  • Post
Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

ManxomeBromide posted:

Anything worth checking out on the first two lists? I haven't even heard of most of these games. Tyrian 2000 and Ultima IV I beat long ago, but the rest are complete ciphers to me.

Beneath a Steel Sky is a very good adventure with a cyberpunk theme and gorgeous artwork by Dave Gibbons (of DC Comics and Watchmen fame). It's not very long and the plot is well done. Just remember to save often because you can actually die — they aren't cheap deaths in Sierra's vein, though.

Teenagent is a terrible game, don't even bother.

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars is hailed as one of the best adventure games ever and totally deserves that kind of praise. It's an almost flawless execution of the genre's selling points (story, characters, puzzles). The graphics are beautiful too.

Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum are the first two games in the Tex Murphy series. They aged a lot, and weren't that great to begin with, so I suggest you to skip it. The next two installments of the franchise, however (Under a Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive), are excellent FMV adventures — perhaps the only ones besides Gabriel Knight 2 — and totally recommended. You can play them without going through the first two with no problems. More backlog!

If you want some excellent tactical squad action game, you would be better off ignoring Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games and getting the Jagged Alliance 2 Gold Pack + 1.13 Patch.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 9, 2011

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Is Oblivion worth $5? I've never played it...

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is Oblivion worth $5? I've never played it...

Definitely, and even more so if you're willing to invest a couple hours into installing a gaggle of mods before playing. A lot of people on these forums seem to think that Oblivion is terrible and they would be very, very wrong - it really is a fun fantasy sandbox.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Definitely, and even more so if you're willing to invest a couple hours into installing a gaggle of mods before playing. A lot of people on these forums seem to think that Oblivion is terrible and they would be very, very wrong - it really is a fun fantasy sandbox.

On the other hand, Skyrim exists.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Yay, finally beat Portal 2 (single player campaign) last night!! I must be borderline retarded though b/c howlongtobeat.com says most people beat it in around 6:30 but it took me 9:30 :smith:

Now to finish all the maps in OMD in War Mage difficulty, then start up DX:HR.

e: I also beat Bastion since last time I posted, so there's that too. I still say Bastion is GOTY for me, although obviously I have yet to play DX:HR or Skyrim.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is Oblivion worth $5? I've never played it...

Yep. Ignore the haters. If it was half the game it is now it would still be worth $5.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is Oblivion worth $5? I've never played it...

Hard to say. On the one hand, it kept me occupied for ~60h, so that's a pretty good amount of entertainment per dollar. On the other hand, I had to spend a day fiddling around with mods first to get it to a point where it wasn't obviously, annoyingly broken in some respects.

On the gripping hand, you could put that $5 towards Fallout: New Vegas ($5-$15 depending on DLC) or Morrowind ($10), both of which are a shitload more fun and interesting and have a lot more stuff to see and explore (and generally avoid falling into Oblivion's trap of "there's a lot of see, but all of it is identical Ayleid ruins containing a random assortment of level-appropriate bandits").

On the, um, foot, there's always Nehrim, which is a free total conversion for Oblivion which seems to be well-liked by the people who hated Oblivion because it wasn't as good as Morrowind or Gothic 2. And in a year or two, Morroblivion (total conversion of Morrowind to the Oblivion engine) will probably be playable as well.

So, yeah, it's worth $5, but there also better games in the same vein you could spend that $5 on.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

On the other hand, Skyrim exists.

...and is twelve times the price that Oblivion currently is so I'm not even sure why you mentioned it.

Hell, I forgot about Nehrim - that's even more value for your money.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I've already got F:NV, just looking for a cheap game to play over the holidays.

Edit: Oblivion + all the DLC is just $6.24, bought it. That'll keep me occupied for awhile!

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 10, 2011

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Just finished the third episode of Strong Bad's game. Is it just me, or are the puzzle solutions more convoluted in this one? At times it felt like the solution to such-and-such problem was combine random object A with random object B at random location X. Well, I guess they made sense after the fact, but there's no way I would have figured some of them out without just trying different objects on different characters/objects. I mean putting bleach and bats in the washer? Making the Limozene comic into a Teen Girl Squad and show it to Marzipan to get her angry? I had to look at a walk-through way too many times for this one.

