Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Weird, I haven't had any of those issues on either my X2 or Nook Color. I'm loving the app though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Thanks, that seems to work well enough. The widget only lacks scroll, but I rarely have to do that now that it's more compressed. It's supposed to be ad supported, but I haven't seen any yet.

RE: Pure Grid, I'm not gonna try a calendar that charges for both parts without some kind of demo.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Geekner posted:

Are there any good replacements for the Sense calendar widget? Specifically the agenda view.

It sucks that you can't use sense widgets without the sense launcher.

If you're looking for Sense-style widgets, GOLauncher has a calendar widget that mimics it, as does Android Pro Widgets, LauncherProPlus, and Colorize Widgets.

I'd recommend Android Pro Widgets myself.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Living Vicariously posted:

If you're looking for Sense-style widgets, GOLauncher has a calendar widget that mimics it, as does Android Pro Widgets, LauncherProPlus, and Colorize Widgets.

I'd recommend Android Pro Widgets myself.

APW seems to be a carbon-copy of Sense calendar, thanks! I should spring for the full version to get the compressed view, but the free one is great on its own.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Is it just me or is the amazon app store a complete and utter waste? The whole "Free App a day" is a gimmick if 95% of the apps are absolute crap games. Google's 10 cent sale is going to have way better deals than all of the apps that amazon has released for free. The clunky interface along with the annoying installation reminders, random high CPU usage and the delayed app updates make it a pain. I've bought apps on the market that I got for free on amazon just so I wouldn't have to put up with amazon.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The question is would we have got the 10c deals if Amazon had never started their own market?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

dissss posted:

The question is would we have got the 10c deals if Amazon had never started their own market?

Yes, the nose-tweaking is intended for Apple, who capitalized on the 'X number of burgers served' thing originally as a gently caress-you to nascent lovely Android of yore.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

Manky posted:

AHHH YES. Thank you! Why the hell that preference is there and not under the drat drawer preferences... Whatever, cool beans.

Sorry about that. I guess I misread what you had said. Yeah, categories/groups are still there, but it's seriously gimped (in my opinion) from what it used to be like.

Grawl posted:

I found a fun app last night while looking for something else. I was trying to find an app that'd shut down wifi for me when the tablet was not used, and instead found Sleep Bot Tracker. You press a button when you go to sleep, you press it when you wake up and in the end you get stats about how much you sleep.

Turns out it turns off wifi for you if you want as well, so I'm happy with this one.

I've been using this for a few months and it's great. Took a while to get in the habit of punching in every night but now I do so without even noticing.

Geekner posted:

Are there any good replacements for the Sense calendar widget? Specifically the agenda view.

It sucks that you can't use sense widgets without the sense launcher.

I don't remember if it's anything like Sense (haven't been on it since I rooted back in July), but I really dig Agenda Widget. The amount of customizability it has is great. Plus, it has scrolling.

Cierra
Feb 14, 2007
dead

El Grillo posted:

I could do with some help. I hadn't updated my apps for ages, loaded up the market today to do so, virtually all of them (20+) needed updating so I was like what the hell and hit 'update all'. Cue a day full of HTC Desire S -related agony.

Turns out the market isn't able to queue downloads & installs or something? It crashed my phone, and whenever I connect to the internet (i.e. turn on wireless or go somewhere with decent signal), the phone crashes.
Does anyone have some idea of why this happened and what the hell I can do to get Android to... you know... update my apps without trying to give me a stroke for doing so.

Not sure if it's still relevant to you, but whatever you do, I hope you don't pull the battery out, since there is a chance that that can kill your Desire S. Try power + vol up + vol down for force shutdown instead.

As for the market update causing your phone to crash, I suggest you to go to My Apps on the Market app and cancel the downloads one by one.

I got impatient from the same update all -> freeze issue that you are experiencing, pulled the battery, and killed my phone. Oops.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Should I get ADW Launcher while it's 10 cents if I am generally happy with LPP? Does it have significant differences in features or anything?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Syrinxx posted:

Should I get ADW Launcher while it's 10 cents if I am generally happy with LPP? Does it have significant differences in features or anything?

I use LPP 100%, but I bought ADW EX just incase I get tired of LPP. for 10c, whats the worst that could happen.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Will ten cents break you?

If yes: Do not buy

If no: YES! Do buy! It's ten cents!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Can someone explain why Currents is only available in the US? I can understand music and voice, but I really don't know why a news reader needs to be geo-locked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ZShakespeare posted:

Can someone explain why Currents is only available in the US? I can understand music and voice, but I really don't know why a news reader needs to be geo-locked.

I think the clue lies in the fact that adding a source currently says "Add for Free."

After using it a bit more it has become clear to me what Currents is not, and that's a news reader. Sure, some blogs have created feeds for the Current app and you can even add RSS Feeds into it, but short form news snippets isn't quite what this is about.

For example, the very minimum automatic sync interval you can have is 6 hours and initiating a manual sync isn't very user friendly. It's slow and the manual refresh button isn't always easy to get to. We all know how fast the news headlines move today, so how is that even remotely useful then? The answer is that this isn't the right tool for that job. The purpose of this app is to allow sites to publish content like a magazine editions.

So, you wouldn't use Currents for checking up on news on Droid Life every 30 minutes during the course of the day. However, if you wanted to read that news once a day like a magazine, this would be your app. This gets even more clear if you start looking at other content like Scientific American or Popular Science.

So, it's an attempt to publish content to devices in a more coherent and long form fashion.

So, how does that relate to non-US? I'm assuming there's licensing issues involved, especially when they launch paid content (and I'm sure they probably will.) Google is probably treading lightly in order to get partners on board and one of those provisions is likely "don't publish this content outside of the US."

