Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Oneiros posted:

Your MBP will only do 1066MHz. That RAM should be able to operate at the lower clock speed, but you could probably save a few bucks and just get a slower set.

Really? It says under "About this Mac" that it supports 1333 MHz DDR3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Our graphics designer is a tool. Anyway, they're going to order 3 more 27" iMacs because they're using the 21.5" C2D's (which we'll pass on to the new developers).

He put in a quote, $2500 (how, I'm not sure because they're $1999 + $200 for the i7 upgrade) or whatver for the iMacs and then "$370 for third-party memory upgrade"

Another developer just got a 27" iMac and we bought 16GB (4x4GB) from NewEgg for $80, I wonder where the hell they are ordering RAM from.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's close to the current price of 2x8GB. :v:

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Bob Morales posted:

Our graphics designer is a tool. Anyway, they're going to order 3 more 27" iMacs because they're using the 21.5" C2D's (which we'll pass on to the new developers).

He put in a quote, $2500 (how, I'm not sure because they're $1999 + $200 for the i7 upgrade) or whatver for the iMacs and then "$370 for third-party memory upgrade"

Another developer just got a 27" iMac and we bought 16GB (4x4GB) from NewEgg for $80, I wonder where the hell they are ordering RAM from.

Maybe it's $1999 + $500 for the SSD

or $1999 + $100 for i7 + $200 for GPU + $200 for AppleCare

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Last week I asked some questions before buying a refurbished 11-inch MacBook Air, and now that I've had it for a few days I'm really impressed. It does everything I want without any noticeable load times or slowdowns.

When I had a 13-inch MacBook I kept it on my desk and only moved it when I was sure I was going to use it elsewhere. The difference in weight and size isn't vast, but the MBA is so small that I set it down next to my bed or the couch for easy access without thinking.

There is an adjustment period since everything looks a bit tinier. Going back and forth between this and my gaming HTPC is absolutely weird, but I'm getting used to it and haven't had any headaches or anything.

Really happy with this purchase. Thanks again for the last-minute help.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I'm trying to find an answer for my sister regarding whether her MacPro 3,1 from 2007 w/ an NVidia 8800GT can run DaVinci's Resolve. I have no idea if her MacPro will face any problems running this program. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with Resolve and whether or not she can use the 8800GT to handle the GUI. Any help would be great.

Also here is their suggested setups. http://blackmagic-design.com/media/2384470/DaVinci_Resolve_Mac_Config_Guide.pdf

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 9, 2011

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Strong Sauce posted:

I'm trying to find an answer for my sister regarding whether her MacPro 3,1 from 2007 w/ an NVidia 8800GT can run DaVinci's Resolve. I have no idea if her MacPro will face any problems running this program. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with Resolve and whether or not she can use the 8800GT to handle the GUI. Any help would be great.

Also here is their suggested setups. http://blackmagic-design.com/media/2384470/DaVinci_Resolve_Mac_Config_Guide.pdf

The 8800 supports CUDA so it LOOKS like it'll be ok.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Are there any long-term issues when using a MBP with its lid closed? I'd like to get a bigger display for my desk at home and would prefer to close my MBP and put it aside, like a desktop computer. The MBP is running most of the day though and has to do regular video encoding, so it does get hot quite often. Is there a chance that the heat wil damage its display, when it's closed?

Also, are there no 24" Cinema Displays anymore?!

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

FLX posted:

Are there any long-term issues when using a MBP with its lid closed? I'd like to get a bigger display for my desk at home and would prefer to close my MBP and put it aside, like a desktop computer. The MBP is running most of the day though and has to do regular video encoding, so it does get hot quite often. Is there a chance that the heat wil damage its display, when it's closed?

Also, are there no 24" Cinema Displays anymore?!

As far as using the MBP with the lid closed there isn't anything to worry about. Just make sure that wherever you put the machine the back of it can freely vent out and you shouldn't have any problems.

