Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I just hope that Mazda can keep the driving dynamics in the 2 with the increased fuel economy, because everything I've read about it is that it's just fun as hell to drive, akin to a 4th generation Civic Si.

Remember JukeChat all those pages ago? And the Juke-R? Well, it turns out that top execs at Nissan Japan were a little pissed about the R being developed behind their backs. But come on, man, how could anyone be upset about a Juke with the engine of a loving GT-R?

Come on, admit it, this thing is rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The video in that link looks like they're testing at the Top Gear track. I would asume then that the boys have had a go with it, hope we get a cool segment out of it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
It is in fact, rad as gently caress. However, I think that track is some internal configuration at Silverstone.

I still hope the Top Gear guys get their hands on one. Preferably Clarkson, as he seems to love the GT-R, but I'm sure he thinks the Juke is hideous and stupid.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
To be fair the Juke is hideous

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pseudonym posted:

I'm so jaded. I remember seeing the concept car at the Philly auto show many years ago for what became the Infiniti EX. It looked like a bad rear end terminator style assault vehicle. How was it released? As 'meh" at best.

This is not a unique experience for me.

So, whatever.

Release one in mass production and I'll be impressed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The question is why wouldn't you just buy the GT-R?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

leica posted:

Wait for the Mazda2 to get the Skyactive motor then it should be rated at 40 or better. The Mazda3 isn't much more expensive and is already being offered with the Skyactive and is rated at 40mpg.

Has this been announced somewhere or just speculation?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TLG James posted:

Has this been announced somewhere or just speculation?

I read it somewhere, don't remember where. It would be a logical progression, the Mazda2 is their most economical car, you would think they'd want their most economical engine in it so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't happen.

Fake edit: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/10/facelifted-mazda2-with-skyactiv-1-3l-revealed-in-japan/

Looks very likely, 58 mpg is drat good if that's accurate

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 9, 2011

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

leica posted:

Fake edit: http://carguideblog.com/16493/2012-mazda2-skyactive-13liter-engine-revealed-demio/

Looks very likely, 58 mpg is drat good if that's accurate
I'm fairly certain Mazda won't bring that engine to North America. The 2 isn't selling that well; doubt they'd invest in certifications. The next gen car should have all the SkyActiv stuff.

TLG James posted:

Anyone have a comparison between the mazda2 and the hyundai accent hatchback? I know they're both boring eco boxes, but I'm seriously wondering if the accent is hitting 40 mpg. The mazda2 is at 35mpg.
I did test drive an Accent but ended up buying a 2. The Hyundai didn't feel any quicker despite having about 40 more horsepower and it didn't handle nearly as well. It does feel like a bigger car though, if you like that kind of thing for highway driving. I think part of the reason the Hyundai is rated so well for fuel economy is that it has a shift light. The EPA takes that into account for their tests, but nobody who actually buys the car is shifting into 4th at 15 mph.

The 2 isn't as boring as you'd expect an economy car to be. I've had mine for 4 months and put almost 5k miles on it. The steering, brakes, and gearbox are all excellent and it rides fairly well for being such a small car. It's about as fun as you can expect a cheap and simple daily driver to be. I'm getting 35-38 mpg and most of that is spent going up and down hills at 70+ mph or in traffic. Bet I could hit 40 mpg if I wasn't in Southern California.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, I just dug through the spec sheets on Mazda's Japanese site - that 1.3L Skyactiv is only good for 62 kW (about 83hp). The current US-market 2 has 100hp, and while I think it's a riot, I also think there needs to be a hot hatch version with more power, not less. No matter the fuel economy, an 83hp hatch will be an extremely hard sell in the US; I think as it is the US 2 is one of the lowest-horsepower vehicles for sale today in the states. The Smart ForTwo makes less but look how well that piece of poo poo sells.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

Pseudonym posted:

I just hope that Mazda can keep the driving dynamics in the 2 with the increased fuel economy, because everything I've read about it is that it's just fun as hell to drive, akin to a 4th generation Civic Si.

Remember JukeChat all those pages ago? And the Juke-R? Well, it turns out that top execs at Nissan Japan were a little pissed about the R being developed behind their backs. But come on, man, how could anyone be upset about a Juke with the engine of a loving GT-R?

