Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

900ftjesus posted:

I highly recommend GoLauncher EX, it duplicates LPP function for function (pretty sure they can match widgets if you grab those off the market). Except they added iOS-style folders and several other little enhancements. It's pretty much what LPP might be if Fede was still actually updating it. And it gets fairly regular updates.

It's really fast with one exception, some of the transition animations aren't very smooth depending on what widgets you have. If the animation requires it to "break" up a widget in some way to make it transition like icons would it can get a little choppy. Completely avoidable if you leave the stock sliding animation between screens and don't use the 3D transitions.

I've tried Go and I like a lot about it, but it always ran funky on my Dinc2. Go is a great launcher, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Am I missing something obvious on how to make the Gmail app blink the notification LED on my new Evo 3D? I looked at the settings and I only see settings for status bar, vibrate and ringtone. But I don't get any blinking lights when a new message comes in.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
I'm using Go Launcher Ex but I have the other two popular paid launcher apps, and I like everything about it except that screen transitions are really slow and clunky on Go Launcher, while they're super smooth on ADW EX and LPP. Should I take the time to switch to ADW or LPP again, or is there any way to get Go Launcher Ex to use a simpler transition effect? I went through all the ones the app came with and the only one that isn't obnoxious is cube (outside) and it makes my phone lag. In an ideal situation, I would like my phone to have absolutely no transition effect, or the simplest least annoying one possible.

I have the same problem with all of the Go apps actually... Go SMS, and their contacts/dialer app.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Drunken Lullabies posted:

I'm using Go Launcher Ex but I have the other two popular paid launcher apps, and I like everything about it except that screen transitions are really slow and clunky on Go Launcher, while they're super smooth on ADW EX and LPP. Should I take the time to switch to ADW or LPP again, or is there any way to get Go Launcher Ex to use a simpler transition effect? I went through all the ones the app came with and the only one that isn't obnoxious is cube (outside) and it makes my phone lag.
From home:
menu->preferences->Effects Settings->Desktop Transition effect->Default
will set it to the minimal slide animation.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I could do with some help. I hadn't updated my apps for ages, loaded up the market today to do so, virtually all of them (20+) needed updating so I was like what the hell and hit 'update all'. Cue a day full of HTC Desire S -related agony.

Turns out the market isn't able to queue downloads & installs or something? It crashed my phone, and whenever I connect to the internet (i.e. turn on wireless or go somewhere with decent signal), the phone crashes.
Does anyone have some idea of why this happened and what the hell I can do to get Android to... you know... update my apps without trying to give me a stroke for doing so.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm trying out ADW EX - did they remove the ability to swipe sideways to different catalogs from regular ADW? As far as I can tell, the only way to choose a different one is by Menu -> Choose Group. (Also, what the hell - groups or catalogs, which is it?)

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

From home:
menu->preferences->Effects Settings->Desktop Transition effect->Default
will set it to the minimal slide animation.

Someone pointed out to me in the OS thread Preferences - screen settings - screen transition speed = quick will also help.

edit: holy poo poo, Go is awesome. I was playing with an ics rom and saw how the homescreen folder creation worked on the stock launcher, wanted to suggest it for go launcher but it's already there!

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 8, 2011

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

Manky posted:

I'm trying out ADW EX - did they remove the ability to swipe sideways to different catalogs from regular ADW? As far as I can tell, the only way to choose a different one is by Menu -> Choose Group. (Also, what the hell - groups or catalogs, which is it?)

Yeah. It's the most annoying poo poo ever and the ONLY thing that bothers me about the EX version over the older one. You have to manually add each and every app you want in that group as you get it. I really wish they'd just kept that as it was in the non-EX version and not hosed it up.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

900ftjesus posted:

I never had it ask me when I used it.

I too have never had handcent request superuser. It will pop up something for LBE though if you use that.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

Someone pointed out to me in the OS thread Preferences - screen settings - screen transition speed = quick will also help.

I was using Default transition animation which is fast, but Quick makes that even faster. Thanks for the tip.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

AlexMoron posted:

Yeah. It's the most annoying poo poo ever and the ONLY thing that bothers me about the EX version over the older one. You have to manually add each and every app you want in that group as you get it. I really wish they'd just kept that as it was in the non-EX version and not hosed it up.

What the hell. I love how much snappier EX is, but not being able to categorize my apps and then actually easily navigate those categories is a dealbreaker.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

Twitter app just updated to 3.0, looks like a decent UI overhaul.

Details here: http://support.twitter.com/articles/168312-android-release-notes

Been messing around with this for a while and I gotta say it's a heck of a lot better than the 2.0 updates were. The app finally tells you who re-tweets or favorites your tweets without the need of something like Favstar. Also the redesign is good and works well. Can't say the same for the changes to the web interface right now but whatever.

