Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can't really find a thread this fits in, but I bought the 560 TI after coming from a Radeon 5870 and the colors, especially in video look all washed out. I never had to mess around with any ATI's calibration so I don't know what it'd be equal to in relation.

Are there any custom calibration profiles or anything I can download?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

Google found this: http://www.freesshd.com/?ctt=overview by googling Windows SSH server. I've never used it myself, and it hasn't been updated for a while. OpenSSH and Cygwin is probably going to be the most up to date choice.

Finally got it working after a lot of fiddling around. openssh makes some default settings in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny that were causing problems. Unfortunately it looks like my network adapter doesn't support wake on lan, but that's not surprising considering it's USB wifi.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've got an excel question that I hope can be answered here.

At work we've got these client reports to do and I feel that at present there's a little bit of inefficiency. We have to grab the client and competitor analysis sheets and then copy and paste their contents into three sheets in the report graph generator. This then does the calculations and whatever to spit out the graphs we need at the end which we then copy and paste into the report template.

I don't like all this copy and pasting though and it feels like something that can be replaced.

The final graph data tables in the generator are the same as the tables that create the graphs in the report template so I'm not sure why they don't just use a vlookup to automate that process but what I was wondering is if there's a way to set an excel sheet to automatically fill itself with the data from another sheet.

For example, if I place files labelled "clientmain.csv", "clientcomp1.csv" and "clientcomp2.csv" into a single folder can I then have a blank sheet in a fourth excel book just grab one of those automatically?

These are just the internal generator and it's stored on the server so any file addresses should be the same for all users. I'm just wondering if it's doable and if so what the code would be.

Additionally, this data has a lot of URLs that need the http :// removed. Right now we just use find and replace in each of the ones we copy into the generator, but it feels like something that could also be automated. Is there a way to do that too?

edit: I think I might have the file importing sorted by using the data importation options and setting it to auto-update.

I've been tinkering with macros today and think that can be used for the find and replace tasks.

I mean, if the data is going to sit sheets that won't even have a name change, then you can run a macro that'll do 3 replace all's across those sheets right?

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 4, 2011

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

298298 posted:

Can't really find a thread this fits in, but I bought the 560 TI after coming from a Radeon 5870 and the colors, especially in video look all washed out. I never had to mess around with any ATI's calibration so I don't know what it'd be equal to in relation.

Are there any custom calibration profiles or anything I can download?

It's probably worth looking around in Catalyst Control Center at all the ATI colour settings, there's one under Desktop Managament and one under My VGA Displays and another under Video. Not sure why they'd be different now if you never messed with them before but you could put them all back to defaults and see how that goes.

Speaking of CCC, anyone know why all the buttons in that application keep flashing on and off? It's loving obnoxious. DISCARD!! APPLY!! DO IT! DEFAULTS!!! ADJUST YOUR GAMMA, FLASHING SLIDER! I'm guessing it's something to do with admin permissions or whatever, it's stupid as hell though.

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 4, 2011

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

baka kaba posted:

It's probably worth looking around in Catalyst Control Center at all the ATI colour settings, there's one under Desktop Managament and one under My VGA Displays and another under Video. Not sure why they'd be different now if you never messed with them before but you could put them all back to defaults and see how that goes.

The 560TI is Nvidia, not ATI. He's asking why the colors seem washed out with the Nvidia card.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Super Dude posted:

The 560TI is Nvidia, not ATI. He's asking why the colors seem washed out with the Nvidia card.

Ohhhhhhh right. Well for what it's worth the Catalyst stuff seems to have a lot of stuff activated by default - I've never tweaked any of it before, but in my Video settings (for watching video that is) there's a bunch of Flesh Tone, Color Vibrance and Dynamic Contrast settings turned on and ramped up, among other things.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

stubblyhead posted:

Finally got it working after a lot of fiddling around. openssh makes some default settings in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny that were causing problems. Unfortunately it looks like my network adapter doesn't support wake on lan, but that's not surprising considering it's USB wifi.

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to do WOL with wireless.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Answering my own question here: in the Advanced tab of Nvidia control panel for adjusting video color setting there's an option to change the dynamic range to Full (0-255) and default is Limited (16-235), changing it to Advanced solves my problem.

