Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lothire posted:

Deadpool has a lot of options but they aren't safe to spam, which puts the importance on the meta-game/mind game aspect. Knowing Captain America can't reach full screen with a shield or teleport opens up those guns totally, but Doom Beam tends to beat out most of my guns, things of that nature. I like to think someone with great experience could go real far with him, but I honestly don't know if it's worth it. Let's say you had great predictions and could make reads like nobody's business - would you really want to spend all that time on Deadpool to use that talent with, or someone like Wesker, who is capable of doing that level of damage and then some without even needing that level of awareness?

I love the guy to death, but the credentials for top tier as of right now stems greatly from being able to do your own thing without much regard to what your opponent is doing or trying to do. Getting in your opponents face and breaking their guard is easier than being defensive and trying to mount a response. Wade Wilson trades off such tactics in exchange for being able to do something no matter where he is on screen, while still doing considerable damage. I think my best BnB is about what Wolverines basic BnB is in terms of damage (well, close at least). It's just harder to get it started.

I've never committed to a Deadpool zoning team before, so this is cool to see. I would have trouble doing that without Shuma against Thor, as his Mighty Spark if timed right, should come out faster than a bullet would reach coming down from a jump. But this is why I like his gameplay. You can do this kind of thing and do well with the right team. I like to think you could set up a rush down kind of team that would make his long recovery times a bit safer.

Deadpool has great synergy with H-Ko and Phoenix Wright--invincible assists that cover the holes in his game and lets him transition from keepaway to attack and back at will. And with his Katana-Rama assist, he covers one of the biggest holes in THEIR game--namely, that they don't have an OTG.

I've considered replacing Dormammu with Deadpool on my Phoenix Wright/Dormammu/Doom team for this reason, but I'm still on the fence about Phoenix Wright. There has to be an easier, safer way to get three pieces of evidence with Nick, because trying to do it "normally" is suicide. Once you have three pieces and are in courtroom mode, there's no problem--he's a very viable character with good projectile options, decent combo damage (made better with an OTG) and the ability to pop off a turnabout at any time. Investigation mode is just torture, though. If only Maya Shield came out on top of him instead of in front...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Cinroth posted:

Assuming you are talking about green/gold bursts, gold bursts (burst while not in hitstun/blockstun) are +frame on block and lets you combo if they hit, so it's not purely defensive.

I don't know what you're talking about, but his description is spot on. I'm pretty sure you're thinking of something else. With Barrier Bursts, even if you COULD consistently combo off them, it seems like a terrible idea just because they're so useful as a defensive tool.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Uhh, he's completely right. Gold bursts in BB are advantage on block and cause a spinning knockdown that gives you a year and a half to confirm and combo off of.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

FighterKnuckles posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, but his description is spot on. I'm pretty sure you're thinking of something else. With Barrier Bursts, even if you COULD consistently combo off them, it seems like a terrible idea just because they're so useful as a defensive tool.

Uh no I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

Either way this is off-topic at this point.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Cinroth posted:

Uh no I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

Either way this is off-topic at this point.

Huh. Show's how much I know! :downs:

Well, back on the topic of Marvel, does anyone think for a player who isn't necessarily hardcore into playing the game consider buying Jill and/or Shuma worth it?

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

FighterKnuckles posted:

Well, back on the topic of Marvel, does anyone think for a player who isn't necessarily hardcore into playing the game consider buying Jill and/or Shuma worth it?

Kind of a silly question but the answer hinges completely on how badly you want to play them.

Neither is a crazy OP "I Win" choice that you will suffer for not having access to. Either of them is a viable choice to play on the right team.

If you really like how one or both of them look and think you would put them on your team then go for it! If you don't have a ton of interest in either of them then save your money!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Interesting fact shown off on the Spooky stream just now: Frank's Shopping Cart Hyper apparently out-invincibles L3s, as evidenced by Dr Strange's Astral Magic completely passing through it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Oh man. Wolverine/Ghost Rider BnB for 720k using 1 meter, 918k with the DHC. I think I love Ghost Rider now. Plus, you could give someone a high five in the time he has to hitconfirm s.H.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
Pretty sure that makes sense since Astral Magic is a projectile and shopping cart hyper is projectile invincible.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

:aaaaa: Chris G's Phoenix Wright and Morrigan combos. God. drat.

Mad props to Dieminion salting out Noel Brown as well.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Dren posted:

Oh man. Wolverine/Ghost Rider BnB for 720k using 1 meter, 918k with the DHC. I think I love Ghost Rider now. Plus, you could give someone a high five in the time he has to hitconfirm s.H.

Mind posting your combo? My main BnB uses Nova centurion rush assist. H, H, srk+L, H, H+Assist, qcb+L, H, H, qcb+L, qcf+L, qcf+MH. Does a little over 700k when fully mashed out.

I too have fallen in love with Ghost Rider because of X-Factor canceling guardstun into Penance Stare, followed by the combo above.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bosushi! posted:

Mind posting your combo? My main BnB uses Nova centurion rush assist. H, H, srk+L, H, H+Assist, qcb+L, H, H, qcb+L, qcf+L, qcf+MH. Does a little over 700k when fully mashed out.

