Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SouthLAnd posted:

Also: The rear three quarter view of the new Honda CR-V bothers me in ways I can't quite explain.

Around the D-pillar, tail lights, rear most window and the stray body line on the bumper that's shooting off into space, it just looks like a jumbled mess. It's got nothing on the new Escape, especially since it's using the same driveline as the previous model.

Good lord is that ugly. It's that special kind of ugly that really takes effort to make. I bet it will still be #2 behind the Escape, though. As the success of the last generation Ford Focus shows, people will buy an ugly car if the price is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Rear wheel vs front wheel.

How wide are these in mm?

Because i got new wheels for my car and thought they were pretty wide 225, but my co workers jetta has 225's all round from the factory?
Surely there is no reason for tyre width to be increasing like this, it seems like the newer cars are, the wider tyres they fit to them?

Oh its style right?

warcake fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 20, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My '11 WRX came with 235s from the factory.

It's not just style, it's a more desirable contact patch for grip.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

warcake posted:

Because i got new wheels for my car and thought they were pretty wide 225, but my co workers jetta has 225's all round from the factory?
Surely there is no reason for tyre width to be increasing like this, it seems like the newer cars are, the wider tyres they fit to them?

Oh its style right?
I don't think it's so much that cars are coming with wider tires because they're new, but that new cars are coming with wider tires because they're heavier, and wider tires are needed to maintain a safe level of performance. It's a rather complicated explanation on why wider tires grip better, but sufficed to say that the shape of the contact patch wider tires offer deal much better with high slip angles than narrow tires, even when tire pressures are the same and the contact patch has the same physical area.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

warcake posted:

Oh its style right?

Well you know the GT3 has 245/35/19 fronts and 325/30/19 rears, although I guess it's the Porsche hallmark

I know I derive a little satisfaction from having front tires that are larger than the rears on most cars (I have a 987 not a GT3)

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SouthLAnd posted:

It's a minivan. We have come full circle.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The 2012 Subaru Impreza might just be the perfect car for the girlfriend. She sat in it at the LA Auto Show and really liked the finish and overall appearance. Seems to be priced nicely, hope it drives well.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

warcake posted:

Oh its style right?

just looked it up, they're 255 front and 335 rear.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Linedance posted:

just looked it up, they're 255 front and 335 rear.

Haha, for about 15 seconds I thought you meant you looked up the stock Jetta tires and I was so confused.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Can't decide between a F350 Superduty and an M5? The newest M550dx gives you the best of both worlds with a tri-turbo inline 6 and AWD.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Looks like Honda is debuting a new NSX at the Detroit auto show.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/honda-nsx-tokyo-motor-show-2011-11-29

I have to assume they got jealous of Toyota's press with the GT86 and wanted some of the limelight. I'm ok with that.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
This might have been posted before but the Mazda 3 Skyactiv is somehow all I can think about right now. Especially with that 6-speed manual which is supposedly based off the Miata. The Miata gearbox is by far my favorite with the exception of the S2000 AP2 gearbox(with the carbon fiber synchros)

The styling is much more subtle than the Mazdaspeed 3 or normal Mazda3 2.5. I can't say no to 40MPG!

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
This is supposed to be the new Ford Mondeo... I doubt it'll look like this but I hope it does.

Bastard child of an Aston and a Jag XF.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raikiri posted:

This is supposed to be the new Ford Mondeo... I doubt it'll look like this but I hope it does.

Holy crap....that's a nice looking car.

But, as is typical now, the beltline looks too high to have any kinds of decent visibility.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Glad to see they're using the evos concept for this. Bummer the gullwing doors didn't make it, but then again they never would have.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's also supposed to be the next ford fusion.

edit:

yeah, i'd say the rendering is pretty drat close.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 2, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That is some great camo work.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Raikiri posted:

That is gorgeous. Ford is really on a roll with their styling; just about everything they make, from the Mustang to the Fiesta, looks good. Hopefully this is what the next Fusion looks like.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Raikiri posted:

Wow. It takes a long time to turn an entire auto manufacturer around, but drat are they headed the right direction now. If this is a bastard, I'm on Team Bastard.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Tricky Ed posted:

If this is a bastard, I'm on Team Bastard.

Hey, me too. Being part Aston is never a bad thing.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
I encountered this slightly disguised Ford today.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Billy Zane posted:

I encountered this slightly disguised Ford today.

You sure it's not a Fiesta with a bra? I can't really see anything out of the ordinary.

E: After looking at it some more I can't tell wtf model that is.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Well, it's too big to be a Fiesta and it's not a Focus...

Gotta be the Fusion/Mondeo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's the current euro ford mondeo. Probably a test mule for engines for the next fusion/mondeo

edit: maybe not, it looks like a toned down mondeo.

Yeah, it's just the current mondeo.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 4, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So Chrysler's new C-segment car has been named.

Based on same Fiat C-EVO platform as the Alfa Giulietta below.

:italy:The new Dodge Dart!:911:

Inside, materials are probably pre-production.