Why it's not set that by default I don't know, Limited looked really washed out to me.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

298298 posted:

Answering my own question here: in the Advanced tab of Nvidia control panel for adjusting video color setting there's an option to change the dynamic range to Full (0-255) and default is Limited (16-235), changing it to Advanced solves my problem.

Why it's not set that by default I don't know, Limited looked really washed out to me.

Some TVs or monitors can't handle "full", if I remember right.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have a feeling I'm over my head, here, but here goes:

Because I'm a nerd (and a sucker for fake language fonts like Standard Galactic Alphabet and Daedric), I was irrationally pleased as punch that someone looked inside the Skyrim files and found that the Dwemer font is there.

I'd like to make a quick-and-dirty font of it. No real reason, except the above. Thing is, most of the searching I've found for software that does this is a) extremely expensive and b) has trial versions that gimp the outcome. For something I'm doing for a random desire, this is... not so acceptable.

tl,dr: Are there programs that I can take an image, say "this blob means A, this blob means B" etc, without too much of a headache?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

HalloKitty posted:

Why isn't this in one of the threads moaning about users? This is bullshit - she shouldn't have been storing her only copy of personal photographs on a company laptop. She also doesn't work there any more. I fail to see how any of it is your issue!

It's an interesting question though, but I'd imagine the AD user account would have had the unique ID which generated the key for the encryption, and you're probably hosed.
Your real problem is a spineless supervisor.

stubblyhead posted:

I wouldn't think logging in as yourself would affect cached credentials, but I think they may expire after some period of time.

Thank you all. I had no idea cached creds would expire. I have a domain laptop I keep at home and use about once a month and it keeps my poo poo cached fine but I actually am using it (very little but still) and don't have any type of EFS on.

Hallokitty you are correct that this is a retarded way to store your only copy of allegedly important jpgs (everyone subscribes to her theory though it seems from PCs to smartphones) and it really is not my problem or responsibility but this was a nice person, the sup is a nice person and I figured I'd do this as a favor if it's not getting in the way of real work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the best way to get 4 copies of Office Home and Business 2010?

They have the downloadable version for $199. Might be a PITA to download 4 times, and every time in the future.

They also have the retail version for $279, which allows 2 PC's - your home PC and work PC. We could buy 2 copies of this, I guess..

Or there's Office Standard 2010, and we could get a Microsoft Open License but we'd need to get 5 users worth. And it's probably more than $199 each.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I got a new hard drive and I want to do a clean installation of Windows 7 on it. Do I have to do anything like de-activate my current OS installation before doing that?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

fletcher posted:

I got a new hard drive and I want to do a clean installation of Windows 7 on it. Do I have to do anything like de-activate my current OS installation before doing that?

Like for licensing reasons? Nah.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

What's the best way to get 4 copies of Office Home and Business 2010?

They have the downloadable version for $199. Might be a PITA to download 4 times, and every time in the future.

They also have the retail version for $279, which allows 2 PC's - your home PC and work PC. We could buy 2 copies of this, I guess..

Or there's Office Standard 2010, and we could get a Microsoft Open License but we'd need to get 5 users worth. And it's probably more than $199 each.

Buy 4 copies online. Download it once. Save the install package on your HDD or a thumb drive. You can use the same install file and just throw a different key in for every machine.

Office Standard 2010 will cost you $350-ish a copy in an open license at that small of a quantity. We just bought a couple hundred licenses.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 5, 2011

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Dwemer Font

Someone else beat you to the punch:

Dwemer font <<.zip

If that's not good enough, Font Forge is free and most of the other font creation programs have a 30 day trial.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
I was wondering if anyone could help me...

I'm hoping to have a standalone PC that just caters to my feeds/calenders, so I can glance at a monitor on my wall and there's my facebook/twitter/gmail/calenders all rolled into one in an ever updating feed. Is Multimi worth the download? Or is there better ways of going about this. Thanks!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WorkingStiff posted:

Someone else beat you to the punch:

Dwemer font <<.zip

If that's not good enough, Font Forge is free and most of the other font creation programs have a 30 day trial.

Not quite what I'm looking for (it uses the incomplete Morrowind images and not the 'full' one found in Skyrim. Also, the author of that program doesn't seem to be willing to offer installing executables for some random reason. And like I said in the first post, most of the font-creation programs I've toyed with gimp outputs in some way to encourage you to buy a full version.

