Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

OneDeadlyBum posted:

Does having access to the computer that performed the update at all affect a possible downgrade, or will I have to do a tethered jailbreak / wait like everybody else?
No, yes. But semitether makes it no so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
So has anyone tried the new Siri port from cd-team? Apparently it has some bugs, such as disabling video recording, and it also has connectivity issues sporadically, but when it connects it "just works", according to other people who have tried it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Crossposted from the iphone thread.

I have a jailbroken 3GS on 5.0.1. I don't think the jailbreak is the problem because I've been syncing my phone jailbroken almost daily for weeks now with no issues.

However, I updated several apps on itunes and synced my phone. The sync gets to the point where it installs the new version of one of my apps and then resprings, interrupting the sync. This has left me with 8 or 9 apps on my phone that are stuck in the "Waiting" phase with a progress bar as if I'm downloading them again. One of them even starts to progress in the progress bar but then my phone will respring again. It doesn't crash to safe mode, it just restarts springboard with very choppy performance and eventually resprings again. All of the other apps seem to function except the ones stuck on waiting.

I've tried:
restarting my phone and computer,
removing several JB apps that I've installed this weekend,
rebooting with redsn0w tethered,
uninstalling itunes and installing a previous version (didn't work because my library file is newer),
reinstalling itunes,
restarting my computer again,
wifi sync instead of corded sync,
syncing on a different computer with the same version of itunes and the same library file (it's networked).

Nothing has worked and I can't find an online solution that matches my case at all. Is it restore time?

As far as I can tell I haven't done anything to it in the past 24-48 hours that would cause this problem.

I'll crosspost this to the jailbreak thread as well.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

bobfather posted:

So has anyone tried the new Siri port from cd-team? Apparently it has some bugs, such as disabling video recording, and it also has connectivity issues sporadically, but when it connects it "just works", according to other people who have tried it.

I've been following this today and I get a strong feeling that these guys are just acting as proxy for Siri, utilizing a single iPhone 4[S]'s authentication token to authenticate all of the requests with Apple. We all knew this was possible to do, but we also knew Apple would find out sooner or later based on the gross amount of incoming connections for that single iPhone and then black list that 4[S]'s authentication token, thus banning everyone. I base this on the fact that apparently it's broken now, and....how else could they make Siri work? The bastards are charging for this in Cydia, too.

It's sad though, I really want Siri. I've been using my iPhone 4's voice control feature lately, and it's so, so bad. Being able to reliably control my iPhone without taking my gloves off in the cold weather that has already arrived here in the Great White North would be divine.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
Has anyone else had any problems with iOS 5 crashing into safe mode when they get a new text message? It happens on both mine and my wife's phones.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

heel turn posted:

Has anyone else had any problems with iOS 5 crashing into safe mode when they get a new text message? It happens on both mine and my wife's phones.

I remember this but it's been a while - I think upgrading biteSMS was the solution, but it may have been another issue.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Anyone with an iPod touch that works on jailbreakme.com get an image that has a picture of Steve Jobs and says "Thank you, Steve jobs" and does nothing else?

Edit: Guess I should have checked Google first. Looks like it doesn't work anymore.

Edit2: I've been trying with no luck for the past two hours. Any suggestions for a program I can use to jailbreak 4.3?

huhu fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 5, 2011

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

huhu posted:

Anyone with an iPod touch that works on jailbreakme.com get an image that has a picture of Steve Jobs and says "Thank you, Steve jobs" and does nothing else?

Edit: Guess I should have checked Google first. Looks like it doesn't work anymore.

Edit2: I've been trying with no luck for the past two hours. Any suggestions for a program I can use to jailbreak 4.3?

Go to jailbreakmatrix. Snowbreeze or redsnow by the looks of it.

Has anybody else had trouble with their proxy sensor on the iphone 4? When I cover it it blanks the screen as normal but it will not come back on afterwards unless I hit a button.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
Has anyone with the 5.0.x sn0wbreeze jailbreak tried this new version of iBooks yet?

I don't really feel like being the guinea pig.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ezrem posted:

Has anyone with the 5.0.x sn0wbreeze jailbreak tried this new version of iBooks yet?

