Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

My team's record keeps getting worse, but our post-game beer consumption keeps increasing. Ended the season 2-10-0 last night. Playoff game next week. Considering we just dropped 3 games to the team we face, things are not looking so good.

Also a guy on another team got injured this season in a game against us. I was out sick for that game, but everyone said he tripped near the net and hit the boards on his back pretty hard. He had to be taken out on a stretcher to the hospital. This was about 6 weeks ago. Confirmed with the rink manager last night that the guy is now paralyzed with no movement in his limbs, and he had spinal surgery. Supposedly he will undergo rehab at some point in the future, which might mean he'll walk again. Crazy stuff for a beer league since I never expected to see that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
My team never consumes beer because 90% of our games are at 10:45 on worknights. Pretty lame scheduling

edit: That's also insane about that injury...sounds like an incredibly rare/unfortunate set of circumstances.

robcat fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 7, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah that's a bit scary.

Time to start pricing spinal protectors.

http://pro-tec.net/ips-back-protector-bike.php :ohdear:

Third Edition
Nov 25, 2008
It seems like every team we play against seem to have a token douchebag. Last night he wore a black visor, went to one knee, glove to ice when he scored and tried to pick a fight with a guy half his size. It was then satisfying when he missed in the shootout and had nothing to say when our bench exploded in cheers for our goalie and mocking comments for him.

Now I come for advice. While defending said douchebag in our end, he cruised behind our net and I matched him step for step. He was protecting the puck by keeping it close to the boards and I was leaning into him trying to jar the puck loose with my stick. He eventually grabbed my stick and threw it off of his. I recovered, lifted his stick, took the puck and promptly heard a whistle and the ref saying I got two for holding. Obviously I didn't intend to hold him but while trying to get the puck it may have looked that way. Is there anything else I should have done other than skating faster and trying to get in front of him?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You should have boarded him and earned the call

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Beer League Motto: When in doubt, throw a punch and call him an idiot

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Loqieu posted:

Also a guy on another team got injured this season in a game against us. I was out sick for that game, but everyone said he tripped near the net and hit the boards on his back pretty hard. He had to be taken out on a stretcher to the hospital. This was about 6 weeks ago. Confirmed with the rink manager last night that the guy is now paralyzed with no movement in his limbs, and he had spinal surgery. Supposedly he will undergo rehab at some point in the future, which might mean he'll walk again. Crazy stuff for a beer league since I never expected to see that happen.

That's scary. There's been a few times where I'm going full-steam on a breakaway and some assclown D-man trips me and sends me head-first into the boards. I'm incredibly lucky I've walked away from all of them too.

robcat posted:

My team never consumes beer because 90% of our games are at 10:45 on worknights. Pretty lame scheduling

FYI that's a terrible excuse.

sellouts posted:

This is the best option.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

FYI that's a terrible excuse.
My work team does the same thing because they say since it's on a Monday night no one wants to drink and if we had games on Thursday or something people would be more inclined to drink :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The guys I play with are chugging beers at midnight on a work night.

It's a sedative, it helps you sleep. :science:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

A couple beers and a shot of Nyquil is the ultimate post-hockey sleep aid.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
If we don't have a beer volunteer for a game I threaten suicides during the warmup until someone steps up.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

xzzy posted:

The guys I play with are chugging beers at midnight on a work night.

It's a sedative, it helps you sleep. :science:

Our team has 3 or 4 dedicated gently caress-it-I'm-drinking-at-any-time players, me being one of those. My designated job on the team is to pick up the coupon after the game if we win. The 3 pitchers for the price of 2 coupon.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
A lot of guys on my team were surprised when I showed up with beer for our 2nd game as a team, and then nobody else ever brought any :(

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Thufir posted:

A lot of guys on my team were surprised when I showed up with beer for our 2nd game as a team, and then nobody else ever brought any :(

That's bush league. I would leave that team immediately.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There was a guy in our learn to play class who would bring growlers into the locker room. He was immediately on the team, and I've played on his line ever since.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

sellouts posted:

QFT.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
You guys are right. It's time to insist people join me in the parking lot this Sunday! I drive one person to our games, so he at least won't have a choice in the matter.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

robcat posted:

You guys are right. It's time to insist people join me in the parking lot this Sunday! I drive one person to our games, so he at least won't have a choice in the matter.
poo poo man, for my Sunday team we started to do a BBQ in the parking lot for the last regular season game. That poo poo is awesome and promotes so much team bonding it's kind of scary.

But yes get people to come join you on Sunday's with some beer and hopefully it'll become a ritual.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

robcat posted:

Parking lot? Pfft, get a cooler and bring it into the locker room.

Most places will claim they don't want alcohol in the building, but late at night you'd be challenged to find someone that gives a poo poo.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

Parking lot? Pfft, get a cooler and bring it into the locker room.

Most places will claim they don't want alcohol in the building, but late at night you'd be challenged to find someone that gives a poo poo.
Yeah it's pretty much a don't ask/don't tell kinda thing. Hell, I remember one time I wasn't thinking and carried a case in outside of my bag and the guy at the front desk just smiled and shook his head.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Loqieu posted:

My team's record keeps getting worse, but our post-game beer consumption keeps increasing.

Rink management loves the six-team intro D-league I play in because we drink the most at the rink's bar of all leagues who play there. The usual Thursday night bartender actually plays too, and is at the same level where she could fit right in with no issues in our league, but flatly refuses to give up her shift behind the bar that night because it's the most profitable of the week.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Our rink has a bar, this is the best and worst thing sometimes.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I cannot possibly think of any downsides, I mean other than drunk driving and alcoholism and guys pissing themselves on the ice.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Also I would spend a bunch of money on booze if my rink had a bar.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Our rink has a bar, this is the best and worst thing sometimes.

It's actually the best thing.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
We have 2 rinks we play at that "have liquor licenses". One being a lovely cafe & bar which promotes $1 or $2 beer but they always say the sign is wrong (even thought it's in all 4 locker rooms for the past year) or their computer isn't accepting it. The other has a license since it's the practice/community rink for a WHL team inside the main stadium - so if an event was on and you can buy a ticket for it, then you can buy $8 beers. Both arenas have workers patrolling the locker rooms after games to ensure nobody is drinking and narc's out when they do see us with beer. One of my teams has asked to never play in either of those two arenas. All others now seem to have recycling bins in the locker rooms.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey so I got some skates a while back and I was reviewing the thread, but I think I need to check my skates because I'm not sure if they've been sharpened. Should it be visibly obvious that there's a 1/2 cut or whatever? The last time I looked at the skates (when I bought them and they were supposedly sharpened), they still looked flat bottomed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

Hey so I got some skates a while back and I was reviewing the thread, but I think I need to check my skates because I'm not sure if they've been sharpened. Should it be visibly obvious that there's a 1/2 cut or whatever? The last time I looked at the skates (when I bought them and they were supposedly sharpened), they still looked flat bottomed.

The curve they cut is not huge, but you should be able to feel it if you run the pad of a finger along the blade.. you'll feel two edges pretty clearly if the skates are sharpened.

Alternatively, go to the rink and try to shave some snow off the ice. If you fall on your rear end, they aren't sharpened. :science:

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
While I was on vacation this passed weekend, my team managed to lose despite being up 4-0 in the first and 7-5 in the third.

This series is against the team where one of our players wound up "fighting" one of theirs earlier this year. Well, that same guy started some stuff with our goalie this game, and wound up getting suspended the rest of this season and all next season. Idiot. Our goalie's bro got 2 games for leaving the bench to join the fight and being the 3rd man in. That's gonna hurt us a lot more than them. Beer league heroes.

Our next game is sunday at 7, if we win the next series starts monday at 6.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

You won't really be able to tell what cut they have on 'em without skating on them. One way to tell if they're sharp/have an edge is to look down the blade like you're looking down a gun sight. You should be able to see a visible, but shallow, hollow. Then look at the condition of the steel. You should see no/few nicks or scrapes.

When in doubt, just take 'em in and get 'em re-sharpened. It'll cost you $7 or so and a tiny bit of steel where they take the old edge off.

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011

trilljester posted:

It's actually the best thing.

This is true. The buy two pitchers get the third free coupon you get if you win makes it even better.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

sevorak posted:

This is true. The buy two pitchers get the third free coupon you get if you win makes it even better.

Yup, and most of the people who work the bar are really cool.

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

sellouts posted:

Anyone else if you're in SoCal, into late night tuesday hockey and can roll into work late Wednesday or don't require much sleep hit me up. It's a good skate.

Send me a PM when are where, I would love to play some late night hockey.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Anyone have Easton S19 gloves? If so are they any good? After shipping and with the code from hockeymonkey it comes out to like 73 dollars.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KnightProjekt posted:

Send me a PM when are where, I would love to play some late night hockey.

Yeah you don't have PMs. If you want to get them, great. If not let me know where to email.

Staples Center skate was fun today. One dude didn't get the message about it being gentleman's rules so I doubt he'll be invited back but everyone else kept their cool. Definitely the best use of a half day of vacation.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Aw yeah, new laces

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you use matching blade tape?

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

xzzy posted:

Do you use matching blade tape?

I want to but I can't find any. my blade tape is a light pink. I'll get a picture

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 9, 2011

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

toxicsunset posted:

Aw yeah, new laces

I want some pink laces =(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

Aw yeah, new laces

That guy spotted.