I may hold off on the last two episodes for a little while longer. Each one is only taking me a couple hours each, but I still feel like I'm getting burned out on them. H*R seems to be more enjoyable in smaller doses.

Also, I installed Half-Life: Opposing Force, played for 10 minutes, then uninstalled. Too many annoying things about it (instant-death laser at the very start? annoying characters? lack-luster wrench weapon?) that I don't think I'm ever going to bother with it. Is Blue Shift any good, or will I probably hate it too?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Eh! Frank posted:

Just finished the third episode of Strong Bad's game. Is it just me, or are the puzzle solutions more convoluted in this one?

I consider Episode 2 the best in the series, really, with 5 a respectable second. If you try to cap out your score in Episode 3, it's completely stupid: You have to solve the puzzles in a certain order and then get stuck at exactly the right time - one of the scored achievements is receiving a specific hint. Remember to always use protection when loving that noise.

If you're starting to get sick of it, definitely take a break before 4, and maybe take another break before 5; each of them piles it on relentlessly.

I can't help with respect to Blue Shift. However, looking at your Backloggery, maybe give Mass Effect another shot? If you just want a quick palate cleanser (which Mass Effect totally is not), a brief bout of blowing stuff up with Tyrian or Raptor might also be just what the doctor ordered.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Eh! Frank posted:

Is Blue Shift any good, or will I probably hate it too?

Blue Shift is pretty poo poo, especially if you hated Opposing Force. OF is generally considered the "good" Gearbox Half-Life expansion, while Blue Shift is really just going through the motions.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Migishu posted:

I haven't had time to play any games recently. The only thing I've done is add to my collection. Rest assured, I will get through them one day.

No. You won't. The quicker you come to accept it, the more fun you will have. Trust me, it took me years to give in and just realize I will take this list of unbeaten games to my coffin.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Blue Shift is pretty poo poo, especially if you hated Opposing Force. OF is generally considered the "good" Gearbox Half-Life expansion, while Blue Shift is really just going through the motions.

Playing as the random security guard! Fun!

No, it was a poo poo game. And literally was two hours long.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Well, since I have just beaten CS: Condition Zero, and can't be assed into putting an effort into beating the Deleted Scenes, I might as well start playing the HL1 stuff.

Can you name any and every mod that would make HL1 seem more exciting/less dated? Preferably something that adds guns, or adds to how fun they are.

Turada
Jun 17, 2006

On a mission from God
I'll join in. Not a huge collection, but the Christmas sale will not end well for me.

Any suggestions for next game?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Turada posted:

Any suggestions for next game?

Deus Ex? Amnesia?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Morter posted:

Well, since I have just beaten CS: Condition Zero

Why would you do this to yourself. I struggled through the Quake and Quake 2 expansions a short while ago and then hated myself for playing Opposing Force (it really aged horribly) but then five minutes after starting Condition Zero I was just like hell no it's not worth it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Turada posted:

Any suggestions for next game?
Amnesia, not because it's short or anything, but because it's really good. Then marathon Half-Life 2 and both of the episodes because they are also very good.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Yodzilla posted:

Why would you do this to yourself. I struggled through the Quake and Quake 2 expansions a short while ago and then hated myself for playing Opposing Force (it really aged horribly) but then five minutes after starting Condition Zero I was just like hell no it's not worth it.

Cause I like the botmatches of old games. It's what I grew up on (Unreal 1, UT99, UT2k4).