I could understand the brass at Nissan getting upset because it has potential to encroach on the GT-R's performance figures a bit, which can be equated to how GM killed the Typhoon prematurely in the early 90s because people said it was as fast as a Corvette, which as the brand's flagship is a big no-no.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Yeticopter posted:

I could understand the brass at Nissan getting upset because it has potential to encroach on the GT-R's performance figures a bit, which can be equated to how GM killed the Typhoon prematurely in the early 90s because people said it was as fast as a Corvette, which as the brand's flagship is a big no-no.

Didn't the WS6 Firebird have around the same horsepower and speed as a Corvette, so they just lied and understated the amount of horses the WS6 had?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Heard today that Toyota & BMW have been swapping phone numbers, with BMW getting a plateful of Hybrid & High-Voltage data & technology, Toyota getting 1.6 & 2L Diesel engines, thank god.

Toyota Diesel engines are pretty poor, like 5-10 years behind the curve poor. Noisy, burn oil, slow, unrefined, lumpy, not really efficient, just overall lovely.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Really?

Whats wrong with the 2.2 in the Rav 4? Seems to perform better than a 2l Tiguan and its certainly rated better for economy.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Hashal posted:

Didn't the WS6 Firebird have around the same horsepower and speed as a Corvette, so they just lied and understated the amount of horses the WS6 had?

Yep. IIRC, the WS6 just had a different air intake than the base Trans Am/Firebird/Z28. 2001-2002 gave them all a better intake manifold. I remember reading about 'factory freaks' when they were still fresh that would hit 290-310whp off the showroom floor, even with the Formula/Z28/Trans AM models.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Better intake manifold was the stock LS6 piece. It actually also had to do with the fact that '01-'02 F-car LS1s actually have a smaller cam than the '98-'00 cars, but that smaller cam allowed them to eliminate EGR. The LS6 intake manifold went on because it already had the EGR port removed, plus making up the power lost by the smaller cam. The goal of 'limiting' power on the F-car was also pushed because the fourthgen wasn't much fatter than a C4 or C5 Corvette.

Times have changed, though. The fifthgen is a lot fatter than a C6. Ford is doing all sorts of obscene and amazing things to the S197. GM does keep the LS9 exclusive to the ZR1, but now there's no problem with putting the LSA in the CTS-V or ZL1.

I do wish the LS7 had shown up in places other than the Z06, though. 7.0L :flashfap:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

dissss posted:

Really?

Whats wrong with the 2.2 in the Rav 4? Seems to perform better than a 2l Tiguan and its certainly rated better for economy.

In the avensis, the 2.2 is louder, rattlier, burns more oil, burns more fuel & make barely more power than the 2.0. Compare the 2.0 to the same offering from volvo, ford, vauxhall, vw, honda, nissan, they're all quieter, smoother, make better real world economy in the same segment vehicle.

Lease avensis' where I work go back with approx 15000 miles on them, with a service at 10000 miles, often the dipstick is bone dry when the car is returned (5k miles after a service) because no one checks the oil on a lease car. More than a litre of oil burnt in 5k miles?

Noise is partly sound insulation problems but the engines are harsh at any speed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
First sighting for me in the flesh. A few items caught my attention and made it worthy of putting here than the cellphone thread.

That upper rear window seems so inefficient, but I guess it'd be even worse to not have it.

This probably represents the color the best:

I think they used it on the first year Genesis Coupe, too. Really lovely and rich in person, with an undercurrent of gold. I think it outdoes the Mazda 2 version of this green.

This is a design detail that I'd missed before:

The sculpturig in the headlights is good, too.

This is something I haven't seen before:

Corrugated ribs on the inside fenders. Is this something new cars have? I assume it either keeps dirt from sticking or makes it easier to break off stuck dirt.

This one was a manual. I should stalk the owner and talk to him/her about it.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
That looks like a great little sports box except for the green on the wheels. I hope its fun to drive too!

Should I be worried that if Hyundai and Kia's keep getting better and more desirable the price will naturally rise leaving a gap for cheap Chinese cars?

My lord, these look bad. Even the ones that are almost direct knocks offs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tobu posted:

That looks like a great little sports box except for the green on the wheels.

It looked like the color accents are removeable, so you can get different colors or take them off.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Cakefool posted:

In the avensis, the 2.2 is louder, rattlier, burns more oil, burns more fuel & make barely more power than the 2.0. Compare the 2.0 to the same offering from volvo, ford, vauxhall, vw, honda, nissan, they're all quieter, smoother, make better real world economy in the same segment vehicle.

