Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BagelMaster
Mar 20, 2008
So. I'm looking for a game to get into. I pretty much quit gaming outright in 2005 when I was playing mostly original CS and other HL mods. The closest I got back into gaming was joining GOONS on CyberNations in '07 until we got stomped for actually having fun. After that I didn't play anything until getting into MineCraft last fall, and then getting back into Team Fortress (2) this past spring.

My taste in games is more centered around games that can have room to be a spergy try-hard, but can also be really fun and enjoyable for a extremely casual player that can only log on sporadically at times. For that reason, I do really like games that have elements of sandbox environments. I think what is most important to be is that there is an online multiplayer element with a (hopefully) fun goon community that I can play with. There are plenty of times where my friends will be hanging out or going to the bars but I'm too burnt out to go out and spend money, so I just want to gently caress around in a game and BS with some other people.

Oh, and I'm on a late 2008 MacBook Pro (:negative:), SSD and 6GB of RAM so I'm not in terrible shape for hardware, but I'm not going to be running BF3 at max settings at 120 FPS.

Thanks for any recommendations guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Thought about League of Legends? They don't have an OSX client anymore apparently but if you're dual booting Windows it sounds like you might enjoy it.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

BagelMaster posted:

So. I'm looking for a game to get into. I pretty much quit gaming outright in 2005 when I was playing mostly original CS and other HL mods. The closest I got back into gaming was joining GOONS on CyberNations in '07 until we got stomped for actually having fun. After that I didn't play anything until getting into MineCraft last fall, and then getting back into Team Fortress (2) this past spring.

My taste in games is more centered around games that can have room to be a spergy try-hard, but can also be really fun and enjoyable for a extremely casual player that can only log on sporadically at times. For that reason, I do really like games that have elements of sandbox environments. I think what is most important to be is that there is an online multiplayer element with a (hopefully) fun goon community that I can play with. There are plenty of times where my friends will be hanging out or going to the bars but I'm too burnt out to go out and spend money, so I just want to gently caress around in a game and BS with some other people.

Oh, and I'm on a late 2008 MacBook Pro (:negative:), SSD and 6GB of RAM so I'm not in terrible shape for hardware, but I'm not going to be running BF3 at max settings at 120 FPS.

Terraria. You can be a try hard goony sperg making gigantic castles, or you can just chill and kill zombies and poo poo and talk on mumble with goons. Plus if you like griefing you can find hacking tools pretty easily to spam dynamite and literally level an entire map. :v:

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

BagelMaster posted:

Actually sounds like World of Warcraft wouldn't be totally off the mark here, except maybe for the sandbox part.

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

Not quite as powerful as timelord

Casaubon posted:

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom is a great chinese-themed citybuilder, and like 1503 it's isometric, with wonderfully detailed sprites. There's less of an emphasis on seafaring and trading than the Anno series but there's still a fair number of goods to produce. Occasionally enemies will invade your city but if you're rich enough you can avoid combat entirely by bribing them.

I'd love to see a mayan citybuilder but only being able to grow maize might get boring.

Lil' late reply but thanks so much! Pretty much just what I was looking for :)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is a rather niche request, but can anyone recommend a game that has contemporary naval combat? I tried the trial of Distant Guns / Jutland that Grey Hunter LP'd a while back, but the interface is a little daunting and there are no arcade-realism settings.

Pizza Dude
Feb 22, 2011
What are some good pc games that are heavy on exploration? I'm playing New Vegas right now, but I'm looking for something a little more relaxing or less rpg based.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Pizza Dude posted:

What are some good pc games that are heavy on exploration? I'm playing New Vegas right now, but I'm looking for something a little more relaxing or less rpg based.
Minecraft probably is too obvious to even bother mentioning it. Space Engine isn't a game at all and its exploration aspect is very basic, but it features literally billions of procedurally generated star systems to visit, many of which yield some positively breathtaking vistas, and it's about as relaxing as it gets (unless it ends up crushing your dreams and beliefs by making you realise how utterly insignificant your existence is on a cosmic scale).

