Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

I want to believe his mentioning the color was a Warhammer joke.

My dad used to say that about my sled before Warhammer even existed. It's an everything joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Yeah, the joke about red things going faster long predates Warhammer.

But saying that, it doesn't necessarily mean Rich Burlew didn't go "Woo, this throwaway gag works on multiple levels! :)"

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
That entire strip was awesome. All of it. I laughed multiple times.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MelvinTheJerk posted:

That entire strip was awesome. All of it. I laughed multiple times.

I love the potential that this gives to future strips. Now Elan formally is the leader of the party, while Roy and Belkar are hired henchmen.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Oh, I'd never heard it outside of the Warhammer context.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Pope Guilty posted:

Red Ferraris. Think about it.

Police LOVE stopping red sports cars, and people love to buy them.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Effingham posted:

Police LOVE stopping red sports cars

That's a myth, actually.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Not to go all anime, but Char (the villain from Mobile Suit Gundam) always paints his Mechs red (more pink really) and they're said to be x3 as fast as regular mechs.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The car color is referred to as "cop-catcher" red for a reason.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Well if they're the most popular color, there's gonna be more of them on the road, so of course there's gonna be more of them pulled over, but because of sheer probability instead of any bias. So it's true and an urban legend at the same time.

...and yet, this is still more interesting than an alignment discussion.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well if they're the most popular color,

Not by a long shot. White, black, silver, and grey all outnumber it by wide margins.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
At least around here red is the most popular colour at 24% of all cars. It varies from country to another, so it'd be hard to say which colour really is the most popular.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

New comic - http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0818.html

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ofcourse he knew :D I want a comic folowing Tarquins awesome adventures.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
But... but... but this means no more Tarquin!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The absence of Tarquin will make his inevitable reappearance all the more awesome.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cabbit posted:

The absence of Tarquin will make his inevitable reappearance all the more awesome.

I am picturing him being killed by Xykon.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I kind of hope that the Tarquin plot isn't resolved within the strip. That would be a great line to leave the character with. I mean, the whole point of the Tarquin plot is that it is to be resolved after the world is saved (and thus the strip is ended).

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
We need to get Tarquin and O-Chul in the same room. That is, if it can handle that much concentrated pure awesomeness.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
At least whenever he eventually is defeated, we know what his gravestone will say.

"Tarquin: Not A Dumbass"

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

The Werle posted:

At least whenever he eventually is defeated, we know what his gravestone will say.

"Tarquin: Not A Dumbass"

I'd prefer "Got poo poo done"

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
I was referring more to the final panel "duh" reveal, but that would also be more than fitting.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Why isn't Tarquin the main character? I DEMAND A TARQUIN SPINOFF

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can totally see this strip ending with the end of the Gates campaign and the start of the Tarquin campaign.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

MikeJF posted:

I can totally see this strip ending with the end of the Gates campaign and the start of the Tarquin campaign.

Can you say "Start of Darkness 2: Dark Harder"?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Are there any ideas / rumors for what the Monster in the Dark is?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nystral posted:

A Dungeon Master.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nystral posted:

An idiot.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Nystral posted:

A good man.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Haschel Cedricson posted:

A good man.

Said by the most awesomest paladin ever; which makes it a fact.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Given the tremendous amount of damage resistance he has, the ridiculous strength, as well as the whole "My dad was big. REALLY big." line out of Start of Darkness, I'd been figuring Baby Tarrasque.

But the Wish thing to rescue O-Chul and Vaarsuvius doesn't really fit with that. So now I'm tentatively thinking mini-Pit Fiend or mini-Balor? Or maybe it IS a Baby Tarrasque who just can cast Wish for some reason?

One way or another, I'm figuring he goes all RotJ Vader on Xykon's Emperor in the final act at the Northern Gate...where our good buddy O-Chul will be meeting back up with the team, and give MitD a reason to switch sides at the last moment.

I also suspect that neither Durkon nor Belkar makes it out of the fight at Girard's Gate alive, leading to O-Chul and Lien taking their places on the team.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The MitD thing is one of those things where the interest has kind of trickled away over a stupidly long time and I can't help but think Rich should've dropped that particular bomb at the Battle of Azure City. I mean what do we really gain by still not knowing what he is?

I guess he could be set up to be some massive anti-climactic joke monster, like one of those little white tentacley-whatevers.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Flumps

I think MitD can be revealed whenever, now that his moments with O-Chul are through; before that a bit might have been lost with giving it away.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 6, 2011

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
The usual theory I've seen bandied about is that it's a bit of the Snarl in some form or another, which also might explain why it can't see the Gates.

I'm personally pulling for a Reduce Person'd titan, though.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

ZeeToo posted:

I'm personally pulling for a Reduce Person'd titan, though.
I'm now wanting this!

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I had a theory that the monster in the dark was going to be an overpowered monster for the first dungeon, but by the time that they finally reveal him he will be an average or below encounter for the characters at their current level. But he seems to have a few powers such as the teleport and knocking Miko around that say otherwise.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Based on how Xykon and Redcloak talk about him, I'm betting the monster is either a complete home-brew (like a Snarl-baby) or is some crazily broken monster out of a forgotten splat-book. Maybe something silly like a kobold with hundreds of templates applied. But not anything that will be guessable by readers, because any normal Monster Manual monster would be both not funny and have no dramatic meaning in the story.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Baby-Snarl would make the best story. Sort of like a baby-god.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Tied a Kobold to the end of a stick, shoved him in the gate and shook him around a little, pulled him back out.

Bam, Kobold covered in Snarl-juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
How much genuine feeling for Elan do you think Tarquin has or is he mostly means to an end?