Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I think we can all agree, regardless of feelings on the original four movies, that the AvP series was a cinematic crime.

EDIT: Just so this isn't all Alien chat, I'm curious if any CD goons have the Criterion BR of "Seven Samurai"? I haven't looked at any reviews yet, and it's probably my favorite movie, so I was curious on the opinions there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Quasipox posted:

I think we can all agree, regardless of feelings on the original four movies, that the AvP series was a cinematic crime.

EDIT: Just so this isn't all Alien chat, I'm curious if any CD goons have the Criterion BR of "Seven Samurai"? I haven't looked at any reviews yet, and it's probably my favorite movie, so I was curious on the opinions there.

Buy it and you won't regret it, ever. Even if you have the criterion DvD is a worthy upgrade.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
All this Alien talk makes me look forward to my anthology which should be sitting at home for me today. Going to watch the poo poo out of that this weekend.

Also, I am really finding it difficult to resist buying the Star Wars complete saga; The reviews are good, but what do you goons that will admit to buying it think?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Quasipox posted:

It also has the sexiest criterion box for what it's worth.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

henpod posted:

All this Alien talk makes me look forward to my anthology which should be sitting at home for me today. Going to watch the poo poo out of that this weekend.

Also, I am really finding it difficult to resist buying the Star Wars complete saga; The reviews are good, but what do you goons that will admit to buying it think?

I spent a night with a friend just watching some of the extras on the discs. It's got a ton of stuff in that regard. I haven't even watched all of the movies since I bought it, but the quality is good.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I finally got The Big Lebowski on Blu-Ray. I'm having trouble finding the commentary track on it. Is there one?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
No.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

CPL593H posted:

gently caress no. The first film is the best of the series by far. It always bothered me that most people like the second movie best, but it's easy to understand why. It's full of action and things going boom. I do happen to like the second movie a lot and have found myself to be one of those rare defenders of Alien 3 (my only major complaint is the painfully dated CG effects). But if someone said I could only ever see one of those movies again it would be Alien without any contest. Incidentally I notice the people who like the first movie best tend to be more serious about film. So I'm sure that your opinion (at least here) is in the majority.

I've said before and I'll say again: Aliens is the best movie ever made, and it has remarkably little to do with things going boom.

Does that make me "less serious" about film?

Also those bad effects in Alien 3 aren't CGI. I think it's poorly composited puppet work? It blew my mind, too.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CPL593H posted:

gently caress no. The first film is the best of the series by far. It always bothered me that most people like the second movie best, but it's easy to understand why. It's full of action and things going boom. I do happen to like the second movie a lot and have found myself to be one of those rare defenders of Alien 3 (my only major complaint is the painfully dated CG effects). But if someone said I could only ever see one of those movies again it would be Alien without any contest. Incidentally I notice the people who like the first movie best tend to be more serious about film. So I'm sure that your opinion (at least here) is in the majority.

I think you're being really unfair to the accomplishments of Aliens. It is an absolute landmark in practical effects and the more technical aspects of filmmaking. It still retains the claustrophobia and isolation of Alien and actually adds action without detracting from that sense of dread. It's fine if you take Alien over Aliens but I'm getting the feeling you're writing the "Aliens > Alien" crowd off for not being as serious about film which is absolutely unfair. Both films not only accomplish what they set out to do but are shining examples of filmmaking and film experts can cite either one and still be taken seriously.

henpod posted:

Aliens is second only to Avatar in my collections of awesome-looking Blu-Rays. The only problem I had was the matte paintings in Aliens are so incredibly obvious and fake-looking on Blu-Ray,

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 1, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm not putting down Aliens. I love the movie. I just like the first one a lot more. And I wasn't trying to insult anyone who prefers it, although I see how it comes off that way. What I meant is that it seems to be the more accessible film. And often times the people I meet who prefer it, it's because of the action and not much else. They tend not to be movie people and they always say the first movie is "kind of boring". CineD opinions tend to exist in a vacuum, so when I say stuff like that I'm typically refering to people in general. I understand pretty well why the crowd here praises it because I usually agree on those counts. Honestly it's unfair to compare them in most aspects because they're completely different movies, but that's a big part of what makes it interesting in the first place (and also not a unique observation, I know).

edit: Regardless, I still maintain that the first film is the superior film.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 2, 2011

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

So I finally got The Big Lebowski on Blu-Ray. I'm having trouble finding the commentary track on it. Is there one?

The Coens don't do many commentary tracks, about the only one I can think of is the one on 'The Man Who Wasn't There' (plus the parody one they wrote for Blood Simple).