I too have fallen in love with Ghost Rider because of X-Factor canceling guardstun into Penance Stare, followed by the combo above.

It's a Wolverine on point combo but sure:

LMHS MMH S+atk d+H HS MMHS dash+A1 df+M Berserker Barrage ? (fully mashed) qcb+LM
If you're in the corner you do a fully mashed Berserker Barrage L. If you're fullscreen you dash and do a fully mashed Berserker Barrage H. Uses Ghost Rider chain of rebuttal assist. There is a bit of timing to hitting the Berserker Barrage L in the corner but it comes pretty easily with practice.

If you want you can DHC to Hellfire Maelstrom (the qcf super). Do it after they've fallen out of Fatal Claw and are close to the ground in order to get the most hits out of Hellfire Maelstrom. If you do it early they'll just bounce around on top of it.

edit: forgot the df+M otg

Dren fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 8, 2011

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Archenteron posted:

Interesting fact shown off on the Spooky stream just now: Frank's Shopping Cart Hyper apparently out-invincibles L3s, as evidenced by Dr Strange's Astral Magic completely passing through it.

Does it matter what level he is?

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Ferroque posted:

Does it matter what level he is?

The shopping cart hyper nullifies projectiles and beams at any level. Tools of Survival gets invincible startup at level 3 and higher.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
Okay, I have a team worked out in my head that utilizes three characters I like rather than having two I like and one guy in there as a just in case. Frank/Cart, Wright/Press, and Deadpool/Trigger Happy. I can do a decent Frank combo that can get me to level 3 at least without using any meter, so long as I have an assist that holds them in the air long enough for me to keep a combo going after an OTG Snapshot. If I manage to get him to L3, I can swap in Wright, who now has both the shopping cart assist and Trigger Happy to keep him safe, then just deal with his bullshit for awhile, and once I get to Turnabout mode I can either run with it or swap Frank/Deadpool in and enjoy having his assist to go along with I guess Frank's zombie attacks to get in? It's making less sense as I explain it. Someone tell me how wrong I am.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

Okay, I have a team worked out in my head

I'm not a pro, but it seems like a mistake to have two powerup characters on the same team. Even if you get Frank powered up (and that's not guaranteed) then you have to start all over with Wright.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
What if you could combo break with X-factor, but doing so meant that it no longer scales with the number of dead characters you have?

What I mean is, you can activate a sort of X-factor burst that stops an enemy combo, but now, you can no longer get level 2-3 X-factor, only level 1.

Too dumb?

Sarchasm posted:

I'm not a pro, but it seems like a mistake to have two powerup characters on the same team. Even if you get Frank powered up (and that's not guaranteed) then you have to start all over with Wright.

And the clock is always a factor. It takes time to get these characters to peak performance if your opponent knows how to block/mix-up. It seems like you would want your (singular) leveling character on point so that you can tag him out to preserve him for assists or a rad comeback later in the match.

(Also, not a pro.)

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 8, 2011

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
No combo breakers in marvel. Never ever.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

Okay, I have a team worked out in my head that utilizes three characters I like rather than having two I like and one guy in there as a just in case. Frank/Cart, Wright/Press, and Deadpool/Trigger Happy. I can do a decent Frank combo that can get me to level 3 at least without using any meter, so long as I have an assist that holds them in the air long enough for me to keep a combo going after an OTG Snapshot. If I manage to get him to L3, I can swap in Wright, who now has both the shopping cart assist and Trigger Happy to keep him safe, then just deal with his bullshit for awhile, and once I get to Turnabout mode I can either run with it or swap Frank/Deadpool in and enjoy having his assist to go along with I guess Frank's zombie attacks to get in? It's making less sense as I explain it. Someone tell me how wrong I am.

This is a mistake just because of how difficult it is to power up one or the other. If your opponent is weak enough that he'll allow you to power up both characters, then you most likely didn't need either of them in order to win.

To get into the nitty-gritty: Phoenix Wright already has Maya Shield to keep him safe from ground-level attacks. His weakness is teleporters who can teleport behind him (where Maya Shield can't reach) and super-jumpers. The shopping cart is totally superfluous.

Wright's other weakness is that he can't search for evidence while being attack, so he needs an assist that can lock down the opponent while you search. Happy-Happy trigger doesn't last long enough to be effective.

Furthermore, while Break the Witness is easily the best assist in the game, it actually doesn't benefit Frank all that much. People aren't going to be hitting buttons against him anyway once he's powered up, and will try to zone you instead. You want an assist that will let you start barrel rolling and opening people up rather than a "get off me" assist.