So sue me :unsmith:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

ManxomeBromide posted:

I consider Episode 2 the best in the series, really, with 5 a respectable second. If you try to cap out your score in Episode 3, it's completely stupid: You have to solve the puzzles in a certain order and then get stuck at exactly the right time - one of the scored achievements is receiving a specific hint. Remember to always use protection when loving that noise.
Episode 2 is my favorite of the ones I've played so far. I thought it was funnier, and the puzzles made more sense, especially compared to 3. I'm not going to worry about capping out my score on any of them, though. I'm only concerned about finishing the story/unlocking free-play.

quote:

I can't help with respect to Blue Shift. However, looking at your Backloggery, maybe give Mass Effect another shot? If you just want a quick palate cleanser (which Mass Effect totally is not), a brief bout of blowing stuff up with Tyrian or Raptor might also be just what the doctor ordered.
I was thinking about trying Mass Effect again soon, so I think I'll go ahead and do that. It's just that I seem to have troubles getting into it. Then again, all of the other Bioware games I've played have started out slow/took me a while to get into, so I'll probably just need to give it some more time. The gameplay is fun enough, I just don't really care for the story so far.

As for Opposing Force, I feel kinda guilty quitting it after such little time. Admittedly, I was in a lousy mood anyways so that may have affected my opinion of it. Then again, I wasn't a huge fan of the first game anyways, so it's no loss (plus I got it in a bundle on sale, so the cost isn't an issue).

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12
Finally got around to updating my Backloggery account with a bunch of small games and daily deals I hadn't bothered with, or just newer games that didn't get put into the system for one reason or another.
I also went through and changed a bunch of unfinished games over to unplayed, which I had been putting off doing for a while.

Not much damage done over the last few months.
Most of the games I bought were ones I actually played through to completion right away - or at least through the main stories enough to call them beaten.
Skyrim is marked as beaten because I finished the main quest, though I know I'll be going back to it once the creation kit is out, and I've almost got Saints Row the Third completed.

I have 173 unfinished games, 100ish of which are unplayed, and my plan for the Christmas holiday is to make a pretty big dent in that number without making the backlog worse during the Christmas sale.
I have my wishlist filled with games and unless those specific titles go on sale for 75% off or more, I won't be buying anything.

I think my next game will be either Space Marine or Darksiders.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I have beaten Everyday Genius! Such as it is. Only 19700+ more puzzles for full completion!

Nah, great game and a fantastic netbook game (at least until you reach some of the Beyond puzzles, you'd go blind trying to see those in 1024x600 resolution), and I'll still poke at it moving forward, but now I can check it off the list. Fantastic gift for any puzzle fans on your gift list this holiday (and it generally gets solid discounts during steam sales too).

Working on Bastion right now as well - pretty fun game. I think I need to stop trying to use so many idols, though, I'm knocking the difficulty straight into "This isn't much fun anymore" levels.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
It begins.

I know this is a Steam thread, but GoG is almost a bigger addiction for me. Discounting nearly their entire catalog is just cruel.

Turada
Jun 17, 2006

On a mission from God
I loaded up Amnesia, then found it you can't play it with a gamepad. Same thing with Deus Ex (which I did complete, but so long ago I want to replay it). I recently had surgery on my ankle so I'm favouring games I can play while still lying down. Cthulhu Saves The World fit the bill, and I wasted 4 hours completing that terrible game. Only cost me about 70p but I'd still rather have lost it down the couch than spent it on that.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Turada posted:

Cthulhu Saves The World fit the bill, and I wasted 4 hours completing that terrible game. Only cost me about 70p but I'd still rather have lost it down the couch than spent it on that.

What exactly didn't you like? Almost everyone seems to have positive opinions regarding it.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Turada posted:

I loaded up Amnesia, then found it you can't play it with a gamepad. Same thing with Deus Ex (which I did complete, but so long ago I want to replay it). I recently had surgery on my ankle so I'm favouring games I can play while still lying down.

Grab Xpadder and you can play literally any game with a gamepad - so long as you don't mind dual-analog FPS controls, but that's kind of a given.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

VisAbsoluta posted:

What exactly didn't you like? Almost everyone seems to have positive opinions regarding it.

I liked Cthulhu Saves the World, but there's no denying it is pretty terrible. The writing is mediocre, the mechanics are repetitive, and the plot is as deep as veneer. But it's a lot less horrible than a lot of the games it is parodying, and streamlines away a lot of the annoyances, so it ends up being a nostalgic good time.

