Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Shalinor posted:

Thank goodness the band fizzled and died.

You take that back! :cry:

Porksword posted:

Ok I'll elaborate. I'm in the UK and its gone contract crazy over the past few years.
We have had a fair few contract staff in and out of our place recently so this doesn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganon
May 24, 2003
In the same area as FS is FIEA, which looks pretty impressive. But they only offer graduate degrees.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Ganon posted:

In the same area as FS is FIEA, which looks pretty impressive. But they only offer graduate degrees.

That's through UCF dawg.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Waterbed posted:

Anyone over at Cryptic? I put in a job application a couple weeks back for Content Design and I'm actually pretty interested in the company :|

On that note it seems pretty hard to get a lower level Design position. Gonna go make some mods if things look bleak soon :)

What exactly are you looking for?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

DancingMachine posted:

There's pretty much no way I would hire a programmer with no 4 year degree and no professional experience. Even if they had a nice looking portfolio. You're going to need at least need one or the other. It may not be fair, but it is the case.
I got interviews despite neither.

It's doable, especially with how easy it is to get mod SDKs and IDEs without paying a dime these days, but it's a major hurdle and you have to be able to demonstrate that you're a seriously good programmer that's constantly improving to overcome it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
x

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 18, 2017

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Man there were 37 posts since this morning and I was hoping there was some tasty drama or fallout but instead it was just people being awesome and real discussion.

Come on guys, get it together.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Sigma-X posted:

I was hoping there was some tasty drama or fallout - come on guys, get it together.
Sigma-X, I was hoping someone else would tell you, but... Waterbed.

He's your son.

FROM THE FUTURE.

And his face is apparently about to become a caravanner.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
He's no carfaced son of mine!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Waterbed posted:

Juniorish level experience content or combat design.

Edit: I have a strong background in competitive/multiplayer stuff though.

Edit with some other stuff: Willing to relocate to any major city really (international as well). Would heavily prefer to work on RPG, MMO or Fighting games or anything with heavy influence with those genres.

Dang that was a lot of edits. Sorry.

I think you might be coming off as a little bit scattershot. Maybe you need to refine what design role you are after. You mention level design, which is a whole different beast altogether. I get depressed when it is mentioned as some sort of bottom rung from which to leave later on when you find what you want. :smith:

I'm quite intent in being one for a very long time and is very much my passion. Personal irk, I apologise

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
It's true I'm from the future. You wouldn't believe how much better the coffee machines are there.

Fishbus posted:

I think you might be coming off as a little bit scattershot. Maybe you need to refine what design role you are after. You mention level design, which is a whole different beast altogether. I get depressed as it being used as some sort of bottom run from which to escape later on. :smith:

I'm quite intent in being one for a very long time and is very much my preferred role.

Noo, not level design. The sentence was worded poorly. Just content or combat. :( Juniorish level meaning experience/pay/title.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Waterbed posted:

It's true I'm from the future. You wouldn't believe how much better the coffee machines are there.

Noo, not level design. The sentence was worded poorly. Just content or combat. :(

ah I misread; quite a difference a capital letter makes. :)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fishbus posted:

ah I misread; quite a difference a capital letter makes. :)

Yeah, I could have phrased that sentence way better. Sorry.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Porksword posted:

https://www.tofubun.com

I'm moving back to London, hopefully can move around that area and stay put! I've got to say to those of you starting out or at at school, I don't envy you, its brutal at the moment for animators anyway, but just practice and the rest will follow. Just maybe install a caravan in your face.

Yeah I can tell from your reel that you've been contracting all over the place. Loads of different quick projects on it. I got lucky when I got a nice full time gig that I've been happily with for the past 4 years but it really sucked for a while there. Having no roots is fun at first but man it really sucks after a while.

I'm also noticing most of the folks here that are being employed left and right are either programming or asset creation/level design. Animation is bloated as gently caress in comparison so getting jobs in that can be rough unless you're a top dog.

Of course none of that even compares to Concept Design which is like being a loving highlander gladiator. May only the strongest survive.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Of course none of that even compares to Concept Design which is like being a loving highlander gladiator. May only the strongest survive.

