Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

"Growing Panes Await" :lol:

Hussie never disappoints with his word choice and puns, holy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The book version of these pages needs to involve holofoil.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Well, I guess that answers the question of multiple God Tiers.

Also I like seeing Dog-Tier Jade rendered in a more symbolic manner.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Waffnuffly posted:

"Growing Panes Await" :lol:

Hussie never disappoints with his word choice and puns, holy crap.

I didn't get this one. :saddowns:

There was a question of whether there was multiple God Tiers? The way Vriska talked about it when they were first brought up, I thought it was obvious that it was another set of "rungs" on the echeladder, so to speak.

EDIT: Oh jesus, it's 'cause she made the 4th wall get bigger. :lol:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 10, 2011

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

VJeff posted:

There was a question of whether there was multiple God Tiers?

Yeah, starting here.

Pretend I didn't start out the debate by claiming the exact opposite of what we know now to be true.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

andrew Hussie posted:

Nobody should ever mess with you.

Not even me.
Considering Jade now has first-guardian-narrator powers, I would think so.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh wow, I really like Jade's sprite representation. I wasn't sure how well her look would translate, but it works.

Are Rose and Dave going to get similar level-up scenes? Will they just be implied to have happened off-screen? Or will Dave once again drag behind John in power and quietly grumble about it in his own way?

Having God-Tier levels right now is a pretty good idea, gives the narrative a little more head-room. The players can still get stronger, they're not quite yet at the peak with nothing to do but waiting for their final battle.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dolash posted:

Oh wow, I really like Jade's sprite representation. I wasn't sure how well her look would translate, but it works.

Are Rose and Dave going to get similar level-up scenes? Will they just be implied to have happened off-screen? Or will Dave once again drag behind John in power and quietly grumble about it in his own way?

Having God-Tier levels right now is a pretty good idea, gives the narrative a little more head-room. The players can still get stronger, they're not quite yet at the peak with nothing to do but waiting for their final battle.

What happens at the top of the god tiers?

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

pandaK posted:

What happens at the top of the god tiers?

We don't know. The highest level god tier (Vriska) never actually made it to the top level.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Plom Bar posted:

You know what I'm looking forward to? Seeing the rest of the god tier B1 kids rendered in a more symbolic fashion. That may contain potentially lethal quantities of Adorable.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 26, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dolash posted:

It could be that but I'm more of the theory that you don't need to level up Time and Light to stand up to Breath - you just need to be more imaginative.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Those are some fancy-rear end level-ups. Chrome could barely handle displaying them.

Jade's symbolic representation sure is busy nowadays. John looks pretty quaint by comparison.

edit: Dave and Rose won't be getting level-ups (yet, anyway) because they aren't on the battleship!

KoB
May 1, 2009
John has been God-Tier much longer and Jade is Dog-Tier, they kinda should be higher levels than Dave and Rose.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Oh so the ears aren't part of the hood. OK then.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Well Manicured Man posted:

Update. Whoa, those are some fancy new god tiers.

Edit: also I think one of my favorite parts of Jade's god tier costume design are the ruby slippers. I didn't really notice the connection at first :downs:

Okay, I've never understood this whole ruby slippers business, and people have been pointing it out since Cascade. What am I missing here.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Wrist Watch posted:

Okay, I've never understood this whole ruby slippers business, and people have been pointing it out since Cascade. What am I missing here.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Yeah, starting here.

Pretend I didn't start out the debate by claiming the exact opposite of what we know now to be true.

You can help me eat half of this delicious hat sandwich.

What I said is still basically true though. These fancy extra god tier levels are still just jokes. Good, funny jokes. There's no way the extra mangrit and youngster gumption will actually help the kids win any upcoming battles, or be relevant in any unique way to the plot. Simply because that would be silly and boring in a terrible dragonball z kind of way.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Scratch was originally conceived as a method to have more ideal starting conditions for Sburb, right? I can't help but marvel at how the Kids managed to escape to the only other session that's probably more cocked-up than the one they just left.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Fagtastic posted:

You can help me eat half of this delicious hat sandwich.

What I said is still basically true though. These fancy extra god tier levels are still just jokes. Good, funny jokes. There's no way the extra mangrit and youngster gumption will actually help the kids win any upcoming battles, or be relevant in any unique way to the plot. Simply because that would be silly and boring in a terrible dragonball z kind of way.