Sure, right now the content is what's available on the actual websites. I suspect this will not remain that way for long though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cakefool posted:

Reckless getaway is good, I recommend it.

Wtfedit: tetris is not compatible with my device - I demand to know why?!

Same here. I've got an Evo 3D. I checked out the comments, and someone suggested turning off 4G because the app can't phone home on 4G. I was connected to WiFi, and apparently that's not a good enough connection either, because when I disabled it, the app ran fine. Still a retarded thing for EA to do.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Anyone have problems with the G+ app not uploading photos reliably?

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007
Today's $0.10 Apps:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

hooah posted:

Same here. I've got an Evo 3D. I checked out the comments, and someone suggested turning off 4G because the app can't phone home on 4G. I was connected to WiFi, and apparently that's not a good enough connection either, because when I disabled it, the app ran fine. Still a retarded thing for EA to do.

I'm confused. Not compatible as in I can't buy the app.

Strand
Dec 11, 2008

Maybe someone with low self-esteem and slightly larger breasts.

Seems to be like the last couple of days. A couple of decent productivity or fun apps (Shazam, Camera), 1 or 2 good games (Game Dev Story) and a the rest being obscure/terrible shovelware.

Still, at 10c, it flies right under my "actual money" radar and I'm snapping them up anyway. I'd like Google to release numbers on this promotion after it's over because even normal people I know have been getting in on these 10c deals in a way I've never seen before.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Paper camera is up again?

I clicked on gamedevstory and it still shows normal price on the phone market

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
What do you guys think of WidgetLocker? I keep reading it will drain your battery and slow your phone down but those are comments from the market, so who knows. So anyone use it and see their battery time go down noticeably?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Easy Mac posted:

What do you guys think of WidgetLocker? I keep reading it will drain your battery and slow your phone down but those are comments from the market, so who knows. So anyone use it and see their battery time go down noticeably?

I have no problems with it, other than it didn't play nice with launcher pro for some reason on my device

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have it & lpp, no noticeable battery drain, plays nice with lpp. I have a couple tiny issues I've been meaning to email the dev about, but nothing serious.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

brc64 posted:

Am I missing something obvious on how to make the Gmail app blink the notification LED on my new Evo 3D? I looked at the settings and I only see settings for status bar, vibrate and ringtone. But I don't get any blinking lights when a new message comes in.

Go to Android Settings, Display, Notification Flash, and see if anything is unchecked. I have everything checked and I've never had a problem with the LED for any version of Gmail.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Easy Mac posted:

When it works it's great, but it's finicky as gently caress. I had a ton of problems with it on my Sense phone and still had some issues on CM7. Now that's I've got it working right I love it but I won't lie; getting it to that point was a bitch.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Easy Mac posted:

I love it and use the ICS theme for it. No battery drain and works well. It does royally flip the gently caress out once every few days and takes a few seconds to unlock though. It happens so infrequently that I don't really notice it but I use my phones heavily.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 9, 2011

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!
I recently got in on ADW EX at .10 cents and have been configuring it but I have found a frustrating problem. It does not support a notification of unread emails using a exchange email account with the default email application. I have installed ADW notifier (enabled Chuck Norris mode) and it just displays a question mark in the notification bubble. The only solution I've seen is to route all exchange emails thorough gmail which is not really an option. I have googled all over for an answer and pretty much the consensus is that it just isn't supported. Anyone deal with something similar? I would even be okay with a 1x1 widget displaying number of unread emails.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wtf phone

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Cakefool posted:

Wtf phone

The Android experience summed up perfectly. :v:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Anybody having issues with the latest version of Beautiful Widgets from the Market?

I'm getting a 'Application licence not allowed' error when looking for new clock, battery, or toggle skins, but not weather skins.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones
Anybody having trouble purchasing apps today? I figured it was my card being locked after a bunch of little purchases, so I changed to a different one but no luck. The Google Wallet site is really slow/nonresponsive too.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I bought ADW EX yesterday, and had to turn on the thing where your widgets look normal instead of ugly when you are scrolling. Needless to say, it made my phone lag like heck. On top of that, I've been trying to find how to go down to only 4 screens instead of 5. I switched back to LPP and I am pretty content with keeping that.

Also, the new Twitter app is terrible. The UI is ugly, runs slow, and lists the users by their profile name instead of Twitter handle. As a person who doesn't follow people I know in real life, I find it frustrating. Does anyone know where I can get the previous version?

Today's apps look like stuff I don't care about. Games on Android are boring if you are a person who plays console games often. They need to put more useful apps/utilities on there. Here's hoping for WidgetLocker.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

Anybody having trouble purchasing apps today? I figured it was my card being locked after a bunch of little purchases, so I changed to a different one but no luck. The Google Wallet site is really slow/nonresponsive too.

Nah, I'm having issues too!

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

Can't complete a purchase from device nor android site.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

I purchased something around 9AM (the physics game) but about 30 minutes ago I saw todays deals but I can't get them to go through. Called the CC company and they said everything is fine on their end.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I got four of the 10c apps two hours ago, but haven't tried anything since then.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones
mine's back to working now, must have been some blip from TEN BILLION MORE APPS BEING PURCHASED

wait no it's still glitching, only Spirit HD went through. oh well.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 9, 2011

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If I already grabbed SoundHound when it was on sale Monday, is it really worth it to grab Shazam Encore? Or is it a "it's $.10, come on man" situation?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Basically. They both do the same thing and are pretty much interchangeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

C-Euro posted:

If I already grabbed SoundHound when it was on sale Monday, is it really worth it to grab Shazam Encore? Or is it a "it's $.10, come on man" situation?

They're pretty much the same, but it's $.10, come on man!

• Locked thread