On the other hand, Blackwell Legacy has started off really great. After about an hour and a half I'm pretty much hooked. If you like point and click adventure, this is really good. I'd let Gemini Rue sit on my backlog, but if its anywhere near as entertaining as Blackwell has been so far it'll get completed. I really like the notebook mechanic for driving conversations between characters and making you feel a part of arriving at the mental connections in the story, and the main character is quite entertainingly snarky.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
(:argh: The GOG sales have ruined me. At least I managed to beat the campaign in Duels of the Planeswalkers because my final opponent played Show and Tell, letting me get the Engulfing Slagwurm out on turn 3. GG, dude. I've been playing Crusader: No Remorse more, and I think I'm nearly done. The following may be considered a trip report of sorts.)

To: All WEC Personnel, Echo Sector
From: WEC VP in charge of Site Security
Subject: For God's sake, guys

We've had almost a dozen high-profile rebel incursions in Echo Sector in the past week, with huge amounts of damage and nearly 100% casualties. We have reason to believe that our security recommendations are not being followed.

You are, for instance, sealing blast-proof doors with combination keypads. This is good! However, you are changing the password whenever there's an intruder, and you're emailing the goddamn new password out in plaintext before he leaves. This completely defeats the purpose of keypads. Even the keycards they can take off of a random murdered guard are more secure.

See this? Seriously. Stop loving doing this. Good God. You might as well leave the doors open.

Also, your alarm systems? They're there for a reason, and many of you are pretty good about having your last living action being to set off an alarm at the panel. However, those panels cancel alarms too. When you hear an alarm, a loud firefight, and a canceling of Code Red, you should probably assume the rebel won the fight and is canceling the alarm himself. Especially when it happens three times in five minutes. Essential personnel should consider teleporting to safety when a Code Red is called and not returning to the facility until the area has been vetted by qualified WEC personnel.

I know you all roll your eyes when we say things like "a secure facility is an efficient facility", but we mean it. We are aware that there is an upfront cost to doing these things right, but it also keeps you from getting the flesh flayed off your bones by ultraviolet lasers.

Situations like these can result in significant productivity impacts.

Seriously, stay safe out there, and try to not be completely pants-on-head suicidally stupid. We've got quotas to meet.

Sincerely,
Manxome Bromide
VP, Site Security

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The Crusader series owned so loving hard. I feel like I need to replay them because I have a feeling I was too young to really appreciate them enough back in the day.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

VisAbsoluta posted:

What exactly didn't you like? Almost everyone seems to have positive opinions regarding it.

I agree with him. It was bland, and the humor that was supposed to be the saving grace wasn't even good. Using Internet speak as jokes isn't my idea of wacky humor. "epic win" indeed.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Vrikkian posted:

I agree with him. It was bland, and the humor that was supposed to be the saving grace wasn't even good. Using Internet speak as jokes isn't my idea of wacky humor. "epic win" indeed.

I was kinda looking forward to playing it, but "epic win"? "For the lulz", probably? Really? :suicide:

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
I don't remember, but let's just say that it really shows that this is an indie game. It made me wonder if there should be a stronger content barrier for the stuff going onto XBLA.

Also, my iPad tried to correct indie to "nudie", which if true would have made the game much more interesting.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just beat Red Faction: Armageddon and let me just say gently caress Red Faction: Armageddon. I can't believe how badly Volition screwed this game up and then blamed everyone else for its poor sales. Yeah it sold poorly because it's a terrible game you asshats.

The first hour of this game is kind of cool because it harkens back to Red Faction: Guerrilla with you on the surface of Mars wrecking poo poo. Then the main terraformer gets wrecked by some evil dude and you're blamed and Mars escapes underground because the surface weather is now all hosed up.

Right from the start the story doesn't make any sense because you and assumingly other people have these magic devices that can repair anything by just pointing at where they used to be. The terraformer isn't destroyed it's just disabled and no one repairs it for...some reason. It's never explained but because the atmosphere is changing there are ancient bugs escaping that the evil dude worshiped and you spend the next 6 hours in dark tunnels killing these things.