It's the fact that I 100% agree with your line of thought that gives me this feeling, in the back of my mind, that Hussie is going to make them super important in the future for one reason or another. Goddamn throwaway gags.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

YggiDee posted:

The Scratch was originally conceived as a method to have more ideal starting conditions for Sburb, right? I can't help but marvel at how the Kids managed to escape to the only other session that's probably more cocked-up than the one they just left.

I don't know, this universe has some... complications so far, but it's not like it has cancer.

Right? Or does this universe have a genetic predilection for galactic frog cancer? :ohdear:

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

The Fucky posted:

It's the fact that I 100% agree with your line of thought that gives me this feeling, in the back of my mind, that Hussie is going to make them super important in the future for one reason or another. Goddamn throwaway gags.

He did it with Problem Sleuth- Pulchritude -> Sepulchritude. This really doesn't mean he will or will not with Homestuck though, or even really suggest it as anything than a definite possibility.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Jade is the Witch of Space, and, as we've seen, she has among her powers teleportation. (She teleports a battleship to each of the planets in turn during Cascade so that she can shrink the planets. She also teleports John up from the surface of LoHaC.)

The Ruby Slippers, from the Wizard of Oz movie, let Dorthy teleport from Oz to Kansas when she clicks her heels together.

(They're based on the book version's Silver Shoes, which can teleport the user anywhere they wish)

In short:

King of Solomon posted:

\/ The Universe Frog might have a genetic predisposition for cancer, but since everything got shuffled, perhaps it will stay benign? Who knows. (Hussie)

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 10, 2011

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Well Manicured Man posted:

I don't know, this universe has some... complications so far, but it's not like it has cancer.

Right? Or does this universe have a genetic predilection for galactic frog cancer? :ohdear:

Well, it's made from the same frog, isn't it? Like, I don't think the Scratch re-bred Bilious Slick, but who knows. Homestuck cosmology is hosed up. Honestly I assumed that the universe still has frog-cancer, but frankly I don't know what the gently caress.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I really don't get what happened to billious slick during the scratch at all. He's marked as dead on Hussie's character RIP screen for what its worth.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

They probably won't, but I want to see Dave and Rose level up their god tiers for no other reason then to see four more puns.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fagtastic posted:

When have numbers ever really mattered in Homestuck though, other than as a vague reassurance that a given character was or was not capable of some vaguely defined feat, such as lifting a safe? So yeah it would be kind of poo poo if it started doing that now.

Talorat posted:

I really don't get what happened to billious slick during the scratch at all. He's marked as dead on Hussie's character RIP screen for what its worth.

For what it's worth, the assumption I've been working on is that B2 is an entirely separate universe essentially created by B1 that has no connection to the troll session. It's modelled on B1 and shares its heroes/guardians, but is otherwise essentially original and the term reset is a misnomer. (i.e. BS is DEAD from SS's red miles, the new universe is off in some isolated pocket of paradox space and is as yet relatively safe. It's possible it still has cancer, but that will mean a new rogue SS will be trouble, not the old one)

There's not much to back it up at this point though, and Andrew always has the final say on matters of fictional chronology and cosmology, so :v:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 10, 2011

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
My understanding is that it's the same frog and he will eventually/has already been killed by red miles. However, from the new kids' current perspectives, this isn't going to take effect for another 411 years. We're just seeing what's happening inside before his death, just like the original kids.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Err, this is what I got from it: During every session of Sburb a frog is made by the players, containing the universe that they eventually enter at the end of the game. Karkat makes the troll session's universe frog (Bilious Slick). As the trolls never considered a reset, that universe lived on to become host to the kids' session - they were just barred from entering and whatnot. Fast forward however many years, Bec Noir poisons their universe/frog with red miles. John and co. escape the poisoned universe via the fourth wall with their Sburb lands and their battlefield but nothing else. The scratch technically takes their universe (or what's left of it anyway) out, hence the frog containing it (Bilious Slick) dies. The post-scratch universe, meanwhile, is taking place in an entirely different frog. I think. Rather, if it's still called Bilious Slick then this would be a new incarnation unaffected by red miles, in the same vein that pre-scratch Mom is not post-scratch Mom and etc etc.

Short version: Frog = Universe, Bilious Slick = Kid's universe (which has just been scratched), Post-scratch universe =/= Bilious Slick.

Now, whether or not the post-scratch universe is the same one the kids would have made normally or if it's just a completely seperate entity, I'm not sure. I'm banking on the latter though, since CD's barbasol bomb knocked Jade's frog straight into the forge.