- Suspension will be Macpherson struts in front, double wishbone in back.
- Options include HID lights and lane departure warning.
- 3 engines, 2.0l I4 will probably be the base engine, a 1.4l turbo I4 with Multiair and a 2.4l I4.
- 3 transmissions, details of which are yet to be revealed, but speculation is that at least there will be a 6 speed manual and a 6 speed dual clutch as the Alfa is currently equipped with, with the third likely being the new 9 speed auto. ONCE AGAIN CHRYSLER LEAPFROGS COMPETITION IN FWD TRANSAXLE TECHNOLOGY!

http://www.dodge.com/en/dart/

http://www.dart-mouth.com/

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am properly excited to see new Darts on the road. Fiat has been doing amazing things for Chrysler. Man those taillights are gorgeous. They should be on every dodge.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BoostCreep posted:

I am properly excited to see new Darts on the road. Fiat has been doing amazing things for Chrysler. Man those taillights are gorgeous. They should be on every dodge.

Just like GM, everything that has been put out so far was already done by Chrysler before the bankruptcy. The Dart will be the first actual FIAT vehicle.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

Just like GM, everything that has been put out so far was already done by Chrysler before the bankruptcy. The Dart will be the first actual FIAT vehicle.

Yes, but I have to assume Fiat did have a hand in redesigning the interiors of the current lineup. Go sit in a 2010 Charger, and then sit in a 2011. It's like an entirely different car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Fiat isn't exactly known for their interiors anyway - generally they're quite poorly designed and constructed.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BoostCreep posted:

Yes, but I have to assume Fiat did have a hand in redesigning the interiors of the current lineup. Go sit in a 2010 Charger, and then sit in a 2011. It's like an entirely different car.

Agreed. The new Durangos are also gorgeous, inside and out.

Very excited to see what a quality compact car does for Chrysler. They were incredibly stupid for discontinuing the Neon instead of evolving it.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

dissss posted:

Fiat isn't exactly known for their interiors anyway - generally they're quite poorly designed and constructed.

Fiat has got nothing on GM when it comes to awful interiors. Rubbermaid would be ashamed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

law abiding rapist posted:

Fiat has got nothing on GM when it comes to awful interiors. Rubbermaid would be ashamed.

GM USA maybe. The European GM products are fine and even the Korean ones are okay now.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

BoostCreep posted:

Looks like Honda is debuting a new NSX at the Detroit auto show.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/honda-nsx-tokyo-motor-show-2011-11-29

I have to assume they got jealous of Toyota's press with the GT86 and wanted some of the limelight. I'm ok with that.

let's just hope this electric supercar crap doesn't become a dominant trend for manufacturers

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeticopter posted:

let's just hope this electric supercar crap doesn't become a dominant trend for manufacturers

That article mentions the new nsx almost in passing, then discusses the kei-sized ev-ster in detail. Nowhere does it say the new nsx will be electric, in fact it talks about a halo car which would pretty much have to be petrol.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

angryhampster posted:

Very excited to see what a quality compact car does for Chrysler. They were incredibly stupid for discontinuing the Neon instead of evolving it.

That was Daimler. There was a more carlike model known interally as the Rebel, but zee Germans killed it because they knew better and America wanted a mini gas guzzling truck with a lovely interior and a wonky CVT.

They took this platform..

And pooped out this...

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 8, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone have a comparison between the mazda2 and the hyundai accent hatchback? I know they're both boring eco boxes, but I'm seriously wondering if the accent is hitting 40 mpg. The mazda2 is at 35mpg.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TLG James posted:

Anyone have a comparison between the mazda2 and the hyundai accent hatchback? I know they're both boring eco boxes, but I'm seriously wondering if the accent is hitting 40 mpg.

I think some people have been saying it's hard to get 40, but it's still pretty good. Recent complaint about the Elantra, which uses a bigger and I assume thirstier motor:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/02/consumer-group-cries-foul-on-hyundais-40-mpg-claim/

Various user-submission based averages:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/hyundai/accent
http://www.truedelta.com/fuel_economy.php?brand=13&model=118&powertrain=pt_2012_4_670

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

ONCE AGAIN CHRYSLER LEAPFROGS COMPETITION IN FWD TRANSAXLE TECHNOLOGY!

It's not a Chrysler FWD if it doesn't ratchet like hell every time you stop!

angryhampster posted:

Really is. We had one for a rental this past summer and it was really a very nice vehicle to get five tall guys around in.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

travisray2004 posted:

You sure it's not a Fiesta with a bra? I can't really see anything out of the ordinary.

E: After looking at it some more I can't tell wtf model that is.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/spy-photos/spied!-the-2013-ford-fusion-and-lincoln-mkz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TLG James posted:

Anyone have a comparison between the mazda2 and the hyundai accent hatchback? I know they're both boring eco boxes, but I'm seriously wondering if the accent is hitting 40 mpg. The mazda2 is at 35mpg.

Wait for the Mazda2 to get the Skyactive motor then it should be rated at 40 or better. The Mazda3 isn't much more expensive and is already being offered with the Skyactive and is rated at 40mpg.