Apple discontinued both the 20.1" and 24" Cinema Displays and replaced them with the 27". Every once in a while the 24" shows up in the refurb store, so if for some reason you are stuck on that size you can keep an eye out.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Strong Sauce posted:

I tested this almost exact setup this summer. The key points to this kind of setup is that you need a second gpu if you want to use the 8800GT for compute, which that guide goes into in the build section for the Mac Pro. Also the key point of Resolve is color grading, so a color accurate monitor and a Black-Magic card to drive it are essential for doing any kind of professional grading. You may also run into data transfer speed issues if you are using higher bit rate HD footage and you don't have have some sort of fast storage available.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

mayodreams posted:

I tested this almost exact setup this summer. The key points to this kind of setup is that you need a second gpu if you want to use the 8800GT for compute, which that guide goes into in the build section for the Mac Pro. Also the key point of Resolve is color grading, so a color accurate monitor and a Black-Magic card to drive it are essential for doing any kind of professional grading. You may also run into data transfer speed issues if you are using higher bit rate HD footage and you don't have have some sort of fast storage available.

I don't see why you need a special video card for color management. I've been to plenty of studios using off the shelf consumer cards. Its the display that matters and the know-how in making it all work. Unless you're talking about displays that don't take DVI, HDMI or DP. In which case you could probably afford something better than a MP3.1 not that it would get you that much more color accuracy than a high end prosumer display that can take those inputs.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 9, 2011

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

mayodreams posted:

My sister is getting this mainly so she can work with Resolve, she won't be doing any actual "professional" work in this setup. So all she really needs is to have the setup that is workable on her Mac Pro. She just wants to make sure she doesn't need one of those $1000+ cards to run and that her 8800GT can be either used as the GUI or as the GPU card.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Im having trouble getting my Mac pro 1,1 to start without the fans blasting all the time.

I just got my RMA ram from owc, I put it and the second memory riser back in, and now it starts up with fans at max every time I restart.

EDIT: I took out the new RAM, and it's running quiet again. Something must have been wrong with it, but I can't figure out what.

On the plus side, for anyone who remembers my earlier RAM problems, I've swapped all kinds of configurations to see if it was a bad board or a bad slot on the motherboard, and I'm currently running the 6GB that works on the "bad" board on the "bad" slot, so far everything fine. If I don't see any errors when I use After Effects and load up all the RAM, then I'll know it's just bad RAM.

Still don't know why that kept causing my fans to go to full.

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 10, 2011

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
If anyone has been looking for a Mac specific keyboard, I've posted my Logitech diNovo Edge over in SAmart at a considerable discount.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Strong Sauce posted:

My sister is getting this mainly so she can work with Resolve, she won't be doing any actual "professional" work in this setup. So all she really needs is to have the setup that is workable on her Mac Pro. She just wants to make sure she doesn't need one of those $1000+ cards to run and that her 8800GT can be either used as the GUI or as the GPU card.

If she just wants to learn the interface, then she does not need a more complicated setup than a typical Mac Pro. I would recommend putting the media on another 7200RPM drive in the Mac Pro, and making sure she has at least 4GB of RAM though.

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't see why you need a special video card for color management. I've been to plenty of studios using off the shelf consumer cards. Its the display that matters and the know-how in making it all work. Unless you're talking about displays that don't take DVI, HDMI or DP. In which case you could probably afford something better than a MP3.1 not that it would get you that much more color accuracy than a high end prosumer display that can take those inputs.

You need a special video card in order to output high bit rate 10 or 12 bit color to a professional color accurate check monitor, that is is most likely going to use HD-SDI 3G inputs rather than just DVI or HDMI. The closest 'prosumer' monitor the can do this is the excellent HP DreamColor series that you would most likely use for the primary computer display rather than as a check monitor though. We use TVLogic for our check monitors because they are fantastic and have selectable 2k as well. That monitor is around $10k though.

A professional (not the lite version like Strong Sauce is talking about) DaVinci Resolve suite is probably anywhere from $40-60k by the time you get the Resolve console, software, NAS/Attached RAID storage, BlackMagic video card, 2nd and probably 3rd Nvidia card for compute, decked out Mac Pro, dual monitors the Mac, and a color accurate check monitor.

Edit: Fixed the quotes.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 11, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well my point is that you get very little when going from 8 to 10/12 bit with today's software and delivery specs. I'm all for its development and adoption but its really not necessary unless you can afford it a few times over. It would not be the first items a small studio should get if on a budget even if working on feature films and this is true in practice.

I think you should know how to work with it if you're going into that industry but I would never buy it for personal use/learning.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
While I agree that with you that it depends on the delivery specs and the look that the director wants, I'll disagree that it would not be a priority on a production with any kind of budget, let alone a feature.

