Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
It says "Hello thisismyemail@gmail.com," and unfortunately my real email is my first and last name anyway. Unless that URL is some sort of fancy trick I've never seen before it would seem like it's legit, but you can never be too careful these days.

Can anyone confirm that they've received money on Paypal and got a confirmation email from what appears to be the buyer's email address?

edit: found a way to confirm it myself without clicking the link, I guess it wasn't a scam. Paypal is retarded for sending an email that looks identical to an email that anyone could send.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

hayden. posted:

Can anyone confirm that they've received money on Paypal and got a confirmation email from what appears to be the buyer's email address?

I have no personal experience with receiving PayPal payments but at this point I'd contact PayPal support just to be sure.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

In those instances the best thing to do is not to click the link, but just go to PayPal directly and see if there are any pending items in your account.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
Does anyone know an opposite word for posthumously? I'm writing a paper about an author who has two published books, but only one was published while he was still alive. I feel like there's totally a more concise way to say "while he was still alive" that I'm just missing and my usually word websites are failing me.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have an investing question so basic, I am having trouble finding a basic enough answer online. So someone help me please!

Say the ask price of a stock is listed as
ask (size)
$2 (12,000)

Does the size mean that people out there are selling 12k shares, so (supposing I was the only buyer) I could buy up to 12k but no more?
or
Does it mean that the minimum order is 12k (eek!) shares?

In other words: as stupid as it would be, could I buy, like, 1 share, or 20, or 30, or something less than thousands?

edit: Also, this may take us into "go ask business/finance" territory, but... until now I've invested only in mutual funds. I'm going to try to just trade one or two little stocks as an educational experience. Is there anything enormously different about trading stocks, besides that they're more risky and you can only trade in multiples of the share price?

Diseased Dick Guy posted:

Does anyone know an opposite word for posthumously?

"During his lifetime" or "before his death" are more concise than your phrase, but that's the best I got :/

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 7, 2011

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
Thanks. "During his lifetime" was one phrase I was trying to think of.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

hayden. posted:

I just sold a tablet on ebay and received and email from what appears to be PayPal email that says I need to verify my email to accept the Paypal funds. I don't think I've received money with it before, so I guess that makes sense.

However, the actual "from" address is a Yahoo address that matches the buyer's username on eBay. The link appears to be a legitimate Paypal link and the header info in the email makes it look like it came from Paypal:

Is this some elaborate scam to steal my Paypal account or am I just being paranoid? The email coming from a Yahoo address is a huge red flag to me.

Here's where it linked me, it appears to be Paypal and is secured: https://www.paypal.com/ece/cn=16824163741926693987&em=MYEMAILWASHERE
Best to go to Paypal directly and see if you have any messages about this waiting for you. If there is, you can delete the a-mail or keep it. If not, delete the e-mail.

hayden. posted:

edit: found a way to confirm it myself without clicking the link, I guess it wasn't a scam. Paypal is retarded for sending an email that looks identical to an email that anyone could send.
I once got an e-mail from someone I know, for a donation to my Web site, and all the content in the e-mail was straight from Paypal, heh.

Scams are usually e-mails that look like they come from Paypal but link to other places, rather than look like they come from your buyer but link to Paypal.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 7, 2011

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
This may be better suited in SH/SC but I'll try here first, about a year or two ago I saw a webpage that offered live connection status between all the tier 1 networks (Level3, ATT, etc), does anyone still have the URL for that?

EDIT: Never mind, finally found it. http://www.internethealthreport.com/ for anyone else who's curious.

Brut fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 7, 2011

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
My brother loves Roller Derby and always sits trackside on the floor. I was thinking of getting him a "stadium seat" like the kind that make bleachers more comfortable to sit on.
Is there something better suited for sitting on a floor?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why are do a lot of bacterial strains (especially infectious ones) end in -ococcus? Is there some sort of similarity, or merely confirmation bias on my part?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

alnilam posted:

I have an investing question so basic, I am having trouble finding a basic enough answer online. So someone help me please!

Say the ask price of a stock is listed as
ask (size)
$2 (12,000)

Does the size mean that people out there are selling 12k shares, so (supposing I was the only buyer) I could buy up to 12k but no more?
or
Does it mean that the minimum order is 12k (eek!) shares?

In other words: as stupid as it would be, could I buy, like, 1 share, or 20, or 30, or something less than thousands?

I could be wrong but feel pretty confident based on my textbook knowledge of the topic that I'm not. This means that there are 12k shares available for sale at $2. If you bought 13k shares, 12k of it would be at $2 and the remaining 1k would be at whatever the next best ask price is. This how buying/selling drives the market price up or down.

Minimum order sizes, if they exist, would be determined by your broker but I've never really seen them before. You can buy as much as you want, just know that there's usually transaction fees so buying $10 of a stock doesn't really make sense.

