Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I like watching people's methods for "mashing" in UMVC3 at the arcade. some guys move their finger to one button just to mash like crazy, other guys use their fingers to graze as many buttons as possible.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter if you press them all at once or if you piano, and it doesn't take nearly as much effort (for some of the slower hypers) as people seem to make it look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

The Crusher posted:

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter if you press them all at once or if you piano

It doesn't. The game only cares how many times a button is being pushed, whether it be 1 button or 3 you get the same result if you put in enough inputs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bum's Haggar/Hulk/Chris team is hilarious.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Boxman posted:

Gotta remember to just mash with LMH.

You really gotta. Mashing mechanic doesn't register S anyway.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

What's Dr. Dooms new midscreen combo of choice? I cannot get the buk loop to work anymore for some reason. Cannot ever get the second relaunch.

edit: wait, if I slow down a bunch I can get it to work still. But is there anything better than the buk loop now?

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 10, 2011

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

AXE COP posted:

Sick mindgames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuTDG47jXAQ&hd=1

Why does Zero keep saying "Julio"? I've always felt this franchise needed someone named Julio. It's like he's rubbing it in that there isn't one.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

NecroMonster posted:

What's Dr. Dooms new midscreen combo of choice? I cannot get the buk loop to work anymore for some reason. Cannot ever get the second relaunch.

edit: wait, if I slow down a bunch I can get it to work still. But is there anything better than the buk loop now?

You can do the second relaunch by just doing hard kick (f+H) right after you land. It has really lenient timing, which is nice for playing online or if you realize that you've messed up the timing and left them too high up for the usual relaunch.

The other midscreen combo that people have started using with Doom is:

S, j.MM, f+H, S, air dash df, whiff j.M to fall faster, triangle jump forward, HS, repeat

You can see it in action here.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Don't know if this has been covered in the thread, but I did google and youtube searches without finding anything so:

I came across a trivial camera glitch using Iron Man. You can do this anywhere on screen: cr. l, cr. m, st. h, l Repulsar Blast into any of his three hyper combos. Wait for l Repulsar to end, leaving the opponent above and behind Iron Man. At that point initiate any of his hyper combos. If done properly, during the startup for Iron Avenger the camera will show IM from behind. It will show him from behind for all of both Proton Canon hypers.

Edit: Forgot to add that an easier way to connect Proton Canon for this glitch is to cancel the last hit of l Repulsar Blast into PC.

JesusLovesRonwell fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 10, 2011

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Brett824 posted:

Yeah Bum is really good with low tier and was a top Melee player in the NYC for a while. He's probably NY's best kept secret right now because he plays a ton against top players at his house but never comes out to tournaments.

Wait, he played Melee? Wasn't he that guy that kept destroying everyone with DK of all people?

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Wait, he played Melee? Wasn't he that guy that kept destroying everyone with DK of all people?

Yes, he did work with that ape.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I finally landed the Wolverine infinite online and i never got a faster ragequit and mail.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

GoodCleanFun posted:

Yes, he did work with that ape.

That explains everything.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Brosnan posted:

During the second air series, you have to doublejump after the MM (before HS). Strider's doublejump causes him to fall faster than a standard jump, and if you don't do this, you won't land early enough for legion to connect.

You should also practice getting this off a grab, since it gives you some good damage to tack on and also it's really fun to do once you have it down:

Oh wow, I had no idea double jump made him fall faster. I'm definitely working on these, big thanks. I sounded a bit standoff-ish about him in my post but I really like the speed and the options Strider has. I just couldn't figure out a drat thing on my own.

I could use help deciding on a Vergil assist to use with him, too. Right now I have Quick Work on Deadpool for low hitting assist/overhead teleport shenanigans (also to help extend a combo after a down+forward H slide OTG, though the timing is strict), but Vergil's is Judgement Cut and it hasn't really played much a role yet for either character. Rapid Slash works for Deadpool because it drags 'em real far away, but that's sort of the opposite of what I want to do on Strider. Can't see anything utilizing that Rising Kick assist, either.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Glass Eater posted:

So last night I stumbled across this dude named Bum who was running Haggar/Hulk/Chris. He was murdering everybody. 3-0'd Noel Brown, he actually got in on Dieminion with Haggar of all people.

There's quite a few matches in this archive somewhere: http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3/b/302097436

I think he starts around 42:40, names are wrong so Crazy Joe is actually Bum. Right off the bat, a Haggar 100% combo on Nemesis :cool:

This poo poo is amazing, I love seeing what pros can do when they aren't just tier whoring, I especially enjoyed the people that snapped in Haggar or killed him fast thinking he's the biggest threat, then Bum goes on to win anyway. That crossover hyper is loving nasty to.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Lothire posted:

Oh wow, I had no idea double jump made him fall faster. I'm definitely working on these, big thanks. I sounded a bit standoff-ish about him in my post but I really like the speed and the options Strider has. I just couldn't figure out a drat thing on my own.

