Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So I was discussing Action Comics and Ultimate Spider-man with a friend and we kind of broached the subject of "what if they made Superman black or otherwise non-white in this reboot". I'm not saying they should've done that, but the in-story reasons for why it wouldn't work are pretty much non-existent since he's an alien from a planet that I assume isn't populated entirely by white people, and is adopted to boot. The only real argument against it is that it would mess with his iconic look, but there's something to be said for the idea of making the premiere superhero who is also the best superhero that everyone looks up to something other than a square-jawed blue eyed white boy.

Anyway it's just a thought that came up. I know if DC had actually done this a bunch of "not-racist" people would have completely flipped their poo poo and boycotted DC, not to mention Fox News and friends running away with it as "the PC police corrupting youth media" but as I said it'd be really hard to explain how anything that makes Superman work would be lost if he didn't just happen to look like a white guy.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm still looking for clues as to the next giant megaplot Morrison's got up his sleeve. I can't find any....

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Only clues I know of were dropped in Doogz interview with Grant.

The Legion of Super Heroes and black president Superman will be involved in Action Comics.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I'm pretty sure the small dude in the first few pgaes of Action Comics #1 is Mxyzptlk, who's the villain of his megaplot. In my interview he said the book was going to be about examining Superman's life from outside time, a "fifth-dimensional perspective," so I kind of clued in to a possible Mxy connection immediately. With Fernil Nyxly as Clark Kent's landlord and the fact that the little guy was like the second character in the designs at the back of Action Comics #2 and described as just "that guy in the elevator" or whatever, I'm fairly confident he's the villain of the piece and is actually Mxyzptlk. I forget where, but Morrison said that we'd already seen the big villain of his arc in #1, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't Guns Grundig.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Did anyone actually read the bonus material at the end of Action? Specifically the interview with Perez, where he mentions that Clark, Superman and Lois actually have no romantic feelings for each other whatsoever, that the spark between them has never even existed and that they just want to be platonic friends?

I really don't like that.

I dropped Spiderman once they nuked Peter's marriage, but this is almost worse in a way.

I guess we finally have the chance to see how a Superman/Wonder Woman romance may work out now.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Goon posted:

Did anyone actually read the bonus material at the end of Action? Specifically the interview with Perez, where he mentions that Clark, Superman and Lois actually have no romantic feelings for each other whatsoever, that the spark between them has never even existed and that they just want to be platonic friends?
It was a weirdly worded blurb, because the statement "Lois just wants to be Clark's friend" could be taken as-is, given that Clark clearly showed he was bummed/jealous overhearing her talk to her boyfriend at the end of Superman 1. Until I see anything contrary in the comics, it seems like the new status quo is "Lois isn't chasing Superman around lovestruck, Superman has better things to do than date her in costume, Lois thinks of Clark as a friend, and Clark holds back feelings about Lois."

Given how fast writers tend to run out of ideas when they completely split up power couples, I'm willing to bet we'll at least be back to "both have hidden feelings for each other/will-they-wont-they" within a few years. Even faster if sales drop off and DC thinks they can keep readers hooked with romantic tension. Plus, different writers will probably want to do different things with the character. Morrison clearly has his own storylines happening, but it doesn't seem like he's necessarily being given architectual control over the mythos and what occurs in the other books.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Lurdiak posted:

Stuff about a black Superman
They would make him into a different character, that isn't quite Superman. The whole point of making superman black would be to add diversity, and simply changing his skin color is a pointless change. They would want to make him being African American a major defining aspect, much more so than if they had just made a new character who was similar to Superman. Its stupid to change a character just so one can claim to be more diverse. I think making Superman black would be just as stupid as making John Stewart into an Asian, because of a lack of Asian superheroes. Want a new character? Make a new character and don't simply modify an existing one to meet your needs.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
Maybe a stupid question, or maybe even one that's been addressed already, but I had a question about Superman's new armored costume. In several panels in Superman #1 and #2 (even once in Swamp Thing #1), we see Clark in a buttoned shirt with his sleeves rolled up, or with the top few buttons on his shirt undone. My immediate thought was that he can't be hiding his costume under there because (I assume) metal sleeves wouldn't roll up very well. Also his new collar would be visible under the shirt.

So my question is: have they done away with the iconic "shirt ripping open to reveal the Superman logo" aspect, and instead have him changing into his costume each time? Maybe he has some sort of device that lets him suddenly have a costume on like GL or the Flash's ring?

An example of what I'm talking about from an upcoming Superman:

We don't actually see how he changes. To me, it just seems unlikely that a metal costume would be under that, but maybe I'm just overanalyzing.

I'm not complaining about the new costume, I think it's been working well so far, especially in Justice League. I'm just wondering if they changed the way Clark changes into Superman.