There's a thread in BFC that could answer these kinds of questions for you, too.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 7, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

hooah posted:

Why are do a lot of bacterial strains (especially infectious ones) end in -ococcus? Is there some sort of similarity, or merely confirmation bias on my part?

Wikipedia article on 'coccus' posted:

Coccus (plural cocci) can be used to describe any bacterium that has a spherical shape. It is one of the three distinct types of bacteria shapes, the other two being bacillus (rod-shaped) and spirillum (spiral-shaped) cells.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

hayden. posted:

I could be wrong but feel pretty confident based on my textbook knowledge of the topic that I'm not. :words:

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense!

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Golbez posted:

Coccus info
That sheds light on the Spanish word "coco" used to describe a head (which is somewhat spherical).

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I watched Brewster's Million, and the scene where he mails a postcard with an inverted jenny. Can you still send letters with a stamp that age?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Experto Crede posted:

I watched Brewster's Million, and the scene where he mails a postcard with an inverted jenny. Can you still send letters with a stamp that age?

You can, but if you had one lying around almost any really old stamp is worth more to sell to a stamp nerd than as postage.

You're also allowed to use US Dollar bills as old as like 1863 as regular money today, though again, that's going to be worth more to sell to someone than to use buying mcdonald's.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm American. What kind of american sweets and candies can I get for a British person that they can't get in the UK? Certainly not nutella or Haribo sweets, for sure.

Also, I'm sending it in the mail so no liquids/perishables.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Wedemeyer posted:

I'm American. What kind of american sweets and candies can I get for a British person that they can't get in the UK? Certainly not nutella or Haribo sweets, for sure.

Also, I'm sending it in the mail so no liquids/perishables.
There's tons. Butterfinger, Mr. Goodbar, Hershey's Kisses, Tootsie Rolls, Crackerjacks, Jujubees, Hot Tamales, Swedish Fish, Nutterbutter, Moon Pie, Sno-caps, Candycorn. These are all brands or kinds of sweets that we're aware of from American media but I don't know exactly what any of them are.

I have a pretty good idea what twinkies are but I've never seen or tasted one. They're like spongey little cakes with some cream in them, right?

[edit]I'm looking up most of these now, I was way off on what I thought crackerjacks were.

Ooh, I thought of a good one that I've always been curious about. Lucky Charms cereal. I think we had it very briefly but you can't get it here any more. Marshmallows in cereal, what the hell is that.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 8, 2011

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Is there any way I can donate to an online charity completely anonymously? Like, I don't even want a receipt going to my house. I know I can use those for income tax purposes but I don't care. If it would email me the receipt that would be fine, I just don't want anyone knowing that I'm doing this. I've tried entering completely wrong address information, and a thank you letter still comes to my house (must be connected to my credit card address or something)

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
^^^ Is it the charity you don't want to know about it, or the people at your house/business? Do they have a physical location? Can you just drop off cash? Any sort of transaction is going to show up on your bank report.

Hoops posted:

Ooh, I thought of a good one that I've always been curious about. Lucky Charms cereal. I think we had it very briefly but you can't get it here any more. Marshmallows in cereal, what the hell is that.

Jesus. Half the cereal aisle in the supermarket is composed of marshmallow-laden cereal here.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

OilSlick posted:

Is there any way I can donate to an online charity completely anonymously? Like, I don't even want a receipt going to my house. I know I can use those for income tax purposes but I don't care. If it would email me the receipt that would be fine, I just don't want anyone knowing that I'm doing this. I've tried entering completely wrong address information, and a thank you letter still comes to my house (must be connected to my credit card address or something)

You can buy a prepaid visa. I'm sure you can mail them a check or money order

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Install Gentoo posted:

You can, but if you had one lying around almost any really old stamp is worth more to sell to a stamp nerd than as postage.

You're also allowed to use US Dollar bills as old as like 1863 as regular money today, though again, that's going to be worth more to sell to someone than to use buying mcdonald's.
I guess you haven't seen the movie he's asking about fm. (The plot is the protagonist has to spend a lot of money very quickly.)

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

hooah posted:

Golbez posted:

Stuff.

More specifically, Latin's "coccus" comes from Greek's "kokkos," which means a seed or berry. So, "Staphylococcus" means "cluster of grapes + berries" and "Streptococcus" means "bent + (chain of ) berries."

To answer you question on why a lot of pathogens end in -coccus, as far as Gram-positive bacteria, it's really just the two (staphylococcus and streptococcus). Even then, they are half-assed, conditional pathogens. The rest of the notable Gram-negative human pathogens are rods and staffs. They comfort me.

There are, however, a handful of examples of pathogenic Gram-negative cocci, but they don't tend to end in -coccus unless you're a microbiologist who is 90 years old and stubborn. For example, Neisseria meningitidis (Sometimes improperly called "meningococcus") and Neisseria gonorrhoeae (Sometimes called gonococcus or "Big Daddy.") You can probably guess their associated illnesses. If you can't, ask a hooker.