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Any suggestions for a Dynasty Warriors style game on PC? Something where you hack and slash your way through a mass of cannon fodder, with online co-op too. I know Dynasty Warriors 6 and Orochi Warriors were ported to PC, but it looks like they have local co-op only. I already have Mount and Blade but it feels a bit too sedate to scratch that itch. Would I be right in thinking that Dead Rising 2: Off the Record would come close to fitting that bill?

Tokyo Incident fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 5, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
What good, relatively recent (no older than PS2) two-player beat-'em-ups are there other than Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim, and Streets of Rage Remake?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Rollersnake posted:

What good, relatively recent (no older than PS2) two-player beat-'em-ups are there other than Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim, and Streets of Rage Remake?

Dynasty Warriors (and those other Warriors games) sort of count, right? Otherwise I think maybe Guardian Heroes was re-released, or will be soon?, and I think it's 2 players. (also has the 2D thing, which seems like a common thread in your list).

Yeah, I can't think of much more. Somewhere in the back of my mind I think there's a remake/follow-up to River City Ransom coming out... probably just a dream I had. :(

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Dynasty Warriors kinda works, but I'm not a fan of the splitscreen multiplayer thing.

Guardian Heroes I've got on Saturn. I'm a fan of the genre, so I've played or at least am aware of most of the classics. I know beat-'em-ups tanked in the late '90s, but I'm wondering if there were some more worth playing from the past decade that I might not have heard of.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Rollersnake posted:

Dynasty Warriors kinda works, but I'm not a fan of the splitscreen multiplayer thing.

Guardian Heroes I've got on Saturn. I'm a fan of the genre, so I've played or at least am aware of most of the classics. I know beat-'em-ups tanked in the late '90s, but I'm wondering if there were some more worth playing from the past decade that I might not have heard of.

It's no co-op, but God Hand is really great (PS2).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Not exactly a classic beat-'em-up, but I'm seriously going to recommend you to check out Saints Row 3. You can play with a buddy and punch and shoot and explode everything on sight. It's glorious and a lot of fun.

God Hand, as recommended above, is the last hurrah of the old school genre.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Saoshyant posted:

Not exactly a classic beat-'em-up, but I'm seriously going to recommend you to check out Saints Row 3. You can play with a buddy and punch and shoot and explode everything on sight. It's glorious and a lot of fun.

It's on my list. I had some fun with the Saint's Row 2 multiplayer, but I guess I generally prefer a less sprawling, more focused sort of game design. Also I generally favor local to online multiplayer.

I was looking at Urban Reign and Final Fight: Streetwise (both of which got bad reviews) before I posted here and wondering if they might not be worth a shot anyway just because beat-'em-ups from this era were so sparse.

Edit: Oh, and I've played/love The Red Star, which I forgot to mention above. It's like Guardian Heroes crossed with Radiant Silvergun.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 6, 2011

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Crackdown and Dead Rising 2 are basically modern multiplayer beat em ups, the same with Killing Floor. If you have a Dreamcast (or want to emulate one) Zombie Revenge and Cannon Spike (Cannon Spike is the spiritual predecessor to The Red Star). Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks was also pretty fun IIRC. You also have the option of Dungeon Fighter Online, which is a beat em up MMO (Rusty Hearts and Vindictus are also beat em ups, but DFO is a better game than those two).

Hover
Jun 14, 2003

Your post hits a tree.
The tree is an ent.
The tree is angry.
I've been getting all nostalgic for Mario 64 lately and I've been trying to come up with a solid 3D platformer that has that sense of exploration without holding your hand the whole way. The Galaxy games are fun but they're getting progressively more linear whereas Mario 64 just kind of dumps you in these cool 3D playgrounds. More recently and in the 2D realm I really enjoyed Within A Deep Forest and Knytt.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Hover posted:

I've been getting all nostalgic for Mario 64 lately and I've been trying to come up with a solid 3D platformer that has that sense of exploration without holding your hand the whole way. The Galaxy games are fun but they're getting progressively more linear whereas Mario 64 just kind of dumps you in these cool 3D playgrounds. More recently and in the 2D realm I really enjoyed Within A Deep Forest and Knytt.

