Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've been happily using a WD Mybook Live for months to serve media to my pc & appletv. I was dicking around last night with twonky mobile on my android to play music to my appletv, and noticed that it detected the Mybooklive. I didn't do anything with the mybooklive, but as of this afternoon the MBL no longer works, at all. Tried power cycling a bunch, holding in the reset button, swapping ethernet cables, the works. It appears the power still works, with LEDs blinking on the ethernet port, by the front LED is completely inoperative and the MBL won't pick up an ip address through DHCP.

In the meantime I'd uninstalled the android twonky app & now it wants me to pay $5 to use it again, and I'm not even sure that's what caused this issue. And it's not like I'll be able to connect to the MBL again with it not having an IP.

What the hell do I do other than giving WD a call tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
I'm not sure if this or the Enterprise Storage megathread would be the right place to post it, but recently we've been having some strange issues with one of our NAS boxes. If you try to map to the IP in Explorer, it fails to connect. However, mapping to it by using the name works perfectly. It sounds like a DNS issue, but after poking around in the box settings, it appears everything is how it should be.

It's a Iomega® StorCenter™ ix4-200d NAS Server, if that helps at all. Has anyone ever seen an issue like this?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Maybe not the best thread, but I really need someone to tell me "stop being silly, it's fine" (or "JESUS CHRIST WHAT ARE YOU DOING" if necessary).

I just finished installing a Hyper 212+ cooler and the two top screws look like this:

The one on the left won't go down any further without a lot of force (which I'm afraid to apply since I already had to return one cooler because a screw broke); the two bottom screws are about the same height as the one on the right.

Should I be worried that they're not perfectly even? :ohdear:

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

NihilCredo posted:

Maybe not the best thread, but I really need someone to tell me "stop being silly, it's fine" (or "JESUS CHRIST WHAT ARE YOU DOING" if necessary).

I just finished installing a Hyper 212+ cooler and the two top screws look like this:

The one on the left won't go down any further without a lot of force (which I'm afraid to apply since I already had to return one cooler because a screw broke); the two bottom screws are about the same height as the one on the right.

They look even to me. Maybe it's the perspective. But anyway, it sounds like the left one just isn't threaded correctly. Take it all the way out and then put it back in (haw haw haw). I just installed the exact same cooler literally yesterday, and all my screws were even. They should screw in fairly easily until a certain point, and then just stop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NihilCredo posted:

I have had a LGA1366 i7 zip-tied to a motherboard for the last 6 months. I think I sent the X-brace thing back with a DOA motherboard.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there an easy way to hook up a SCSI hard drive to a SATA port?

My boss asked if I had experience fixing desktops and I said a little, as I've built two machines. He has some older desktop with those hot swappable SCSI drives on the front and he believes his motherboard died. Wants to pull the files off the HDD, but obviously that's tough to do when the computer wont boot.

At home I don't have a SCSI card or anything to really try and fool around with it. I was just looking at google to see if there was a simple SCSI to SATA adapter or anything, but all I could find were really, really expensive cards. Like, $400+ cards on newegg that sounded like they'd be what I want, but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any suggestions?

vvvv Sounds like a pain! Now that I think about it, would I just be able to plug the SCSI card into my personal computer, hook up the drive, and pull everything down like that?

edit2; Oh, that looks great, Digital Jesus. I guess I just didn't know what exactly I was looking for and that's how I found the $400 ones, haha.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 8, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sab669 posted:

My boss asked if I had experience fixing desktops and I said a little, as I've built two machines. He has some older desktop with those hot swappable SCSI drives on the front and he believes his motherboard died. Wants to pull the files off the HDD, but obviously that's tough to do when the computer wont boot.

At home I don't have a SCSI card or anything to really try and fool around with it. I was just looking at google to see if there was a simple SCSI to SATA adapter or anything, but all I could find were really, really expensive cards. Like, $400+ cards on newegg that sounded like they'd be what I want, but I'm not sure.

I can't think of an easy way, you will likely need some kind of PCI(e) SCSI controller card, which will interface the drives to the system. Maybe you can look for old servers on craigslist that sport this interface, or look for older SCSI controllers.