I could use help deciding on a Vergil assist to use with him, too. Right now I have Quick Work on Deadpool for low hitting assist/overhead teleport shenanigans (also to help extend a combo after a down+forward H slide OTG, though the timing is strict), but Vergil's is Judgement Cut and it hasn't really played much a role yet for either character. Rapid Slash works for Deadpool because it drags 'em real far away, but that's sort of the opposite of what I want to do on Strider. Can't see anything utilizing that Rising Kick assist, either.

Vergil only has one good assist and that's Rapid Slash.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Alteisen posted:

This poo poo is amazing, I love seeing what pros can do when they aren't just tier whoring, I especially enjoyed the people that snapped in Haggar or killed him fast thinking he's the biggest threat, then Bum goes on to win anyway. That crossover hyper is loving nasty to.

It's crazy but this team is kind of like a real Marvel version of Zangief, in the sense that yeah it's a hell of a time to get in but once he does the pressure/mix up game and damage payoff is so totally in his favor.

I really think people just needed to try everything they could to lame out Haggar and Hulk, even Diemion was using VJoe to challenge them and it usually ended up costing him either VJoe or an assist.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day
Hey can we stop referring to zoning and defensive play as "lame"? That's just dumb and childish. Play to win.

And before everyone jumps down my throat I don't even play that style. My team is Wesker/Vergil/Strider. It's just really dumb to criticize someone's playstyle if it wins or if it's the smart thing to do in the situation.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Lame is what that playstyle is known as in a lot of circles, it's gone way past refering to it as a lame strategy or tactic. It's not a criticism.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Yeah when I call Dieminion the King of Lame I mean that as a compliment. It really does take a special kind of mindset to be that good at keep away, especially in Marvel 3.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Chocolate America posted:

Hey can we stop referring to zoning and defensive play as "lame"? That's just dumb and childish. Play to win.
No, 'lame' refers to a specific playstyle. If you say someone is being defensive, it isn't the same as playing lame.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Cat Machine posted:

No, 'lame' refers to a specific playstyle. If you say someone is being defensive, it isn't the same as playing lame.

OK then what is the ~official~ definition of "lame"? Because I think that term should go.

Zoning is zoning and defensive is defensive. People started calling it "lame" because it's not all manly brave rushdown or whatever hypermasculine bullshit people project onto these games and that's just outdated as hell, even as a compliment.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I think you're reading too much into this on a level that even Broken Loose would be ashamed of

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I had to look it up too, and it seemed to be playing off of a life lead you have and basically trying to win by not taking any real risks and letting the timer count down to win by that life lead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, it's like saying we're insulting Tokido when we call him Dirty. It's just FG slang.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Cat Machine posted:

I think you're reading too much into this on a level that even Broken Loose would be ashamed of

Words mean things. The word "lame" already has a definition. That's all I'm saying here. I'll drop it after this post.

PSWII60 posted:

I had to look it up too, and it seemed to be playing off of a life lead you have and basically trying to win by not taking any real risks and letting the timer count down to win by that life lead.

The word "lame" has a negative connotation here and that almost certainly comes from the outdated idea that people are "dishonorable" for playing this way. I think pretty much everyone ITT agrees on the philosophy of Play To Win so taking advantage of a life lead and making your opponent come to you and minimizing risk should not be described in a negative way if it results in a win.

OK that's all I'm gonna say and I'll drop it now. Thanks for your time.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

hey guys. I'm in the NY area and I've been thinking about putting together a tournament out of my space, can anyone advise me on how to go about this and/or general tips for running a tournament properly?? I'm thinking $5 entry fee with the winnings split between the top 3.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

Boxman posted:

I like how Gootecks is just :geno: while Mike is going to loving town on that stick.

I like how Gootecks tries to get cocky only to lose more matches on the shows (Has he actually won anything?).

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Words mean things. The word "lame" already has a definition. That's all I'm saying here. I'll drop it after this post.

This lame argument is pretty lame. And yes words mean things, but context is huge. It's not the same meaning of lame like that time you walked in on your gf and your best friend(s) and you were all like 'loving lame dude.' It means something else entirely. In fact, the fgc's usage of that word is actually closer to its dictionary definition, than the more colloquial usage you're so wrapped up about.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

The word "lame" has a negative connotation here and that almost certainly comes from the outdated idea that people are "dishonorable" for playing this way. I think pretty much everyone ITT agrees on the philosophy of Play To Win so taking advantage of a life lead and making your opponent come to you and minimizing risk should not be described in a negative way if it results in a win.

Lame/cheap/etc. aren't just about describing the style of play, FGC uses them sarcastically now to separate itself from and insult players outside the community who began using the terms unironically. People aren't saying the play is literally cheap, they're saying other people who don't get FGs would call it cheap but gently caress those people keep doing it.

Anyway I think you're a little off but I don't think the discussion is dumb!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mio Bison posted:

Anyway I think you're a little off but I don't think the discussion is dumb!

It's pretty talky, in fact.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
God, I'm trying to do these missions for the various characters, and I must be suffering from stupid fingers or something, because I can't get these hyper cancels to work for poo poo. ESPECIALLY in the air.