Have you tried Psychonauts? There's a PC version and the xbox version runs decently on the 360. It isn't really a perfect fit for your criteria, but it's the only good 3d platformer I can think of.

Hover
Jun 14, 2003

Your post hits a tree.
The tree is an ent.
The tree is angry.

Sizone posted:

Have you tried Psychonauts? There's a PC version and the xbox version runs decently on the 360. It isn't really a perfect fit for your criteria, but it's the only good 3d platformer I can think of.

I have and it was fantastic! Maybe it deserves replay. But it's becoming such a barren and backwards genre that I'm thinking I'll never get one unless I code it myself.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The original Jak and Daxter is a great platformer in the Mario64 genre.

In the 2D realm, Wonder Boy in Monster World and obviously Cave Story are good games that are easily available.

Another World is a game that excels in dropping you into a situation unaware and making you figure out what to do (it also features super boss rotoscoping).

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Yeah, Jak and Daxter was pretty fun. Nice open areas. I played the poo poo out of it just wandering around. If you have a PS2 or whatever I'd say get it. Don't bother with the sequels.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've never played any Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank games. I know that guy says just play the first Jak and Daxter. What's up with Ratchet and Clank? Which are the 'good' ones?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've never played any Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank games. I know that guy says just play the first Jak and Daxter. What's up with Ratchet and Clank? Which are the 'good' ones?

All the Ratchet and Clanks are pretty decent, the most recent one was kinda mediocre IIRC. The reason people say to play only the first Jak and Daxter is because its a really fun platformer and the second and third ones are stupidly hard GTA clones.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

El Estrago Bonito posted:

All the Ratchet and Clanks are pretty decent, the most recent one was kinda mediocre IIRC. The reason people say to play only the first Jak and Daxter is because its a really fun platformer and the second and third ones are stupidly hard GTA clones.

I really thought the third one brought it back to its roots. Sure, it still had cars, but it was less GTA and more Baja racing. :) And there was still a ton of normal platforming in it.

Recently a new one was released, too, had some subtitle like "New World' or something. I bought it but never opened it. I wonder if it was any good.

Anyway, just sticking up for Jak 3 :)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just got a dingoo (portable emulation device). I know that GBA emulation is reportedly perfect but SNES emulation isn't and Genesis might as well not be there. I don't mind though because pretty much any SNES game I want to play has a rerelease for GBA.

So basically what were good GBA games, both original and SNES ports? So far I have:

Castlevanias
Final Fantasies
Marios
Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion
Zelda: LTTP
Advance Wars

I can't think of much else. Basically what were the best GBA games mainstream or obscure?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's basically only a curiosity but maybe you'll want to check out the remake of The Black Onyx. The Black Onyx is a Wizardry clone made by one Henk Rogers. What's cool about it? It was the first RPG made in Japan for a Japanese audience.

I recommend Golden Sun, Chu Chu Rocket, Fire Emblem, and Scurge: Hive. Scurge: Hive is a pretty cool one that doesn't get talked about much. Action game from an isometric perspective, and it moves a lot faster than the RPGs you end up playing a lot of on the GBA.

