Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Kim Jong III posted:

I thought on the 2nd gen 9-3 the button wasn't a rheostat anymore. I'll have to pull up WIS but I think it is on the bus and actually sends some sort of signal on push. Am I wrong?

I assumed you were a 9400. 2003 9400 still gives me the rheostat data. 9440 need not apply.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Viggen posted:

I assumed you were a 9400. 2003 9400 still gives me the rheostat data. 9440 need not apply.

Sorry for not being clear. I'm pretty sure it's a 9440 - VIN YS3F, right?

If it's the 9440, I'm pretty much looking at a new computer, right? You seem knowledgeable - do you have any other thoughts?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Kim Jong III posted:

Sorry for not being clear. I'm pretty sure it's a 9440 - VIN YS3F, right?

If it's the 9440, I'm pretty much looking at a new computer, right? You seem knowledgeable - do you have any other thoughts?

Yep, that's a 9440. Your BCM could be screwing up, but I really don't know, offhand. It'd be nice to be able to test with a Tech2.

If they come on when you pull the fuse, I'd just try popping the radio out solo and see if the lights work. If it's not the stereo causing an overload/trip, then it's way beyond my tinkering.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Viggen posted:

Yep, that's a 9440. Your BCM could be screwing up, but I really don't know, offhand. It'd be nice to be able to test with a Tech2.

If they come on when you pull the fuse, I'd just try popping the radio out solo and see if the lights work. If it's not the stereo causing an overload/trip, then it's way beyond my tinkering.

Oooh, that is something I haven't considered. Does WIS have instructions on removing the radio?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Kim Jong III posted:

Oooh, that is something I haven't considered. Does WIS have instructions on removing the radio?

If you had a first-gen 9-5, you just need the standard GM extraction tool and 3 seconds, but nooo nobody wants one of those. :v:

You need to remove the ACC/MCC. They want you to use a proprietary tool, but any soft plastic wedge (think oldschool mac) should work.

The CD removal tools look pretty simple. I'd probably try to mangle some old desktop slot fillers for this purpose.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, winter STILL has not arrived here in Sweden and my 9-5 got in its mind to quite literally roast my rear end the other day. +10C and the seat warmer was on max and then some, with the switch doing nothing. Had to pull the fuse. Is the switch the most common bad guy in this scenario, or the cabling? Will tear into it this weekend to have a look.

Other than that, car is doing great. Got some winter shoes: Nokian Hakkapellitta 7 studded 225/45/17s that cost about as much as a small island but should keep me on the road should it actually snow at some point. Last year we had a foot of snow in October, this year it's like mid-fall in December.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, winter STILL has not arrived here in Sweden and my 9-5 got in its mind to quite literally roast my rear end the other day. +10C and the seat warmer was on max and then some, with the switch doing nothing. Had to pull the fuse. Is the switch the most common bad guy in this scenario, or the cabling? Will tear into it this weekend to have a look.

That's going to be the switch. If the passenger side is working fine, just pop both switches and test with the passenger switch. 5 minutes max, no cost.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm tired of not being able to turn of my lights at all in my '07 9-3 wagon. I hear I can pull a fuse? Is this a good idea?

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Sooo I need a new rear flex pipe, and a new muffler, pricing it out it's coming to about 470 for just the parts on Auto Parts Way, I am wondering on Genuinesaab they have this cat back exhaust, (Link below) and it come to less than what Auto Parts wants for just the muffler and flex pipe, the only thing is that the image doesn't show a flex pipe and it says it doesn't come with one. I was under the assumption that a cat back system would be everything from the catalytic converter, to the back. Is it just getting rid of the rear flex pipe, or would I still need a rear flex pip if I bought this system?

Here's the link http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_53&products_id=423

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm tired of not being able to turn of my lights at all in my '07 9-3 wagon. I hear I can pull a fuse? Is this a good idea?

You're talking about the DRLs, right? Fuse 15 if memory serves. If not, there's a key on the flap. Keep in mind, though, that if you do turn on DRLs and not highbeams (first click on switch), they will STAY THE gently caress ON and you will get no warning. They won't shut off, and will happily toast your battery. Only if you do that, though.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
You can get the DRLs reprogrammed, but you need a friendly mechanic with a tech2, and the procedure has changed like 3 times for different versions of the software, there are a ton of threads over on saabcentral but the gist is you turn the headlight settings to RoW.

