Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

ASSTASTIC posted:

Hey guys. I'm having a bitch of a time getting gapps to install on my nook color properly. I keep getting process errors of "android.process.media" has stopped working and also "com.android.vending" when I either browse the market, or even sometimes open it. I'm using the latest installer found here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version#Google_Apps

The CM7 works fine, its just that google apps package where the market is really loving me over. Anyone have ideas on what I should do?

I'm doing the SD card boot for the CM7 on my Nook Color FYI.

Could be a bum zip file. Redownload and try again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Wow, so something got borked and my DROID 3 started bootlooping last night. Had to sbf ut and now its much snappier. I thought I rooted to keep it snappy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I'm guessing you cleared data for stuff without it working (although the thing that's having the issue is the thing that clears data so I'm guessing that won't work).

I'd run a Titanium backup and nandroid just to be sure (don't forget to include the EXT if you're on Amon-Ra) then I'd wipe data/cache/dalvik and reflash CM7/GApps. Then I'd login to Google, download Titanium and S2E and set up S2E. After that's done I'd restore all apps+data. I think that should do it.

If you're really paranoid you could back up your SD card to your PC first but I don't think you'll need to gently caress with the SD card or EXT.

Getting around to trying this out.

How the gently caress do you keep Google from trying to auto-install all your apps after you login?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

Getting around to trying this out.

How the gently caress do you keep Google from trying to auto-install all your apps after you login?

Settings>Privacy>Automatic Restore

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

donglelord posted:

I installed it last night actually (this ROM http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1362961). Work pretty good. Feels snappy and all and hasn't crashed once on me. GPS is broke because lack of driver so if that is important you'll probably have to wait a while.

Haven't used it enough to know about battery life yet but seems pretty standard right now

Update on the battery life, it falls short of lasting a full day. With the CM official release for the Vibrant I got almost 2 days of battery life. Now it will die at night. Going to keep it though because ICS owns.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This is nerdy as hell but I just bought two Bluetooth earpieces (free with rebate on NewEgg) and now that I have them I'm wondering if there's some kind of hack to wear one on each ear to listen to music in stereo. I have earbuds but even when I wear my cord under my shirt at the gym it gets snagged.

Edit: Oh, also, I just made a Nandroid from one SGS2 to another. Absolutely everything copied from what I can see, except for my MP3s, which were either on the SD card or the internal (non-app) storage. Anyone know what might have happened there?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 8, 2011

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

Zero VGS posted:

This is nerdy as hell but I just bought two Bluetooth earpieces (free with rebate on NewEgg) and now that I have them I'm wondering if there's some kind of hack to wear one on each ear to listen to music in stereo. I have earbuds but even when I wear my cord under my shirt at the gym it gets snagged.
I use those mini alligator clips to clip the wire to my collar when I run. You can buy a pack at radio shack, near the soldering stuff.

I haven't been able to use wifi tether on my Evo 4g for a month at least. I haven't found any help via google, so... help! I'm on cm7.1

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 8, 2011

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I'm on CM7.1/Evo 4G and all of a sudden, later in the day, the volume on my notifications, ringtone and music get much, much quieter. I reboot and it turns back to normal. The volume ends up being about 25% the max volume, and it's cranked up all the way.

Is this a bug or something? The only times I mess with the volume is on the pull-down toolbar thing where you can put the phone on silent/vibrate. Anyone have any ideas?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: Oh, also, I just made a Nandroid from one SGS2 to another. Absolutely everything copied from what I can see, except for my MP3s, which were either on the SD card or the internal (non-app) storage. Anyone know what might have happened there?
AFAIK nandroid doesn't copy the SD card.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Isaac Asimov posted:

I haven't been able to use wifi tether on my Evo 4g for a month at least. I haven't found any help via google, so... help! I'm on cm7.1

Are you using the built-in tether or the WiFi Tether app? I use the built in tether at least weekly on my CM7.1 Evo and have never seen a problem. I've never tried the app on CM because I don't see a reason to, though I used to use it on Sense.

ilkhan posted:

AFAIK nandroid doesn't copy the SD card.

Correct. Nandroid won't touch anything on the SD card other than apps (both official and a2sd AFAIK, but official for sure). Music and pictures are your responsibility to move.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Zero VGS posted:

You can't do that with regular bluetooth earpieces, and even if you could, it would sound lovely. You specifically need a pair of a2dp headphones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0TP07J1504

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
OK, am I missing something about Titanium Backup because I was under the impression it was a part of how I saved my contacts when flashing to a new rom? If so/not could this be explained better to me please?

