Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Tailwhoop posted:

There's episode title text and it does show which episodes you've seen. I'm not sure what you're on about.

My point is there is no list. You literally have to scroll over each episode to get a title, which like I said, on a series with 200+ eps, like say every Star Trek, Anthony Bourdain, SNL makes it impossible to find an episode quickly. I liked a list. Not to mention it automatically starts playing an episode when I just want to look at episodes damnit. Maybe I'm missing some menu but so far this sucks.

I did just watch The Chaser again recently and would have to recommend that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

You're out of your mind. Try navigating one of the SNL dvd's. There aren't titles so I have to scroll through literally 5 pictures at a time out of 200 something to find the host. You know, because there is no episode title text.

The title text is the same as before, it's just not in a list form but if you're looking for a particular host I can see how that would suck. Luckily my computer is in the same room so it wouldn't matter to me plus I generally watch shows in order.

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

It also doesn't show which episodes I have already seen.

Mine is showing which episodes I've seen. There is a red bar under the episode that shows how much you've watched. When I pulled up SNL 70's it actually started autoplaying where I left off before the update. Admittedly I'd rather it didn't autoplay but it's just different, I'll get used to it quick enough. Incidentally you can use the chapter skip buttons or whatever they're called to jump 5 at a time.

Evil Badman posted:

Try to do a Party viewing of anything on Netflix. I'll wait.

I've never done that but it sounds fun for the right movie or show. I'm guessing it doesn't work now? Or it just didn't work while the servers were being hammered by people downloading the update? There were a lot of features last night that were unavailable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gently caress yeah Emmet Otters Jug Band Christmas is up. Objectively the best Xmas movie ever.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

NESguerilla posted:

gently caress yeah Emmet Otters Jug Band Christmas is up. Objectively the best Xmas movie ever.

Man you spelled "Die Hard" way wrong. Thanks for letting me know it's on Instant, though!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Watched the wonderful whites (I think I messed up the title). I think its cause its produced by dickhouse, but I went into this show expecting it to be like jackass, with the White family performing stupid stunts around town just to grab attention. Boy was I surprised. First off, their entitlement issues are just astounding, talking about how they deserve the SS checks they get in the mail every month, get out of here with that poo poo. 2nd, they talk about addiction like it ain't no thing. Sharing pills with their kids and all that. I am so happy they took that one ladies baby away. She was snorting pills in the hospital room with the baby only a few feet away.
The sad part was at the end, when you see the grandchildren smoking cigarettes. drat those people.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Is the West Wing on Netflix, and is it any good??? I have a while before I'm re-employed and I have enough spare money to spring for a month of Netflix to watch a cool show.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

gowb posted:

Is the West Wing on Netflix, and is it any good??? I have a while before I'm re-employed and I have enough spare money to spring for a month of Netflix to watch a cool show.
West Wing is DVD-only. Sports Night is on instant though.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
Carl Sagan's Cosmos is up on instant now. I personally have never seen it, but from what I understand it's an amazing series.

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006

casual poster posted:

Watched the wonderful whites (I think I messed up the title). I think its cause its produced by dickhouse, but I went into this show expecting it to be like jackass, with the White family performing stupid stunts around town just to grab attention. Boy was I surprised. First off, their entitlement issues are just astounding, talking about how they deserve the SS checks they get in the mail every month, get out of here with that poo poo. 2nd, they talk about addiction like it ain't no thing. Sharing pills with their kids and all that. I am so happy they took that one ladies baby away. She was snorting pills in the hospital room with the baby only a few feet away.
The sad part was at the end, when you see the grandchildren smoking cigarettes. drat those people.

Yeah that doc is definitely worth a watch. Family is pure train-wreck but so drat interesting.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

casual poster posted:

I think it's called just "The Whites" and I had never read the description I guess 'cause that sounds interesting. Thanks.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
"Brotherhood" was on instant last I checked. It's about a frat initiation that goes predictably wrong (you'll know what I mean about 30 seconds into the movie) and then the complicated web of poo poo they try to do to cover it up.

The plot relies on a lot of unlikely coincidences, some more believable than others. A lot of the good of the movie comes from watching the main characters try to roll with it and adapt to the changing situation. It's a pretty low-budget movie, which shows in a few points, but the actors really pull everything together into an engaging story.

Definite recommendation.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

caveman thug poo poo posted:

I think it's called just "The Whites" and I had never read the description I guess 'cause that sounds interesting. Thanks.
The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.