The previous owner of our car tried to get the dealer to do it but they refused :(.

astropika fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 3, 2011

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Its a nice concept, I drive with my lights on in my other car because people have a hard time seeing it, but I've had to meet up several times in parking lots and it is pretty loving lame when you are sitting there idling with your headlights on, I also like to turn them off in drive thru windows.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

astropika posted:

You can get the DRLs reprogrammed, but you need a friendly mechanic with a tech2, and the procedure has changed like 3 times for different versions of the software, there are a ton of threads over on saabcentral but the gist is you turn the headlight settings to RoW.

The previous owner of our car tried to get the dealer to do it but they refused :(.

What's wrong with just pulling the DRL fuse, unless you don't remember to turn the switch off?

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Viggen posted:

What's wrong with just pulling the DRL fuse, unless you don't remember to turn the switch off?

Isn't that only on OG9-3s?

The DRLs on the (pre-08 anyway) NG9-3s are the lowbeams.

astropika fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 6, 2011

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010
It's only on the older 9-3's.....no one ever reads the year. SS's and SC's need a tech II.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Guy Random posted:

It's only on the older 9-3's.....no one ever reads the year. SS's and SC's need a tech II.

Actually, I don't have WIS for the newer 9-3s, and have never had the chance to play with one in the flesh.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

My father gave me Saab 99 -82 as birthday present. I was going to buy it but as my birthday was coming, so father paid it for me, car was 50€ + 40€ for new clutch.
Now that the story time is over i was wondering how easy/hard it would be to swap the B201 to more modern Saab engine? I don't know if there is any similarity with modern H-engines. Just playing with the idea, can't really do it before i get one of my other cars running.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Captain Kosmos posted:

My father gave me Saab 99 -82 as birthday present. I was going to buy it but as my birthday was coming, so father paid it for me, car was 50€ + 40€ for new clutch.
Now that the story time is over i was wondering how easy/hard it would be to swap the B201 to more modern Saab engine? I don't know if there is any similarity with modern H-engines. Just playing with the idea, can't really do it before i get one of my other cars running.

Don't do that. Sell it to someone who wants that car. T5/T7 is awful, and LH 2.4 is so dated, it's not even funny. If you destroy a 99, I will find you.

:q:

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Viggen posted:

Don't do that. Sell it to someone who wants that car. T5/T7 is awful, and LH 2.4 is so dated, it's not even funny. If you destroy a 99, I will find you.

:q:

drat... I guess i stick with it :(. There isn't any real reason to swap the engine, car and the engine is in fine shape, rugged but working.
Car itself is loving great, no going to sell it for a while.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Sorry Viggen! - its not destroying if it makes it a more drivable car and gets it more used!
A 99 GL isnt really a collectable model either.

Captain Kosmos posted:

Its easy to swap to a later engine! I've got 2 1980 99's and have been fitting a later 16v LPT engine into one of them.
To do it you need to:
Swap the 99 engine mounts onto the newer engine (bolt on)
Craft an exhaust downpipe (using the 900 one as a basis)
Get a double belt bottom pulley machined down to a single pulley (or get very lucky and find one of the proper saabs ones)
To fit a 5 speed box you need to swap the front cover over off the 4 speed box to get the earlier mount (bolt on)
You need to fit the 5 speed gear change assembly (bolt in) and cut the rod down

The later engine is a bit deeper (due to the water pump and pulley locations) so you need to modify the bulkhead a tiny bit to get more clearance. It needs a bit of hammering at the top and you need to get perhaps 2 cm down by the crank pulley.
I (and most other people) have done this by cutting a hole and then making an internally fitted cover that projects into the interior up behind the dash. It is not visible from inside and also means you can get the pully off later if required.

You will then need to do some wiring. The wring on my 99's is really showing its age so i'd probably consider trying to swap the entire fusebox and ewngine loom over from the 900.

Took me 2 fairly easy days to swap the engine over and get it basically running without an ECU (I'm running on LPG so it only needed an ignition module adding!)