Also, I'm trying to find a Sense based rom that is minimalistic as possible with working 4G. My main reason for root was just so I could make my phone a mobile hotspot, so I'd like to keep my actual features.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 9, 2011

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.

Tommy 2.0 posted:

OK, am I missing something about Titanium Backup because I was under the impression it was a part of how I saved my contacts when flashing to a new rom? If so/not could this be explained better to me please?

Also, I'm trying to find a Sense based rom that is minimalistic as possible with working 4G. My main reason for root was just so I could make my phone a mobile hotspot, so I'd like to keep my actual features.

Your contacts should be saved in the cloud with your google account right? They'll come back once you sign in again.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

woodhead posted:

Your contacts should be saved in the cloud with your google account right? They'll come back once you sign in again.

I'm guessing if I didn't sync them up with my google account I'm screwed?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I'm guessing if I didn't sync them up with my google account I'm screwed?

Yes.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

wolrah posted:

Are you using the built-in tether or the WiFi Tether app? I use the built in tether at least weekly on my CM7.1 Evo and have never seen a problem. I've never tried the app on CM because I don't see a reason to, though I used to use it on Sense.
I have been using different wifi tethers like barnacle for a while and it seems like all of a sudden they stopped working. I get errors asking if my phone is rooted(THE NERVE SCOFF!!!), or it just says it couldn't start. Sucks, because wifi at school drops constantly and its slow anyway because the network is crap.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

ASSTASTIC posted:

Hey guys. I'm having a bitch of a time getting gapps to install on my nook color properly. I keep getting process errors of "android.process.media" has stopped working and also "com.android.vending" when I either browse the market, or even sometimes open it. I'm using the latest installer found here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version#Google_Apps

The CM7 works fine, its just that google apps package where the market is really loving me over. Anyone have ideas on what I should do?

I'm doing the SD card boot for the CM7 on my Nook Color FYI.

I always had trouble getting anything to work with my NC unless I installed via CMW. I have CM7.1 permanently installed too, why don't you?

Google around xda and make sure you download the right gapps.

e: for what its worth, it is a bitch to get stuff to work on the NC, but once you've got it you'll forget the pain. I have spent a lot of time reading through xda threads because of that thing.

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 9, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes.

Unless you did a nandroid of the old ROM before flashing the new one, in which case you could restore to that, back up your contacts (why would you ever NOT sync them to Google??), re-flash the new ROM, and restore them.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
The nook colors booting from sd seem to be real picky about brand/class of sd card used. When I set ours up I had some bad problems running some sd-capable froyo rom I can't remember the name of on a kingston classless card.

Did some reading and found that the consensus was "use sandisk". They say the sandisk brand always performs better than its class rating. I got a class 4, put cm7-sd on it and it works fine.

We're running from sd cause the woman doesn't want to give up some certain features of the nook that aren't there in the nook android app. (don't remember what) And now my mom is saying she wants hers setup the same way.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I've got an Xperia X8 (money is tight) and I'm interested in changing to a custom kernal to add iptables/netfilter to my phone along with a few performance tweaks. The only problem is all the instructions I've found have clearly been written by someone for whom english is not their native language.

Does anyone here know where I can find some good instructions? I know I need to unlock the bootloader but I don't know if I need to remove the sim lock before I do so.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I'm having trouble with syncing my contacts. I'm on OG Droid and on both CM7.1 and project elite 6v5 my facebook and twitter accounts keep being forgotten. I'll create a new account in the contacts menu and add them and sync and after awhile I'll either go into facebook and it will ask me to sign back in or notice that all of my contact pictures are gone. When I check the accounts again all that's logged in is my google accounts.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I really want to find the jackass on XDA that originally started misspelling kernel.

I want to find them and I want to watch their eyes go glassy and unfocused, their life slipping away as I strangle them.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Entire Universe posted:

I really want to find the jackass on XDA that originally started misspelling kernel.

You can go back in time to 1980 and beat up Robert Russell then for misspelling it.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Does anyone know how to take a screenshot on EVO running Fresh?

I somehow managed to take one as I tried turning off an errant weekend alarm, but have no clue what I hit to make it happen and can't recreate it.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Hold power button + home button

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

blargle posted:

Hold power button + home button

Thank you very much.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
My Triumph's overclock doesn't stay after I reboot, even when setting "set on boot" in both the CM7 settings menu and in setcpu. Setcpu's max slider stays on the setting but the actual overclock doesn't and i have to re-enable the OC every time my phone reboots (by tapping on the OC slider and not changing it at all)

It is a kernel problem or is it something on my end?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Hi, I have a Nexus S with kernel version 2.6.35.13-netarchy-nexus-1.3.0.12-cfs-2.3.4+natas@64bit-evil #9

and build number GRJ22. Android version 2.3.4

I'm just wondering how I revert back to stock. I asked my friend to root my phone for me, but I haven't done any cool stuff outlined in the OP and I don't plan to. Now I keep getting this annoying update notification and I can't update because of an error (not a bricking error, but the update won't happen).