e; Oh yeah and there was a Puzzle Fighter game for the GBA. Get it get it get it.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
GBA games:

e: Advanced Guardian Heroes
Astro Boy Omega Factor
Chu Chu Rocket! (literally the best game since pacman)
Zelda I+II were released for GBA
Drill Dozer
Fire Emblem(s? Their might be just one)
Harvest Moon
Klonoas
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
Mario Sports games (really great, I think they're made with the Golden Sun engine)
Megaman Battle Network (they're all the same, so just pick any one)
Earthbound 2/Mother 3 (fan translation)
Ninja Five-O
R-Types
Rebelstar Tactical Commando (X-COM)
River City Ransom EX
Riviera
Sabre Wulf (seriously great and addictive platformer race puzzler)
Summon Night 1/2 (anime as a poo poo, but fun)
Super Ghouls and Ghost (may cause the system to break in your hands spontaneously)
Super Puzzle Fighter II
Tactics Ogre
Warios (seriously, all these are great. Wario Land 4 is classic SNES Mario style with lots of style. The Wario Wares are great ultra fast, creative minigames)

I'd say all these are the cream of the crop. Could be missing a few.
e: Actually I might be overstating the Mario sports games: I have a weakness for Tennis and Golf games in general.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 8, 2011

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Since it's an emulation device, Mother 3 and the fan translation patch.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jesus I knew I missed a few but not all those. Thanks, all that alone will make it worth having.

The megaman thing reminded me: The Megaman Zero games were pretty fun if not stupidly hard and unfair sometimes.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I had no idea about that Sabre Wulf game and I was really disappointed when I just looked it up and found out it wasn't a remake of the old ZX Spectrum/C64 one.

Ghost Toast
Nov 4, 2005

Looking for a fun, multi-class game with a levelup/XP/upgrade system that isn't Diablo 1/2, Torchlight, although similarity to those games is alright.

Lots of loot, good combat system, good character progression. Hope that's not too vague.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

God Mode posted:

Looking for a fun, multi-class game with a levelup/XP/upgrade system that isn't Diablo 1/2, Torchlight, although similarity to those games is alright.

Lots of loot, good combat system, good character progression. Hope that's not too vague.

Have you tried Titan Quest with the Underlord mod?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a first-person shooter that specifically lets you shoot Germans and will run on a fairly old laptop with Intel Integrated Graphics.

Something like the original Medal of Honor or the original Call of Duty, except I can't find either of those on any of the usual digital distribution sites (it's supposed to be a gift).

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Iron Storm's kind of cool, but you are a German shooting Russians.

Ghost Toast
Nov 4, 2005

Chinook posted:

Have you tried Titan Quest with the Underlord mod?

Yeah, I love Titan Quest. No telling how many hours I've put into it already.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

God Mode posted:

How do you feel about Roguelikes and Mystery Dungeon games?

Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer is the classic original, and branching out from that the series is available in Pokemon and Dragon Quest flavors.

Besides that, you could try the new Lord of the Rings game War in the North, and Darkspore.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I feel like the best entrance into roguelikes would be the excellent Dungeons of Dredmor. It's a loose recommendation, God Mode, but I feel that if you liked those other games you'd probably enjoy Dredmor.

Ghost Toast
Nov 4, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

LotR: War in the North, Darkspore, MD: Shiren the Wanderer, Pokemon.

I'd never heard of Darkspore but I'm definitely going to check that out, sounds awesome. Thanks!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor[/url]. It's a loose recommendation, God Mode, but I feel that if you liked those other games you'd probably enjoy Dredmor.

Played DoD for a little bit, but dropped it after my first few characters. It's a good game, though.

Also I thought your username was SolidSnakesBanana at first.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm looking for a first-person shooter that specifically lets you shoot Germans and will run on a fairly old laptop with Intel Integrated Graphics.

Something like the original Medal of Honor or the original Call of Duty, except I can't find either of those on any of the usual digital distribution sites (it's supposed to be a gift).

How old is said laptop? I dunno about the graphics chip being able to handle it unless you run in software mode but you might be able to run Return To Wolfenstein on it - that's like 10 years old at this point. It's a decent game - has some really annoying crap towards the end, but the earlier stages are generally filled with plenty of German-shooting action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I'm looking for a mixed turn-based strategy/RTS with non-linear campaigning along the lines of Dawn of War: Soulstorm. Something with more depth like Total War: Rome sounds appealing but is also a little intimidating... are there any games that strike a happy balance between the two?