Craziest family ever. Amazing movie.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
It's not on instant, or netflix at all I think, but everyone should try to watch The Dancing Outlaw at some point in time. He is by far the most interesting member of the White family.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hogfather has been up for a few days at least, my favorite non-traditional Christmas movie.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Hogfather/70213200?trkid=496624

Death's speech at the end about believing little lies so that we can later believe in bigger lies like Justice, Mercy and Duty is outlandish and thought provoking.

koluski
Jun 1, 2009
Luther: Series 1
Spaced (season 1 & 2)

SolidHavoc
Jul 16, 2003

wormil posted:

The title text is the same as before, it's just not in a list form but if you're looking for a particular host I can see how that would suck. Luckily my computer is in the same room so it wouldn't matter to me plus I generally watch shows in order.

Mine is showing which episodes I've seen. There is a red bar under the episode that shows how much you've watched. When I pulled up SNL 70's it actually started autoplaying where I left off before the update. Admittedly I'd rather it didn't autoplay but it's just different, I'll get used to it quick enough. Incidentally you can use the chapter skip buttons or whatever they're called to jump 5 at a time.

I've never done that but it sounds fun for the right movie or show. I'm guessing it doesn't work now? Or it just didn't work while the servers were being hammered by people downloading the update? There were a lot of features last night that were unavailable.

Party viewing doesn't work at all anymore, for me at least. And I have absolutely no idea why they would remove X as the "space" button in the search screen. That makes zero sense.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man why can't I stop watching stupid Storage Wars? What a terrible show.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 04:55 on Dec 15, 2011

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Anyone have any recommendations on horror films? I've watched plenty on Netflix and I feel like I've gone dry on streamable horror films that are enjoyable to watch. Not necessarily good films, but solid films that aren't too low-budget or campy.

Speaking of which, check out Doghouse.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Liku posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on horror films? I've watched plenty on Netflix and I feel like I've gone dry on streamable horror films that are enjoyable to watch. Not necessarily good films, but solid films that aren't too low-budget or campy.

Seconding Doghouse. Really enjoyed that movie.

Check out Vampires. It's a French mockumentary that follows a family of vampires living in Belgium. It's not "horror" but there are a few unsettling moments combined with a bit of really dark humor. I don't think it was ranked to high on Netflix but I really enjoyed it.

Edit: Also have to suggest Dylan Dog: Dead of Night.

Gordong Dongbay has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Dec 15, 2011

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.
Terriers just became available on Netflix. Definitely worth checking out. It's a shame it was canceled early but sometimes I don't mind just having a single season worth of television. I haven't watched the last few, though, so I hope there is no awful cliffhanger.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Utter Amnesty posted:

Terriers just became available on Netflix. Definitely worth checking out. It's a shame it was canceled early but sometimes I don't mind just having a single season worth of television. I haven't watched the last few, though, so I hope there is no awful cliffhanger.

What is this show? The cover is a rip off of Tremors, but, with a dog? It's either some really lovely horror with terrier dogs (the cutest dogs) or some comedy with a weird premise. The description netflix gives tells me nothing. Basically, is it Tremors with dogs? Cause if it is I'm not watching it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

casual poster posted:

What is this show? The cover is a rip off of Tremors, but, with a dog? It's either some really lovely horror with terrier dogs (the cutest dogs) or some comedy with a weird premise. The description netflix gives tells me nothing. Basically, is it Tremors with dogs? Cause if it is I'm not watching it.
I associate it a lot with a show like Burn Notice or Psych; there are bits of comedy, bits of drama, and a lot of character interaction. A recovering alcoholic ex-cop and his ex thief partner are PI's that help their clients with their problems which always end up being much larger problems. Most of what I enjoy about the show is the interaction between the two main characters and their banter.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Utter Amnesty posted:

The first season wraps up pretty nicely. Its a shame there wasn't a second but at least they had an arc they were able to complete.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Liku posted:

Give Dagon a try. It's a surprisingly good adaptation of The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Really, I thought it was going to be just another horrible low-budget horror flick and I walked away pleasantly surprised.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
Jackie Chan's Rumble in the Bronx is on there, I forgot how much that movie rocked. I saw it in theatres when it first came out.

Seasons 1 and 2 of Blue Mountain State are on there too. I love this show, raunchy as hell and the 22 minute episode format makes it work. Thad Castle is the best TV show character ever. If you like college football and getting hammered, give this one a shot.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.

Niggurath posted:

I associate it a lot with a show like Burn Notice or Psych; there are bits of comedy, bits of drama, and a lot of character interaction. A recovering alcoholic ex-cop and his ex thief partner are PI's that help their clients with their problems which always end up being much larger problems. Most of what I enjoy about the show is the interaction between the two main characters and their banter.

