Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest

Shroomie posted:

The new Facebook update is live in the Market. It's a pretty nice upgrade.

It looks way better than the old app. But why does Facebook have this deep rooted hate for listing updates in reverse chronological order instead of posts their "Top News" order? Was Mark Zuckerberg traumatized as a kid from having to always be first in class to give the report in class or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Maybe his teachers went in reverse alphabetical. :downsrim:

\/\/\/\/ Have your cell divert to your GV number. It's all about dominoes.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 8, 2011

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Penguissimo posted:

Good call, I totally overlooked the landline part of his post.

The problem here of course is that many of my contacts don't call me via my google voice number, they use my normal cell number. My landline doesn't help me there.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Mistikman posted:

The problem here of course is that many of my contacts don't call me via my google voice number, they use my normal cell number. My landline doesn't help me there.

No answer/busy call forwarding. Look it up for your carrier. Should be pretty easy to set up with just a key combo. forward it to Gvoice to call your home phone and then take a message if you don't answer there either.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

err posted:

Anyone use Android's bill to carrier feature? Are there any fees or is it as simple as seeing it billed to my monthly statement?
I use it all the time on Sprint and there's no fees, it just shows up on my next bill.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I'm having a weird error that I can't seem to find the exact solution for on Google, and I figure one of you guys might know the answer.

The past week or so I've been having certain apps tell me that I don't have enough space available when I try to install or update them, and the ones that fail to update seemingly uninstall themselves after a reboot of the phone. Fairly essential apps like GO SMS and Folder Organizer have been the main culprits, but a few others have done it too. The vexing part is that I have over 145 megabytes free on my phone's internal memory. I've tried installing different ROMs (I'm on the newest nightly build of CM7 for my device, an HTC Evo Shift, though I doubt it's the ROM anyway since it hasn't been updated in a few weeks), clearing data for the market, clearing my main and my dalvik cache, and all kinds of things but to no avail. The weird part is that apps larger than those seem to install just fine, it didn't complain about the 25 MB game I just installed. Any ideas on how to fix it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gucci mangosteen posted:

I'm having a weird error that I can't seem to find the exact solution for on Google, and I figure one of you guys might know the answer.

The past week or so I've been having certain apps tell me that I don't have enough space available when I try to install or update them, and the ones that fail to update seemingly uninstall themselves after a reboot of the phone. Fairly essential apps like GO SMS and Folder Organizer have been the main culprits, but a few others have done it too. The vexing part is that I have over 145 megabytes free on my phone's internal memory. I've tried installing different ROMs (I'm on the newest nightly build of CM7 for my device, an HTC Evo Shift, though I doubt it's the ROM anyway since it hasn't been updated in a few weeks), clearing data for the market, clearing my main and my dalvik cache, and all kinds of things but to no avail. The weird part is that apps larger than those seem to install just fine, it didn't complain about the 25 MB game I just installed. Any ideas on how to fix it?
Maybe uninstall and reinstall the offending apps?

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

Shroomie posted:

The new Facebook update is live in the Market. It's a pretty nice upgrade.

Am I blind or did the straight up remove the ability to tag ANYONE in ANY picture? Before you could at least choose to upload a picture (instead of updating your "Status") and you would be given the option of tagging people in the process. Now it just goes to the same "Write Post" interface as a regular status update with no option for tagging in the picture (you can only tag people in the post itself).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Jobarr posted:

Am I blind or did the straight up remove the ability to tag ANYONE in ANY picture? Before you could at least choose to upload a picture (instead of updating your "Status") and you would be given the option of tagging people in the process. Now it just goes to the same "Write Post" interface as a regular status update with no option for tagging in the picture (you can only tag people in the post itself).

I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it completely. I can't seem to find a way to do it.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Magwai posted:

It looks way better than the old app. But why does Facebook have this deep rooted hate for listing updates in reverse chronological order instead of posts their "Top News" order? Was Mark Zuckerberg traumatized as a kid from having to always be first in class to give the report in class or something?