Oh well, I'll just wait for someone else to do it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Faithless posted:

I was wondering if anyone could help me...

I'm hoping to have a standalone PC that just caters to my feeds/calenders, so I can glance at a monitor on my wall and there's my facebook/twitter/gmail/calenders all rolled into one in an ever updating feed. Is Multimi worth the download? Or is there better ways of going about this. Thanks!

It seems like there should be an Android/iPad app for that, you'd probably save a ton on electricity alone.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
With Windows 7, is there a registry setting or hidden setting somewhere to make the file copy dialog always show more details by default?

Everything I've Googled has resulted in having to install some 3rd party tweaking tools that likely have more infections than Snooki's vagina.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

IT Guy posted:

With Windows 7, is there a registry setting or hidden setting somewhere to make the file copy dialog always show more details by default?

Everything I've Googled has resulted in having to install some 3rd party tweaking tools that likely have more infections than Snooki's vagina.

Get Classic Shell. Only install the Explorer part, not the Start Menu part (who would want classic start menu anyway?).

Now open up the settings, start > "explorer settings".
Select the File Operation tab.
Select Always show more details.
Lower the delay for showing the details to about 200.
Uncheck Enable only in Explorer.
Hit OK, and enjoy a life free of clicking More Details.

You may want to change a few other settings in Classic Shell, because by default it puts an up button in explorer, and sets the conflict dialogues to XP style, but this will take you mere moments.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 6, 2011

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

HalloKitty posted:

Get Classic Shell. Only install the Explorer part, not the Start Menu part (who would want classic start menu anyway?).

Now open up the settings, start > "explorer settings".
Select the File Operation tab.
Select Always show more details.
Lower the delay for showing the details to about 200.
Uncheck Enable only in Explorer.
Hit OK, and enjoy a life free of clicking More Details.

You may want to change a few other settings in Classic Shell, because by default it puts an up button in explorer, and sets the conflict dialogues to XP style, but this will take you mere moments.

Can classic shell fix the dumb auto refresh of explorer in Win7?

Installed, it does not.

deong fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 6, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Occasionally, while using Explorer, I'll get a Visual C++-titled popup with "this application has caused an irrecoverable error etc. etc.", then Explorer crashes (and is harmlessly restarted).

I guess that it's probably one of the many shell extension-type programs I have installed that's causing the crash. My question is, is there a way to easily figure out which library is causing the issue? Maybe some of the trillion functions of Process Explorer?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

deong posted:

Can classic shell fix the dumb auto refresh of explorer in Win7?

Installed, it does not.

I have no idea what dumb auto refresh you're talking about, so I'm not too sure what to look for. But I haven't seen any option like that..

I do use it for making the normal status bar useful (showing size of items) where the retarded details pane gives up at 16 items. Yeah, that's right, the stupid details pane in Windows 7 won't count the size of items if you select more than 15. It totally sucks.

It also can add back the shared icon overlay on shared folders, yay!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 7, 2011

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
In explorer, it refreshes the window and rearranges the view.
For example. If you have a folder with 100 images, all named img_001-img_100. As soon as you rename one of these, it will refresh the view, and move your selection to where the new name would be in alpha order. So then you have to scroll through to the next img in order to rename it.

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Let's get weird, but not end of BSG weird.
Not really sure if this is a good place to put this in but I'll try here first.

I am looking for a little extra monitoring for our email server. This server is running Windows server 2003 running Imail. Currently we are monitoring the services and if one goes down we send an alert. Recently we had an issue where our email server was not receiving or sending email but all of the services were running. Since they were all running we did not get an alert. So I am looking for something that can monitor email being received.

What I have in mind is to send an email periodically to an account on the email server then check to see if that message is received. If that message is not received then it should send an alert. Does anyone know of any solutions that can accomplish this or is there an easier way to go about this?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

deong posted:

In explorer, it refreshes the window and rearranges the view.
For example. If you have a folder with 100 images, all named img_001-img_100. As soon as you rename one of these, it will refresh the view, and move your selection to where the new name would be in alpha order. So then you have to scroll through to the next img in order to rename it.