Interesting. Where I am the only small Toyota diesels we get are the 1.4 in the Corolla (which is pretty grim) and the 2.2 in the Rav 4.

I guess the 2l in the Holden Cruze (and some Hyundais) is a different unit to what you'd find in a Vauxhall? That's the only modern diesel I've found annoyingly unrefined.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

tobu posted:

Should I be worried that if Hyundai and Kia's keep getting better and more desirable the price will naturally rise leaving a gap for cheap Chinese cars?

I'm curious about this too. It seems to be the natural way things progress. But I feel that the only reason it is natural is because it is an effect of the way that business schools teach people to run businesses. A lot of the business theory that I've heard is that you should always be looking to go up-market because the profit margins are better up there. Once you get there, it makes sense to cut your lower market businesses because they are under-performing compared to the high-margin segments (trim the fat).

That being said, the automotive industry is very saturated these days, much more than they were when the Japanese companies began competing in the U.S. Enough of these companies have small enough market shares in the U.S. (Honda, Subaru, Nissan, etc.)that I believe there will continue to be stiff enough competition in the entry level market for some years to come.

It is possible that the Chinese may make their entry into the U.S. market via niche-market cars rather than with entry-level cars. Porsche made high-margin sports cars for decades before branching out and selling sedans and rebadged VW SUVs. Subaru did something similar to some extent, they gained in market share by specializing in making the best all-weather vehicles you could buy and concentrating their sales in the Rockies and New England markets.

If any Chinese companies penetrate the U.S. automobile market significantly, it will be because they paid their way by buying an established company (Volvo), or because they did something innovative, such as combining technology in a way that hasn't been done yet.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 11, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

oRenj9 posted:

It is possible that the Chinese may make their entry into the U.S. market via niche-market cars rather than with entry-level cars. Porsche made high-margin sports cars for decades before branching out and selling sedans and rebadged VW SUVs. Subaru did something similar to some extent, they gained in market share by specializing in making the best all-weather vehicles you could buy and concentrating their sales in the Rockies and New England markets.

Chinese cars come way more entry level that anything out of Korea or Japan though.

I could see them slotting in with cheap, tiny, poorly built city cars as even though the market in the US for them is small no one is competing there now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dissss posted:

I could see them slotting in with cheap, tiny, poorly built city cars as even though the market in the US for them is small no one is competing there now.

Arguably, the entire used car market is competing in that slot.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There is little business case for exporting cars from China to developed markets really. Car making is pretty capital intensive, especially if you consider the huge R&D costs of developing a modern car and engine. Lower labour costs in China, and they aren't even that low any more, don't really give them much of an advantage. Why bother when markets like America and Europe show so little consumption growth anyway?

With the way things are adjusting in the US and Europe - depreciating currencies, falling labour costs(how many years of high unemployment can they take?), stagnant domestic demand, companies like GM and VW are going to be doing very well exporting to places like China. Yes, China still has tariffs but they are coming down. The tariff on parts is already gone so most of their joint venture assembly plants are making cars with upward of 60% imported parts. 60% of Chevrolets sold are sold outside the US, even higher for Buick. I doubt that anyone at GM or VW are seriously worried about any Chinese competition in their home markets.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
BMW has finally made a car that I don't think looks like Amy Winehouse. It's not exactly without borrowed inspiration in its design, but I'm just happy they gave up on the stupid curvy headlamps. So much better this way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Not seeing the point of the 6 GC. It's competing against the Mercedes CLS, right? Well, they're just a little late to the game, since the CLS has been around for over six years, and VW beat them to it with the Passat CC in '08.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

Left Ventricle posted:

Not seeing the point of the 6 GC. It's competing against the Mercedes CLS, right? Well, they're just a little late to the game, since the CLS has been around for over six years, and VW beat them to it with the Passat CC in '08.

