Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I didn't grow up reading the X-Men, and just recently went through most of the old issues, but for me the worst thing about the transition to the 90s art is that the pages just become illegible to me. It might just be that I didn't grow up with them, or I'm missing some kind of fluency I was supposed to pick up from somewhere, but somewhere around 1991 I lose the ability to interpret them visually, and a lot of the time the broken, mostly shouted dialogue isn't much help.

It is almost guaranteed that if Shinobi Shaw shows up in an issue, for example, I'll have no idea what the hell happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Modus Operandi posted:

What I hated the most about the 90's art movement was that you went from fairly realistic body proportions, clothing, and hair styles to men looking like bodybuilders or silverback apes and every woman had the basic stripper body with silicon looking breasts. This looks especially stupid on someone like Cyclops and even Professor Xavier. I can't be bothered to find it but there are a lot of 90's depictions of Xavier looking hilariously roided out sitting in his cyber chair.

You don't even have to go back that far.

Looks like he mind-controlled some dianabol manufacturers?

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
GMo has his own theory about '90s art, that it was sort of a punk movement as a response to the "hippie" artistic stuff from the '80s and the British invasion. He's big into sunspot theory stuff, though.

I think it was just a bunch of inexperienced artists who didn't understand the importance of subtle moments in storytelling. So as a result you got these comics in a perpetual state of tension and exagerration, which makes them exhausting to read through.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SkellingTon Loc posted:

GMo has his own theory about '90s art, that it was sort of a punk movement as a response to the "hippie" artistic stuff from the '80s and the British invasion. He's big into sunspot theory stuff, though.
From what I recall it's more the popularity of it was a punk response than the art itself. People bought what they felt embodied that (intentionally or not) and we ended up with the Image guys becoming popular.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Fallen Rib

Pacra posted:

My uncle was a para-Olympian back in the 70's. From the pictures I have seen, he used to be pretty ripped (upper body wise) but no-where near to that.
Still, just because someone is in a wheelchair doesn't mean they cant have some muscle.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Did he ever even use his arms to move his wheelchair? I don't recall it ever being addressed, but it seems to me as if he'd be better off using his brain powers to move himself around. I know in the cartoon he had that zamboni chair that he flew around in, which I remember mainly because I had the action figure.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Awesomonster posted:

He's great too, but I've always liked how Paul Smith drew Nightcrawler more, and since Nightcrawler was my favorite as a kid, Paul Smith wins.

Are you me?

Stagger_Lee posted:

It is almost guaranteed that if Shinobi Shaw shows up in an issue, for example, I'll have no idea what the hell happened.

Fortunately, Shinobi Shaw showing up is pretty much a guarantee that nothing important happened.

Senior Woodchuck fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 3, 2011

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Endless Mike posted:

From what I recall it's more the popularity of it was a punk response than the art itself. People bought what they felt embodied that (intentionally or not) and we ended up with the Image guys becoming popular.

Bingo. In the nineties we only cared about hard bodies striking poses in the midst of violence. The comic companies could have taken the high road, but that would have only hastened Marvel's bankruptcy.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Awesomonster posted:

Did he ever even use his arms to move his wheelchair? I don't recall it ever being addressed, but it seems to me as if he'd be better off using his brain powers to move himself around. I know in the cartoon he had that zamboni chair that he flew around in, which I remember mainly because I had the action figure.

Charles Xavier doesn't have telekinetic powers.

He does have all sorts of fancy flying chairs in the comics too, though.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Haha man, shows how good my memory is! But my (relatively stupid) point still stands, flying wheelchair means even less of an excuse for beefy arms.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery

Endless Mike posted:

Oh yeah, that makes a lot more sense. Guess i misinterpreted what he was saying.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm glad someone posted Byrne who quickly became my favorite of the 1980s, especially when inked by Terry Austin. Back then I bought pretty much everything he did and it really taught me about the value of good inkers. I had the opportunity once to watch John draw the Scarlet Witch and it was amazing seeing her slowly emerge on the paper.

I'm surprised people like Paul Smith based on that example that was posted. It looks terrible to me, like some high school kid who was tracing a comic book but got all the proportions screwed up. Can someone post more by him to straighten me out?

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Pacra posted:

What we need is one issue where we just see Xavier pumping iron in his chair. Just panels and panels of him sweating and cranking out reps and sets on various machines with no explanation while pausing every now and then to shout out telepathic orders through a portable cerebro.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I don't think there's a single thing that is not unsettling about this cover.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 8, 2011

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Wow, that combination of the face of an 8 year old and the butt-tits pose of a Liefeld character is exceptionally unsettling.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Internet Wizard posted:

Wow, that combination of the face of an 8 year old and the butt-tits pose of a Liefeld character is exceptionally unsettling.
I didn't notice the arched back at first, I though it was an 8 year old Scarlet Witch who was pregnant. :stare:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I never really understood the love that some people give Art Adams, his women are consistently horrible to the point of looking disfigured.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dacap posted:

I never really understood the love that some people give Art Adams, his women are consistently horrible to the point of looking disfigured.

