Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Notably, The other Russain demo team, the Strizhi, uses Mig-29s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

iyaayas01 posted:

reminded me that The Four Horsemen were a demo team once.

60 seconds in... PERMABONER

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Goddamn I'd sell my left nut if we could get the Snowbirds into some airframes worthy of their skills. I'd love for them to get the hornets we'll retire when the JSF comes into service but those are some seriously old, taxed birds by this point.

EDIT: In that Four Horsemen video look how OLD those guys are to be Captains. Good lord.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 8, 2011

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MA-Horus posted:

EDIT: In that Four Horsemen video look how OLD those guys are to be Captains. Good lord.

I thought the same thing. Even if you go with some very generous assumptions for when they entered the military as far as the service in WWII that they referenced, by 1957 (the first year of the demo team) they would still be pushing the upper limit of today's standards for promotion from Captain to Major...and some of those dudes were a lot older than some 20 year old that entered the military during WWII.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^^Tactical expertise rather than "box-checking for promotion" used to be valued.

iyaayas01 posted:

However, this

Yes, that is a four ship C-130 demo team.

drat it, I was gonna post the Four Horsemen (I think this thread is what brought them to my attention in the first place).

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

PAK-FA?

Yup.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 8, 2011

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

iyaayas01 posted:

Yup. The end of Western Air Power as we know it has never looked so good.

When I first read this I immediately thought of the Thunderthuds and the F-4, but then I went and looked the dimensions up and holy poo poo...the Flanker is a seriously long aircraft. I've never seen one in person, so I guess I just never made the connection in my head with all the pictures I've seen. I mean, even if we played what if games and pretended the F-15 or F-14 was flown by a demo team, the Flanker would still have them by almost 10 feet on length and 8+ feet on wingspan (assuming we don't count the Tomcat with them fully extended with is sort of cheating).

However, this

Yes, that is a four ship C-130 demo team.

:aaaaa:

Good God what an amazing time to be alive. So damned casual about such mind blowing things... If it weren't for the constant threat of nuclear fire 90 minutes away, would have been the perfect time to be growing up.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Well, if it ran out of fuel and crashed, it was a very nice crash. Video of Iranians feeling up a Beast of Kandahar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16098562

Sure doesn't look like it ran into a mountain.

The color is surprising, looks like it is made out of quick-expanding foam. Wonder if that is a lowvis color, or if that is raw composite....or if they made it out of quick expanding foam.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's BS. A plane like that from us would be painted lowvis gray. And for having shot it down, it sure seems to be in decent shape.

In fact, it looks too small. Doesn't our plane have a wingspan a bit smaller than a Cessna? Certainly taller than what they are showing...

This is the same country who has an airforce that includes propeller-powered boats as seaplanes...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Did you read the link or watch the video?

They're claiming they didn't shoot it down. They're claiming the electronically hijacked it and took control of it. The condition it is in would "seem" to back it up, although I suspect they could have just got lucky with it coming down.

As for the color and size of it, since relatively is really known about it, it is all armchair conjecture.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sorry, just saw the article on Yahoo and came to post. Yahoo doesn't have a video, just an image that looks like a screenshot from a video, with a play button in the middle and everything.

The drone looks like it's only 3 feet tall. I don't think Iran could hijack it. Best guess would be watch it until it points a direction that is convenient to you and then jam the signal.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
It looks pretty much like these shots of one:
http://sitelife.aviationweek.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/12/0/fca4f5df-716d-48da-8015-58115b44dcac.Full.jpg
http://sitelife.aviationweek.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/13/7/6d98f77a-df5f-4c6b-b7b2-2d4ada6051c5.Full.jpg

Taken from this article: http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-01/beast-kandahar-quietly-resurfaces-new-pics

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If it's not gray, it's fake. If it were gray, that would be one less thing that's obviously wrong.

This video tells me Iran probably has not recovered any wreckage. They either found out one was missing through some kind of tip from someone involved in the program, or more likely they have someone sitting at the end of the runway counting airplanes as they take off, then counting them as they land.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The RQ-170's precurser, the Polecat, most deffinitly had a fail safe to fry its payload and autocrash on any type of severing of its connection back to base. We know that because... thats what it did during testing when the control trailer lost power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_Polecat

I'm sure the RQ-170 did too. I imagine it went down fairly hard, and the Iranians reconstructed the left over pieces and filled in the gaps with the internet pictures and local craftsman, hence the delay in releasing any pictures.

