethanolMotorcycle/

quote:

Methanol is also a much more efficient fuel than gasoline. My average fuel economy during daily commuting is 27 mpg of methanol, equivalent to 54 mpg of gasoline. With conservative driving, I've achieved up to 35 mpg of methanol, equivalent to 70 mpg of gasoline.
This statement strikes me as wildly backwards. Doesn't that mean methanol is only half as efficient as gasoline?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I think he's trying to say that two gallons of methanol is the equivalent of one gallon of gasoline, from an oil conservation perspective, which I suspect is wildly wrong anyways.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

This statement strikes me as wildly backwards. Doesn't that mean methanol is only half as efficient as gasoline?

I think it's that methanol is approximately twice as efficient in the combustion process, using aproximately 34% of the energy stored, vs. gasoline's ~20%.

So it would take twice as much gasoline to get him where he's going.

Sort of awkwardly worded.

(Figured it from here:
http://kanat.jsc.vsc.edu/student/farrell/tsld020.htm

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Z3n posted:

I think it's that methanol is approximately twice as efficient in the combustion process, using aproximately 34% of the energy stored, vs. gasoline's ~20%.

So it would take twice as much gasoline to get him where he's going.

Sort of awkwardly worded.

(Figured it from here:
http://kanat.jsc.vsc.edu/student/farrell/tsld020.htm

Ah, so I guess the difference is that the total kilocalorie measurement of the stored energy in a gallon of methanol is about half that of a gallon of gasoline. So getting the same mileage out of a single gallon means you're not wasting as much potential energy.

edit: here's a handy chart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent#GGE_-_Gasoline_Gallon_Equivalent_.28US_Gallons.29_Tables

Gasoline is 114,000 BTU/gallon, whereas methanol is only 56,800 BTU/gallon, so to get the same gas mileage from methanol, you need a process that's twice as efficient. Really the problem is when he says "Methanol is also a much more efficient fuel than gasoline" what he really means is "the process of extracting energy from methanol is much more efficient than gasoline", as Z3n pointed out.

SlightlyMadman fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 7, 2011

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

They already have a contract with Dorna/MotoGP (provided they don't gently caress it up like they nearly did with Ecclestone, that is) for races to start in 2013.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Z3n posted:

Is there more news on the Austin thing? Last I heard it was stalled because TX didn't come through with the promised 25 mil and everyone's sitting around with their thumbs up their asses.

Yeah, Bernie got his check: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/07/last-minute-deal-saves-2012-united-states-grand-prix-in-austin/

Raven457 posted:

They already have a contract with Dorna/MotoGP (provided they don't gently caress it up like they nearly did with Ecclestone, that is) for races to start in 2013.

I do remember that, but when the F1 deal was in limbo construction actually stopped for 2-3 weeks. I thought that if F1 fell through, the track would basically sputter and die.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I thought that if F1 fell through, the track would basically sputter and die.

Yeah, that's what me and some local friends here figured too, that MotoGP, Aussie Supercars and everything else was sort of an extra bonus taking place after Formula 1 got under way. It was a bit odd in my opinion that they signed contracts with additional racing bodies when there was so much still up in the air about the track itself. I can't imagine having the heartburn of wondering if I was going to have to go back to Dorna and everyone else to try to back out of those contracts.

Either way, I'm really hoping it all works out, 'cause I'd really like to go see the inaugural MotoGP race :D

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat, two separate fatalities in one freezing December night in New Hampshire. Wasn't expecting that.

One a young kid, the other a passenger of a drunken rider. Haven't seen a bike on the roads around here in weeks.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

LOL "powerful" Harley engines.

We can close our eyes and try to ignore it, but to be quite honest such a phenomenon does indeed exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9z-PxQspDg

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

We can close our eyes and try to ignore it, but to be quite honest such a phenomenon does indeed exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9z-PxQspDg

Dedicated drag bike, most likely a ~2300cc v-twin running nitro-methane, yet it only puts out 300hp?

I stand by my statement.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

STALKER 2 concept art...apparently it's all the rage to wear A* moto boots in nuclear wastelands?

:confused:

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Those are almost certainly motorcycle pants, as well. They look a lot like my FirstGear pants. I'm just glad to see they're logically wearing real protective gear, instead of the classic Mad Max leather jacket and such. Honestly in any sort of apocalyptic scenario, I can't imagine you'd beat motorcycle gear for flexible, light, breathable outfits with fantastic impact resistance that would be invaluable when you take a fall or get hit by anything short of a bullet.

I've especially never understood why in zombie movies, the motorcycle shop isn't the first place survivors go. I'd love to see you try biting through good leather or 1,000 denier cordura, not to mention an adventure bike with 4-5 nice big gear boxes on it being the absolute best way to get around in the apocalypse.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

SlightlyMadman posted:

I've especially never understood why in zombie movies, the motorcycle shop isn't the first place survivors go. I'd love to see you try biting through good leather or 1,000 denier cordura,

I was just explaining this to a friend the other day, even assuming increased jaw strength your average zombie is going to have a tough time biting through any decent leather gear. A two piece suit, open face helmet with a full face visor (for spatter protection and maximum visibility). Armoured gloves and boots that come over the suit. You'd probably just want to go for stuff slightly larger than your usual size for greater freedom of movement.

quote:

not to mention an adventure bike with 4-5 nice big gear boxes on it being the absolute best way to get around in the apocalypse.

...until all the petrol goes stale. Too many zombie scenarios gloss over this. It would be a good tool for escaping populated areas and driving way into the wilderness but after that it's useless until you can find an alternative fuel.