This gets more difficult if the original SCSI drives are part of a RAID set, in which case you'll need to know the model of that original SCSI controller.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Bah, gently caress, thought it had a connector change. Still looking for you, hold on!

Newegg, PCI Card, $70

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816129010

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 8, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's a slow (40MB/s) card, I have a bunch of Ultra 160s I'd be happy to sell you for like half that price.

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

I have been looking into building/buying a server for basic storage, streaming, transcoding and visualization. Now I have never really worked with servers before, so I am curious how server hardware compares to desktop hardware. What hardware specifications I should be shooting for to achieve this goal. Would I be better off building this server using energy efficient desktop hardware? or should I stick with Server hardware. Any help would be much appreciated.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

likw1d posted:

I have been looking into building/buying a server for basic storage, streaming, transcoding and visualization. Now I have never really worked with servers before, so I am curious how server hardware compares to desktop hardware. What hardware specifications I should be shooting for to achieve this goal. Would I be better off building this server using energy efficient desktop hardware? or should I stick with Server hardware. Any help would be much appreciated.

Swing by the Packrats Unite/NAS thread, and we will be happy to help you out!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I want this specific nettop. What is the difference between these two listings? I cant find one, but there has to be some sot of catch. 250 is the normal rate for these things.

http://www.amazon.com/Zbox-Sff-Fusion-E350-DDR3-1066/dp/B004VUODIA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323395164&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-ZBOX-1-6GHz-Barebone-ZBOX-AD02-U/dp/B004XYJLY0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323395164&sr=8-1

dammit amazon! :argh:

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

movax posted:

Swing by the Packrats Unite/NAS thread, and we will be happy to help you out!

Awesome, I will check it out. I figured this thread was more suited for my question but it looks like the Packrats Unite/NAS thread could better suit my needs.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004
Is it easy to reapply thermal paste to a cpu? My laptop has been overheating and I'm pretty sure that's whats doing it. My friend took it apart to clean the fans and I believe he commented on the thermal paste looking thin/worn.

I'm just wondering if I can do it at home.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
On a desktop, yes, absolutely. On a laptop, you could be looking at a major disassembly procedure before you can even try to replace the thermal grease, and a finicky reassembly afterwards. See if you can Google up the laptop's service manual to check out all of the steps you would need to do.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

The Valuum posted:

Is it easy to reapply thermal paste to a cpu? My laptop has been overheating and I'm pretty sure that's whats doing it. My friend took it apart to clean the fans and I believe he commented on the thermal paste looking thin/worn.

I'm just wondering if I can do it at home.

If you or your friend took it apart to the point where you can actually see the thermal paste, you need to reapply it - it's only good for one application. You might want to see if your friend did this.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Oddhair posted:

It's not really hardware, but does anyone know how to get a Windows 7 key from an offline drive? A friend of mine/employee of my lawyer brought me a computer with a clicking HD. To further complicate it this thing has Truecrypt full-drive encryption on it. I don't yet know if I'll even be able to get anything off of it, but if I can only grab his docs and maybe the Windows key that should be fine.

I'm going to try both the ~ahem~ percussive method and the freezer trick if necessary.

Edit: Windows 7

VVVV It's worn entirely away, he didn't know to stick some tape over it when it was new.

Just in case anyone is interested, I was able to beat the drive into functionality unstick the heads and backup his profile, then install Acronis, then run chkdsk /R since Acronis wouldn't clone it as it was. After a long chkdsk operation, I was also able to clone the drive to a newer one, though the booting was screwed due to Truecrypt. He's up and running on a replacement machine with his whole profile intact. It was a tense Monday evening.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Really stupid question: I've got a barely-in-warranty Seagate hard drive that CrystalDiskInfo is telling me Caution on due to the Reallocated Sectors Count. I went to their RMA thing, ran their stupid SeaTools software, and it's telling me my drive is fine. Do I need to call/email them about this and tell them the SMART data tells me it's hosed, or what?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr. Habibi posted:

Really stupid question: I've got a barely-in-warranty Seagate hard drive that CrystalDiskInfo is telling me Caution on due to the Reallocated Sectors Count. I went to their RMA thing, ran their stupid SeaTools software, and it's telling me my drive is fine. Do I need to call/email them about this and tell them the SMART data tells me it's hosed, or what?
I swear to god I read this question yesterday. Now I have to find it.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I swear to god I read this question yesterday. Now I have to find it.