Post priority for posts with the right key words. If it isn't already happening, I'm sure it's in the works.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

Skeezy posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it completely. I can't seem to find a way to do it.

While the rest does seem nicer (and it does seem like notification are working better), this is just inexcusably retarded. Yay! We can view tags but can't make any!

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Maybe uninstall and reinstall the offending apps?

That's sort of the crux of the issue, the apps uninstall themselves and don't let me reinstall them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gucci mangosteen posted:

That's sort of the crux of the issue, the apps uninstall themselves and don't let me reinstall them.
Are any of the offending ones on SD? I'm guessing not but worth a try.

How are you putting them back? Titanium?

Are you running some kind of a2sd solution? If not, maybe try?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
New 10 cent Apps/Games spotted:

ADWLauncher EX

Homerun Battle 3D

Talking Tom Cat 2

Reckless Getaway

Can Knockdown 2

TETRIS ®

Blue Skies Donation Wallpaper

Space Physics

Kids Learn to Read (Preschool)

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 8, 2011

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007
I'm going through the market and I found a few apps listed at $0.10 in preparation for later today I'm guessing:

ADWLauncher EX
Homerun Battle 3D
Talking Tom Cat 2
TETRIS
Reckless Getaway
Can Knockdown 2
Blue Skies Donation Wallpaper

(can't find the last three)

Edit: ^^^ Dammit! Was totally beaten within the few minutes of compiling this list on my phone.

AlexMoron fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 8, 2011

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Reckless getaway is good, I recommend it.

Wtfedit: tetris is not compatible with my device - I demand to know why?!

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 8, 2011

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Cakefool posted:

Wtfedit: tetris is not compatible with my device - I demand to know why?!

If youre outside of the US you need a different tetris, look for one made by EA Nederland, that one worked for me.

EDIT: ADW Launcher Ex is pretty cool, much more responsive than the regular ADW Launcher ive been using as part of the cm7.1 mod on my device until now.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 8, 2011

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Are any of the offending ones on SD? I'm guessing not but worth a try.

How are you putting them back? Titanium?

Are you running some kind of a2sd solution? If not, maybe try?

I was trying first to just reinstall them and then Titanium, neither of which worked.

I used CM7's option to install to SD, which lets me install stuff again, but some of the programs that were affected launch at boot and really don't like being on the SD card. Oh well, maybe I'll try yet another backup/hard reset. I've pared the time they take down to around an hour so far.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Does ADW EX come with a widget set like LauncherPro+? Like, calendar, contacts, social feed, etc.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Living Vicariously posted:

Does ADW EX come with a widget set like LauncherPro+? Like, calendar, contacts, social feed, etc.

No, unfortunately not. You could either try Go Launcher EX (which has it's own suite of skin-able apps (free), or if you want to use ADW, you can always use Android Pro Widgets (free, but allowing skinning costs a little - it uses LP+ widget skins).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gucci mangosteen posted:

I was trying first to just reinstall them and then Titanium, neither of which worked.

I used CM7's option to install to SD, which lets me install stuff again, but some of the programs that were affected launch at boot and really don't like being on the SD card. Oh well, maybe I'll try yet another backup/hard reset. I've pared the time they take down to around an hour so far.

By a2sd I meant Simple2EXT more than just the force to SD option in CM7. At least then you'd know if it's space related.

Still going through different ROMs makes no sense.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Am I missing something, or is there no way to make the app drawer in ADW Launcher scroll vertically?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

SpacePig posted:

Am I missing something, or is there no way to make the app drawer in ADW Launcher scroll vertically?

There is. Go into ADW Settings -> UI Settings -> App Drawer Settings -> App Drawer Style

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

There is. Go into ADW Settings -> UI Settings -> App Drawer Settings -> App Drawer Style

:downs: I kept checking in "Main Dock" for some loving reason. I think I need some coffee or something.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Went back to ADW since the EX version was $0.10, but it seems to have changed a lot since I used it last and I can't seem to get the bottom dockbar to act like I want.