Unless you can get one of those sweet (but admittedly slow) military diesel KLRs.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

ReelBigLizard posted:

...until all the petrol goes stale. Too many zombie scenarios gloss over this. It would be a good tool for escaping populated areas and driving way into the wilderness but after that it's useless until you can find an alternative fuel.

Unless you can get one of those sweet (but admittedly slow) military diesel KLRs.

Not to turn this into the apocalypse survival megathread, but this isn't as big of a deal as you might think. First of all, you'd want to gather all the gas you can right away (which you'd probably do anyways) and put some fuel stabilizer in it. If you're really stuck with "bad" gas, you can add isopropyl alcohol to "dry" the fuel if the problem is due to water contamination from improperly sealed containers. Most of what goes wrong though is evaporation and oxidation. The former will make it tougher to start and the latter will clog up your fuel lines and the like, but it will still make your bike go.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SlightlyMadman posted:

Not to turn this into the apocalypse survival megathread, but this isn't as big of a deal as you might think. First of all, you'd want to gather all the gas you can right away (which you'd probably do anyways) and put some fuel stabilizer in it. If you're really stuck with "bad" gas, you can add isopropyl alcohol to "dry" the fuel if the problem is due to water contamination from improperly sealed containers. Most of what goes wrong though is evaporation and oxidation. The former will make it tougher to start and the latter will clog up your fuel lines and the like, but it will still make your bike go.

You'll still run out sooner or later.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I always figured on hoarding electric motors in the zombie apocalypse. They can do work and generate power, win/win.

Well, actually I'm practical, so I always assumed I'd be one of the ones who is dead or a zombie. That's no fun though.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

nsaP posted:

Well, actually I'm practical, so I always assumed I'd be one of the ones who is dead or a zombie. That's no fun though.

My zombie plan always involved my DRZ, baseball bat, shotgun, bottle of tequila, and a few hours of fun. The zombie apocalypse never sounded like that great a place to live in anyway.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Washington State folks - the law allowing offroad motorcycles to be modified and street registered [again] applies as of January 1, 2012. But I can't really find much specific information on it yet.

Anybody heard anything?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

ThumperTalk, in the regional forums, has a pretty good thread about it. Once you get past all the "gently caress CHRIS" posts.

Basically, you need lights, horn, signals, quiet pipe, DOT tires and a license plate holder that hangs off the back like an OEM plate holder would (aka, huge and ugly for the LEOs)

Then you take it to a dealer who provides the legalization certification, and pay up to $50 for your papers, they sign off on them, you go to a licensing place and badda bing badda boom.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

STALKER 2 concept art...apparently it's all the rage to wear A* moto boots in nuclear wastelands?

Thanks for reminding me that STALKER 2 probably isn't going to come out. :negative:

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Ugh, I just started my day with a massive argument about cell phones and driving. How the hell can people still think it's no big deal? When I talk to somebody and find out that they use their cell phone while driving, I feel exactly the same as if they'd just told me that every once in a while they'll climb up a tower and fire a gun into a crowd of people just for fun.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Ugh, I just started my day with a massive argument about cell phones and driving. How the hell can people still think it's no big deal? When I talk to somebody and find out that they use their cell phone while driving, I feel exactly the same as if they'd just told me that every once in a while they'll climb up a tower and fire a gun into a crowd of people just for fun.
Totally off topic digression here.
You know you've really gotten into the Google+ Mindset when you decide that you don't have anything unique or really worth adding to something someone posted, but you want to express that you agree with the sentiment expressed, and you :smith: that the SA forums don't have a +1 button.

That said, texting is infinitely worse than talking - although I'm not surprised to see any debate at all circling around whether talking on the phone is worse than talking to a passenger, when studies have shown that yes, it is - and have even shown *why* that is. When you're having a discussion with your passenger, they're sitting right next to you, and are actively involved in the process of driving. They're not manipulating the controls, necessarily, but they are aware of the surroundings of the car, and the level of mental effort you're expending, and they're also involved in observing the environment around the car scanning for threats. It's sort of a team effort.
The guy on the other end of the phone is not aware of any of that, and just takes your attention away from what's happening around you and moves it miles away.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

The funny thing is that people always say things like "there's no proof that it's any worse than talking to somebody" and I have to immediately say "Yes there is! Here's some links to the studies!" Of course that doesn't seem to change their mind at all, because what it boils down to is a twofold problem: 1) Everyone thinks they're a better driver than everyone else out there, and while it's theoretically dangerous for most, they can clearly handle it, and 2) It just strikes people as ridiculously inconvenient to wait until they're stopped to do something with their phone when it's right there in their pocket, and they've become addicted to its ever-presence.

What I love the most though, is when people say "well if you ban talking on cell phones you'll have to ban driving tired or hung over and fumbling through your CDs too!" First of all, those things are already illegal in most states, usually called "impaired driving" (and when you're hung over you probably still have an illegally high BAC). Second, just because a measure won't solve every conceivable problem doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. Firefighters don't sit outside burning buildings saying "Yeah I could save that one guy in there, but if I saved him I'd have to save that other guy too and he's out of reach. Guess we'll just have to let them both burn."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

SlightlyMadman posted:

The funny thing is that people always say things like "there's no proof that it's any worse than talking to somebody" and I have to immediately say "Yes there is! Here's some links to the studies!" Of course that doesn't seem to change their mind at all, because what it boils down to is a twofold problem: 1) Everyone thinks they're a better driver than everyone else out there, and while it's theoretically dangerous for most, they can clearly handle it.
Another (less divergent) digression.

I've been on a real psychology/neuroscience/math/relationships kick for the last several months, and I still find it mind-blowing that we have specific names for stuff like this.

In this case, it's Fundamental Attribution Error.
Bob tripped over a rock. Bob is clumsy.
I tripped over the same rock. Stupid rock was in my way.