As for Action #3, I liked it alot. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out, especially learning more about how Brainiac and Myx are involved.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe Kryptonian battle armor is really flexible?

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
lol maybe.

Like I said, might be a stupid question...trying to put logic into a comic about an alien god.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

horsepeen posted:

We don't actually see how he changes. To me, it just seems unlikely that a metal costume would be under that, but maybe I'm just overanalyzing.
Retractable sleeves.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Superman #2 was much better than #1. Clark wasn't an unlikeable sad sack, Lois wasn't portrayed negatively, and the villain wasn't boring.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Favorite part of Action #3, unquestionably, was Clark addressing the cops tossing his apartment. "I'm not MAD - I'm just disappointed. You could do so much more with your time, is this really why you became police?" There are many kinds of badass.

I would love it if Morrison took over the other book took, taking strong control of the character's past and future. But I'm drat happy with having just the one great Superman book (I haven't read the other one.)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

d00gZ posted:

I'm pretty sure the small dude in the first few pgaes of Action Comics #1 is Mxyzptlk, who's the villain of his megaplot. In my interview he said the book was going to be about examining Superman's life from outside time, a "fifth-dimensional perspective," so I kind of clued in to a possible Mxy connection immediately. With Fernil Nyxly as Clark Kent's landlord and the fact that the little guy was like the second character in the designs at the back of Action Comics #2 and described as just "that guy in the elevator" or whatever, I'm fairly confident he's the villain of the piece and is actually Mxyzptlk. I forget where, but Morrison said that we'd already seen the big villain of his arc in #1, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't Guns Grundig.

Here's something that was bothering me about that guy - why was he holding Glenmorgan's tie when he was leaving the building in #1? I thought that might be a clue to his identity or plan.

And am I the only one who thinks Clark's source is Luthor? After all, Lex would know Clark would be idealistic enough to keep after Glenmorgan, and it's a way for him to manipulate someone else to take down his competition. Using a classical reference as his code word for Glenmorgan is another classic Luthor touch. Unless this is all completely obvious to everyone, I thought it was a strong possibility.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Liberal Idiot posted:

And am I the only one who thinks Clark's source is Luthor? After all, Lex would know Clark would be idealistic enough to keep after Glenmorgan, and it's a way for him to manipulate someone else to take down his competition. Using a classical reference as his code word for Glenmorgan is another classic Luthor touch. Unless this is all completely obvious to everyone, I thought it was a strong possibility.

I was wondering about that. Lex Luthor using Clark to secure himself in Metropolis would be pretty good twist and a nice way to intertwine those characters (it always adds to them when they pull that kind of stuff off).

Also, its a simple thing but a detail like Clark's dufflebag having the Smallville Crows logo from Smallville is a nice touch.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Would he really care all that much though? At the end of the day, he's still taking down a very bad corrupt rear end in a top hat.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

horsepeen posted:

I'm not complaining about the new costume, I think it's been working well so far, especially in Justice League. I'm just wondering if they changed the way Clark changes into Superman.

As for Action #3, I liked it alot. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out, especially learning more about how Brainiac and Myx are involved.

I read an interview somewhere that said Superman carries around something called a "Power Morpher" now.

(no I didn't)

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I still liked Action Comics #4, but felt it was a bit of a dip from the prior 3 - big long fight scene will do that though.

Lovin' the new design for Brainiac - he looks like the appendix to something much bigger than himself. A friend had a theory that Brainiac doesn't have a shrink ray - he is just THIS drat huge. I don't think it'll hold up, but it's a fun thought.

Anyone else get a copy where Superman was wearing a white shirt all the way throughout? I thought that was... odd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

Anyone else get a copy where Superman was wearing a white shirt all the way throughout? I thought that was... odd.

Yeah, talk about a major coloring gently caress-up. The entire "working Superman" costume design rests on the iconic blue shirt, and you go and mess that up?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Magic Love Hose posted:

Are there any copies that don't have the white? I think it could have been intended, unless the colorist completely dropped the ball in both the main feature AND backup. I figured since his blue shirt had been torn to hell so much he didn't have time to sew it all up and just had a backup shirt. Also his costume still looked fantastic even with the white shirt. It's such a shame he's going to get the kryptonian suit he has in the present, I would love it if he kept the jeans and t-shirt forever.

I was thrown for a loop when I saw the last page say "Continued in Action Comics #7". I knew that Kubert was going to join Morrison for a couple issues, but I didn't think it'd mean the main story would get the brakes thrown on it. I wonder how it'll all fit together, given that it's already taking place in the past, and the solicits say that the issues will feature the Legion of Super Heroes. Maybe some kind of flash-forward?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So, who else thinks Steel's outfit is kinda dumb looking? I get that since it's his debut, and since Action takes place years before the "present", that when he next appears he'll probably look different, but reading the issue I couldn't help but look at his Cyborg-esque half helmet and think "Why the gently caress aren't you covering your head, Irons?"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is that myth Steel kept referring to well known? I had to look it up.
It seemed to assume you'd already have culturally ingrained knowledge of this steel driver guy, but I guess the story never really left the states.

edit: in the Comixology version I read the shirt looks blue sometimes

but then, not

ee: Here's a screenshot Comicvine had.