The way I want to set it up is to have 2 dockbars. One with just 5 icons that doesn't scroll, and a second that temporarily replaces it by swiping up/down that scrolls left to right. But it looks like this functionality has been replaced with just the scrollable dockbar.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Silly question - is there any easy way to import my homescreen layout and setting from ADW to ADW EX?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Does the free version have backup and restore options in ADW Settings? I think that might be your best bet.

I keep feeling super retarded trying to setup ADW. Is there a way to reduce the number of home screens? I really only need 3, but I can't seem to reduce it from 5. Please help.

e: Found it! It's the edit option in the menu.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 8, 2011

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm perpetually low on space on my OG Droid. Are Google Goggles and Google Music system apps that can't be messed with, or is it safe to back them up with Titanium Backup and then nuke them?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'm perpetually low on space on my OG Droid. Are Google Goggles and Google Music system apps that can't be messed with, or is it safe to back them up with Titanium Backup and then nuke them?

You shouldn't need to use anything special for Goggles, it should just be a regular app that you can install/uninstall.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Deleting system apps (like Music) won't get you extra space.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Huh. Decided to take a chance on ADW EX, and I have to say it's just about up there with LPP in terms of smoothness. It has all of LPP's features and then some. The only thing it lacks is native widgets like LPP has. Think I'm gonna' stick with this unless Fede actually releases his magical LPP rewrite and it does something extra incredible.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Living Vicariously posted:

Huh. Decided to take a chance on ADW EX, and I have to say it's just about up there with LPP in terms of smoothness. It has all of LPP's features and then some. The only thing it lacks is native widgets like LPP has. Think I'm gonna' stick with this unless Fede actually releases his magical LPP rewrite and it does something extra incredible.

I highly recommend GoLauncher EX, it duplicates LPP function for function (pretty sure they can match widgets if you grab those off the market). Except they added iOS-style folders and several other little enhancements. It's pretty much what LPP might be if Fede was still actually updating it. And it gets fairly regular updates.

It's really fast with one exception, some of the transition animations aren't very smooth depending on what widgets you have. If the animation requires it to "break" up a widget in some way to make it transition like icons would it can get a little choppy. Completely avoidable if you leave the stock sliding animation between screens and don't use the 3D transitions.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is there any way to get rid of this stupid permissions pop-up that comes up every effing time I send/open a text message in handcent? its really loving annoying.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Are you using LBE or something?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Twitter app just updated to 3.0, looks like a decent UI overhaul.

Details here: http://support.twitter.com/articles/168312-android-release-notes

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

rotaryfun posted:

Are you using LBE or something?

Superuser permissions has it accepted, but I still get the little popups, Running cyanogen mod on Droid Incredible.

its basically everytime I get a message send a message, a little popup says "handcent.sms. blabbity bla bla bla bla superuser accepted"

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Doctor Butts posted:

Superuser permissions has it accepted, but I still get the little popups, Running cyanogen mod on Droid Incredible.

its basically everytime I get a message send a message, a little popup says "handcent.sms. blabbity bla bla bla bla superuser accepted"

Those are popped up by superuser.apk. I don't use handcent. Why does it need superuser permissions?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Those are popped up by superuser.apk. I don't use handcent. Why does it need superuser permissions?

I never had it ask me when I used it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

LastInLine posted:

Deleting system apps (like Music) won't get you extra space.

Confusingly enough, Music and Google Music are not the same app. Music is the default player in /system/app and deleting it won't save you any space. Google Music talks to your cloud music account, is a normal Market app, and will save you a mild amount of space if deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Confusingly enough, Music and Google Music are not the same app. Music is the default player in /system/app and deleting it won't save you any space. Google Music talks to your cloud music account, is a normal Market app, and will save you a mild amount of space if deleted.

Google Music does seem to live in /system/app, which makes me nervous. Thanks for the waste of space, Google!

• Locked thread