Egbert Souse posted:

Gary Tooze must be smoking some serious crack to not see how horrifying StudioCanal's Kundun Blu looks:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews55/kundun_blu-ray.htm

Gosh that looks bad. I mean, look at this.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The complete Battlestar Galactica boxset dropped down to $94.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0036EH3U2

-------

Lionsgate did a really good job on the Pulp Fiction Blu-Ray. New extras in HD, a ton of old extras (including a very excited QT talking about laserdisc while introducing deleted scenes in from of a blue screen) and a great transfer. I saw it awhile back at my old local movie theater and the colors on the new transfer look hotter than I remember but it seems like it is for the better. Looks fantastic in motion.

I hope my Jackie Brown will show up soon.

- edit And something every studio should learn from. No forced trailers before getting to the menu and the "more from lionsgate" selection was only trailers for other Quentin Tarantino movies.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 2, 2011

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
The Pulp Fiction blu-ray is almost perfect except for one part, imo. When Butch is in the basement at the end and breaks out of the chair it seems like they tried to slow it down or something, but it looks like poo poo. Everything else is top notch, the sound, the colors, it all enhances the atmosphere so well, but that one shot just threw me off and I couldn't get over how bad it was. Did anyone else notice this, or is it just me spergin? It looked incredibly jumpy, almost as if my BR skipped, so maybe it's a manufacturing error?

I haven't seen it discussed, but how does 2001 transfer onto blu-ray? I just watched it for the first time in a while recently and it looks great on DVD, so I'm thinking about getting the blu ray if it's a worthwhile upgrade.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

yoohoo posted:

The Pulp Fiction blu-ray is almost perfect except for one part, imo. When Butch is in the basement at the end and breaks out of the chair it seems like they tried to slow it down or something, but it looks like poo poo. Everything else is top notch, the sound, the colors, it all enhances the atmosphere so well, but that one shot just threw me off and I couldn't get over how bad it was. Did anyone else notice this, or is it just me spergin? It looked incredibly jumpy, almost as if my BR skipped, so maybe it's a manufacturing error?
I never understood the point, but that scene is deliberately slowed down, and it's nothing new to the Blu release either.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

yoohoo posted:

I haven't seen it discussed, but how does 2001 transfer onto blu-ray? I just watched it for the first time in a while recently and it looks great on DVD, so I'm thinking about getting the blu ray if it's a worthwhile upgrade.

It looks pretty nice. I mean it's a barebones disc but I enjoyed watching it all the same.

It's often cheap and can dip down to 6 or 7 dollars on some days.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

It looks pretty nice. I mean it's a barebones disc but I enjoyed watching it all the same.

Am I missing something? If he's asking about 2001: A Space Odyssey, it's loaded with great extras and the picture quality is astonishing. Every time I see that disc I'm more impressed and I've seen it multiple times in settings ranging from my home to theatres with big screens and great projection systems.

Reviews agree.

It's also ridiculously cheap.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
2001 is a masterpiece that people, for years now, have used to show their friends WHY they should buy bluray.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Tony Danza Claus posted:

2001 is a masterpiece that people, for years now, have used to show their friends WHY they should buy bluray.

I just got a ps3 about 3 weeks ago, 5 months after buying a 43'' plasma. Today after work I bought my very first blu-rays, Children of Men and District 9. They are amazing and I'm kicking myself in the rear end for not thinking to look for 2001 because that's one of my favorite films and one of the best possible things I can think of to show just how nice the tv can look.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I just discovered that the Cable Guy is now on Blu-ray. This is especially good news because the DVD was in 1:33. Sadly, Death Becomes Her still remains only available via a poorly transfered cropped DVD.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

I just discovered that the Cable Guy is now on Blu-ray.

Let me blow your mind by telling you that, on it, Jim Carrey did his first commentary with Ben Stiller & Judd Apatow...and it is AWESOME!

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 3, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Let me blow your mind by telling you that, on it, Jim Carrey did his first commentary with Ben Stiller & Judd Apatow...and it is AWESOME!

Congratulations, you did in fact blow my mind. I was exicted enough already because I was always seriously disappointed that the DVD is so crappy. I just recently got a Blu-ray player so I've been checking a lot to see what movies have made it to the format.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I've been using Speed Racer for this.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

CPL593H posted:

I just discovered that the Cable Guy is now on Blu-ray. This is especially good news because the DVD was in 1:33. Sadly, Death Becomes Her still remains only available via a poorly transfered cropped DVD.

This baffles me because the premium movie channels have a good HD copy of Death Becomes Her.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

This baffles me because the premium movie channels have a good HD copy of Death Becomes Her.