Finally, if you're just using Deadpool because of Happy-Happy trigger, you'd be better off with a projectile assist with better lockdown properties. Something like Ammy's Cold Star, Doom Hidden Missiles, or Strange's Eye of Agamotto.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Bovineicide posted:

Make X-Factor cost 3 bars. There, I fixed your drat game. I'll be expecting my check in the mail :smug:

Uh, that's even worse. Top tier characters like Wolverine and Wesker don't need meter to kill anyone in XF3 so saving meter for them is no big deal, but characters like Haggar and Tron are screwed over since it makes XF Guard Cancel xx Level 3 impossible.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
So it turns out, Mike Ross actually IS the best. :stare:

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
Why is anyone arguing about that, the optimal choice is just remove it all together because its stupid, combo breakers are stupid. MvC2 supremacy.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
The important thing is Steve is the best. I don't think i have veer laughed so much as game commentary.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

My first rage quit. :) Followed immediately by my second. People really hate the invincible Wright assist and/or losing a Ranked streak.

Wait, where'd my records go? :smith:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Anybody figure out those Chris G combos with Hawkeye/Ryu assist? And like 5 net arrows?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Capcom: not as dumb as we all thought?

http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/08/umvc3-anytime-throw-tech-is-a-glitch-will-be-patched-out/

(probably still dumb though)

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Elephunk posted:

Anybody figure out those Chris G combos with Hawkeye/Ryu assist? And like 5 net arrows?

His combo is really intuitive to the point of where it's probably the first thing you try as Hawkeye/Ryu. The net arrow loop is kinda tight but it shouldn't be a problem for someone who doesn't have rear end execution like mine. (it also works fullscreen and is an infinite in xf3)

The specific combo he does is: slide+call ryu assist->l trick shot into poison tip (timing is always the same, if it's blocked you're safe if it hits or the slide hits ryu carries them)->net arrow->single h shot xx net arrow looped 3 times (or 2 if he's feeling unsafe about his timing since each rep has tighter timing)-> l/h trick shot (spacing dependent) into ice arrow -> launch -> j.mhs -> mash firebrand assist while falling -> delayed l trick shot poison tip -> launch -> j.hs -> poison tip

The reason you don't slide after the ice arrow ground bounce is because it severely increases your hitstun decay and causes the opponent to stay way longer on the ground as to allow for the assist+poison tip section of the relaunch.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Frankly (:haw:) I think you basically have to build an entire team around Frank (or, for that matter, a completely separate team around Wright) to make him effective. Most of the good Frank setups I've seen so far involve doing a nice, long combo into Dante's million dollars so that you can get to at least level 4 off of your first hit. Frank is rear end at low levels, so if it takes you 2+ hits to make him useable, you should really be playing someone who's good from the first hit.

Similarly, Wright basically has to be covered by assists that zone out well enough for him to enter Non lovely Character mode, otherwise there's not much point. Even if you somehow get Frank buffed up and use him to cover Wright, shopping cart is covering a zone that Wright can already cover effectively on his own, so it's sort of redundant.

I recently started picking up Nova and rocking Nova/Strider/Jill, and so far it's pretty awesome. Grav pulse H with Vajra and javelins is deceptively good for pestering (and getting tagged by an errant projectile in between actually helps, since it means you get to have two Pulses active simultaneously), and anyone who gets tagged by a javelin or Strider while trying to jump in gets a hard KD -> free combo for Nova. I haven't really decided if I want to have Strider or Jill as anchor yet. Strider is great at it, but it's actually more fun to play him on point than anchor, and XF gives Jill the damage she needs to actually be worth a poo poo.

Brosnan fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 8, 2011

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Why the gently caress does Hawkeye have a slide kick?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Niddhogg posted:

More importantly, why didn't Taskmaster steal it?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Niddhogg posted:

They needed to knock She Hulk down a few tiers.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Every ex-Avenger needs a slide kick, clearly.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Kuvo posted:

They needed to knock She Hulk down a few tiers.

Yeah I still don't get this. They nerfed She Hulk slide because it was too good, then turn around and give Frank the same slide and Hawkeye an even better one.

And speaking of Frank, if you can ignore the terrible music this is really cool stuff for level 1-2 Frank:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3kKiY4XkvM&feature=player_embedded

This is alot easier then doing Air H into ToS H for a solo relaunch.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 8, 2011

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
She-Hulk was a lot better in vanilla than Frank is now.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get by Taskmaster not wearing some sunglasses and copying Wesker's power boost :colbert:

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Frank needs a slide kick to give him extra footsie tools for when he does find a way in.

Hawkeye needs no such thing.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Niddhogg posted:

Frank needs a slide kick to give him extra footsie tools for when he does find a way in.

Hawkeye needs no such thing.

Also Frank literally has two moves that hit low, one of them he can't use until level 2.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Niddhogg posted:

Marvel insisted his line "I make every team better" be reflected in gameplay

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get by Taskmaster not wearing some sunglasses and copying Wesker's power boost :colbert:

The power up super Taskmaster needs is watching a vhs in fastforward so he gains a speed boost like in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Niddhogg posted:

It's alchemy. See, if you nerf one character, you have to put the buff into another one, or else people don't buy the game or something. Equivalent exchange.

• Locked thread