Do it :)

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Tomarse posted:

Do it :)
Thanks! Got any pictures?
It's 2dr GL 5 speed so its not so rare, at least in Finland. It was going to be crushed, until my father founded it out. Previous owner just wanted get rid of it.
I was thinking about getting late 90s 900 that didn't pass vehicle inspection or is for some other reason taked out of the road. In Finnish Saab forums there are bunch 8v turbo swaps but no NA 16v what i was thinking.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I'm sure ive seen an NA swap in the UK. If i was going NA, i'd probably got for an NA 2.3L. Ive got a 2.3 ng900 at the moment and its a lot nicer than the 2.0NA and pretty much the same BHP as a 2.0 LPT

Only crappy pics of the engine swap im afraid!

my car

bulkhead mods for later engine -

why you need to do the top cutout

bottom pulley mod

modified part of the 99 engine mount

it fits!

c900 straight silencer

hangs on 2 custom brackets that bolt onto existing holes under the rear seat :)

c900 turbo exhaust downpipe (made from spare parts)

modified wastegate actualtor bracket (it hits the rad otherwise)

petrol tank delete ;)

you may also need to fit the 99turbo style electric fan (goes infront of the radiator rather than behind it), and if you go for a turbo engine will need a combination of intake/turbo piping from a c900 8v turbo and a 99 turbo or to make your own. There is less space in the engine bay of a 99 so the new engine ends up very close to the 99 radiator.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
I just got a very pretty '96 9000 with 416000kms on it. Engine wise it's the most basic one with a 2.0i on LPG, but equipment wise all the bells and whistles are on it, even the heated leather seats. Everything works except the central locking, which it seems works only when it feels like it.

Context: I got it as a temporary car, one week after my gorgeous Alfa 156 got totaled by two idiots who were not paying attention at a light. I walked away surprisingly OK, but the car will have to be scrapped.

Here it is, in all its glory: Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3

I paid E700 for it, and it came with 4 new tires in the trunk. It feels and goes really well for something that has gone to the moon and is now 1/3 of the way back but that said, it has no real service history to speak of, but there is nothing wrong with it as it is. An oil change probably won't hurt, but apart from that...?

The thing is: even though my next car will probably be another Alfa, this car has something that makes me want to hang on to it well past its next MOT, which is due in June of next year. So what does AI think... should I?

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 9, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Tomarse posted:

Sorry Viggen! - its not destroying if it makes it a more drivable car and gets it more used!
A 99 GL isnt really a collectable model either.

Given the current state, I see no reason to take something stock-and-fix/usable, and change it up. I'd rather a 202, but honestly, if I had a 99, even if it wasn't rare, I'd be rubbing it down with diapers.

I just hate to see mods on still-stock old cars which are becoming more, and more rare. Then again, some did get produced in Finland, so they're probably not horribly impressive, there.

Tsuru posted:

The thing is: even though my next car will probably be another Alfa, this car has something that makes me want to hang on to it well past its next MOT, which is due in June of next year. So what does AI think... should I?

It has quite a bit of miles on it. At this point, anything that hasn't been replaced, probably should. Just make sure to change the oil, check hoses, and your timing. MOT is a lot more stringent than what we have in virtually all of the US, so I'm sure it'll likely give you many years of joy.

CakesAkimbo
Jul 31, 2005
You what?
So has this become a "post your Saab" thread, yet? I'm too terrified to post in the overarching "post your ride" thread - at least here, I'm among like-minded addicts!

This is the love of my life. It's the fourth Saab our family has owned. It joins our old faithful workhorse, a white '93 9000 CS.

'01 BSR Stage 1 9-5 with mostly-rebuilt engine (lots of backstory). I love this car so much. There was much drama involved in getting this car on the road, both mechanically and human-wise, so I've only been driving it for about 3 months. It replaces my red 9000 Aero which, while unbelievably fantastic, had so many (expensive) problems, it just wasn't worth it anymore. There are lots of things I still need to and want to do to this one, but it is truly already such a joy to drive (and holy CHRIST is it fast), I grin like an absolute idiot every time I get in. I'm definitely my father's daughter (he taught me to drive in the CS, which started it all). :toot:

Please don't hate me for the mesh, I really like it. :ohdear:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Everyone has bad taste in something...

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Tomarse posted:

Only crappy pics of the engine swap im afraid!

Thanks for the pictures!

Viggen posted:

Given the current state, I see no reason to take something stock-and-fix/usable, and change it up. I'd rather a 202, but honestly, if I had a 99, even if it wasn't rare, I'd be rubbing it down with diapers.