There hasn't been a widescreen release of this one since laserdisc, right? I don't have cable so I haven't seen this HD version, but I've always had a soft spot for Dead Becomes Her even though it probably would have made a better Tales from the Crypt episode than a movie. I'm happy to know it's been airing in HD.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

There is a ton of good stuff that only the premium movie channels have. MGM HD ran a ton of blaxploitation movies (Blacula, Foxy Brown, Coffy, Truck Turner)

Guess they don't think it is worth the price to press the discs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know and it just pisses me off even more. The HD transfer they have for TV looks really nice. It's such a shame that everyone forgot this movie existed because I really do think it's something special.

Sporadic posted:

There is a ton of good stuff that only the premium movie channels have. MGM HD ran a ton of blaxploitation movies (Blacula, Foxy Brown, Coffy, Truck Turner)

Guess they don't think it is worth the price to press the discs.

This is another thing I sperg about. I loving love Blacula. There's probably never going to be a Blu-ray of it. This breaks my heart.

I'm so passionate about the strangest things.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 4, 2011

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

scary ghost dog posted:

I've been using Speed Racer for this.

Fantastic Mr. Fox, here.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
DVDBeaver's worst review yet:

"America: Needs more purestrain gold."

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Underwater cities with no laws: 5 stars

Buttcoins: 5 stars

Being entitled to the sweat of a man's brow: 5 stars

Masturbating furiously to the rape in The Fountainhead: 5 stars

Overall: Must Own!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World preorder is up at Amazon. $13.99 - February 7th.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006GPANVO

Also a new wave of Warner double packs are coming March 3rd. Preorder on Amazon is $13.99

Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle/Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay
Body Of Lies/Three Kings
Under Siege 1 & 2
True Romance/Natural Born Killers
Dumb & Dumber/The Mask

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sporadic posted:

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World preorder is up at Amazon. $13.99 - February 7th.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006GPANVO

While this is the shorter cut, it's a remaster directly from the 65mm negative and looks fantastic. Plus, it fixes color timing and framing issues present on the DVD, as well as re-instates the original overture and intermission.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
They are doing lightning deals today.

(scroll about halfway down)
http://www.amazon.com/b?_encoding=U...creative=390957

In three hours (from the time of this post 8:23PM EST), they are doing South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. It is already $8.99 so I wouldn't be surprised if it sub $5. Almost worth that price alone for the new commentary. It's a frustrating mess (for them) where they try to remember details and continually stop and pull other voice actors/writers in from the studio. If I remember right, they said that they recorded it over a week period.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 8, 2011

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Sporadic posted:

They are doing lightning deals today.

(scroll about halfway down)
http://www.amazon.com/b?_encoding=U...creative=390957

In three hours (from the time of this post 8:23PM EST), they are doing South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. It is already $8.99 so I wouldn't be surprised if it sub $5. Almost worth that price alone for the new commentary. It's a frustrating mess (for them) where they try to remember details and continually stop and pull other voice actors/writers in from the studio. If I remember right, they said that they recorded it over a week period.
More commentary tracks should do what they do in that one, which is talking to people--Bill Hader, in this case--who weren't involved in the film's production at all in for their own stories about seeing the film years before. Do any other commentary tracks do that at all?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Doctor Candiru posted:

More commentary tracks should do what they do in that one, which is talking to people--Bill Hader, in this case--who weren't involved in the film's production at all in for their own stories about seeing the film years before. Do any other commentary tracks do that at all?

I can't think of a modern one.

And the price on it only dropped $1 :( What a lame deal.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

Doctor Candiru posted:

Spaced does this with Kevin Smith, Patton Oswalt, Quentin Taratinto, Matt Stone, Diablo Cody, and Bill Hader.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Saturniid19 posted:

Spaced does this with Kevin Smith, Patton Oswalt, Quentin Taratinto, Matt Stone, Diablo Cody, and Bill Hader.

Hot Fuzz has a commentary with Tarantino as well.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jay Dub posted:

Hot Fuzz has a commentary with Tarantino as well.
It's not good! Mostly just a long-rear end bullet list of movies they've seen.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

fenix down posted:

It's not good! Mostly just a long-rear end bullet list of movies they've seen.

Ah. I've never actually listened to it. That's good to know, then.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I was worried that Kino's trio of "Selznick Estate" releases - A Farewell to Arms, Nothing Sacred, and A Star is Born - would be mediocre grabs at the films' public domain status, but the first looks amazing:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews55/a_farewell_to_arms_blu-ray.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

I can't think of a modern one.

And the price on it only dropped $1 :( What a lame deal.

Both versions of Dark City have commentary tracks by Roger Ebert.

• Locked thread