Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I used the "Get free app" button on the Marketplace site to have the app pushed to my phone. It was pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently i had it installed already. Thanks.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
My xbox live account and account on my phone are different and I cannot use my companion app. Anyway to merge them?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
You could try contacting Microsoft about it, but I suspect the answer is No.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Wheezle posted:

You could try contacting Microsoft about it, but I suspect the answer is No.

I am going through the process of backing up all my pictures on my laptop then am going to reset my phone and set my Xbox Live account as my default account on the phone. It is the only way I see to do this so I can use the companion app. It is my own drat fault for not using it the first time. :(

I just went and added XBL to my default account on my phone and cancelled it on my other account. I lost a whopping 250 gamerpoints. :emo:

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 8, 2011

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I am going through the process of backing up all my pictures on my laptop then am going to reset my phone and set my Xbox Live account as my default account on the phone. It is the only way I see to do this so I can use the companion app. It is my own drat fault for not using it the first time. :(

I just went and added XBL to my default account on my phone and cancelled it on my other account. I lost a whopping 250 gamerpoints. :emo:

You can switch the live id on your xbox account, although it's a bit late for that now.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
Are there really no food apps that incorporate camera barcode tracking yet?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Any further news on the Awful app? I'm really excited to see what the release version will look like!

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Resubmitted, just waiting for the confirmation from Microsoft!

Sent from the Awful app

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Okay, so what's the best Scrabble-alike for Windows Phone 7? My wife has a Focus and wants to be able to play me, but I'm on either iOS or Android, depending. Is there any clone that talks across these platforms for multiplayer?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Nothing cross platform yet, though Wordfeud announced that they have just started development of a WP7 version.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

smr posted:

Okay, so what's the best Scrabble-alike for Windows Phone 7? My wife has a Focus and wants to be able to play me, but I'm on either iOS or Android, depending. Is there any clone that talks across these platforms for multiplayer?

I use AlphaJax (which is WP7 only), but Words by Post looks like it's also got iOS & Android versions:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/c3a68698-3f49-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

oldy
Feb 23, 2006

well let me tell you this, I am shamelessly self-involved
Words By Post is cross-platform and works really well.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Thanks all, will try that.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

oldy posted:

Words By Post is cross-platform and works really well.

if anyone is any good, my name is porkfatmd

the ranking and 3-way cross platform make this game. The board layout kind of stinks and the tiles seem to bunch up with all consonants or all vowels a lot though. It's still the best scrabble clone on WP7.
*edit - too many usernames to remember.

ForkPat fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 21, 2011

smr
Dec 18, 2002

PorkFat posted:

if anyone is any good, my name is porkfatmd

the ranking and 3-way cross platform make this game. The board layout kind of stinks and the tiles seem to bunch up with all consonants or all vowels a lot though. It's still the best scrabble clone on WP7.
*edit - too many usernames to remember.

I've been trying to get into it and your thoughts are the same as I've come to. The layout is just atrocious and whatever randomizer engine it's using to hand out tiles is asswipey, too.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Awesome, rejected again due to violation of policy 3.6.3:

Any adult and/or borderline adult content (images, text or audio) is not allowed.

Goons love their thread titles with witty sexual innuendos. Trying again, only allowing Pet Island to be accessed until the app is accepted...

In the meantime, here are screens from the latest version (imgur): Screenshots

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Stick a few pictures of cats on it and call it Pet Island Forum Reader.

Surely the people who are checking the apps are going to get suspicious ?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bootleg robot posted:

Awesome, rejected again due to violation of policy 3.6.3:

Any adult and/or borderline adult content (images, text or audio) is not allowed.

Goons love their thread titles with witty sexual innuendos. Trying again, only allowing Pet Island to be accessed until the app is accepted...

In the meantime, here are screens from the latest version (imgur): Screenshots

Can we download this new version if we have beta access like last time?

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Yes, but I have to begin another beta. With the way things are going, that might be the only way you guys will get to use it (outside of having dev privileges/unlocked phone).

clandestine cactus
Feb 5, 2009

Hot Rope Guy
If we have a dev unlocked phone how can we get our hands on this?

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Go ahead and sideload this: Awful.xap

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
The Awful app being rejected is ridiculous considering I've seen an app named "I LOVE BOOBS" before.

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*

bootleg robot posted:

Yes, but I have to begin another beta. With the way things are going, that might be the only way you guys will get to use it (outside of having dev privileges/unlocked phone).

Do you by chance have a feedback or contact address for anyone at the windows app store? Some of these policies are a bit ridiculous and I'd love to share my opinion with someone who might pass the word on up the chain of command.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

isochronous posted:

Do you by chance have a feedback or contact address for anyone at the windows app store? Some of these policies are a bit ridiculous and I'd love to share my opinion with someone who might pass the word on up the chain of command.

The marketplace developer support email address is mktpdev@microsoft.com. There was an internal address that allowed me to carry out a dialogue with the team that reviewed my app, but I don't think that's the proper channel for the public to offer comments.

