Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Turkeybone posted:

Or.. you can harvest some duck fat and render it and just roast some potato wedges/quarters. Make at least ONE item a no brainer, make it easy on yourself.

Potatoes with duck fat are God's way of showing he loves us a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

Potatoes with duck fat are God's way of showing he loves us a lot.

Oh I thought that was the prostate orgasm.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah duck fat potatoes are god's way of killing us deliciously.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh I thought that was the prostate orgasm.

It's what I use the leftover spuds for :3:

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

With recipes like Chili, Lentil stuff, curry etc. I always put an extra onion and if it calls for Garlic, an extra clove or two. Am I ruining everything? I would just stop but I can't taste the garlic and I just goddamn love onions.

maybe I should start making delicate tasting stuff?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You are doing nothing wrong.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I don't think I've ever not added at least an extra clove of garlic to something calling for garlic. Don't feel bad.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mofette posted:

With recipes like Chili, Lentil stuff, curry etc. I always put an extra onion and if it calls for Garlic, an extra clove or two. Am I ruining everything? I would just stop but I can't taste the garlic and I just goddamn love onions.
As Kenning and Wiggles have said, this is the sort of thing that it's pretty much always fine to fiddle around with.

I'd actually go a little further and say that you should fiddle around with it. With aromatics like garlic, onions, celery and so on, as wells as with most spices, the amount of `oomph' in them will depend on a lot of things---growing conditions, age of the ingredient, how it was stored, and so on. So no two cloves of garlic are going to have the same amount of `garlicness' in them. So you should pretty much always be willing to sample and adjust as you're cooking to get the flavour you're going for.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mofette posted:

What they said, but I'm going to throw this out there, at the risk of offending you. Sometimes the reason one couldn't taste the spices or aromatics in food, even though there is plenty in there, is because it's under-seasoned.
I used to be guilty of drastically under-seasoning; I thought that salt was somehow beneath good food -just because so much lovely food is oversalted. I still under-season a little though.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

quote:

I don't think I've ever not added at least an extra head of garlic to something calling for garlic. Don't feel bad.

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Very Strange Things posted:

What they said, but I'm going to throw this out there, at the risk of offending you. Sometimes the reason one couldn't taste the spices or aromatics in food, even though there is plenty in there, is because it's under-seasoned.
I used to be guilty of drastically under-seasoning; I thought that salt was somehow beneath good food -just because so much lovely food is oversalted. I still under-season a little though.

No offending me, I never ever ever add salt, other than to lovely pasta packets for some texture, or to risotto for the same or when seasoning steak/beef/pork. I will start and see if it has any impact. It has been ingrained in us that SALT. IS. BAD.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mofette posted:

No offending me, I never ever ever add salt, other than to lovely pasta packets for some texture, or to risotto for the same or when seasoning steak/beef/pork. I will start and see if it has any impact. It has been ingrained in us that SALT. IS. BAD.

Woah what now? Not eating salt will kill you really dead. We need salt. Always use salt.

Edit: You add salt for texture? I am so confused.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Woah what now? Not eating salt will kill you really dead. We need salt. Always use salt.

Edit: You add salt for texture? I am so confused.

I think that person believes that salt is one of those packs of silica beads put in many things to keep them dry. For texture.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mofette posted:

Packets of pasta have more salt than a whole big giant meal of not-processed food though!

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I think that person believes that salt is one of those packs of silica beads put in many things to keep them dry. For texture.

Well gently caress, that's where I've been going wrong.

Seriously though, my grinders always seem to put rocks on stuff rather than a dusting, I will look into this and start seasoning properly. Thanks for the hints!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PSA: Grant Achatz's opinions on salt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1lnmHMplmg#t=1m55s

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
For anyone curious about the effect of salt on flavour, make a sauce or a soup or something---something easy to mix together after you adjust an ingredient. Start out with no salt and taste it. Add a little tiny pinch of salt and taste it again, add another little pinch and taste, and so on. What you'll notice is that it goes something like bland, bland, bland, bland, getting better, better, really loving good, too salty. And until the `too salty' stage you really don't notice the salt. Unless you're making salt water or something.

Soups with greens in them---like a broccoli soup or something like that---are really good to try this with. It's like a loving magic trick the first time you do it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I heard about doing that with salt and vinegar. It was a four-part thing. Take 4 containers, ABCD, of sauce X. Add salt, a little at a time, to container B, until it's too salty. Add the amount of salt just before "too salty" to container D. Then add vinegar, a little at a time, to container C. Then add the amount just before "too sour" to container D. Then taste D against A. It's supposed to teach you the value of salt and acid in making food actually taste good.

Mofette posted:

Well gently caress, that's where I've been going wrong.

Seriously though, my grinders always seem to put rocks on stuff rather than a dusting, I will look into this and start seasoning properly. Thanks for the hints!