What country do you live in where a Passat is comparable to a 6 series?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Yeticopter posted:

What country do you live in where a Passat is comparable to a 6 series?
America, land of historically terrible cars. My point is the CC looks a hell of a lot like the CLS, close enough to fool the casual passer-by. Even setting the CC aside, BMW is trying to get into a segment that has been a one-car race for six years. They and Audi (A7) are a little late to that, and I don't see this as anything other than another ill-conceived cash grab attempt, much like the 5 GT.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Left Ventricle posted:

America, land of historically terrible cars. My point is the CC looks a hell of a lot like the CLS, close enough to fool the casual passer-by. Even setting the CC aside, BMW is trying to get into a segment that has been a one-car race for six years. They and Audi (A7) are a little late to that, and I don't see this as anything other than another ill-conceived cash grab attempt, much like the 5 GT.

I don't see what time has to do with anything. The point of the car is there are people that will buy and and provide a profit for BMW. If there wasn't, they wouldn't make it. Of course it's a cash grab; what other reason would there be to do it? I'm always for more competition in any given market.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Mr.Peabody posted:

BMW has finally made a car that I don't think looks like Amy Winehouse. It's not exactly without borrowed inspiration in its design, but I'm just happy they gave up on the stupid curvy headlamps. So much better this way.

I was wondering when BMW was going to make a model to compete in this segment. It looks good. I'm glad they kept cues from the front end of the current 6 series. It's the only decent part of probably the ugliest BMW ever produced. I think the A7 trumped the MBZ with its styling and technology. It seems like the bimmer will give the Audi a run for its money.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
One thing I never got I guess, what exactly is that segment, just below flagship sedan but sportier or something?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

japtor posted:

One thing I never got I guess, what exactly is that segment, just below flagship sedan but sportier or something?

The are hatchback versions of midsize(5 series/A6/E-class) sedans and cost quite a bit more than the standard sedan, although usually they are better equipped.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
What about the CLS (cause that doesn't seem to be a hatch going by pictures)?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Throatwarbler posted:

The are hatchback versions of midsize(5 series/A6/E-class) sedans and cost quite a bit more than the standard sedan, although usually they are better equipped.

Um, only one of them (the A7) is actually a hatch. The CLS and 6 GC are just really stylish sedans.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The CLS is a fastback, the 6 GC is a notchback, the 5 GT, A7 and A5 Sportback are hatchbacks. v:downs:v

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Throatwarbler posted:

The CLS is a fastback, the 6 GC is a notchback

So... not hatches. Awesome.

quote:

the 5 GT, A7 and A5 Sportback are hatchbacks. v:downs:v

ok, I think we're pretty square on the A7 being a hatch at this point. But the 5 GT isn't remotely the same kind of vehicle as the CLS and 6 GC. Like, not even a little bit, it's just some weird automotive platypus. A5 is debatable, it doesn't share a lot of the common elements of that segment of cars.

Anyway, to answer the other guys question. The marketing departments seem to have decided these things should be called 4 door Coupes. If you look at the CLS/6GC/A7 they share certain qualities. They're a normal sedan, restyled to be more sporty/swoopy looking, sold at a premium with a 2+2 seating configuration.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

angryhampster posted:

Agreed. The new Durangos are also gorgeous, inside and out.

The new Grand Cherokee got the same treatment as well. My parents just bought an '12 GC, black with the saddle interior. It's a gorgeous car. They originally wanted the 3.6L, thankfully the dealer could only hunt down a 5.7L HEMI so that's what they ended up with. Not too much speed (even with 360hp/390lb-ft) but plenty of class, unlike my girlfriend's '08 GC, which has neither.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Q_res posted:

So... not hatches. Awesome.

ok, I think we're pretty square on the A7 being a hatch at this point. But the 5 GT isn't remotely the same kind of vehicle as the CLS and 6 GC. Like, not even a little bit, it's just some weird automotive platypus. A5 is debatable, it doesn't share a lot of the common elements of that segment of cars.

Anyway, to answer the other guys question. The marketing departments seem to have decided these things should be called 4 door Coupes. If you look at the CLS/6GC/A7 they share certain qualities. They're a normal sedan, restyled to be more sporty/swoopy looking, sold at a premium with a 2+2 seating configuration.

Maybe it's more correct to call the A7 a "liftback". This is far more time than I've ever spent thinking about these boring old man cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Throatwarbler posted:

Maybe it's more correct to call the A7 a "liftback". This is far more time than I've ever spent thinking about these boring old man cars.

Blasphemy! I'm 27 and would rock the A7 all day long... Walk into a dealer and just sit in one and tell me you wouldn't. If you can test drive one and tell me you wouldn't, I'd take away your AI card...