Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Parmesan question: i've got a chunk of parmesan cheese in the fridge, it's begun to grow a white mold in spots, is this "good mold" or is it "throw it the gently caress out and buy new chunk of parmesan mold"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's probably "just cut off the mold chunks and keep using the cheese" mold.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

I'm hosting Christmas for my extended family this year. If not turkey, what else would be a good main course?

This is what I'm making for Christmas dinner this year. My first prime rib but it seems pretty low-execution.

Here is a good resource for the crown roast suggested by Very Strange Things.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Casu Marzu posted:

It's probably "just cut off the mold chunks and keep using the cheese" mold.

That's what I usually do as well, and I'm certainly not dead yet. You can do this with a lot of cheeses, especially hard cheeses.

Quotin' myself from 2 pages back, no one has opinions about knives? :(

Darval posted:

Knives!

I'm kinda collecting Global Knives. I'm not very knowledgeable about knives, so I just kinda started somewhere.

http://www.global-knife.com/products/global_g.html

I've currently got a G-2, and a G-5 which I enjoy using a lot. I only recently learned how to fillet a fish, which was a lot easier than I thought. My dad taught me, they have a G-21 I think it was.

I sometimes have access to fresh fish for cheap/free, so I think I'd like a deboning knife as my next knife. I also want to learn to debone a chicken, cheap eats :)

So my question is, which one should I get? The G-21 seemed a little short, don't know if it gets harder to control if you get a longer knife.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
The best part about living across the country from extended family and being an only child was being able to have lobster or leg of lamb or whateverthefuck we wanted without having to plan on relatives :c00l:

But leg of lamb is a good extra main dish if you're going to do goose.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

I'm tasked with making some polish food for Christmas and I am unfamiliar with the cuisine. Especially regarding what would be palatable for a majority of people. Would most people find a beat based vegetarian borscht with uszka good or should I not make authentic polish and just use common Polish ingredients like a sauerkraut and whatever sausage dumpling and sour cabbage and meat stew.

^^^^

Duck, always duck.

Haluski makes a pretty good side, and you can do a lot with kielbasa.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Darval posted:

Here is a vid of a dude cutting up a fish with a bigass knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhsj1d9SGwM

It's probably more about technique and what you're comfortable with.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Darval posted:

I don't personally care for Globals (don't like the handles) but if you're going to get a boner, make sure it's flexible. Boning a bird with with a rigid boner can be tough and leave more meat on the bones than you would like. I think mine is 7 inches, and it seems plenty long enough.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you have a Sur La Table near you, they let you try out their knives. Try a few boners in different sizes and see what feels good in your hand

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A boner that's too large can be unwieldy and lead to injury.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Too small and it's impossible to get the job done

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

If you have a Sur La Table near you, they let you try out their knives. Try a few boners in different sizes and see what feels good in your hand
Same with a William Sanoma

Also thanks for the two suggestions. Kielbasa is unfortunately covered, I love the stuff.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

The Midniter posted:

This is what I'm making for Christmas dinner this year. My first prime rib but it seems pretty low-execution.

Here is a good resource for the crown roast suggested by Very Strange Things.

Kenji makes a really strong case for a Pork belly Porchetta being the ultimate Holiday roast.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Frobbe posted:

Parmesan question: i've got a chunk of parmesan cheese in the fridge, it's begun to grow a white mold in spots, is this "good mold" or is it "throw it the gently caress out and buy new chunk of parmesan mold"?

The general rules for cheese molds, as explained to me by my cheesemonger:
White mold: It's Penicillium candidum or something closely akin to it. That's the mold on soft white cheeses like Brie and Camembert. If you have a penicillin allergy, be careful. Otherwise it's fine to eat the mold along with the cheese if you so desire. It adds a peppery flavor. (I have a penicillin allergy and have never had problems, but others' mileage may vary.)
Grey, possibly fluffy mold: Probably poil de chat ("cat fur") mold. Most varieties are harmless, but can make the cheese bitter. Cut away the mold and some of the underlying cheese and use the rest of it. Remember, the fungus you see is the reproductive portion - the "body" of the fungus lives in the stuff underneath. photos here for reference
Black mold: Not healthy, cut it away along with some of the cheese beneath it.
Pink mold: Definitely not healthy, cut away like with black mold. In cases of more than a small patch, I usually throw it out just to be safe.
Orange mold: Same as pink.