Which definitely makes it look like there's been a partial correction in the digital comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 8, 2011

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm in Canada and we learned all about him. It's a pretty powerful black story.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Teenage Fansub posted:

It seemed to assume you'd already have culturally ingrained knowledge of this steel driver guy, but I guess the story never really left the states.

We definitely have culturally ingrained knowledge of John Henry in the states. It's safe to assume just about anyone reading it in America (or Canada, apparently) would understand the reference.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sefer posted:

We definitely have culturally ingrained knowledge of John Henry in the states. It's safe to assume just about anyone reading it in America (or Canada, apparently) would understand the reference.

I can't believe I never made the John Henry/Steel connection before reading that issue. Even just being peripherally aware of the character should have been like "doy", it's about as subtle as the Hate Monger's purple KKK outfit, or the Hank Henshaw/Reed Richards parallel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: in the Comixology version I read the shirt looks blue sometimes

but then, not

ee: Here's a screenshot Comicvine had.

Which definitely makes it look like there's been a partial correction in the digital comic.

That seriously makes him look like that older TAS-era Supergirl design.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
You know, I kind of like that color on him.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Semper Fudge posted:

You know, I kind of like that color on him.

I actually do too - I just thought it was odd that he switches to this shirt with no real explanation. If they were going to radically redo Superman's costume, white would be a great sub for blue (though he'd just look like Good Plutonian, at this stage.)

I'm not American but I've heard the legend of John Henry before, and I really do like Steel - or more precisely I like the idea of Steel, as a man who is inspired by Superman, but not to the point that he's a knockoff of Superman. He sort of puts the lie to the notion that no one could really be inspired by Superman because Superman's heroics come from his inborne power - Steel doesn't have any powers asides from being comic-book-smart.

But asides from 52 I've never read a Steel story that really gripped me, though if they're going to make him this prominent going in that might change. Does anyone have any recommendations?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Magic Love Hose posted:

But asides from 52 I've never read a Steel story that really gripped me, though if they're going to make him this prominent going in that might change. Does anyone have any recommendations?
DC: The New Frontier is the best thing I can think of, even though it's not really what you're looking for.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've just never shaken the impression that he's Black Tony Stark.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He's black Iron Man, but personality wise he couldn't be more different than Tony Stark.

Anybody else feel like Action Comics would make a great screenplay for a Superman movie?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Magic Love Hose posted:

I still liked Action Comics #4, but felt it was a bit of a dip from the prior 3 - big long fight scene will do that though.

Lovin' the new design for Brainiac - he looks like the appendix to something much bigger than himself. A friend had a theory that Brainiac doesn't have a shrink ray - he is just THIS drat huge. I don't think it'll hold up, but it's a fun thought.

Nah, when collecting stuff there's a line about "commence dwarf star lensing" which is how Ray Palmer's shrink stuff works.

As for Steel's weird half-helmet he seems to ditch it by the end of the issue so hopefully its completely gone.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's reaching, but maybe the white shirt is a reference to his suit at the end of All-Star? They're both Morrison books.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I think the white shirt just shows that it's not about the colors, but the symbol. He might wear a red shirt or a green shirt before he decides the official look for Superman.

Can't wait for the interlude. I bet this is all the Superbama and Legion of Super Heroes stuff Grant teased Doogz with.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

I think the white shirt just shows that it's not about the colors, but the symbol. He might wear a red shirt or a green shirt before he decides the official look for Superman.

Yeah, I like the notion that Clark might just have a closet-full of different (cheap) tshirts with the symbol ironed on. It adds to this current look.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Yannick_B posted:

Yeah, I like the notion that Clark might just have a closet-full of different (cheap) tshirts with the symbol ironed on. It adds to this current look.

I do too, but it makes even more sense if he made the first one, and once the media circus took hold, from then on Clark bought licensed t-shirts with his symbol on it.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Today I realize that Metal-Zero is also spelled "Metal-0."

It took me nearly a week. I'm a moron.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Magic Love Hose posted:

Today I realize that Metal-Zero is also spelled "Metal-0."

It took me nearly a week. I'm a moron.
Better start building the moron clubhouse, because I'm in the club too. Wow.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

gently caress. That's almost Weapon X = Weapon 10 poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Dobalina
Jul 16, 2005

Oh Superman..
Completely missed Metal-0, derp. Permission to enter the clubhouse.

• Locked thread