Here are some cases regarding Microsoft rejecting applications that serve dynamic content:

http://www.wpcentral.com/ffffound-finds-trouble-marketplace-adult-content-rears-its-head-again

http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-nukes-rejected-imagewind-windows-phone-7-app-from-marketplace/

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-rejecting-social-app-japan

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 30, 2011

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*
Thanks, tweeted some feedback to @windowsphone and also sent an email to that address. Hopefully if enough people complain we can at least get some type of age verification system that will allow verified people to access more mature content.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Wow, you must have some major pull because Awful just got accepted! Will publish when I get home. Thanks for being patient guys. :)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Awesome :haw:. Maybe I can stop using my iPhone now - the Awful app was the main reason I held out for so long.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
drat, this is a nice app. Very well thought-out forum reader, very nice so far. Are there any clever tricks for using it, other than holding threads to open the menu to bookmark them and that sort of thing?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

It may be because I am sick but I have two questions.

1. What is thread timeout?

2. When I swipe the jumplist for post numbers over, how do I make it disappear?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I'm really glad to see the updated version out on the marketplace. Now that we have bookmarks, I won't have to use the browser anymore. Also like the adjustments to the layout and q handling. The jumplist had me confused, too. When it's out, it obscures some of the text and I couldn't find out how to make it go away. Tapping a poster's name helped. Is it possible to make the text align with the list as long as it's out, and also make the list disappear on a tap anywhere?

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

WFGuy posted:

drat, this is a nice app. Very well thought-out forum reader, very nice so far. Are there any clever tricks for using it, other than holding threads to open the menu to bookmark them and that sort of thing?

No clever tricks yet, but if there's some feature you would like the app to have, I'm all ears.

Doomsday Jesus posted:

It may be because I am sick but I have two questions.

1. What is thread timeout?

2. When I swipe the jumplist for post numbers over, how do I make it disappear?

Don't worry, it's not you.

1. The thread timeout setting adjusts how long the app should take to pull the page from the web before timing out (you'll get an dialog message that says to try and reload the page again). Since you can stop and reload pages anyway, I think I'll just make the timeout 1 minute and remove the ability to change it.

2. You make it disappear by tapping the post author's name (for now, see below).

Badly Jester posted:

I'm really glad to see the updated version out on the marketplace. Now that we have bookmarks, I won't have to use the browser anymore. Also like the adjustments to the layout and q handling. The jumplist had me confused, too. When it's out, it obscures some of the text and I couldn't find out how to make it go away. Tapping a poster's name helped. Is it possible to make the text align with the list as long as it's out, and also make the list disappear on a tap anywhere?

You used to be able to tap anywhere; it's a bug in this version, and I have an idea how to fix it -- there will be an update soon.

I can make the text align with the jumplist, just trying to think of a way to do it smoothly!

sarcasticsmoothie
Apr 7, 2011
Just installed the app; looks good and so far and I look forward to the mentioned changes.

Would it be possible to get forum links to open within the app instead of opening IE?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I would like an option to open links in IE if you put in an in-app type browser. I don't like in app browsers, personal preference.

The app looks good but I randomly went to a thread that has some special encoded characters (צהו) and they weren't recognizable. Not a huge issue, but something to add to the list.

Edit: here is a thread with those encodings: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2249721&pagenumber=90#pti24

Also, is it possible to autohide the numbers bar? It gets in the way of reading text on the right of the screen and I am not sure how to make it go away.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 1, 2012

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Dead Man Posting posted:

Also, is it possible to autohide the numbers bar? It gets in the way of reading text on the right of the screen and I am not sure how to make it go away.

You can hide it by tapping on the area with the poster's name, avatar and the post time as bootleg robot mentioned.

Speaking of the jumplist, I find it hard to tell how many unread posts are left on the page when the list is hidden to the side. With the dark background, the block color of the unread post number when the list is hidden, which shades the blocks, is such that it practically blends in with the background unless you look very carefully. It is possible to see a part of the tens digit of the hidden jumplist but that still leaves out posts 1 through 9.

Also when you leave the page while there are still unread posts, it should really mark up to the post you have read rather than just marking all the posts on that page as read. The forum does have a built in action that can mark a post as the most recent read that could facilitate that. However, you would have to make sure that that post hasn't already been read or you could end up constantly changing how many posts you have read. Actually, I would like to see that action implemented so I can use it manually for when I end up reading too far into a thread and want to back up until I'm ready to continue.

Ninja edit: Okay so I somehow ended up being unable to hide the post list by tapping the aforementioned area that I suggested. Not quite sure how to reproduce it though part of the bug involved the thread going back to the first page when moving forward which in and of itself another bug that I don't know how to reproduce. The problem doesn't persist if you leave the thread and reenter it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Awful Forum Reader by KollaSoft, is that the Awful app?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Yup! Digging the app, would love to make bookmarks the first screen instead of the forum list.

gsroppsa
Oct 29, 2005

Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick
When I click on a bookmarked thread, it will take me to the last read page of the thread. I swear when I first loaded the app it was taking me to the last read post. Am I doing something retarded now or is that how the app works?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
It takes me to the top of the page with the last read post, regardless of where that post was on the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Bad news: spent the day off sick in bed. Good news: also spent the day off fixing bugs and adding features.

• New JumpList. Double tap the thread title to view.

• Option to Mark current post as read. Awful will automatically report the latest read post as such to SA. (Edit: The app will only do this if you leave the page (pressing Back, Start Button, etc.) I can't add this until I handle the following case:

- User has visited thread X on the web and their last read post is on page 8. User uses awful, browses to first page of X -> leaves thread page.

• Choose which section you want to see first on startup (Forums or Bookmarks).

• Minor bug fixes (will add to description of next version). I'll post some images of the new JumpList in a few.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 3, 2012

• Locked thread