If it landed intact somewhere, you would release those pictures that day to proof how awesome you are (mostly to your own people).

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Godholio posted:

more likely they have someone sitting at the end of the runway counting airplanes as they take off, then counting them as they land.

Guys in lawnchairs?

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
It looks pretty real to me... I see no reason at all why it would be a fake. Its construction is too high-quality to be made from something as crude as expanding builder's foam, and it even has the same kind of drag rudders and other details present on other drones that I've seen.

Stealth is not all it's made out to be, and hopefully this will finally convince my country's MoD of just that.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Tsuru posted:

It looks pretty real to me... I see no reason at all why it would be a fake. Its construction is too high-quality to be made from something as crude as expanding builder's foam, and it even has the same kind of drag rudders and other details present on other drones that I've seen.

Stealth is not all it's made out to be, and hopefully this will finally convince my country's MoD of just that.
Perhaps this still from the Iranian press release will convince you:

If it landed, why set it on a box? Where is the landing gear?
If it crashed gear-up, where is the damage?
Not to mention this model is about 1/3 the size of the Polecat. poo poo, it's not even as large as a predator. Lockheed does a better job of taping seams, too.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I'd say it'd take me about a day to make that.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

grover posted:

Not to mention this model is about 1/3 the size of the Polecat. poo poo, it's not even as large as a predator. Lockheed does a better job of taping seams, too.

Okay yeah that definitely looks suspect. The bad looking bondo-esque job at the wing there plus what you mentioned makes me think it's just a shell with a part or two they may have found as wreckage somewhere. Explains the delay in actual footage of it.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Okay yeah that definitely looks suspect. The bad looking bondo-esque job at the wing there plus what you mentioned makes me think it's just a shell with a part or two they may have found as wreckage somewhere. Explains the delay in actual footage of it.

Someone else said it should be gray. Maybe they stuck it back together as best they could, including a new layer of paint, to make it look like they brought it down safely?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Boomerjinks posted:

Someone else said it should be gray. Maybe they stuck it back together as best they could, including a new layer of paint, to make it look like they brought it down safely?

That sounds plausible to me. Considering they immediately came out saying they hijacked it and everything was intact they couldn't show a gaping hole in the wing where AA or whatever hit it without looking silly/as cool as they wanted to.

Tricky bastards.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It looks like its the correct color.

Most of the images you get on a GIS for it are X-47s and stuff. Annoying.

Also looks to be the correct planform, and small details (the tiny bump on either side of the larger 'shoulder' satcom humps) seems to be there. Dunno, they may have gotten enough to get something meaningful out of it, but I highly doubt that anything in the payload (the actually goodies) survived. Otherwise it's just a flying wing Predator with an A-10 engine, something that Iran could build off pictures alone.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

grover posted:

Where can I get an American flag with skulls instead of stars? :black101:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

grover posted:

The thing was wrecked and I think you're seeing the product of the equivilant of an Iranian MAACO splash job.

quote:

I've heard that from a few people, do we have any photos of other drones next to people for scale? I heard someone say it should have an over 30M wingspan.. which is something like 100'. That seems awful big to me.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

slidebite posted:

The thing was wrecked and I think you're seeing the product of the equivilant of an Iranian MAACO splash job.

I've heard that from a few people, do we have any photos of other drones next to people for scale? I heard someone say it should have an over 30M wingspan.. which is something like 100'. That seems awful big to me.
That's because UAVs are every bit as large as their manned counterparts, and that's how large they need to be to fly their mission. For comparison, here's a reference photo of Global Hawk, US's other top-tier UAV.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It just seems entirely too done up to be the real drone. I look at something like the photos of the F-117 shootdown in Bosnia as a legitimate photo op. This just screams, "Look how great Iran is!"

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
No way in hell that's real.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

grover posted:

That's because UAVs are every bit as large as their manned counterparts, and that's how large they need to be to fly their mission. For comparison, here's a reference photo of Global Hawk, US's other top-tier UAV.