Really? I've been an Art Adams fan since the late '80s, and always thought drawing cute women was one of his specialties. But that's an awful cover -- something about her face reminds me more of recent Howard Chaykin than Adams' classic style.

I also didn't realize she was supposed to be a kid at first, since I haven't been following that storyline, but she did look "off."

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Really? I've been an Art Adams fan since the late '80s, and always thought drawing cute women was one of his specialties. But that's an awful cover -- something about her face reminds me more of recent Howard Chaykin than Adams' classic style.

I also didn't realize she was supposed to be a kid at first, since I haven't been following that storyline, but she did look "off."

She's actually supposed to be a kid? Because those curves say otherwise and I'm weirded out by the whole situation.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Internet Wizard posted:

the butt-tits pose of a Liefeld character

oh it's not just Liefeld. check out that tumblr I posted a little while up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Fallen Rib
The face looks fine if you are going for the look of an 8 year old. The body though. There is so much wrong with that face on that body. Honestly, it's almost as if artist can no longer draw the female form without it having it be a certain way. Doesn't matter if it's an 8 year old or 98 year old, they must all have the body of a 20 year old swimsuit model!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

fritz posted:

Yeah, that logo says Spider-Girl, but my brain just sees that as Spider-Man doing something very wrong. That's not how you use webbing Spider-Man! :gonk:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Some Bruce Timm here for art of the better kind:

Could be just me, but when I realize my own expression is matching that of the character on the page, that's a sign that the artist did well.

For some reason, it's the woman in the background that gets me even more than Conan.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fritz posted:

This is why I could never get into Spider-Girl. After reading Spider-Man for so long seeing the classic costume (mostly) on a teenage girl felt a little too much like taboo fetish fan-fiction.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Where did you read that she was supposed to be a kid?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Where did you read that she was supposed to be a kid?

The two posts above mine, plus the "Children's Crusade" title made me think it was a story about superheroes transforming into little kid versions of themselves.

It wasn't?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Art Adams haters can step out.

Not one of his better pieces, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The two posts above mine, plus the "Children's Crusade" title made me think it was a story about superheroes transforming into little kid versions of themselves.

It wasn't?

No, it is not. The Children's Crusade title has to do with the Young Avengers.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Art Adams haters can step out.

Not one of his better pieces, though.

What would be one his better pieces then?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

What would be one his better pieces then?

The last one is a GOOD example of how that Scarlet Witch cover should have come out.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 10, 2011

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It looks like he used the same layout for that and the Scarlet Witch.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It looks like he used the same layout for that and the Scarlet Witch.

Yep, one was published and the other wasn't. So that's probably why the Scarlet Witch cover looks worse than his usual stuff, and worse than the Magik image.

Another:

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 10, 2011

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Yep, one was published and the other wasn't. So that's probably why the Scarlet Witch cover looks worse than his usual stuff, and worse than the Magik image.
At least in the Magik image she 1) doesn't have the face of an eight-year old and 2) the gauntlet covers up the worst effects of the wasp waist/bent spine.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It just seems to be his style. It's the rounded faces. Look how Dazzler compares with the other X-Women.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Mazed posted:

Some Bruce Timm here for art of the better kind:

Could be just me, but when I realize my own expression is matching that of the character on the page, that's a sign that the artist did well.

For some reason, it's the woman in the background that gets me even more than Conan.

Could I get an issue number or some context on this one? the expressions are delightful.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Breetai posted:

Could I get an issue number or some context on this one? the expressions are delightful.

That's from Conan's Favourite Joke, a short 4 page or so thing, which google tells me is in this issue of Conan. It's a great little comic.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Another:

She looks like she's about to tip over. That's not even an "action" or "sexy" pose. That's an "I'm precariously balanced and about to hit the floor" pose.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

She looks like she's about to tip over. That's not even an "action" or "sexy" pose. That's an "I'm precariously balanced and about to hit the floor" pose.

No, no, it's a perfectly realistic "gently caress, metal armour is heavy." pose.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

So I bought "Creepy Presents: Bernie Wrightson" off Amazon while looking for a nice horror comic to read and I have to say his art is incredible. I'm not sure if he's been posted in the thread yet or not, but I doubt anyone would be too angry with him being posted again.

This first one is from his comic adaptation of Frankenstein.

The second from a story called "Jenifer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Internet Wizard posted:

That'll happen when someone makes your metal leg significantly shorter than your regular leg. It's a common problem with that freakish hip-sway that comic artists love to put on ladies.