I use the Awful app, gmail, gchat, browser, twitter, sometimes watch TV episodes with DICE player, flashlight app, calculate, calendar, tether with my laptop, and that's pretty much it. I don't need any power user features.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dudebro posted:

Hi, I have a Nexus S with kernel version 2.6.35.13-netarchy-nexus-1.3.0.12-cfs-2.3.4+natas@64bit-evil #9

and build number GRJ22. Android version 2.3.4

I'm just wondering how I revert back to stock. I asked my friend to root my phone for me, but I haven't done any cool stuff outlined in the OP and I don't plan to. Now I keep getting this annoying update notification and I can't update because of an error (not a bricking error, but the update won't happen).

I use the Awful app, gmail, gchat, browser, twitter, sometimes watch TV episodes with DICE player, flashlight app, calculate, calendar, tether with my laptop, and that's pretty much it. I don't need any power user features.

Go to xda, the Nexus S general section, the stock ROM thread, and get your phone's latest. Boot to recovery, flash it. Reboot. Power off and boot to fastboot (up + power). Connect to a PC with ADB, open a terminal and type "fastboot oem lock" then "fastboot reboot".

Now it's stock.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

Go to xda, the Nexus S general section, the stock ROM thread, and get your phone's latest. Boot to recovery, flash it. Reboot. Power off and boot to fastboot (up + power). Connect to a PC with ADB, open a terminal and type "fastboot oem lock" then "fastboot reboot".

Now it's stock.

This will wipe your apps, by the way. (There's not really a way around that)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nimper posted:

This will wipe your apps, by the way. (There's not really a way around that)
Assuming he has Titanium he could reinstall Titanium after putting on the stock ROM but before unrooting.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

LastInLine posted:

Now it's stock.

Okay. Maybe I should ask how to update my phone because that sounds simpler. I don't mind having it rooted, just as long as I can easily update it.

Your steps aren't too complicated (although I'd have to ask for details with some of them), but just updating it seems less messy. I think I gave the wrong impression that I don't want it rooted just because. It's just the update process.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dudebro posted:

Okay. Maybe I should ask how to update my phone because that sounds simpler. I don't mind having it rooted, just as long as I can easily update it.

Your steps aren't too complicated (although I'd have to ask for details with some of them), but just updating it seems less messy. I think I gave the wrong impression that I don't want it rooted just because. It's just the update process.

You can't update with a custom kernel and I don't think you can flash the stock kernel. If you want the notification to go away I have a post in this thread somewhere detailing how to do it. I'm on my phone or I'd find it.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Can anyone recommend some decent miui themes that are in English and dont have animie or some way over the top tech machine look to them? Something nice and plain basically/

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Solly posted:

Can anyone recommend some decent miui themes that are in English and dont have animie or some way over the top tech machine look to them? Something nice and plain basically/

I used "dark mix" for a while, but now I'm using "Black Ice 2.2" and that's pretty good so far.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
How far along is cyanogenmod on the hp touchpad? pretty good now?

Saw this on front page of xda, maybe another hp firesale of touchpads starting today. If it's $100 like last time, I'm not going to miss out again.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/hp-touchpad-firesale-part-deux/

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wagonburner posted:

Saw this on front page of xda, maybe another hp firesale of touchpads starting today. If it's $100 like last time, I'm not going to miss out again.

The last few pages of the non-iPad tablet thread discussed this. The short answer is it is far enough along for some people and not for others. A couple posts have details about what works and what is still a little buggy, but in general most things work.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Solly posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of this one: http://justreveal.blogspot.com/2011/10/illest-theme-for-miui-v2.html

It costs a buck, though. And there are a few elements I don't use (namely the status bar).

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Ciabatta posted:

The last few pages of the non-iPad tablet thread discussed this. The short answer is it is far enough along for some people and not for others. A couple posts have details about what works and what is still a little buggy, but in general most things work.

Thanks, I'm reading in there now. Sounding good enough for me now and a promising future. (I need to look at threads outside of my usercp more often.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Wagonburner posted:

I've been using CM7 on the TouchPad since the first alpha was released and haven't used webOS since. Alpha 3 is plenty stable in my opinion. WiFi is a bit wonky and battery life is less than great, but other than that it's no worse than any other Gingerbread tablet.