Wow, I had no idea the Hawk was so f'n huge.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Wow, I had no idea the Hawk was so f'n huge.
Modern aircraft are much larger than they look. There are often simply few points of reference. For instance

And the F-35 is a SMALL fighter by modern standards. The first generation UAV were little more than glorified RC planes, with performance that wasn't much more than RC plane performance either. They need to be much larger to carry high-resolution telephoto cameras and satellite uplinks, with enough fuel to loiter for 12 or more hours. Essentially, growing to the size of modern fighters.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Boomerjinks posted:

That'd be pretty counterproductive. Aside from shooting yourself in the foot in the propaganda game (because it looks fake as HELL) you also waste time trying to reassemble it for a press conference when you should be dissecting it to learn something, and you're running the risk of causing further damage.

Iran isn't stupid, despite their best efforts to appear that way EVERY TIME they release a photo of how awesome they are.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I'm sure the telemetry and extra fuel more than make up pilot and HVAC savings. Really, your savings (weight and money) are in the fact that if it gets shot down, it's merely a blurb on the news. No need for protection against battle damage or the ability to pull 9 Gs without airframe fatigue.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

grover posted:

Modern aircraft are much larger than they look. There are often simply few points of reference. For instance

And the F-35 is a SMALL fighter by modern standards. The first generation UAV were little more than glorified RC planes, with performance that wasn't much more than RC plane performance either. They need to be much larger to carry high-resolution telephoto cameras and satellite uplinks, with enough fuel to loiter for 12 or more hours. Essentially, growing to the size of modern fighters.

Hell, an Su-35 is basically as long as a B-17.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It can carry a good deal more ordinance too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

grover posted:

I knew they were big, as in, full manned AC big, but I didn't know it was that big. Do we know for a fact that the RQ-170 is that big as well? I suppose even if it is smaller, that Iranian thing seems too small.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

slidebite posted:

I knew they were big, as in, full manned AC big, but I didn't know it was that big. Do we know for a fact that the RQ-170 is that big as well? I suppose even if it is smaller, that Iranian thing seems too small.
It's hard to get a sense of scale from other purported RQ-170 photos, but it doesn't look as big as Global Hawk. Wikipedia estimates were 46–90' wingspan before the article got corrupted with data inferred from the Iranian mockup. If it's powered from a TF34 turbofan as reported by Aviation Week (same engine as A-10 Warthog & S-3 Viking), that places a hard minimum size on it. Picture the engine pod of an A-10 in there:

Edit: TF34 turbofan photos

grover fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 9, 2011

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

grover posted:

It's hard to get a sense of scale from other purported RQ-170 photos, but it doesn't look as big as Global Hawk. Wikipedia estimates were 46–90' wingspan before the article got corrupted with data inferred from the Iranian mockup. If it's powered from a TF34 turbofan as reported by Aviation Week (same engine as A-10 Warthog & S-3 Viking), that places a hard minimum size on it. Picture the engine pod of an A-10 in there:

Edit: TF34 turbofan photos

The wheels on the landing gear looks too big relative to the rest of it to be 90' wingspan...to me. But I am bad at that sort of thing.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Slo-Tek posted:

The wheels on the landing gear looks too big relative to the rest of it to be 90' wingspan...to me. But I am bad at that sort of thing.
That's my thoughts as well. What's the standard height of a runway light?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Where do they usually operate them out of? Perhaps they went with oversize wheels so it could be used on unprepared surfaces.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

grover posted:

According to a quick google, that engine is 102" (8.5') long itself. Assuming it starts pretty close to behind the intake and tapers off, that fusalage is probably at least 12 if not 13+ long.

Does the main part of the fuselage look more than twice as long as those Iranian guys are tall?

Darn hard to tell, but it might be close.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

gently caress the Po-lice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

grover posted:

Convince me of what, exactly? That it does not matter what size or colour it is? The thing with UAV designs is that they scale really really well to suit a particular task, because there is no fleshy bit in the front of a given size. This moves your design starting point to the designed range/fuel capacity and the amount of payload that it has to carry. Given that this particular example was flown from Afghanistan to Iran and not from a base in the USA like a Global Hawk or a Polecat actually convinces me that the size of this thing looks pretty spot-on. Its comparative size to the taxiway lights in the other pictures also confirms that the size matches.

As for the seams and the drapes, it simply makes it look like the Iranians propped up a damaged aircraft as best they could to convince people who are not familiar with aircraft that they captured a fully intact UAV, but it looks to me they are trying to hide the fact that this plane will never fly again, and that they failed to preserve its most valuable component, the sensor suite.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 9, 2011