I couldn't help but :ughh: when I came across a student about to graduate who wanted to become a Character Concept Artist and would accept nothing less. As in only designing characters, not implementing them or doing anything else that concept artists are expected to do like environments and items.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Aliginge posted:

I couldn't help but :ughh: when I came across a student about to graduate who wanted to become a Character Concept Artist and would accept nothing less. As in only designing characters, not implementing them or doing anything else that concept artists are expected to do like environments and items.

Translation: I love to doodle animes/space marines/Jack Skellington and that's about all I know how to do as an artist.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

hailthefish posted:

Translation: I love to doodle animes/space marines/Jack Skellington and that's about all I know how to do as an artist.

I can't believe the number of people I meet day after day who have no concept that they will have to be a bit open about the positions they apply for so they can break into the industry.

Less competition in an already crowded field I guess.

Porksword
Feb 9, 2009

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Yeah I can tell from your reel that you've been contracting all over the place. Loads of different quick projects on it. I got lucky when I got a nice full time gig that I've been happily with for the past 4 years but it really sucked for a while there. Having no roots is fun at first but man it really sucks after a while.

I'm also noticing most of the folks here that are being employed left and right are either programming or asset creation/level design. Animation is bloated as gently caress in comparison so getting jobs in that can be rough unless you're a top dog.

indeed, i am moving into rigging with a view to be more of a technical animator as its not as bloated, but it interests me aswell.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Mega Shark posted:

I can't believe the number of people I meet day after day who have no concept that they will have to be a bit open about the positions they apply for so they can break into the industry.

Less competition in an already crowded field I guess.

I guess you can say they are more no-concept artist and less concept artist amirite.

Ours are loving gods. Pity we 'lost' our best one to Blizzard. :smith:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'm thinking that if I can't get anything on animation I might go for UI art, there seem to be a lot of open positions for that and when I have done it in the past it is pretty enjoyable.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Hughlander posted:

I started in an ops type position (ESM) and now make FPSes all day. If it's what you want there are avenues. Particularly if you get into an MMO company. I took a 5% salary drop going from being a Tech Architect at EA in Redwood Shores to a Sr. Software Engineer at Westwood in Vegas, the cost of living change alone made up for that. :) So don't think you'll be losing a poo poo ton of money as well.

How did you go from ops to senior software engineer though? I'm slowly starting to build a portfolio of projects on github to show programming experience but I don't see how I could land a senior position right from the start.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!
Welp, just got the rejection letter. Bummer. Nearly 6 months of programming tests, emails, and phone screens. Sort of felt like they wanted to want me, but maybe I wasn't hitting the right buttons.

Tonight is time for a bit of scotch and some gaming. Tomorrow, the quest for a more fulfilling job continues.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Senso posted:

How did you go from ops to senior software engineer though? I'm slowly starting to build a portfolio of projects on github to show programming experience but I don't see how I could land a senior position right from the start.

Spot opened up on the MMO on the server team. I was already working with them to set up the monitoring and interviewed for it. It was considered an internal transfer and pretty easy all things considered.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Game Jobbers, I have been told we need people with da arts, da code and da design skills. It's for a AAA title, 3rd Person Action-Adventure on a Home Console. Unannounced, original IP.

We're looking for everything, but specifically important at the moment is Level Designer and Prop Artist.

If you have a seriously awesome portfolio or resume, e-mail me at pdriggett at the gmails.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Mega Shark posted:

Game Jobbers, I have been told we need people with da arts, da code and da design skills. It's for a AAA title, 3rd Person Action-Adventure on a Home Console. Unannounced, original IP.

We're looking for everything, but specifically important at the moment is Level Designer and Prop Artist.

If you have a seriously awesome portfolio or resume, e-mail me at pdriggett at the gmails.

It's roughly time you tell us where you work now, isn't it?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Or at least what state?

Also, to throw my two cents about Full Sail: I've heard one of the big problems over there is that they don't give any kind of preparation for actually getting a job. I hear people talking about full sail students showing up with resume's folded up in their pockets and stuff like that, terribly put-together portfolios, no idea of how to interview or present themselves...

The training might be good, but if their resume's and portfolios look like crap they'll never get a chance to prove it.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

GetWellGamers posted:

Or at least what state?