There are also coccobacilli, which are part-rod, part-sphere, all awesome. They usually have variable shapes and this flexibility lends them toward plaque formation. An example: Bordetella pertussis, which is the rear end in a top hat coccobacillus that gives people whooping cough. Another example: Chlamydia trachomatis.

Speaking of which, if ever you have the fun of a doctor telling you that you have "Coccobacilli on pap" or a "Coccobacilli shift in vaginal flora," they're talking about bacterial vaginosis. I once worked with a creepy dude who claimed he could tell if someone had bacterial vaginosis based only on smelling their pap smear. I'm not sure why I'm telling you that, but this is Ask/Tell so I felt like sharing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any way I can make photos I have been tagged in on face book not show up in my profile without un-tagging myself?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So I just had my debit card info stolen, they bought some stuff on a website, it's a very minor amount of money.

I disputed the charge and I'm getting a full refund, without any hassles, but I have to wonder: What's gonna happen to the people who stole my info? I used to think "welp probably nothing" but if the charge is no longer valid wouldn't that be used to trace the people, or at least cancel sending the product/invalidating it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

So I just had my debit card info stolen, they bought some stuff on a website, it's a very minor amount of money.

I disputed the charge and I'm getting a full refund, without any hassles, but I have to wonder: What's gonna happen to the people who stole my info? I used to think "welp probably nothing" but if the charge is no longer valid wouldn't that be used to trace the people, or at least cancel sending the product/invalidating it?

It's still very difficult to track them down. The item was most likely purchased through a proxy and the item (If there was a physical item purchased) shipped to a drop shipper or re-shipper who didn't know they were receiving stolen goods.

If you caught it fast enough then yeah, they'll cancel the shipment.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

OilSlick posted:

Out of curiosity, why would you go out of your way to hide the fact that you are doing something nice?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Hoops posted:

There's tons. Butterfinger, Mr. Goodbar, Hershey's Kisses, Tootsie Rolls, Crackerjacks, Jujubees, Hot Tamales, Swedish Fish, Nutterbutter, Moon Pie, Sno-caps, Candycorn. These are all brands or kinds of sweets that we're aware of from American media but I don't know exactly what any of them are.

I have a pretty good idea what twinkies are but I've never seen or tasted one. They're like spongey little cakes with some cream in them, right?

[edit]I'm looking up most of these now, I was way off on what I thought crackerjacks were.

Worth knowing that NO English person likes Hershey's. It tastes like vomit compared to our delicious chocolate.

Also, you can get all that stuff here in the UK at Cyber Candy including Lucky Charms.

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 11, 2017

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is there a name for what happens when the sound in one of your ears suddenly gets very dull and you hear that weird tv/radio-signal noise?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

change my name posted:

Is there a name for what happens when the sound in one of your ears suddenly gets very dull and you hear that weird tv/radio-signal noise?

I'm not sure of the name but I do know that means your hearing cells are dying. The high pitch you hear? That's the last time you'll ever hear that pitch again.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Noo, not my hearing cells...

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm not sure of the name but I do know that means your hearing cells are dying. The high pitch you hear? That's the last time you'll ever hear that pitch again.

Tinnitus?

And I've heard that in Children of Men but is that actually true? Is there a source?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Probably not true about my "hearing cells" dying (whatever that's supposed to mean because the mechanism for hearing is a complex mechanism not a cell wall or whatever) since it happens to me sometimes and I can still hear perfectly well

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
I'm going to go ahead and call BS on that whole never hearing that pitch again thing. That just reeks of a stupid myth.

Gonna have to provide a source if you're going to make a claim like that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Of course it's BS, that would mean each of us could only ever heard a fire alarm once in our lives.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

change my name posted:

Tinnitus. It comes and goes, but sometimes it becomes permanent.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

When I have Basecamp open in Chrome, my TV acts all weird like there's bad weather! What the gently caress?! Why would this happen? Is my house about to explode?

Edit: Huh. They were both plugged into the same plug socket. Drawing too much power? What the gently caress is Basecamp doing?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I don't have a Blu-Ray player and my old DVD player is skipping and just sucks in general so I'd like to get a BR this weekend.
I have Amazon Prime and Netflix.
I will get one that at least plays Netflix but should I really get one that plays Amazon if it's 20-40 bucks more? I've never watched anything streaming on Amazon but in my brief browsing I didn't come across much there that wasn't already on Netflix.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I'm going to go ahead and call BS on that whole never hearing that pitch again thing. That just reeks of a stupid myth.

Gonna have to provide a source if you're going to make a claim like that.

I believe that comes from how we have much more astute hearing when we are young (up to 20 000hz or whatever) and it gets worse as you get older.

A fire alarm is probably not high pitched enough to ever not be heard but certainly those really high frequencies are lost in your later years.

Tinnitus is something different which is a constant (or sometimes it comes and goes) buzzing or whistling in the ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is anyone out there selling any SA merch anymore? I just want a sticker.