Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

I want some pink laces =(

http://howieshockeytape.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_68&product_id=148

I'm thinking I should get the cyan colored laces, because they happen to have matching tape. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

xzzy posted:

http://howieshockeytape.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_68&product_id=148

I'm thinking I should get the cyan colored laces, because they happen to have matching tape. :colbert:

Mine are waxed, from http://www.hockeygiant.com/eltewxmldtplace.html

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

toxicsunset posted:

Mine are waxed, from http://www.hockeygiant.com/eltewxmldtplace.html

Holy poo poo, innovative hockey lace boxes?

That's my dream come true, I've been compromising all this time!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Oh yeaaaa getting me some pink laces!

Edit: I wear size 7 Bauer X:30s what length laces should I get so I don't have to wrap it around or anything. The laces I have now are just right.

Surfing Turtle fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 9, 2011

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

xzzy posted:

Holy poo poo, innovative hockey lace boxes?

That's my dream come true, I've been compromising all this time!

Some of the reviews on that site are hilarious. Especially the ones for hockey pucks.

quote:

Jim
My buddies and I tried playing hockey and we didn’t have a puck. It was kinda like we were all just skating around out there. Well, after getting one of these "pucks" it took our game to a whole other level. If you like to play hockey, you need a puck.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I'd be happy to take a minor penalty for boarding a guy with pink laces.

Black or white, gents.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Surfing Turtle posted:

Edit: I wear size 7 Bauer X:30s what length laces should I get so I don't have to wrap it around or anything. The laces I have now are just right.

Mine are side 7w easton s17s and I got 96 inch and you can see how it fits. It's not laced through the top eyelets yet

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Surfing Turtle posted:

I wear x:50s, size 7.5 i think. I usually get 108" laces.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I wear x:50s, size 7.5 i think. I usually get 108" laces.

And that's just right or do you have to wrap around the extra?

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Surfing Turtle posted:

I would get 96" if i were you. I can almost get away with 84"(i tried once) on my 7ws.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Surfing Turtle posted:

I don't wrap, but I double-knot. They're just the right length to not have to undo any of the eyelets when I'm taking them off.

Reading these last couple posts, 108 may be a little long for you.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

toxicsunset posted:

I would get 96" if i were you. I can almost get away with 84"(i tried once) on my 7ws.

Alright doing this for science.

Edit: also getting some for my goalie skates

Surfing Turtle fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 9, 2011

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been skating at a Thursday night pickup game for about a year and a half. We usually skate at 8:45pm, and we're usually the last group to use the ice on Thursday. Like most such things, it is as much about hanging out drinking beer as it is about hockey, so we usually stay after in the locker room for a while until we get moved out to the parking lot, where we continue hanging out sort of like Canadian King of the Hill.

While hanging in the parking lot, spent beer cans are typically smashed and then hocked up onto the roof of the rink. I'd guess on average 12-20 beer cans each Thursday get throw up there. The guys that I skate with have been doing this pickup for 8 years or so, and this has been the pattern for almost all of that time.

Recently, rampant speculation about the number of beer cans on the roof has been occurring. We can see the top of the pile of cans poking up above the ledge of the roof, and we've been waiting for the time when someone throws a can up there and it slides down off the pile and back off the roof. It finally happened last night.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Surfing Turtle posted:

I have 8.5s and 108 laces are perfect for me (no wrapping)

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

Yeah you don't have PMs. If you want to get them, great. If not let me know where to email.

Staples Center skate was fun today. One dude didn't get the message about it being gentleman's rules so I doubt he'll be invited back but everyone else kept their cool. Definitely the best use of a half day of vacation.

Couple of those hits were pretty real. I only had to duck one puck. I had a big turnover though, really bummed me out. Was a very fun game anyway. One of my friends from Daryl Evans class kept trying to get me to drop gloves with him though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bewbies posted:

I've been skating at a Thursday night pickup game for about a year and a half. We usually skate at 8:45pm, and we're usually the last group to use the ice on Thursday. Like most such things, it is as much about hanging out drinking beer as it is about hockey, so we usually stay after in the locker room for a while until we get moved out to the parking lot, where we continue hanging out sort of like Canadian King of the Hill.

While hanging in the parking lot, spent beer cans are typically smashed and then hocked up onto the roof of the rink. I'd guess on average 12-20 beer cans each Thursday get throw up there. The guys that I skate with have been doing this pickup for 8 years or so, and this has been the pattern for almost all of that time.

Recently, rampant speculation about the number of beer cans on the roof has been occurring. We can see the top of the pile of cans poking up above the ledge of the roof, and we've been waiting for the time when someone throws a can up there and it slides down off the pile and back off the roof. It finally happened last night.

Other than blatantly littering, this is awesome. How did no one else ever notice this?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

trilljester posted:

I'd be happy to take a minor penalty for boarding a guy with pink laces.

Black or white, gents.

Yellow laces, yo. They're faster.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Acethomas posted:

Couple of those hits were pretty real. I only had to duck one puck. I had a big turnover though, really bummed me out. Was a very fun game anyway. One of my friends from Daryl Evans class kept trying to get me to drop gloves with him though.