I just hate to see mods on still-stock old cars which are becoming more, and more rare. Then again, some did get produced in Finland, so they're probably not horribly impressive, there.
Mine is build in Finland, is funny to have some text in Finnish and there some modification done to suit weather and the laws. In light switch there is daytime running position where it drops voltage to headlights. I think its really neat feature.
Still its is pretty uncommon car even in Finland, but there isn't real value in them. Mostly people still use them as daily drivers. There are 13 at sale now in Nettiauto.com for 200€-4900€, 3 of those are over over 900€, one is cabriolet and 2 are oldtimers, don't know the real term, they are over 30 years old cars that get cheaper insurances and taxes but can only be driven for 30 days in year and are inspected to be in the same condition as the came from factory. Rest of the cars seem to be pretty much same shape as mine.

I guess this is pretty much the same situtation that most finnish gearheads have when watching US forums/programs where they "ruin" 85 Camaro or something like that. Mythbusters car myths are horrible stuff to watch.
Sometimes its even hard to read AI.

CakesAkimbo
Jul 31, 2005
You what?

Faerunner posted:

Everyone has bad taste in something...

That's about as 'bad taste' as I'm going to get with this car. Only other aesthetic things I want to do are change the wheels but they'll be Saab wheels anyway.

Still, I love my car, and since I've been through the wringer to get it on the road, I'm going to drive it until everything falls off it.

CakesAkimbo fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 18, 2011

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Well, the day everyone has been dreadfully awaiting is finally upon us: http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2011/12/19/saab-bankruptcy-what-does-it-really-mean/

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

keykey posted:

Well, the day everyone has been dreadfully awaiting is finally upon us: http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2011/12/19/saab-bankruptcy-what-does-it-really-mean/

:smith:

Any knowledgeable Swedes want to chime in on bankruptcy laws in Sweden? Any chance that someone can step in this late in the game?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Kim Jong III posted:

Any knowledgeable Swedes want to chime in on bankruptcy laws in Sweden? Any chance that someone can step in this late in the game?

While I know virtually nothing about bankruptcy law here, I think the way it works is that once Saab has been put into bankruptcy mode the National Debt Office takes over and tries to sell its assets in order to pay off suppliers and loans. As for the poor employees at the plant in Trollhättan, the state guarantees them pay for the three months before the date the bankruptcy claim is filed, so at least they're not quite poo poo out of luck just yet.

The way bankruptcy law is designed here it's technically possible for someone to swoop in and gobble up all the Saab assets at bargain basement prices (as long as they're not Chinese or Russian, apparently) and possibly resurrect the company should they choose to do so, but the way things have been going lately I wouldn't hold my breath.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Kim Jong III posted:

Anyone that wanted to step in has tried to at this point, but either the government said no to helping, EIB thought they were too shady or GM wouldn't transfer tech to China. All the rational buyers got out quickly at the beginning (I was seriously hoping for Bård Eker and Königsegg to take it over). Everyone else seems to want to wait for the bankruptcy so they can get their hands on a car factory without the burden of a failed car marque. (Except there's already the old Volvo factory up for grabs 30 km away)

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
God damnit. I really wanted to see the new 9-3 too. Here's hoping the Chinese swoop in still, and that SAAB hasn't used up all its nine lives.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Bitcoin Billionaire posted:

God damnit. I really wanted to see the new 9-3 too. Here's hoping the Chinese swoop in still, and that SAAB hasn't used up all its nine lives.

That's what they've been trying to do the last 6 months, but GM won't release the Epsilon IP.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
I thought Muller was claiming the new 9-3's Epsilon was so heavily modified it became their own IP?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Not sure but what hasn't he claimed lately? GM doesn't like him and they wouldn't let any deal involving him go through.

Apparently the district court approved the bankruptcy now, and they're working on getting the workers paid.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
So is my 08 9-3 going to be worthless now? It has ~35k miles, and I'd really like to get rid of it. Was thinking 3000GT.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

So is my 08 9-3 going to be worthless now? It has ~35k miles, and I'd really like to get rid of it. Was thinking 3000GT.

This couldn't happen at a worse time. I'm trying to sell my '01 9-3 right now.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

GM dealerships have already started kicking back warranty work on still-under warranty cars. You might as well keep it until it has an expensive breakdown, because it's worth basically nothing in trade.

Petekill posted:

This couldn't happen at a worse time. I'm trying to sell my '01 9-3 right now.

I went to check prices on TSN, and I went from depressed to suicidal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
Actually, it doesn't look too bad for my MY, considering I bought it at 12k for $20k. Time to sell, looks like.