Most flims that our students and faculty (which includes one that screened at Cannes this year) finish is either being color graded in our facilities, or by a post house in downtown Chicago. If you are using professional cameras with real color spaces (Varicam, RED, CineAlta, Alexa), then 10 and 12 bit color space is absolutely necessary.

While tools like Resolve Lite open up the software to lower tiers of users and budgets, at it's core, it is still a professional product that needs a lot of expensive hardware to fully exploit it's power.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/12/07/ivy-bridge-mobile-cpus-supposedly-ready-for-macbook-pro-air/

Are the updates for the Air really not due until May? I thought I saw Q1 mentioned elsewhere. I might need a laptop for school, but I feel as if I'd be better off just waiting. My plan is to see if I can get by without one, any way.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mayodreams posted:

You need a special video card in order to output high bit rate 10 or 12 bit color to a professional color accurate check monitor, that is is most likely going to use HD-SDI 3G inputs rather than just DVI or HDMI.
Have any of the Thunderbolt boxes for that come out yet? (not to say that they're cheap or anything, and won't work on a Mac Pro right now of course, I just vaguely remember some TB boxes being announced that have that stuff)

Sulk posted:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/12/07/ivy-bridge-mobile-cpus-supposedly-ready-for-macbook-pro-air/

Are the updates for the Air really not due until May? I thought I saw Q1 mentioned elsewhere. I might need a laptop for school, but I feel as if I'd be better off just waiting. My plan is to see if I can get by without one, any way.
No one knows when Apple will update stuff, the best we can do is do what they did and just speculate based on Intel's roadmaps...which yes, is May for mobile Ivy Bridge it appears. They could do a small Sandy Bridge spec bump (if other chips are available) like they did with the MBPs recently before going Ivy Bridge, or they could just wait it out until May or whenever the appropriate parts are out.

If you don't need it, go ahead and wait. If you end up needing it, just buy it. If you buy it and end up wanting the newer faster one when that comes out, sell yours and buy the new one.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I know that there's no real timeline, but that it would probably be based on those roadmaps. I'll probably just wait and see if I really need one and go from there.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

mayodreams posted:

While I agree that with you that it depends on the delivery specs and the look that the director wants, I'll disagree that it would not be a priority on a production with any kind of budget, let alone a feature.

Most flims that our students and faculty (which includes one that screened at Cannes this year) finish is either being color graded in our facilities, or by a post house in downtown Chicago. If you are using professional cameras with real color spaces (Varicam, RED, CineAlta, Alexa), then 10 and 12 bit color space is absolutely necessary.

While tools like Resolve Lite open up the software to lower tiers of users and budgets, at it's core, it is still a professional product that needs a lot of expensive hardware to fully exploit it's power.
Dollars to donuts 90% of directors don't know and can't tell the difference. Unless you can afford it many times over, blowing a huge chunk of your budget on it is nothing more than cine-peen bragging. I would rather have a competent IT dept, studio workflow and well paid artists before going 10/12 bit in production. Files on disk should be 32bit floating point but displays need not be more than 8-bit on properly color managed consumer hardware unless you're dealing with buku bucks and can afford it without sacrificing anything else.

I've worked with(not for) a few rag tag post houses in LA working on pretty big features and they all have lovely IT, lovely workflows and the last thing they are worried about is finaling in >8bit color.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sulk posted:

I know that there's no real timeline, but that it would probably be based on those roadmaps. I'll probably just wait and see if I really need one and go from there.
If you think you have it bad, I'm on a 4 year old Dell Latitude that can barely play Starcraft 2 at 1280x720 on lowest settings. Hell, I can barely play Dungeon Defenders at 640x480 with everything off. The motherboard won't support more than 4GB.

At least I have a 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo. :unsmith:

So yeah, I'm VERY eagerly awaiting Ivy Bridge. Intel HD 4000, custom TDP, and integrated USB 3.0 here I come!

Tang_12
Sep 24, 2004

things that make you go hmm?
To hell with my Asus eepc, I say! I have a chance to pick up a mba 13 inch for $550 and want to know if this is a good deal. There are no cosmetic damages.

Specs
1.6 c2d
2 gb ram
120 gb gd

It would be my main cpu (web, writing, music) and would like to do some minor video editing eventually but may just get a mac mini down the road for that.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

mayodreams posted:

If she just wants to learn the interface, then she does not need a more complicated setup than a typical Mac Pro. I would recommend putting the media on another 7200RPM drive in the Mac Pro, and making sure she has at least 4GB of RAM though.