There's a question about it but doesn't say anything about whether or not their stupid utility doesn't spit out the magic code so you can fill out their online RMA thing.

Guess what I'm saying is I hate calling Seagate. The last time I did for an RMA I was on the phone forever (albeit this was years and years ago).

e: it's also entirely possible I lack basic reading comprehension.

ex2: yep, I can't read, found it:

grumperfish posted:

Seagate has a no-questions-asked RMA process for this. If you get a reallocated sector or other major SMART error (but the drive's not "failed" per their tool) you'd simply enter their generic drive error field on their support site and they'll replace it without trouble.

Had to do this fairly often in the 7200.11 days :mad:
Not so much now though.

I guess so this post is less stupid: how hardline are they about what you ship it back in? I feel silly going to find an antistatic bag for an external hard drive (which is what their instructions say to do).

Dr. Habibi fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 9, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am trying to conserve energy and I am having a problem with a new computer I just built. It does not seem to want to go to sleep for poo poo. I messed with all the options in the BIOS like S3/S5, wake up on USB or LAN, stuff like that. When I click sleep in Windows 7, the monitor goes off but all the fans are still spinning and I can eject the DVD drive with no problem.

I have sleep mode enabled in Windows 7, I have messed with all the power settings I can think of. I've never had this issue with a computer before. If someone could help me figure this out I'd appreciate it.

Also, it is hooked up to a printer that is on my network. So does this computer need to be on if I want to print from a different room in the house or from my laptop?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Hamburglar posted:

I am trying to conserve energy and I am having a problem with a new computer I just built. It does not seem to want to go to sleep for poo poo. I messed with all the options in the BIOS like S3/S5, wake up on USB or LAN, stuff like that. When I click sleep in Windows 7, the monitor goes off but all the fans are still spinning and I can eject the DVD drive with no problem.

I have sleep mode enabled in Windows 7, I have messed with all the power settings I can think of. I've never had this issue with a computer before. If someone could help me figure this out I'd appreciate it.

Also, it is hooked up to a printer that is on my network. So does this computer need to be on if I want to print from a different room in the house or from my laptop?
You should probably post a thread in the Haus of Tech Support, make sure you use the template in the sticky Rules thread. Regarding your latter question, yes the computer needs to be on to use the printer connected to it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Alereon posted:

You should probably post a thread in the Haus of Tech Support, make sure you use the template in the sticky Rules thread. Regarding your latter question, yes the computer needs to be on to use the printer connected to it.

Thanks. Since the computer has to be on for the printer to work, the sleep issue is moot point anyway.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 9, 2011

MacDeuce
Oct 23, 2010
Not sure where this goes sorry if I’m in the wrong thread. I’m currently having graphics problems running BF3, I recently changed my Graphics card, Power supply and monitor.

I get weird geometrical shapes in the image at random moments after playing for a little while (sometimes 30 minutes in, sometimes after an hour, although I’ve played for 2 hours without it happening).

The shapes appear in different manners, the most frequent is huge triangular shapes in the middle of the screen when I’m scoping, on some maps I’ll get weird shapes that come from any sources of light, and they’ll disappear if I shoot out the lights.

People have told me that this could be an overheating problem, or it could be because I haven’t downloaded all the sufficient Drivers and BIOS updates (I’m pretty sure I have, downloaded the most recent update from the EVGA website.

If it helps, I’m using:

EVGA GTX 560 Ti
Asus 1080p monitor connected by an HDMI
and a 8GB RAM Quad-Core.

Thanks goons.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
Your video card is probably failing. Call up EVGA and ask for a warranty RMA.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
If you haven't overclocked your graphics card, serious artifacting is usually a sign the card is no good. It could be overheating, sure, but as long as the fan is actually working and your case isn't a sauna, a graphics card should cope with that fine at stock speeds.

Since you say you recently bought it, I'd seriously consider sending it in for an RMA.

First though, don't use the manufacturer's site for drivers, head over straight to NVIDIA's site for the driver.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The only question is "GPU or memory failing?" 'cause that symptom could be caused by either but yeah RMA that sucker.