I don't really feel like being the guinea pig.

It doesn't crash on startup now but it does say there is a "problem with your iPhone" and to reinstall iBooks and sync.

Hopefully a real fix will be out soon.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Djarum posted:

It doesn't crash on startup now but it does say there is a "problem with your iPhone" and to reinstall iBooks and sync.

I did the iBooks fix that involves copying the app and changing plist settings but I'm guessing I should just hold off on upgrading the app at this point?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Djarum posted:

That's with sn0wbreeze? That's what I had happen with redsn0w.

I switched to sn0wbreeze and I don't have crashes right now at all. Everything just works.

[Edit] And that includes iBooks 1.5. It just works. I used sn0wbreeze 2.8b10 when I did my jailbreak. [/Edit]

Ezrem fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 7, 2011

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ezrem posted:

That's with sn0wbreeze? That's what I had happen with redsn0w.

I switched to sn0wbreeze and I don't have crashes right now at all. Everything just works.

[Edit] And that includes iBooks 1.5. It just works. I used sn0wbreeze 2.8b10 when I did my jailbreak. [/Edit]

Yup sn0wbreeze here. Ended up having to use it since redsn0w wouldn't work for whatever reason.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there an app or tweak that will let you scroll one screen past where you have any app icons, so it's just a blank wallpaper + your status bar and dock? I want to be able to get at the springboard icons but not always have them up.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Javid posted:

Is there an app or tweak that will let you scroll one screen past where you have any app icons, so it's just a blank wallpaper + your status bar and dock? I want to be able to get at the springboard icons but not always have them up.

Iconoclasm should do the job.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

adm posted:

Iconoclasm should do the job.

Does it let you have a five-column springboard? I already have a tweak for that, but it wants to uninstall it in order to have Iconoclasm.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
Sorry if this has been brought up at any point, but my old iPhone 3G (iOS version 4.2.1) likes to do this thing where it will randomly start running the iPod process in the background (which I can see in SBSettings) no matter how many times I end the process manually. This happens even if no applications are open and the phone has just been sitting there with only Phone and Mail running in the background as they always do.

Rebooting has made no difference and it's not worth restoring the phone over, so I guess my question is: is there an app on Cydia that I could use to prevent unwanted processes from starting themselves?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

bazaar apparatus posted:

Sorry if this has been brought up at any point, but my old iPhone 3G (iOS version 4.2.1) likes to do this thing where it will randomly start running the iPod process in the background (which I can see in SBSettings) no matter how many times I end the process manually. This happens even if no applications are open and the phone has just been sitting there with only Phone and Mail running in the background as they always do.

Rebooting has made no difference and it's not worth restoring the phone over, so I guess my question is: is there an app on Cydia that I could use to prevent unwanted processes from starting themselves?

I don't know of a fix, but I do know that is a pretty standard thing. I'd see iPod running every now and then on my 3GS. It *shouldn't* take up that much RAM.

You may be able to rename the app itself, which may stop it from auto-running, but still allow you to run it manually.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Javid posted:

Does it let you have a five-column springboard? I already have a tweak for that, but it wants to uninstall it in order to have Iconoclasm.
Yes Iconoclasm lets you do 5 column, or whatever by whatever. But I don't know that it will let you make an empty page of icons. I use gridlock for that.

I also use Infinidock to allow more than 4 items in the dock (and dock pages.)

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Javid posted:

You can do this with the first page of the springboard (just move them all to the second page and beyond), unless you mean you wanted a blank page somewhere else.
(edit: double checked it still worked)

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 8, 2011

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
Every since upgrading to 5.0.1 from 4.whatever, My Iphone4 has had AWFUL battery life. What used to last all day now lasts 5 hours, if that. I read about battery problems, but 5.0.1 is supposed to fix those.

I jailbroke it with redsnow. Does anyone have any evidence that the jailbreak is causing this? Has anyone had any better luck with snowbreeze?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Went to the Apple Store today and they had plenty of iPhone 4S's in stock. So frustrating to not be able to buy one since it's not jailbroken yet :(

All I really need the jailbreak for is the ability to make my phone a WiFi port, which lately has become a necessity. Besides that I could live without a jailbroken phone.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

theblackw0lf posted:

Went to the Apple Store today and they had plenty of iPhone 4S's in stock. So frustrating to not be able to buy one since it's not jailbroken yet :(

All I really need the jailbreak for is the ability to make my phone a WiFi port, which lately has become a necessity. Besides that I could live without a jailbroken phone.