Do note, however, that older soft ripened cheeses like Brie and Camembert can get orange or pink colors in their previously-white rinds that are not mold; in that case, the rind is likely ammoniated (and therefore not very palatable) but not hazardous.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 9, 2011

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bartolimu posted:

:words:

Feel like I need to print this on a notecard and tape it to the cheese drawer in the fridge.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Thanks for the advice/penis jokes. I can't really decide if it should be the G-20 or G-21 (http://www.global-knife.com/products/global_g.html), but I'm thinking the G-21 would be easier to use with the thinner blade probably being more flexible.

I don't know any of the places you suggested, but I'll probably find something like it here in Denmark.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Have you looked at the G-30? It appears to have the shape, width and length that you're looking for.

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!
Fell behind by a page but thanks for the cookie dough/fridge advice! I had no idea it could actually be an improvement.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
I'm a half jap, living away from home trying to recreate my moms tonkatsu. I bought pork loin, but my dad told me my mom uses tenderloin and doesn't think the pork loin will be great for the katsu as it's more fatty. Since I lack much cooking experience, just wondering everyone else thoughts, looking for advice, and if I shouldn't use the pork loin for tonkatsu then perhaps a tasty recipe for pork loin!

Also, when I saw the tenderloin at the store it was much smaller than the pieces of tonkatsu my mom used to make, only about 2 inches in diameter. Is that normal for pork tenderloin?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always use loin for katsu. I'm pretty sure every place I've ever had it use loin, as the pieces are bigger than tenderloin medallions would be. If you're worried about the fat band, just trim it off before you slice your loin.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Don't use tenderloin for katsu. Slice and trim your (what I'm assuming is) sirloin. It works great for tonkatsu. It's what I usually use.

Edit; Goddammit FGR

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
Thanks guys, I do appreciate it, I will post as to the results! I have everything but the kewpie mayo :(

Heisenator
Mar 30, 2010
I just purchased some "New York Steak" at Fresh & Easy, and I was wondering if this is the same as New York Strip Steak, or if they are just naming it similar in order to boost sales; much like groceries sell London Broil as a cut of meat.

Also, any personal secrets on how you like to cook/should cook your New York Strip Steak, if that is indeed what I bought?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Heisenator posted:

I just purchased some "New York Steak" at Fresh & Easy, and I was wondering if this is the same as New York Strip Steak, or if they are just naming it similar in order to boost sales; much like groceries sell London Broil as a cut of meat.

Take a picture of it and we can tell you!

Heisenator
Mar 30, 2010
Sure, here is a top-down picture:

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I want to make duck breast prosciutto but I live in an apartment without a garage or basement. Every source tells me I should let it hang at around 50-60 degrees, but there's nowhere in the apartment that stays around that temperature. Can I let it hang in the fridge? will it take longer? What about at room temp? But that sounds like a bad idea?

Does anybody know what to do or have any ideas?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
In our CSA boxes these weeks we're getting a lot of sunchokes/jerusalem artichokes, and I'm thoroughly uninspired. I don't really know how to get them to shine, they've never really appealed to me and have been relegated to random_filler_veg in soups etc.

Any suggestions for what I can do with them that'll make me and them happy?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Heisenator posted:

Sure, here is a top-down picture:

These are, in fact, oddly butchered strip steaks.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dane posted:

In our CSA boxes these weeks we're getting a lot of sunchokes/jerusalem artichokes, and I'm thoroughly uninspired. I don't really know how to get them to shine, they've never really appealed to me and have been relegated to random_filler_veg in soups etc.

Any suggestions for what I can do with them that'll make me and them happy?