I'll let her know, thanks. Does the software still require 2 video cards to run or can she run it off just the 8800GT?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Not sure if this counts as hardware or software, but I'm amazed at this: when did my mid-2010 27" iMac get the option of turning off the display with Control-Shift-Eject? I swear to god only my MacBooks could do it in the past and it was a huge gripe for me with my iMac. Am I going crazy and it could do it all along or was it added in with Lion or something?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've done it since Snow Leopard on my iMac. It probably existed before that.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Tang_12 posted:

To hell with my Asus eepc, I say! I have a chance to pick up a mba 13 inch for $550 and want to know if this is a good deal. There are no cosmetic damages.

Specs
1.6 c2d
2 gb ram
120 gb gd

It would be my main cpu (web, writing, music) and would like to do some minor video editing eventually but may just get a mac mini down the road for that.

No. That's before the October 2010 revision. Model has no SSD, lower screen res than 2010 and beyond models, and had a few QA problems through its life. The price isn't even that great, you can probably get a 2010 for around $700-800 and it'd be a vast improvement.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tang_12 posted:

Specs
1.6 c2d
2 gb ram
120 gb gd

If it's the original model with the slow HD and the button on the trackpad, I'd probably spend an extra $50 on a used 11" C2D.

edit: Buy it and sell it on SA-Mart, some sucker bought one for like $900 not too long ago.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Strong Sauce posted:

I'll let her know, thanks. Does the software still require 2 video cards to run or can she run it off just the 8800GT?

No, you can still run it on one GPU. We also tested it on our Mid 2010 27" iMacs without an issue. It just wont be as fast with rendering.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How has the hard drive shortage affected Apple? Are they delaying shipments? Raising prices?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not sure if this counts as hardware or software, but I'm amazed at this: when did my mid-2010 27" iMac get the option of turning off the display with Control-Shift-Eject? I swear to god only my MacBooks could do it in the past and it was a huge gripe for me with my iMac. Am I going crazy and it could do it all along or was it added in with Lion or something?

I've been doing this for years with my cinema display.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

How has the hard drive shortage affected Apple? Are they delaying shipments? Raising prices?

It only affects BTO iMacs that have the 2TB upgrade, not Mac Pros

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/12/02/2tb_hard_drive_shortage_hits_apples_bto_imacs_with_5_7_week_wait.html

That information may have changed by now, that's from last month.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

japtor posted:

Have any of the Thunderbolt boxes for that come out yet? (not to say that they're cheap or anything, and won't work on a Mac Pro right now of course, I just vaguely remember some TB boxes being announced that have that stuff)

Rumor has it that Black Magic is shipping their Thunderbolt device, but no one I've talked to has seen it. AJA is not shipping the IO XT yet.

I am really upset at the lack fo TB devices at this point. I am DYING for a TB gigabit adapter for my MBA, let alone the badass dock that Belkin showed off this fall with gigabit, firewire, and more usb ports. :argh:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

It only affects BTO iMacs that have the 2TB upgrade, not Mac Pros

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/12/02/2tb_hard_drive_shortage_hits_apples_bto_imacs_with_5_7_week_wait.html

That information may have changed by now, that's from last month.

Isn't there also a shortage of laptop drives as well? Aren't the MBs Apple's most popular 'mac' seller?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
A Thunderbolt->FireWire adapter is all I'd need to be able to have an MBA as my main machine.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

A Thunderbolt->FireWire adapter is all I'd need to be able to have an MBA as my main machine.

What do you need FW for?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

What do you need FW for?

Any number of pro audio or video applications and for the majority of high-performance external storage available on the market or people already own.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
Is there a way to disable the power-off button on the MBA? I hit it by accident sometimes... I had an older MBP at one point and IIRC its shutdown button was near the speaker area, not a regular key built into the keyboard.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

fleshweasel posted:

Any number of pro audio or video applications and for the majority of high-performance external storage available on the market or people already own.

I can't think of any current gen video that is limited to FW. I always thought pro audio was mostly on USB? Why not actually ask the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you buy the AppleCare that applies to the 13" MBP as well as all MBA models and the MacBook, can it be transferred from a 13" MBP to a MBA if I decide to flip & buy?