Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

It's counting down and it's a looping gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It doesn't loop. It's stopping at two ticks before starting over at the III for a reason.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Chunky12345 posted:

It doesn't loop. It's stopping at two ticks before starting over at the III for a reason.

And that reason is? I mean it's 4am here and I need to go to bed but it sure as hell looks to me that the clock is ticking down, giving Hussietron 3/4ths of a nanosecond to mess with John and Jade before the gif loops. If something else is going on here, please tell me.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
That is a very large warehouse.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

And that reason is? I mean it's 4am here and I need to go to bed but it sure as hell looks to me that the clock is ticking down, giving Hussietron 3/4ths of a nanosecond to mess with John and Jade before the gif loops. If something else is going on here, please tell me.

You're overthinking it. The reason is just that the gif technically loops, but it's not meant to suggest that the clock is looping. So there's a little break where the hand freezes before the animation starts over.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

You're overthinking it. The reason is just that the gif technically loops, but it's not meant to suggest that the clock is looping. So there's a little break where the hand freezes before the animation starts over.

I'm not saying the clock is looping, I'm saying the gif is looping. I don't see where I said that.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
He totally stole that watch from Scratch's manor.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I'm not saying the clock is looping, I'm saying the gif is looping. I don't see where I said that.

You didn't; but the gif did confuse at least one person, so I guess it was worth pointing out anyway.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

CLOCKS DESTROYED: 1001/1002

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Ubik posted:

CLOCKS DESTROYED: 1001/1002

I really hope he puts this gag to use again here.
In the fraction of a nanosecond in which Hussie goes to meddle in John's and Jade's affairs, a wounded Slick crawls in from offscreen to smash his timepiece...

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Android Blues posted:

Yeah but then it goes back to three again! And the distance between I and III is the same as the distance between II and I! It's like, the farther it travels, the more fluid time becomes!

Wait.

This is a Furthest Ring stopwatch.

It's pretty standard for timers to stop at the point they stopped, in this case because it has to go 3 > 2 > 1 > 0. Would probably make more sense if the end point showed a zero but roman numerals can't do that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Android Blues posted:

That clock is going II > I > III. :confused:

Wait. No. I get how time works. Never mind. It's still a weird clock though - WAIT. It IS going II > I > III. God I am so tired. I don't understand anything anymore. What is time? What is space? I know only that their confluence makes this terrible, mind-rattling edifice revolve around and around its own unknowable secrets.

You're not crazy, he edited the gif. When it first went up, the I was on the right, II on the left, but the hand was still moving the same way it is now.

e/ It was also going much, much faster before.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

You're not crazy, he edited the gif. When it first went up, the I was on the right, II on the left, but the hand was still moving the same way it is now.

e/ It was also going much, much faster before.

Thank God! I'm not crazy or stupid. I was beginning to think I might be both! Thanks though seriously, I was puzzled. :)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cleretic posted:

So this is somewhere between 'fanart' and 'actual content'. Bowman made a music video for Fly, off Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUDkBTYWtGk

I like it.

This kind of got buried by update chat, but it's pretty great. The bit with WV is just so much :3:

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I was going to post this yesterday, but I got distracted by all the updates. I have to say that any page in Homestuck book 1 that involves Dad has the best Hussie commentary. Like this page

Andrew Hussie posted:

In truth, Dad has never been more proud of his son. A toilet in the backyard is a top notch shenanigan for an aspiring prankster. A single tear beads at the corner of his nonexistent eye.

Or this page.

Andrew Hussie posted:

This is not the first time John's Dad has encountered a bath tub in the hallway. Not even close.

Oh Andrew, never change. :allears:

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

Boneless Jogger posted:

I was going to post this yesterday, but I got distracted by all the updates. I have to say that any page in Homestuck book 1 that involves Dad has the best Hussie commentary.

I don't have my copy of the book yet, but I think my favorite bit of commentary is during the Strife, on page 48. That one legitimately made me laugh out loud.

E: VVV Yes, there's non-humorous/informative commentary as well.

First Spear fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 9, 2011

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Hussie's a jokester, and I wouldn't change that, but is there any commentary in the book that isn't of a humorous nature? I realize Act 1 is still in the comic's prime and is very gag oriented, but I'd be interested in any serious thoughts he had about the comic's direction.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Lord of Laughton posted:

Hussie's a jokester, and I wouldn't change that, but is there any commentary in the book that isn't of a humorous nature? I realize Act 1 is still in the comic's prime and is very gag oriented, but I'd be interested in any serious thoughts he had about the comic's direction.

I don't have it, but I suspect he'd be hesitant to include commentary that would necessarily include details about future events, since he wants the books to be able to stand as their own product and get people to read who otherwise might not.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Lord of Laughton posted:

There's commentary on every page, so a lot of it is jokes. However, there is a decent amount of informative commentary as well. To name one example, he was originally going to have all the kids have telescopes (instead of just John and Rose) to fit in with the astronomy theme of the story and to give them sneak peeks at things like Skaia, the Veil, etc. but that plan changed.