... drat, this comic is complicated.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I'm thinking that it's the same Bilious Slick. It's just that the Scratch has shifted around his components and the narrative has returned to an earlier point. The universe will still die from Red Miles, just centuries in the future. If the post-scratch kids are lucky they'll make a new universe and be able to escape there.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

I'm thinking that it's the same Bilious Slick. It's just that the Scratch has shifted around his components and the narrative has returned to an earlier point. The universe will still die from Red Miles, just centuries in the future. If the post-scratch kids are lucky they'll make a new universe and be able to escape there.

If this is the case, why isn't Bilious Slick's red X crossed out with green stuff like Dad's is? Shouldn't Bilious Slick have been essentially revived by the Scratch in the same way Dad has been if your theory is correct?

I honestly don't know what I believe. The whole it's-the-same-frog/it's-not-the-same-frog/it-has-cancer/it-doesn't-have-cancer thing is freaking mind boggling.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I'm still pretty confused with how the scratch has affected Bilious Slick, but for now I think I'm going to go with "Bilious Slick was reset, but he still dies at the same point of time from Jack Noir's Red Miles." Until we are shown otherwise at least. Same frog, same fate.

Also John and Jade could probably not care less about "escaping" from Noir's Red Miles. A Sburb session is completely outside its parent universe's timeline. They had to escape the scratch, not the death of the universe.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

haruspex posted:

If this is the case, why isn't Bilious Slick's red X crossed out with green stuff like Dad's is? Shouldn't Bilious Slick have been essentially revived by the Scratch in the same way Dad has been if your theory is correct?

I honestly don't know what I believe. The whole it's-the-same-frog/it's-not-the-same-frog/it-has-cancer/it-doesn't-have-cancer thing is freaking mind boggling.

Because he IS dead. We're just now in an earlier point along the narrative in another version of that same universe's content.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Killing the Universe doesnt destroy it at all points in time, BSlick wont die until years in the future (but not many). So we know it will die, but thats not until long after the kids have entered the medium.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
But if it is the same universe frog, and Bilious Slick is thus still cancerous, one would then theorize that any new session resulting from it would still be doomed to fail due to that same cancer poisoning the session, wouldn't it? How can that be the case if the whole point of this B2 universe is to finally be the successful session?

(Don't get me wrong I do agree that it's the same universe frog post-scratch and is still doomed to destruction by red miles, I would just like to know the how and why of the scenario that the old session was infected and doomed while supposedly this session in the same cancerous universe is meant to be successful. What makes this session different?)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CidGregor posted:

But if it is the same universe frog, and Bilious Slick is thus still cancerous, one would then theorize that any new session resulting from it would still be doomed to fail due to that same cancer poisoning the session, wouldn't it? How can that be the case if the whole point of this B2 universe is to finally be the successful session?

(Don't get me wrong I do agree that it's the same universe frog post-scratch and is still doomed to destruction by red miles, I would just like to know the how and why of the scenario that the old session was infected and doomed while supposedly this session in the same cancerous universe is meant to be successful. What makes this session different?)
Well, more than anything else the team just needed a place to escape to that didn't contain Bec Noir. That took precedence over whether it was still cancerous (which is a term that Karkat invented himself and was never really a "thing" that the group discussed internally, at least not that we know about) or not. I also assume that the reason they wanted to breed a genesis frog before escaping was so that they could quickly win the new Sburb session and escape into that new universe.

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009
Now that I'm seeing it again, that slab dream-Jake is lying on does look like it could be a crypt Quest Bed. Maybe the reason I never noticed before is because I had such a strong headcannon of the Hope symbol as being purple on a white background. Which i guess is just because of Eridan's sign/blood color + wwhite science motif and therefore not necessarily relevant to Hope players in general at all.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CidGregor posted:

I think the idea is that the Scratch fixes the problems inherent to the session (thereby making it winnable), but adds its own set of probably worse problems (The universe is now seeded for Lord English's entry.)

Since it's a reset, though, it'll still be killed by Noir's Red Miles.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Theyve never once said that the Scratch creates a new universe, so I dont know why anyone would think that.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

King of Solomon posted:

Sayonara Kansas. :allears:

Now somebody explain to me who the hell "Doctor Ragnarok" is... oh... oh, okay, I get it, nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Sayonara Kansas. :allears:

Now somebody explain to me who the hell "Doctor Ragnarok" is... oh... oh, okay, I get it, nevermind.

I still don't. