Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kingtheninja posted:

What's been going on in the latest book series? The last one I read was a year ago, where Saba takes over the council at the end. Has it ended yet and have they stopped chasing abeloth everywhere?

I'm only a couple chapters into the current one, but no. Hahahaha no. The series has been mediocre at best, with two decent opening books and not much else. But at least we have a Troy Denning wrap-up book to look forward to. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.
I think the best thing that can be said about FOTJ is that it is benign. It may be poor EU, but unlike LOTF it isn't inflicting negative permanent changes, meaning it can be more or less brushed over like other bad EU (Black Fleet Crisis, Corellian trilogy, Bounty Hunter wars, etc. etc.). It might even be beneficial in the long term if it unfixes the stupidity with which its predecessor ended, and grows a few characters for future authors with less quota-meeting targets to use.

I found Conviction so tedious that I was stuck reading it for months and only found the motivation to finish it by listening to the audio book. I'm treating myself to Choices of One before I tackle Ascension.

DougieFFC fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 9, 2011

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

DougieFFC posted:

I think the best thing that can be said about FOTJ is that it is benign. It may be poor EU, but unlike LOTF it isn't inflicting negative permanent changes, meaning it can be more or less brushed over like other bad EU (Black Fleet Crisis, Corellian trilogy, Bounty Hunter wars, etc. etc.). It might even be beneficial in the long term if it unfixes the stupidity with which its predecessor ended, and grows a few characters for future authors with less quota-meeting targets to use.

I found Conviction so tedious that I was stuck reading it for months and only found the motivation to finish it by listening to the audio book. I'm treating myself to Choices of One before I tackle Ascension.
gently caress you LOTF. Grand Admiral Pellaeon. Mara Jade. Jacen Solo :negative:

That's what we thought about the New Jedi Order too but that didn't really turn out to anything.
vvvvvvvv

VaultAggie fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 9, 2011

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
At the very least, FOTJ seems to be setting things up for a torch passing. I wouldn't be surprised if the next series jumps forward a few decades and kills off the big three without mentioning how they died. I'd read a series starring Ben, Jaina, Jagged, Vestara, etc.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

VaultAggie posted:

gently caress you LOTF. Grand Admiral Pellaeon. Mara Jade. Jacen Solo :negative:

Last guy really wasn't a loss, it isn't like Jacen Solo had a personality anyways.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SeanBeansShako posted:

Last guy really wasn't a loss, it isn't like Jacen Solo had a personality anyways.

Remember when he was really into animals and poo poo?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Remember when they turned that into a really net positive and made him an actually interesting character with potential?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

arioch posted:

Remember when they turned that into a really net positive and made him an actually interesting character with potential?

I don't remember much after the first book of Legacy, I hit the bottle hard. The bits where he murders half his friends and family are disturbingly dark and depressing for Star Wars.

Before it was just the occasional loss of limb and nuclear explosion.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't remember much after the first book of Legacy, I hit the bottle hard. The bits where he murders half his friends and family are disturbingly dark and depressing for Star Wars.

Before it was just the occasional loss of limb and nuclear explosion.

He's talking about Traitor.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I hate this thread for reminding me that I have a would-be nephew named Jacen. I always forget about it until I see it written.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I've been working my way through the NJO books and my question is, am I better off just reading the wiki synopsis of Dark Journey? Because it is both incredibly boring and poorly written. I thought Stackpole character dialogue was unrealistic, but this book has them explaining every single thing they say aloud, like subtlety is illegal or something.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I've been working my way through the NJO books and my question is, am I better off just reading the wiki synopsis of Dark Journey? Because it is both incredibly boring and poorly written. I thought Stackpole character dialogue was unrealistic, but this book has them explaining every single thing they say aloud, like subtlety is illegal or something.

For this book, yes. Dark Journey is an angst filled boring mess that really adds little to the plot. The best part is Han starting a big fight with some hapans.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Lobok posted:

I hate this thread for reminding me that I have a would-be nephew named Jacen. I always forget about it until I see it written.

My uncle just had a son and named him Jacen, and as soon as I heard it was spelled like that I just face-palmed like a motherfucker.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

For this book, yes. Dark Journey is an angst filled boring mess that really adds little to the plot. The best part is Han starting a big fight with some hapans.

The image of an elderly Han Solo kicking some space fop in the junk is slightly better than him in his youth going kung-fu on a space otter.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Honestly at this point I hope they remake the entire series. Episodes 1-6 and the entire EU. Wait about 20 years and let someone reimagine Star Wars.

Also there is a thread in TVIV about The Clone Wars. You can watch every episode here. If you are willing to read awful Star Wars books you can also watch an awful TV series.

http://www.starwars.com/watch/the-clone-wars/
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437081

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

At the very least, FOTJ seems to be setting things up for a torch passing. I wouldn't be surprised if the next series jumps forward a few decades and kills off the big three without mentioning how they died. I'd read a series starring Ben, Jaina, Jagged, Vestara, etc.

They don't have to kill them off. Just move it forward five years and stick the OT characters in the background or behind the scenes like 70+ people should be in wartime.

Luke Skywalker can still make the occasional cameo rear end-kicking, Leia can be a senator and Han can be in charge of a smuggling consortium a la Talon Karrde or something. This is how it should have been after NJO anyway.

DougieFFC fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 11, 2011

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DougieFFC posted:

They don't have to kill them off. Just move it forward five years and stick the OT characters in the background or behind the scenes like 70+ people should be in wartime.

Luke Skywalker can still make the occasional cameo rear end-kicking, Leia can be a senator and Han can be in charge of a smuggling consortium a la Talon Karrde or something. This is how it should have been after NJO anyway.

If they're still breathing, someone will want to use them in a starring role.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

^^
Yup.

DougieFFC posted:

This was how it was originally supposed to be in the NJO. You can still see some of it in Vector Prime, I feel like, with the bigger emphasis on the Solo Kids and others their approximate age (Wurth, Ganner, Danni). Then they clearly got cold feet, so that two books after Vector Prime is an entirely Han-centered trilogy. (Which I didn't even think was that bad, even if it's not Luceno's best - it's best seen as a callback to the Daley Han Solo books).

Speaking of Han taking on Karrde's role, it dawned on me that of all the characters introduced in the Thrawn Trilogy at the start of the modern EU, Karrde, Winter and Jaina are the only ones still around (and even Jaina wasn't even a true character in TTT). I wonder how Zahn feels, seeing his big starting cast get whittled away so much.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I'm going to quote a post I made way back when.

"The NJO set up an entire new galaxy for Star Wars authors to write in, one that had almost unlimited potential. It did it's job of having a "changing of the guard" so to speak of the younger generation coming into the forefront with the Big 3 taking a more secondary role. Jacen especially was all set up take up the title as the main Jedi protagonist.

They completely threw all the massive character and plot development away and instead decided to do stupid poo poo. The Big 3 are still the total focus of the books and the younger generation is almost all entirely dead. The entire point of the NJO, to bring Star Wars EU into a new age, was completely abandoned. Retards."

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Does anyone have the quote by some author who said that Lucas opened up this amazing playground for them to play in and KJA went and pissed in the sand?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Does anyone have the quote by some author who said that Lucas opened up this amazing playground for them to play in and KJA went and pissed in the sand?

P-cannon. Does anybody like KJA?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Carnaticum posted:

P-cannon. Does anybody like KJA?

Not only is he a lovely writer, but he is the one who gave us Daala. So gently caress no.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not only is he a lovely writer, but he is the one who gave us Daala. So gently caress no.

He was the one responsible for Ms "I never slept with Tarkin to advance my career except I did"?

I hope he rots in all the hells there ever were.

e: me know stuff.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Kevin J. Anderson brought Darksaber into the world and for this alone I maintain my support of capital punishment, but just for him and his loved ones.

A Curved Phallus
Jul 24, 2011

Everything was better in the ninties.
Darksaber was my first Star Wars novel, and I loved it.

Sorry?