I was oblivious to the checks happening out there, only person that did it to me I knew and it was light and we were dicking around. Had I known that it wasn't just for fun and one dude was seriously hitting people out there I would have properly laid him out. I just wasn't in that mindset.

Glad you didn't waste people's time by fighting while the clock was running. Take that to the Tues night pickup, save the NHL ice for skating!

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

bewbies posted:

The Western District way.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Thufir posted:

I have 8.5s and 108 laces are perfect for me (no wrapping)

I think anything about an 8 has an extra set of eyelets. I could be wrong. The little guide on the back of the box my laces came in says 96" is for skate sizes 6-8.

On sidenote, I got called a fag by an 8 year old for wearing my skates to a public skate yesterday

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Green Submarine posted:

The Western District way.

I ran myself to youtube to try and find a video of it, but apparently no one has uploaded that scene. :smith:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Got slew-footed going into the boards for the second game in a row. To add insult to injury, the idiot ref called me for holding on the play. :psyduck:

As I skate to the box with a "WTF" look on my face, the ref gives me poo poo about it being a no-checking league and that I need to controll my body. I remark that it's difficult to do so when your legs have been swept out from under you.

My back is killing me today.

Related: if you wear a tinted visor, just be aware that everyone thinks you look silly.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 11, 2011

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
So on top of my pink lace purchase I also got EQ50 gloves oh yeaaa

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Related: if you wear a tinted visor, just be aware that everyone thinks you look silly.

Tinted visors make pink laces look loving awesome.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
White gloves, pink laces, tinted visor, "that guy"

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

D C posted:

White gloves, pink laces, tinted visor, "that guy"

Also "tucks in jersey"

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I would do all of that but unfortunately I am boring and prefer to wear a cage.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Haha...I had forgotten the shitheel I was talking about from last night had white gloves and a tucked in jersey (but just the back...you know...for speed.)

Thufir
May 19, 2004

There's a dude in my league with tinted visor, white gloves, and the other day I saw he had painted his stick white to match his gloves.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Thufir posted:

There's a dude in my league with tinted visor, white gloves, and the other day I saw he had painted his stick white to match his gloves.

And the jersey: tuck or no tuck?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

WouldDesk posted:

And the jersey: tuck or no tuck?

I actually didn't notice, I'll have to check next time we play them.

e: My jersey gets caught up in the spine protector on my pants a lot and tucks itself in the back :(

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Honestly my left hand eventually pushes my jersey up and into my pants so it's kinda pointless to pull it back out. Sorry guys :ohdear:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

next logical step

I still can't believe that happened in the NHL.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I couldn't tuck my jersey even if I wanted to, cuz I wear suspenders. Oh yeah

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

We played 2 games today, one at 10:45 one at 1:20. I was moved up from D to winger midway through the first game, and doubled my season shot total to 4 by the end of the first game (5-3 win). Second game was 1-1 late and we were shorthanded thanks to some dumbass taking his second high-sticking penalty of the game and getting ejected.

Defender had the puck bounce over his stick at the line, I managed a flukey dangle around the last man back, took a shot and then banged in the rebound with less than 3 minutes left. 2-1 victory :smug:

After feeling fairly ineffectual on defense, moving up and getting some results feels so loving good.

Now I am at home in a virtually-comatose state. Making my muscles do things is a challenge. Tomorrow is going to suck.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Beginning of hockey season for me tomorrow, been godawful weather so haven't been able to play outside but our 'team' is getting some ice time tomorrow, will be a lot of fun and as always I'm really nervous! Or, maybe anxious is a better word for what I feel, nonetheless it's going to be awesome. :)

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Turns out staying up late and drinking Thursday, Friday, and Saturday was not particularly good for my conditioning; I was sucking wind all game today. Managed to be pretty dominant on faceoffs and get a goal though and also a dumb hooking penalty.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Anyone know the difference between the bauer vapor x3 LTE and the x4 besides the colors, and about $25 ? I hate the ugly red which is what draws me to the 3.0. I know vapors fit my feet so there's no problem there. I also know that there are usually only very minor differences between two bauer models

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Verman posted:

Anyone know the difference between the bauer vapor x3 LTE and the x4 besides the colors, and about $25 ? I hate the ugly red which is what draws me to the 3.0. I know vapors fit my feet so there's no problem there. I also know that there are usually only very minor differences between two bauer models

I'd assume the X:4 is somewhat stiffer and has slightly better protection. For what it's worth the ugly red isn't quite as bad in person.

If you've worn vapor skates before I think the conversion from the old ones is X:3 = old X:20s, X:4 is old X:30s and X:5 is like the X:40s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tie game in the second, forward gets around you. Don't take a loving baseball swing at him with your stick.
Tie game in the third, you get boarded, ref has his hand up. Don't loving retaliate.
Down 4-3, 1 minute left in the game. We're on a PP and in the offensive zone. Pulling the goalie for a 6v4. DON'T SHOOT THE loving PUCK 3 SECONDS AFTER THE WHISTLE.

STOP. TAKING. DUMB. loving. PENALTIES.
:bang: :bang: :bang:

:sigh:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 12, 2011