MacDeuce
Oct 23, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

but as long as the fan is actually working and your case isn't a sauna

It's an old case, I didn't build the PC from scratch it's an HP Quad-Core I got about 2 years ago, the case is pretty tight but everything fit in juste barely, could that be the problem? (not enough room for airflow)

First of all I'll get all the drivers off NVIDIA's site. If the problem persists I guess I'll just take off the side panel on my case and see if that helps the overheating problem.

If the issue still persists, it seems my only option is to replace the card.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

MacDeuce posted:

It's an old case, I didn't build the PC from scratch it's an HP Quad-Core I got about 2 years ago

Power supply just became a possible culprit.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Before you go too crazy, are the problems ONLY in BF3? That's a known issue with the 560Ti, the latest nvidia drivers (grab the most recent beta, although I think it's fixed in the most recent whql release) and I think the most recent BF3 patch fix that.

edit: I see you are already doing that. well, that oughta work.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Did we ever have a thread here for old computers and exotic computers? I have a few machines I keep around for sentimental value and I'm always trying to bring them back to life in some for or another. I find it a good distraction from the other computer poo poo I have to do at work.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Did we ever have a thread here for old computers and exotic computers?
Yes it's in the good computer forum.

YOSPOS

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My case fan (think it's 120mm, came with the Antec case) has stopped working. Just replacing it is easy enough but I was looking at the reviews on Newegg and other stuff I Googled and I see a lot of "these fans barely do anything anyway". Looking at my CPU/GPU temps and they've hardly budged from where I remember them being before, either idling or under load. It's a very modest gaming desktop. Is this something I should do urgently or try to minimize use until I do or no big deal?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Unless you have some massive amounts of heat that need to be moved out, one or two exaust fans near the CPU is all you'll ever really need.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Fans do matter, but if your broken one clearly is not, I wouldn't worry overmuch. Pick up a nice fan at your leisure.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
E: Resolved, see bottom.

Urgh. Let's play a round of "CPU, RAM, or Motherboard".

I recently got back a system that was damaged in shipping. The motherboard had some caps knocked around when the heatsink detached, and I was told that the system would "not turn on" after the heatsink was reattached. When I got the system back, I also noted some CPU socket pins were bent, which I assumed came from the re-mounting because there was a shitload of thermal grease on the CPU and heatsink bottom.

I cleaned up the CPU, and it looked fine. I bought a new motherboard. I install everything, hit the power button, and the fans spin up and screen syncs, but I get no image on DVI or VGA, USB devices power off shortly after establishing a connection, and no computing seems to happen.

Clearing the CMOS doesn't seem to help. Needless to say, everything worked when I sent it off.

Difficulty: the motherboard has no speaker nor a speaker header. It has no error lights. Its manual does not have a troubleshooting section. The 24/7 tech support line has no techs on duty.

CPU: Core i3 540
Motherboard: Zotac H55ITX-C-E
RAM: This 8GB kit of Mushkin Silverline

I'm going to keep plugging at it, but if somebody has a bright idea, I'm all ears.

E: RAM! One dead DIMM.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 10, 2011

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002
Can I build someone a computer and mix a drop of something like fart-scented oil with the thermal compound, so their computer will smell like a hot turd for all eternity?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Fishmasher posted:

Can I build someone a computer and mix a drop of something like fart-scented oil with the thermal compound, so their computer will smell like a fat turd for all eternity?

best question ever asked in this thread

I don't know, you should try it though. You could poop inside an optical drive as well, and then insert that into the computer.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Buy one of these fans, install it in the normal exhaust spot but backwards. Smear poop on the fan blades.

When your victim powers the system on, whiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRR *splatter*.

E: I'm not sure it would work. Liquid rear end needs to be able to evaporate and probably wouldn't work well in a tight grease seal.

But as a consolation prize, I found cat pee flavored lip balm while I was searching for that.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Factory Factory posted:

E: I'm not sure it would work. Liquid rear end needs to be able to evaporate and probably wouldn't work well in a tight grease seal.

But as a consolation prize, I found cat pee flavored lip balm while I was searching for that.
Just imagine being the Q/A tester for these... :allears:

• Locked thread