That said, the EU never bothered me, I liked what I liked and ignored everything else.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I like the couple who gave us Captain Planet Jedi Prince better than KJA.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

A Curved Phallus posted:

Darksaber was my first Star Wars novel, and I loved it.

Sorry?

Same here. Except I read it when I was 10.

Then I read the Thrawn Trilogy last year and loved the poo poo out of it, and realize Darksaber was a huge shitstain on the great start that Zahn gave the EU.

I really hope they make collectors editions of the rest of the Thrawn Trilogy. The notes in Heir to the Empire really make it worth while.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I really like the Thrawn trilogy, but it's the only EU series I've ever been able to finish. (unless you count the Jedi Apprentice series, and that's only because I was young and stupid, and the book fair always had copies)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Good EU, I cannot recommend TIE Fighter and X Wing Alliance enough.

They work really great with a 360 controller.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Remember when he was really into animals and poo poo?
And then Jaina is all technologically inclined, and THEY'RE TWINS, AND:suicide:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Is this a good time to mention that Buckley has taken on SW:TOR? "Part I" :negative:

Relaps
Sep 21, 2011

Butts.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Is this a good time to mention that Buckley

It is never a good time to mention Buckley, ever. :colbert:

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

And then Jaina is all technologically inclined, and THEY'RE TWINS, AND:suicide:

You do have to cut YJK some slack for being a children's series. 2-3 buletpoint character definitions where somewhat normal.

Ofcourse all of KJA's "adult" eu novels read like YA books anyway, he didn't have to drop the bar much.

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

McDowell posted:

Speaking of Good EU, I cannot recommend TIE Fighter and X Wing Alliance enough.

They work really great with a 360 controller.

I always thought there would be too many Keyboard commands to assign to the controller so I never tried. How have you set yours up?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I just read Rogue Planet.

That was TERRIBLE.

Edit: Also just finished Death Star (novel).

That was...... acceptable. Only real nitpick I wanted to sperge about was the random Separatist battleship spewing out 1,000,000 X-Wings.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Insane Totoro posted:

That was TERRIBLE.

Going by pre-AOTC prequel novels, The Approaching Storm is far worse. Cloak of Deception is great, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Is this a good time to mention that Buckley has taken on SW:TOR? "Part I" :negative:

Tim Buckley hasn't played KOTOR in two years.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Starting to re-read I, Jedi. This isn't quite as bad as I remember it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Insane Totoro posted:

Starting to re-read I, Jedi. This isn't quite as bad as I remember it.

If you overlook the usual smug Corran Horn and some of the slower paced bits with the Jedi students it isn't bad but not great either.

EU comfort food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Insane Totoro posted:

That was TERRIBLE.

Edit: Also just finished Death Star (novel).

That was...... acceptable. Only real nitpick I wanted to sperge about was the random Separatist battleship spewing out 1,000,000 X-Wings.

I didn't read the book, but I read its Wookiepedia article earlier and I think I posted about it earlier in the thread, but yeah, stupid sneaking in a prequel reference (Lucrehulk "battleship") filled with far more high-end starfighters than the "rag-tag" group of Rebels should have at that point. Granted, it's Star Wars, but still, the design for the T-65, if I recall correctly, was stolen/liberated from the nationalized Incom corporation, and then they just kinda came out of random factories secreted out everywhere.

Just given my personal experience and knowledge with current 21st-century aeronautical manufacturing, my brain sometimes can't ignore the fact that sci-fi mostly glosses over that part. I guess I'm just jealous and wish our real-life manufacturing was that easy. :(

e: I guess you can excuse a lot of it by just factoring in the scale of the SW galaxy; didn't "trillions perish" in the whole Vong invasion?
e2: Zahn, naturally, was a boss and at least showed Thrawn hitting Nkllon for raw materials to feed his shipyards though, which was nice. Still, I wonder how many people and how long it takes to get a pile of raw material to turn into a commissioned, battle-ready Imperial star destroyer. Specifically, ten thousand of them (or however many that one quote said the Fleet had).

movax fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 12, 2011