I would say it's overall higher quality then either of those shows (Excluding the episode 'Pimp Daddy', which is not high quality). The show had a ton of great talent and guest stars with some incredibly dark character moments. Even the title, which is baffling at first, fits perfectly. I can't wait for this show to end in the best way possible.

Also Heathers is on Netflix. You guys can have Breakfast Club, this was my high school movie.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.
The last season of Rescue Me just became available recently. I haven't seen it yet, but hopefully it's a decent send-off. I thought season six was kind of mediocre, but I've seen it through this far, I need a sense of closure.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

I did just watch The Chaser again recently and would have to recommend that.

The Chaser rules and I've never showed it to someone who didn't love it. Memories of Murder too, if it's on American Netflix.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

mds2 posted:

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.

Craziest family ever. Amazing movie.

This was ridiculous. It makes me feel so ashamed that there are (more than just this family) humans that are like this. Pure stupid. My mouth was agape for a good chunk of this documentary and I was just dumbfounded..

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

casual poster posted:

The description netflix gives tells me nothing.

Basically it was a well acted show about nothing. The characters held promise but turned out uninteresting. It was no surprise it was cancelled. I lost interest after four episodes.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

wormil posted:

Basically it was a well acted show about nothing. The characters held promise but turned out uninteresting. It was no surprise it was cancelled. I lost interest after four episodes.

Well, I'm not going to argue there are huge overarching themes like in Breaking Bad or Deadwood or something, but it's kind of like Justified in that there's a "crime story of the week" with a season long threat that comes in and out of the story. The overall crime plot starts to unravel a little when I think about it but it was enjoyable season of television. Pimp Daddy was a weak rear end episode, though, Thank God it was deep in the season.

It does end with a cliffhanger though! It works as an ending, though. It's hard to believe that Brit would go to Mexico and Hank would ditch Gretchen. So it's only half a small cliffhanger.

E: Also, Tremors ripped off the Jaws poster.

too much dead rat has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Dec 16, 2011

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Utter Amnesty posted:

Well, I'm not going to argue there are huge overarching themes like in Breaking Bad or Deadwood or something, but it's kind of like Justified in that there's a "crime story of the week" with a season long threat that comes in and out of the story. The overall crime plot starts to unravel a little when I think about it but it was enjoyable season of television.

Well each episode of Justified plays into the seasonal/series story. With Terriers I didn't get that there was any plot or direction to the characters. To be fair, I almost quit Justified after the first few episodes because it had the same problem but it had interesting characters to pull it through those episodes. Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal of Terrier but I it had a lot of unrealized potential.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

wormil posted:

Well each episode of Justified plays into the seasonal/series story. With Terriers I didn't get that there was any plot or direction to the characters. To be fair, I almost quit Justified after the first few episodes because it had the same problem but it had interesting characters to pull it through those episodes. Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal of Terrier but I it had a lot of unrealized potential.

Terriers is far from perfect. The acting eclipses the writing but the way they work in the season-long plot was pretty well done, even if the quality varies from episode to episode.

I'm honestly glad there was just one season, I feel certain elements were on the verge of becoming ridiculous and I'm happy it never had the chance to jump the shark and can just be this good and fun little show.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MrGreenShirt posted:

Give Dagon a try. It's a surprisingly good adaptation of The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Really, I thought it was going to be just another horrible low-budget horror flick and I walked away pleasantly surprised.

I've seen it and you're absolutely right; the beginning had some low-budget CGI that almost turned me away from it but I'm glad I stuck with it. Awesome film.

Also, more great horror, The Ward a newer John Carpenter film about a girl admitted to an insane asylum for women who comes to learn about a malicious ghost that starts messing with them. Seems like the typical set-up but it's a good watch.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Does anyone know why Clone High isn't available on Netflix at all? It doesn't even come up in a search on the site.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Liku posted:

Also, more great horror, The Ward a newer John Carpenter film about a girl admitted to an insane asylum for women who comes to learn about a malicious ghost that starts messing with them. Seems like the typical set-up but it's a good watch.

Don't listen to this person. The Ward is garbage.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Deadite posted:

Does anyone know why Clone High isn't available on Netflix at all? It doesn't even come up in a search on the site.

Was this even released on DVD in the US? I thought it was only released in Canada?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Sock The Great posted:

Was this even released on DVD in the US? I thought it was only released in Canada?

You're right, it was only released in Canada. I had heard good things about this show but now the effort it would take to find the DVDs is greater than my interest in watching them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

caveman thug poo poo posted:

It's called "The Wild Wonderful Whites of West Virginia". Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just noticed that Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is up.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Tucker_Dale_vs._Evil/70129463?trkid=496624

• Locked thread