Also, to throw my two cents about Full Sail: I've heard one of the big problems over there is that they don't give any kind of preparation for actually getting a job. I hear people talking about full sail students showing up with resume's folded up in their pockets and stuff like that, terribly put-together portfolios, no idea of how to interview or present themselves...

The training might be good, but if their resume's and portfolios look like crap they'll never get a chance to prove it.

This is always baffling to me because they had an entire class devoted to that, including practice interviews with the teaching aids, building business cards, how to make contacts, and a bunch of other "get your first job" stuff.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

My feelings on Full Sail are odd because they changed so radically. When I visited and when I was attending, I thought it was the best thing ever. As time's passed, though, I've mellowed on it.

I did learn a lot there in a very short period of time. I do use things I learned there in my programming degree in my design job. The cross-training and software experience does help. The experience working in teams on deadlines was invaluable. I have a fancy bound design document that impressed my interviewers. I did eventually make it in to the job and position I wanted. I do know several other people from my class who are also gainfully employed in the industry, working at companies you know on games you've probably played.

However. My first core programming course in the curriculum had 55 people in it. 15 people made it from there to graduation on schedule. 10 of those people have held a job, any job, in the industry, and most of us who made it have degrees from other schools in addition to our Full Sail degrees. My friends who worked as TAs quickly learned that from the inside it's a business and not a school. Aside from one class that dealt with copyright law, very few of my non-core classes had any useful information at all. And, yes, I witnessed social promotion there.

So if I were making hiring decisions and I saw a Full Sail resume cross my desk, what would I think? If I saw another degree on there as well, I'd be encouraged. Otherwise I'd know that the person likely got to touch a lot of different systems but didn't get to go in-depth on them either. I'd know that they've worked in teams on tight deadlines. Ultimately it's probably a net positive, but I do know that some people with that degree didn't earn it.

So, like any other school, some people can hang and some people can't. Which is ultimately why I'd recommend a cheaper, broader, traditional education. You can use that money you save to buy a student license of any software you want to learn. You have to be exceptional to make it from this position, but you have to be exceptional to make it out of Full Sail, too.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

DancingMachine posted:

It's roughly time you tell us where you work now, isn't it?

I'm going to make sure tomorrow that the big bosses are cool with that since I'm mixing business with pleasure here a bit. For now I'll say Orange County, CA.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Oho, a local. You been by Beer Wednesday yet?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Crossposted from the Deus Ex thread.

People who have read all of that game design documentation = just him.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I'd love copies :allears:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Anyone here at Reflections in Newcastle?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

There's a beer Wednesday in Redmond. Are they related or anything?

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
So, I was basically reprogramming the XNA framework to get Bastion running on other platforms and just when I got it almost feature complete on graphics and having it pretty much completely playable aside from no audio and some very minor graphical hitches, they just announced Bastion for Chrome.

I'm wondering if I should continue. Would it be impressive at all if I can put on my portfolio that I got Bastion running on other platforms? It's kind of dejecting but I knew this could happen anyways. I'm just thinking if it'd be worth it to keep going.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I'd say do it.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Keep going for sure. If I got your resume I'd note it and we'd talk about it. (Unless the rest of your resume was unreadable and horrible)

Dr. Disco Quest
Mar 8, 2009
Has anyone here had any experience moving over to a dev job in the US on a H1B visa, and could perhaps share any insight in to this process and it's perils and pitfalls?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Mega Shark posted:

I'm going to make sure tomorrow that the big bosses are cool with that since I'm mixing business with pleasure here a bit. For now I'll say Orange County, CA.

Given the timing of your hire and the location, I'm pretty sure I know someone that was going for the same job :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Dr. Disco Quest posted:

Has anyone here had any experience moving over to a dev job in the US on a H1B visa, and could perhaps share any insight in to this process and it's perils and pitfalls?

I didn't move there for my last job because I was already there as a student, but first I got an OPT permit to work there as part of my studies with an F1 visa. A few months before that permit expired my employer went to talk with an immigration attorney and got him to file the H-1B visa. All I had to do was give them a bunch of documents and papers, so the process itself wasn't painful, only the wait was because I was uncertain of what was going to happen and it took several months.