Unless you have a pre-existing medical condition, your body will pass any excess salt you consume in your urine. Eat salt! Eat lots of salt! The only reason people have convinced you that salt is unhealthy is to sell you low-sodium poo poo food! Also if you mostly make your own food and stay away from poo poo like Slim Jims and Chef Boyardee and stuff your salt intake is pretty negligible, even if you salt your food generously.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 9, 2011

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Tiny little thing, but - tips for frying eggs? Specifically, how to stop the egg white spreading out so much in the pan?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
The higher the heat of the pan the less the egg will spread. How long you leave them in depends on how you like your eggs fried, though.

vv a ring mold would work too, yeah, just make sure you oil it beforehand

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 9, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

use a smaller pan. :v:

Edit: or fry it in a ring mold.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
Dear Mindphlux,
Please start another Atlanta dining thread. Please and thank you.

Actually if anyone that lives in the area would start a new thread, that would be fantastic. I would do it, but I make awful threads, so there's that.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

LittleBob posted:

Tiny little thing, but - tips for frying eggs? Specifically, how to stop the egg white spreading out so much in the pan?

The older your egg the more it is going to spread. The only way to stop this is to do as others have mentioned and cook it in a ring mold or in a smaller pan. Another option is to crack the egg in and tilt the pan over the flame with the egg nestled in the side of the pan. It will set up a bit and then you can level out the pan and it will cook nice and tight.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
This might be a dumb question but I googled and couldn't find anything. I made whipped butter tonight out of heavy cream and the result smelled strange, a bit sweet/sour but tasted fantastic. Is it okay? Is this what it's supposed to smell like? I've never used heavy cream for anything before.
If there's the slightest hint of doubt from the internet masses though I'll toss it and make more butter as I'm serving this to people...

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Psychobabble posted:

The older your egg the more it is going to spread.

Do you know why this is? The science side of cooking is fascinating.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Chard posted:

Do you know why this is? The science side of cooking is fascinating.

Somethig to do withthe bonds starting to break down, amending a little less county.. so that's why its easy to whip old eggs and peel older hb eggs, but new eggs are best for poached

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!
How long can I leave cookie dough in the fridge? I've made this recipe several times and normally chill it for a few hours before rolling it out and cutting it, but it'd be nice if I could whip it up tonight and do the actual baking tomorrow evening. The most questionable ingredient is 1 egg yoke.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ok, here you guys go:

Thanks Mr. Wiggles, I'm going to give this a shot and report back later on today!

quote:

How long can I leave cookie dough in the fridge?

I'd be comfortable with a week or so in the fridge. But it will keep in the freezer for as long as you keep it sealed. I've eaten frozen cookie dough that was made six or so months ago.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Cookie dough actually improves with time.. I'm too lazy to :google: but it's a NYT recipe/article.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

Cookie dough actually improves with time.. I'm too lazy to :google: but it's a NYT recipe/article.

Most do, yeah. Allowing the dough to rest does something with moisture distribution and rests the gluten formation and it makes a better textured cookie.

Edit: I'd only fridge a dough for a day or two. Anything more than that I would double wrap and freeze.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm hosting Christmas for my extended family this year. If not turkey, what else would be a good main course?

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Steve Yun posted:

I'm hosting Christmas for my extended family this year. If not turkey, what else would be a good main course?

Depends on your family tastes, how many you're serving etc. I'm a fan of a nice dish with beef tenderloin personally when I host, but I have a pretty good butcher nearby who has "utility" tenderloin that's as good as anything the supermarket proper has so it doesn't cost me much.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Mofette posted:

For recipes that have onion and / or garlic in them, about 90% suffer no ill-effects from adding the instruction "Now double the onion and /or garlic".

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Goose. Or a rib roast. A big bowl of curry is also nice instead of the normal dishes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I'm a big fan of Christmas ham for the big centerpiece of the table/main course. Though I think I'm just going to make like 4 lasagnas for the real bulk of the food this year.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Hey guys! I'm making pizza tonight, and I'm using a frozen lump of pizza dough that my local bakery sells. It's good stuff, but I don't usually defrost frozen lumps of pizza dough and I don't want to mess it up by having it over/under rise.

I've been told to just leave it on the counter on a metal pan while I'm at work and it should be ready when I get home; is that about right? Help me, you culinary goons.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much. And frankly, if it does overrise, you're not going to notice it with pizza dough like you would with a loaf of bread.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Crown. loving. Roast.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm tasked with making some polish food for Christmas and I am unfamiliar with the cuisine. Especially regarding what would be palatable for a majority of people. Would most people find a beat based vegetarian borscht with uszka good or should I not make authentic polish and just use common Polish ingredients like a sauerkraut and whatever sausage dumpling and sour cabbage and meat stew.

^^^^

Duck, always duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Potato pancakes (placki ziemniaczane, not latkes)