As of now in my opinion the official twitter app and Plume are the best twitter applications right now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Google Music does seem to live in /system/app, which makes me nervous. Thanks for the waste of space, Google!

If it lives in /system/, it isn't taking up space from the main app storage area. You'd need to both remove the app and repartition the phone to get app space by deleting system apps.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Manky posted:

There's a Drawer Swiping option in General Behavior -> Gestures that may enable this. I have no idea, though.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

SpacePig posted:

There's a Drawer Swiping option in General Behavior -> Gestures that may enable this. I have no idea, though.

AHHH YES. Thank you! Why the hell that preference is there and not under the drat drawer preferences... Whatever, cool beans.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Google Music does seem to live in /system/app, which makes me nervous. Thanks for the waste of space, Google!

What? On my phone, Google Music (com.google.android.music-1.apk) lives in /data/app along with all the other apps. The icon for Google Music is a pair of grey and orange headphones. The icon for Music (Music.apk, the default player that comes with Android) is a blue speaker, and that's what should be in /system/app.

Are you running a custom ROM? Maybe the author baked Google Music into the ROM. In which case, blame them.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Are you running a custom ROM? Maybe the author baked Google Music into the ROM. In which case, blame them.

And even in this case, don't really get too mad, since Google Music can ALSO play local files. It functionally replaces the stock Music app, so having it in /system (where it only occupies space you can't use anyway) is really the best-case scenario.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

As far as apps are concerned, ADW Launcher EX is about the only app to mention here in this thread. For $.10, it's worth checking out.
There are quite a few games worth getting, although that's not really the discussion for this thread.

Also, both the new Facebook and Twitter apps are really nice, IMO. The Facebook app resembles the recently-released iPad app now (although it could be like the new web interface, haven't seen it yet), and Twitter is apparently rolling out their new interface everywhere (mobile site, desktop site, Android + iOS apps).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How vital is it right now to have a good antivirus program on an Android device? And who among you can recommend one for my Transformer?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Lookout is pretty much the defacto in my opinion. Although I don't use it, it seems to be a pretty popular app as a whole suite.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

THF13 posted:

Went back to ADW since the EX version was $0.10, but it seems to have changed a lot since I used it last and I can't seem to get the bottom dockbar to act like I want.

The way I want to set it up is to have 2 dockbars. One with just 5 icons that doesn't scroll, and a second that temporarily replaces it by swiping up/down that scrolls left to right. But it looks like this functionality has been replaced with just the scrollable dockbar.
Yeah, ADW used to have that but it was removed this week in one of the new updates:

quote:

@anderwebs Ander Webbs
To everyone complaining about missing the hidden dock: sorry. It was a tough decision backed up by 90% of users. I'll do my best to improve
7 Dec

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google just introduced Google Currents out of the blue. It seem like RSS on steroids. Basically, more advanced layout and nagivation for articles on a website rather than just displaying the contents of a feed.

There are a bunch ready to go right now. You can also add RSS feeds to the app, they just are limited to what an RSS feed usually displays.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

sleepwalkers posted:

Also, both the new Facebook and Twitter apps are really nice, IMO.

The Twitter app looks like it has potential, but it has some asinine design right now. What the hell is that toolbar at the top with nothing but the Twitter logo and a single button? And why doesn't it give you any control over notifications? Ugggh and the timeline has so much wasted spaaace, why does it need two maaargins

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

bull3964 posted:

Google just introduced Google Currents out of the blue. It seem like RSS on steroids. Basically, more advanced layout and nagivation for articles on a website rather than just displaying the contents of a feed.

There are a bunch ready to go right now. You can also add RSS feeds to the app, they just are limited to what an RSS feed usually displays.

I absolutely didn't get this at first but having set it up, I love it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Living Vicariously posted:

Yeah, I had trouble wrapping my head around the concept, but I get it now. Magazine versions websites is what it basically boils down to, complete with offline caching and such.

I just hope it catches on a most sites end up doing it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

C-Euro posted:

How vital is it right now to have a good antivirus program on an Android device? And who among you can recommend one for my Transformer?

Pretty sure a Google engineer just recently made a post about how pointless they are and how the peoe who sell them are crooks.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

bull3964 posted:

This app is incompatible with your Rogers Wireless Sony Ericsson LT15i.