Sunchoke puree with a poached egg and cured pork is the actual best thing in the entire world.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Darval posted:

Thanks for the advice/penis jokes. I can't really decide if it should be the G-20 or G-21 (http://www.global-knife.com/products/global_g.html), but I'm thinking the G-21 would be easier to use with the thinner blade probably being more flexible.

I don't know any of the places you suggested, but I'll probably find something like it here in Denmark.

https://www.kunstogkokkentoj.dk are usually really good about letting you test stuff. https://www.hwl.dk a little less so, but they'll at least let you play with the stuff in store.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Sunchoke puree with a poached egg and cured pork is the actual best thing in the entire world.

Tell me more!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dane posted:

Tell me more!

I'm pretty sure you puree a sunchoke, then poach an egg, then maybe fry up some cured pork on the side.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dane posted:

Tell me more!

Er.

Sunchoke puree with lots of salt, butter and fresh pepper.

Poach an egg.

Fry up some good bacon/pancetta/guanciale/use some prosciutto.

Maybe sautee some chard in lemon/white wine/garlic to have an awesome bitter component.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm pretty sure you puree a sunchoke, then poach an egg, then maybe fry up some cured pork on the side.

Really? Wow.

e: thanks, ICR.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dane posted:

Really? Wow.

e: thanks, ICR.

I mean, to be fair, I said the same thing that he did, mostly.

You can also make a bunch of sunchoke puree, throw it into small ramequin, then crack an egg into it and bake the whole thing in an shired egg-type dish.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

I mean, to be fair, I said the same thing that he did, mostly.

You can also make a bunch of sunchoke puree, throw it into small ramequin, then crack an egg into it and bake the whole thing in an shired egg-type dish.

Do this. Shirred eggs are awesome.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
How the gently caress do I cook rice without a rice cooker?

I've been using twice as much water as rice, boil it, drop the heat, and cover with aluminum foil. The rice always turns out kinda watery.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Stalizard posted:

I want to make duck breast prosciutto but I live in an apartment without a garage or basement. Every source tells me I should let it hang at around 50-60 degrees, but there's nowhere in the apartment that stays around that temperature. Can I let it hang in the fridge? will it take longer? What about at room temp? But that sounds like a bad idea?

Does anybody know what to do or have any ideas?

Yeah. I'm in the same scenario and I just did this, I hung it in my fridge like this:

The one on the left is the duck prosciutto and the one on the right is pancetta. The fridge definitely is not the ideal environment for drying the meat. The outside seems to dry too fast and the inside too slow, so it took longer than the suggested 7 days for the duck to dry in the middle as much as i wanted it. By the time it was dry enough in the middle, the outside was really dark and a bit tough. After it was sliced you couldn't really tell though, and it tasted amazing. I've eaten it in restaurants before and mine was almost as good in my opinion, even though it was hung in a fridge.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

How the gently caress do I cook rice without a rice cooker?

I've been using twice as much water as rice, boil it, drop the heat, and cover with aluminum foil. The rice always turns out kinda watery.

For medium grain rice like calrose, I take 1.5 cups of rice, rinse until the water is clear, then place in a pot with 2 cups of water. Let soak for 20 minutes, then cover with a lid, let come to a boil. Immediately drop down to low and let it do its thing for 20 minutes. Pull off the heat, let sit for another 10-15 minutes and eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Sooooo . . . . I have fatback in my freezer. It's a big, flat piece of stuff, skin on, minimal meat on. It comes to me thanks to our meat CSA (so, local humane pig) and will probably be delicious if I do something with it. Trouble is, I have no idea what to do with it. The two times I have failed to take skin off of pork (both times with braising pork shoulder) it has wound up edible but weird in texture. Those instances had meat attached that made it okay. This is mostly skin and fat. I've googled extensively and the best idea I've gotten so far is to try out cracklings, but I can't help but feel like there's got to be some obvious, amazing, crazy work-intensive GWStastic thing I can do with this stuff. I have a meat grinder and a bunch of other appliances, and I'm not averse to work or long projects at all, so: if anyone has any ideas, hit me? I want to do this big weird flat pig justice.