MrBims posted:

I don't have it, but I suspect he'd be hesitant to include commentary that would necessarily include details about future events, since he wants the books to be able to stand as their own product and get people to read who otherwise might not.

Actually he doesn't shy away much from that. He's usually vague enough that new readers would have no idea what the hell he's talking about, though.

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 9, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009

MrBims posted:

He mentions Rose/Dave/Jade before the reader finds out their names, and he mentions the trolls as well as Karkat. While he doesn't spell out the story completely he doesnt shy away from it.

He mentions how he wanted the bunny to be a big part of the story, even if he wasnt sure how yet. Theres some other bits but I havent gotten through the whole book yet.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

Thanks for the info. A definite buy now. Before it was only 99%.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I only got into Homestuck this summer, so its really interesting when he talks about the early days for me. He mentions how John Egbert was the first name suggestion, and that Rose, Dave, and Jade were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th respectively (good thing they were decent suggestions I guess!).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KoB posted:

I only got into Homestuck this summer, so its really interesting when he talks about the early days for me. He mentions how John Egbert was the first name suggestion, and that Rose, Dave, and Jade were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th respectively (good thing they were decent suggestions I guess!).

A vaguely amusing bit of trivia that I've mentioned before is that Dave Strider was actually the second valid name suggested (Andrew counted "Goats Eman" as a valid name, which both has five letters and wouldn't be used for other obvious reasons). Dave's name "should" have been Chad Buskin. I'm glad we got what we did.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Renaissance Robot posted:

This kind of got buried by update chat, but it's pretty great. The bit with WV is just so much :3:

I completely missed that the first time, so thanks for quoting it again. And Cleretic for posting it. And Bowman for making it. It feels like my brain on drugs. More, and better, drugs.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Ignore me.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 10, 2011

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

This panel of all the dead characters is mesmerizing. Also, it finally confirms that Nepeta is dead. :downs:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Lord of Laughton posted:

This panel of all the dead characters is mesmerizing. Also, it finally confirms that Nepeta is dead. :downs:

We had confirmation when her severed head was sitting on a table.

Also, Wolfhead is confirmed to be sad.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

We had confirmation when her severed head was sitting on a table.

Also, Wolfhead is confirmed to be sad.

When was this? I just got into MSPA this week, and 4000 pages in a few days might've broken my brain a little.

Also, I kind of wonder what happened to Davesprite and the rest of the Kernelsprites. Would a universe being destroyed effect someone with the power of Jadebecsprite?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Pester posted:

When was this? I just got into MSPA this week, and 4000 pages in a few days might've broken my brain a little.

[S] Flip

quote:

Also, I kind of wonder what happened to Davesprite and the rest of the Kernelsprites. Would a universe being destroyed effect someone with the power of Jadebecsprite?

Were you not paying attention to the Cascade flash?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Pester posted:

During [S] Flip, the glitchy one. It appears briefly and horribly artifacted, along with Tavros', Equius', Feferi's and Eridan's heads.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
<--

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
It just occurred to me that the new session will include a third version of the carapace creatures including Spades Slick, and possibly Warweary Villein. (Although we don't know if WV's behavior is recurrent or not.) I wonder if they will be relevant at all or if they'll simply be crushed underfoot with the power games played by all the god-teirs and LE?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Pester posted:

Davesprite, Nannasprite and Jaspersprite were all chilling on the battlefield in Cascade, which Jade wound up shrinking and carrying with her. Also, Jadesprite merged with Jade when she went godtier. So, that's where they all are: they are either Jade, or on the battlefield with Jade.

I just got Homestuck Book One, doodled, and I'm sending it to a friend of mine who has been slowly going through Homestuck. She's more of a book person and I think she'd appreciate the commentary, but she's in the middle of act 3 now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don't know what to think anymore. I'm all "haha oh assassination attempts? What WHACKY hijinks will occur based on that conc-:stare:"

Maybe Huggy Bear flashstep saved her? Maybe? :(

Jawat
Feb 7, 2010

WELCOME TO THE DARK CARNIVAL, BROTHER.
:oD
It seems like people missed the most disturbing revelation in the death-list panel.

Look below Dave's head.

Cal isn't just an inanimate object, he's *ALIVE*. :stare:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Jawat posted:

Cal isn't just an inanimate object, he's *ALIVE*. :stare:

What, you didn't know that before? Cal is ever-living.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So that's what a God Tier level up looks like. Neat.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Update. Whoa, those are some fancy new god tiers.

Edit: also I think one of my favorite parts of Jade's god tier costume design are the ruby slippers. I didn't really notice the connection at first :downs:

KoB
May 1, 2009
Wasnt there a conversation here just the other week about whether there were different levels of god-tier? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Update! Take THAT, multiple God tiers naysayers!