Rogers Wireless Sony Ericsson LT15i
This item cannot be installed in your device's country

Boo-urns, I think this would be pretty sweet.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Manky posted:

The Twitter app looks like it has potential, but it has some asinine design right now. What the hell is that toolbar at the top with nothing but the Twitter logo and a single button? And why doesn't it give you any control over notifications? Ugggh and the timeline has so much wasted spaaace, why does it need two maaargins

Go to your account settings, it still has notification settings! And yes, wasted screen real estate is meh, but it's at least attractive waste, unlike the last UI. I hated that design with a passion.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

C-Euro posted:

How vital is it right now to have a good antivirus program on an Android device?
It's absolutely not vital unless you're downloading apps from a sideloaded Chinese app store or crazy poo poo. In fact, I don't know anyone who actually uses one.

Also, don't leave "USB Debugging" enabled when you plug your phone into a random computer. And in general, I'd avoid charging your phone from unknown computers and USB receptacles, carry your AC adapter around or make a condom cable.

Codiusprime posted:

Pretty sure a Google engineer just recently made a post about how pointless they are and how the peoe who sell them are crooks.
You have a link for that?

There's one good reason for an AV scanner, which is to scan apks on installation for known exploit signatures to avoid malware. That's not particularly useful on a Nexus device running the latest version of Android, but third-party devices get security updates what, twice a year?

Although I don't know if AV scanners hook the package installer or not. They should, otherwise they really are worthless.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

sleepwalkers posted:

Go to your account settings, it still has notification settings! And yes, wasted screen real estate is meh, but it's at least attractive waste, unlike the last UI. I hated that design with a passion.

Derp, you're right. My other complaints stand.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

What? On my phone, Google Music (com.google.android.music-1.apk) lives in /data/app along with all the other apps. The icon for Google Music is a pair of grey and orange headphones. The icon for Music (Music.apk, the default player that comes with Android) is a blue speaker, and that's what should be in /system/app.

No, just rooted the stock ROM. I'm not using a file explorer, I'm going from what Titanium Backup tells me. I looks to have superceded the old Music, as it shows up not as "Google Music" but as "Music 4.0.9" (icon is indeed a pair of grey headphones with orange trim) and when I go to delete it, it warns me that it will uninstall /system/app/MusicGoogle.apk.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You have a link for that?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/114765095157367281222/posts/ZqPvFwdDLPv

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

No, just rooted the stock ROM. I'm not using a file explorer, I'm going from what Titanium Backup tells me. I looks to have superceded the old Music, as it shows up not as "Google Music" but as "Music 4.0.9" (icon is indeed a pair of grey headphones with orange trim) and when I go to delete it, it warns me that it will uninstall /system/app/MusicGoogle.apk.

Well... that's loving weird. I dunno! v:shobon:v

Living Vicariously posted:

Seems like this is how 90% of Google projects work.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I found a fun app last night while looking for something else. I was trying to find an app that'd shut down wifi for me when the tablet was not used, and instead found Sleep Bot Tracker. You press a button when you go to sleep, you press it when you wake up and in the end you get stats about how much you sleep.

Turns out it turns off wifi for you if you want as well, so I'm happy with this one.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Splizwarf posted:

Seems like this is how 90% of Google projects work.

Hahahaha. True. I think I've actually said the same thing about a lot of their apps.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

bull3964 posted:

Doesn't seem quite ready for primetime. It's locked up a couple times, seems to lose my imported Reader feed and doesn't really have a way to organize them besides ordering them.

Looks neat, though.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I had trouble wrapping my head around the concept, but I get it now. Magazine versions websites is what it basically boils down to, complete with offline caching and such.

I just hope it catches on a most sites end up doing it.

The interface is great, but it really just makes me pine for the days of newspapers. RSS is great for topics about which I want to be totally informed, as they happen. But with the massive amount of general news these days, we need the newspaper format. If I don't want to be kept abreast of every single development, then chances are I only want to know what's important. The more time I have, the more pages I'll flip through as the content gets less important. All the major newspapers' RSS feeds post an article every ten minutes, it seems! "Wheat ruling board sparks dual appeals!" "Figure skater Chan feels unappreciated in Canada!"

Google News sometimes manages to do this well, but often meaningless poo poo like "Missing Florida woman's cell phone found!" will take the place of something I really needed to know about. I want a talented editor to decide what's important so I don't have to spend as much time finding out for myself.

I know this is really a general criticism of the news media today, who like to focus on things that they think will be popular. And I know I could pick up an actual newspaper, I just hope news organizations use this platform to create a decent layout for their content.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Are there any good replacements for the Sense calendar widget? Specifically the agenda view.

It sucks that you can't use sense widgets without the sense launcher.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Geekner posted:

Are there any good replacements for the Sense calendar widget? Specifically the agenda view.

Business Calendar is alright: https://market.android.com/details?id=netgenius.bizcal&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsIm5ldGdlbml1cy5iaXpjYWwiXQ..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Geekner posted:

Pure Grid Agenda? I really like Pure Grid Calendar. It sucks that its 2 apps (@ $2 each) though.

• Locked thread