Yes it's occasionally fun but about a third of the way into the game it's obvious that something went wrong during development because the last 2/3 of the game are a choppy mess that jump all over the place and make even less sense than before. You fight these boring bugs for 90% of the game and while the destruction is cool and never-ending (you get infinite ammo suits a number of times and a power that gives you infinite ammo about halfway through the game) it just gets so old so fast. There's no exploration or experimentation like there was in Guerrilla, just tunnel after tunnel of the same old poo poo. You kill the main bad guy in what's basically an extended quick-time event and then you fight more bugs. Bugs bugs bugs everywhere goddamn they're boring. And easy. Even on hard this game is a cakewalk for anyone that's played an action game before.

Then finally you get to the grand retarded finale where you have to, surprise, power up the terraformer because Earth-like air is what kills the bugs and keeps them away. There's an annoying sequence where you have to repair some machinery and keep it running while infinite bugs respawn and try to disable it on top of you breaking everything with your guns.

What you then realize is that from the very beginning absolutely anyone could have fixed the loving thing in about five minutes without issue. Throw a cheap, forced love story into the game and you've got what had to be embarrassing for any of the animators that had to work on the CG for this schlock.

I'm glad I only spent $7 on it because drat what a disappointment. Also I found out during the end sequence that the power that gives you infinite ammo for weapons doesn't actually work on weapons that you otherwise have run out of ammo for. Good job assholes.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

On that note, I've just uninstalled Borderlands and classified it as "null" on Backloggery after putting 7 hours in it. I was trying to play it for the second time, but seriously, gently caress this noise. It's one of the most goddamn boring games I've ever played, and I'm not the kind of person that gets bored easily. Also, gently caress the "hey, everything that drops sucks, except the weapon that you probably won't even notice because everything else is poo poo" loot system.

Edit: VVVVVVV I was actually playing in co-op with two friends.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 14, 2011

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

VisAbsoluta posted:

On that note, I've just uninstalled Borderlands and classified it as "null" on Backloggery after putting 7 hours in it. I was trying to play it for the second time, but seriously, gently caress this noise. It's one of the most goddamn boring games I've ever played, and I'm not the kind of person that gets bored easily.

Play it with friends. It's designed and built around just that.

If you don't have any friends, I'm pretty sure there's a nicely-sized cadre of goons who are easily willing to play it.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I decided to shelve Fallout 3 for the moment since I can only take so much free-form side-questing in one time. In the meantime, I knocked out Jolly Rover, which was kind of a "meh" experience - despite drawing inspiration from the Monkey Island games and featuring some surprisingly good voice acting, it never really reaches the hilariously absurd highs of its source material. I think I laughed out loud at exactly one joke in the entire game.

Next up on the docket: Doom 3 with the HD Mod installed. I played it on the Xbox (yeah, I know...) back in the day but never got to the end.

E: Aaaaand just picked up the new Humble Indie Bundle, which added Cave Story+, Jamestown, Shank, and Bit.Trip Runner to my queue. One step forward, two steps back. :sigh:

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 14, 2011

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I've been playing nothing but Skyrim and Dungeons of Dredmor, making very little progress. And the Dredmor DLC is dropping tomorrow. And I bought the Humble Bundle and the Indie Royale....

And I've wanted to play Kings Bounty Armored Princess for so long... but I must resist the sale :negative:

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am playing through Bastion right now. About halfway through right now, I'm a slow gamer playing way too much BF3 so I expect it to take me another week to finish it. It is a pretty cool game, it was really hyped up so I'm not sure what to expect later on, or if I was expecting more because of the hype, so....yeah. It's fun, good but not great, nice colors though and the narration is pretty cool. Thinking about picking up the new Humble Indie Bundle, can't give in :negative:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

So, after my Borderlands fiasco, I finally beat Terraria today, ~45 hours in!

I'll probably keep on playing this sparsely, since it's a drat good game that gets free updates routinely. Totally worth the asking price if you have even a passing interest at it.

Now I'm gonna play Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light with a friend on co-op. I've heard it is short, so hopefully it's another game off the backlog soon!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4