You know, I get why you're holding off, but it may not be serving you best to do so.

We are pretty sure 4S will be Jailbroken at 5.0 or 5.01 or whatever. We also know that Apple is working on new firmware. Eventually that new firmware WILL make it into boxed 4S's on the shelf at Apple. We don't *know* that those will be Jailbreakable, but the smart money is on yes, they will too. However, it will push BACK the jailbreak on later firmwares.

So you have to ask yourself... buy an iPhone 4S now and wait for that "in process" jailbreak to release. Or wait it out and hope that this jailbreak comes out soon enough that you can buy an iPhone 4S from Apple that hasn't been bumped to like 5.02 or 5.03 or something which will then require you to wait even longer for a compatible jailbreak, etc etc.

Bottom line, if the iPhone 4S is perfect for you, but you just need the Jailbreak for one more feature, I'd buy now. No sense waiting.

If the iPhone 4S is useless to you without Jailbreak for that one feature, I'd really consider if the iPhone is the way to go at all...

Just my 2 cents, I suppose.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Feenix posted:

You know, I get why you're holding off, but it may not be serving you best to do so.

We are pretty sure 4S will be Jailbroken at 5.0 or 5.01 or whatever. We also know that Apple is working on new firmware. Eventually that new firmware WILL make it into boxed 4S's on the shelf at Apple. We don't *know* that those will be Jailbreakable, but the smart money is on yes, they will too. However, it will push BACK the jailbreak on later firmwares.

So you have to ask yourself... buy an iPhone 4S now and wait for that "in process" jailbreak to release. Or wait it out and hope that this jailbreak comes out soon enough that you can buy an iPhone 4S from Apple that hasn't been bumped to like 5.02 or 5.03 or something which will then require you to wait even longer for a compatible jailbreak, etc etc.

Bottom line, if the iPhone 4S is perfect for you, but you just need the Jailbreak for one more feature, I'd buy now. No sense waiting.

If the iPhone 4S is useless to you without Jailbreak for that one feature, I'd really consider if the iPhone is the way to go at all...

Just my 2 cents, I suppose.

True, I could just buy it now and not activate it until the jailbreak comes out, and just use my current iphone till then.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think you just risk putting yourself into an endless wait-loop. I mean it's already somewhat of a gamble that 5.0.1 will be jailbroken (but I think the prevailing wisdom is that it's likely.)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Feenix posted:

I think you just risk putting yourself into an endless wait-loop. I mean it's already somewhat of a gamble that 5.0.1 will be jailbroken (but I think the prevailing wisdom is that it's likely.)
I'm actually getting kind of tired of waiting. I love the hell out of my 4s, but I miss MyWi so much since I have a wifi only ipad2. I'm torn between just buying an ATT tethering plan (and losing my unlimited data plan, which would suck hard,) or waiting for a jailbreak / waiting for ipad3 and buying a 3G version of the pad3 so I can have data on it without needing a phone jailbreak or losing my phone unlimited data plan.

I literally have no other need for jailbreaking my 4s at this point (though there are some "nice to have" JB apps) and I'd happily pay for unlimited tethering, but that's just not an option. :(

I'm not even sure the ATT Tethering plan allows creating a wifi hotspot like mywi does. Is it just USB tethering (which is useless for an iPad) or a real hotspot? Does anyone know? It might even be worth it to buy a cheap hotspot device fom ATT or sprint or something so I can tether my iPad and keep my phone unlimited plan.

mewse
May 2, 2006

randyest posted:

Is it just USB tethering (which is useless for an iPad) or a real hotspot? Does anyone know?

iphone 4 and 4S call the feature "personal hotspot" and allow tethering via usb, bluetooth, or wifi

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

randyest posted:

I'm actually getting kind of tired of waiting. I love the hell out of my 4s, but I miss MyWi so much since I have a wifi only ipad2. I'm torn between just buying an ATT tethering plan (and losing my unlimited data plan, which would suck hard,) or waiting for a jailbreak / waiting for ipad3 and buying a 3G version of the pad3 so I can have data on it without needing a phone jailbreak or losing my phone unlimited data plan.