Do a forward fireball motion and hit an attack button, then immediately follow with the same motion and hit TWO attack buttons. It should be easy. Why is this a nightmare for me? :sigh:

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
Try doing it with input display enabled so you can see where you’re going wrong.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Do a forward fireball motion and hit an attack button, then immediately follow with the same motion and hit TWO attack buttons. It should be easy. Why is this a nightmare for me? :sigh:

I can almost guarantee you're pushing the buttons too early. You have more time than you think.

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

God, I'm trying to do these missions for the various characters, and I must be suffering from stupid fingers or something, because I can't get these hyper cancels to work for poo poo. ESPECIALLY in the air.

Try and do it right first then speed it fast. Make sure you are getting both moves out at least even if it doesn't combo at first. You will have the motions working fine and all you need to adjust the timing until it works. That's the way I try and do things sometimes to help with my execution and get it to click. Even if it doesn't always work at first I at least try and can see where my timing is good or bad.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
So I finally found a keep away team of my dreams and stickin' with Ghost Rider. One question though, it seems like I can handle most basic rush down except for two problems.

Dante/Virgil overhead teleports. What can you do as GR to handle it? Tried jumping back/forward/whatever and always seem to get caught in a horrible cross-up. I know GR's super will catch it and punish it, but it's is there any basic way to handle it being spammed?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

big duck equals goose posted:

So I finally found a keep away team of my dreams and stickin' with Ghost Rider. One question though, it seems like I can handle most basic rush down except for two problems.

Dante/Virgil overhead teleports. What can you do as GR to handle it? Tried jumping back/forward/whatever and always seem to get caught in a horrible cross-up. I know GR's super will catch it and punish it, but it's is there any basic way to handle it being spammed?

Backdash + back H. Don't let yourself get pushed all of the way into the corner. Sometimes the backdash won't be necessary.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Depending on your team this probably won't help but against Dantes that predictably spam their port in certain situations I've had a lot of luck timing Hidden Missiles assist to counter it. Since he can only pop up right above and behind you a lot of bad Dantes I've faced teleport right into the missiles as they come up handing me a free combo. There's not a whole lot I'm aware he can do to counter it except stop spamming his teleport. If he gets wise to your plan and starts faking a port and then using Million Dollars to try and punish Doom you can just snap him during the hyper's startup flash assuming you're on the ground or hit him out of it with a j.S if you jumped for whatever reason. This strategy is a lot more risky against people like Vergil who can decide to teleport in front of you and get a happy birthday if you're not careful, though.

As you guys mentioned Maelstrom and Spire are both relatively solid options as well, as are some other anti-air assists (Hulk's is great for this, although I haven't been using him with GR myself) and while right now they can throw tech during the port once that gets patched out you can scoop them on reaction and reset things since GRs throws put them at a healthy distance.

I really think teleporters for the most part are some of GRs hardest matchups, though, and as a lot of people (myself included) are seeing him as a very matchup oriented character that's saying a lot. When used properly by a good player (not being predictable and spamming, using them while you're in blockstun from an assist, etc.) I'm not sure GR really has a great answer.

As a side note, if you're unaware, GR can backdash insanely fast by mashing back + MH or LH. It does something goofy, I think starting and canceling Spire over and over, and is great for putting distance between you and your opponent. If they block your Spire you can cover a good amount of ground before they can even do anything again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Anyone have links to the Dieminion fights? I thought I had the right stream but it was teams with SF4 after.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day
So there's a small invitational tournament going on tonight.

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/srklive

Yipes, RayRay, Noel Brown, NerdJosh, ChrisG, MarlinPie, Masta CJ and Dieminion are playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Seizure Robot posted:

Depending on your team this probably won't help but against Dantes that predictably spam their port in certain situations I've had a lot of luck timing Hidden Missiles assist to counter it. Since he can only pop up right above and behind you a lot of bad Dantes I've faced teleport right into the missiles as they come up handing me a free combo. There's not a whole lot I'm aware he can do to counter it except stop spamming his teleport. If he gets wise to your plan and starts faking a port and then using Million Dollars to try and punish Doom you can just snap him during the hyper's startup flash assuming you're on the ground or hit him out of it with a j.S if you jumped for whatever reason. This strategy is a lot more risky against people like Vergil who can decide to teleport in front of you and get a happy birthday if you're not careful, though.

As you guys mentioned Maelstrom and Spire are both relatively solid options as well, as are some other anti-air assists (Hulk's is great for this, although I haven't been using him with GR myself) and while right now they can throw tech during the port once that gets patched out you can scoop them on reaction and reset things since GRs throws put them at a healthy distance.

I really think teleporters for the most part are some of GRs hardest matchups, though, and as a lot of people (myself included) are seeing him as a very matchup oriented character that's saying a lot. When used properly by a good player (not being predictable and spamming, using them while you're in blockstun from an assist, etc.) I'm not sure GR really has a great answer.

As a side note, if you're unaware, GR can backdash insanely fast by mashing back + MH or LH. It does something goofy, I think starting and canceling Spire over and over, and is great for putting distance between you and your opponent. If they block your Spire you can cover a good amount of ground before they can even do anything again.

This has helped quite a bit, and the post above as well. Thanks.

• Locked thread