Disable "auto arrange icons" the same way you've been able to since Windows 95 I think.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
Not really sure if this is the right thread for this question, but, here goes. My neighbor's house got broken into a couple of weeks ago, and my car got broken into last night.

This experience has left me pretty paranoid and nervous in regard to my computer and the files on it and their potential of being stolen. I feel like I'd be hosed if anyone got my comp/hard drives and all the data on them. So, the question: is there any practical way of securing this data in case of theft, other than the standard Windows log-on password? Any software that kind of locks down a harddrive with a password, even if the drive gets pulled and put into another machine?

I've never heard of anything, but thought I'd ask.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Install Gentoo posted:

Disable "auto arrange icons" the same way you've been able to since Windows 95 I think.

I'm not seeing this. I checked folder view options, and the right click menu.. Can you point me to it?

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

idontcare posted:

Not really sure if this is the right thread for this question, but, here goes. My neighbor's house got broken into a couple of weeks ago, and my car got broken into last night.

This experience has left me pretty paranoid and nervous in regard to my computer and the files on it and their potential of being stolen. I feel like I'd be hosed if anyone got my comp/hard drives and all the data on them. So, the question: is there any practical way of securing this data in case of theft, other than the standard Windows log-on password? Any software that kind of locks down a harddrive with a password, even if the drive gets pulled and put into another machine?

I've never heard of anything, but thought I'd ask.

If you've got Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise you can use BitLocker to do this. TrueCrypt is a free alternative if you don't.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Can anyone recommend an app that will lock or at least remember window locations in Windows 7?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

crm posted:

Can anyone recommend an app that will lock or at least remember window locations in Windows 7?

Among other things, you can couple window size and position to a program's process name with Winsplit Revolution.

I used it to tame Skype for a while, and even though I don't run Winsplit anymore, Skype's window size and position stay remembered through reboots and updates :iiam:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Has anyone seen this before with W7x64 with teamviewer and webex where you get disconnected or control panel options becomes invisible on the presenter? Tried reboots and having them turn off UAC.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 8, 2011

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

NihilCredo posted:

Occasionally, while using Explorer, I'll get a Visual C++-titled popup with "this application has caused an irrecoverable error etc. etc.", then Explorer crashes (and is harmlessly restarted).

I guess that it's probably one of the many shell extension-type programs I have installed that's causing the crash. My question is, is there a way to easily figure out which library is causing the issue? Maybe some of the trillion functions of Process Explorer?

I had an issue a while back which turned out to be a right-click context menu item that would crash Explorer. I used an app that let you enable/disable all those that were installed. Anything listed as "not Microsoft" I disabled, and then I turned the rest on one at a time until the crash appeared.

It was the tool spoken about here: http://www.steveciske.com/post/Windows-Vista-Explorer-Crash-when-dragging-and-dropping.aspx

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How do I make windows 7 look decently pretty without aero? I'm installing onto a laptop that doesn't support it. 3rd party window manager that's not a resource hog?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

How do I make windows 7 look decently pretty without aero? I'm installing onto a laptop that doesn't support it. 3rd party window manager that's not a resource hog?

The only thing you're really missing with aero in terms of "pretty" is transparent window borders.

It doesn't look that bad really. Is someone specifically requesting you make it "pretty"?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Make the borders thinner for starters. I do this on aero anyway, but the thick flat borders without it look even worse.

Right click desktop > personalise > window colour > advanced appearance settings > border padding > size 0

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Among other things, you can couple window size and position to a program's process name with Winsplit Revolution.

I used it to tame Skype for a while, and even though I don't run Winsplit anymore, Skype's window size and position stay remembered through reboots and updates :iiam:

Unfortunately it always crashes on me, any time I open the options dialog.

Kerfuffler
May 16, 2009

WATCHMEDANCE!

HalloKitty posted:

Make the borders thinner for starters. I do this on aero anyway, but the thick flat borders without it look even worse.

Right click desktop > personalise > window colour > advanced appearance settings > border padding > size 0

Just tried this, great tip thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 8, 2008
Ordered up a copy of Windows 7 Prop 64 bit. Leaving Windows XP behind finally (2001 to 2011, never forget).
Is there any reason I cant download an ISO of Windows 7, install it, use it, and activate it once I get my disc next week?