I literally have no other need for jailbreaking my 4s at this point (though there are some "nice to have" JB apps) and I'd happily pay for unlimited tethering, but that's just not an option. :(

I'm not even sure the ATT Tethering plan allows creating a wifi hotspot like mywi does. Is it just USB tethering (which is useless for an iPad) or a real hotspot? Does anyone know? It might even be worth it to buy a cheap hotspot device fom ATT or sprint or something so I can tether my iPad and keep my phone unlimited plan.

If you add ATT tethering you lose your unlimited data plan?

Well there goes that option.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
If I needed tethering, I would just buy a Verizon LTE mobile hotspot. It's in most major markets and significantly faster than 3G anyway.

I would never, ever buy tethering from AT&T.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

If you add ATT tethering you lose your unlimited data plan?

Well there goes that option.

Yeah, but you do get 4GB of data to use. I admit I hardly use more then 4GB, usually it's just right above the 2GB mark. So it does make it a tough choice.

I recently got the iTether app that showed up on the app store by mistake though and can use that to tether my laptop at least in emergencies.

But I bet I would really like having officially supported hotspot. I would just be mad every time my bill came in and I realized I was paying more for the privilege.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

maduin posted:

, I would just buy a Verizon LTE mobile hotspot.

Not unlimited and loving expensive too. I'll be with unlimited till they kick me out for it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mewse posted:

iphone 4 and 4S call the feature "personal hotspot" and allow tethering via usb, bluetooth, or wifi
Thanks; that's good to know. I think I'd rather wait for a JB or a 3G pad3 rather than lose my unlimited data plan.

maduin posted:

If I needed tethering, I would just buy a Verizon LTE mobile hotspot. It's in most major markets and significantly faster than 3G anyway.
I would never, ever buy tethering from AT&T.
Thanks; another thing to carry around but if the price is right it may be the solution I've been waiting for.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

I bought a Clear 4G "Apollo" hotspot. Works *great*. And less than $40 a month, unlimited.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Good news for iPhone 4 users: pod2g has a working untethered 5.0 jailbreak. He says it does work on 5.0.1, but he doesn't have a 4S or iPad 2, so he can't test that himself.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

PancakeTransmission posted:

You can do this with the first page of the springboard (just move them all to the second page and beyond), unless you mean you wanted a blank page somewhere else.
(edit: double checked it still worked)

I just tried this, but everything just jumped forward a page when I finished. :psyduck:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Javid posted:

I just tried this, but everything just jumped forward a page when I finished. :psyduck:
It only works on the very first page of the springboard. If it's still deleting that first blank page on you, then I'm not sure! It's definitely worked since before iOS5 but I have no idea otherwise.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Javid posted:

Have you tried re-arranging your icons in iTunes? [Click on your device in the sidebar, then the header "Apps".]

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Javid posted:

I use gridlock to allow blank pages / spaces between icons.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
Hey guys, I've been trying to rejailbreak my phone for the better part of an hour today cause I had to reboot it to install SBSettings, and I'm having no luck so far. Here's what I'm doing:

- Going into Redsn0w
- Manually specified the IPSW as the 5.0 ipsw for the iPhone 3GS (I did it without specifying and had no luck)
- Going to just boot, doing whatever it says, etc.

Generally it gets stuck on that circle loading thing. It loops for about 2 seconds then freezes

Any ideas? :confused:

FAKE EDIT: Also I'm on a Mac, and I have an iPhone 3GS, new bootrom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Valex posted:

Hey guys, I've been trying to rejailbreak my phone for the better part of an hour today cause I had to reboot it to install SBSettings, and I'm having no luck so far. Here's what I'm doing:

I had a jailbroken 3GS that got stuck in a boot loop. Easiest thing to do was just Restore in iTunes and then rejailbreak it. I tried doing all manner of things (using TinyUmbrella to try to kick it out did not work but try it if you haven't already) and had no success.

• Locked thread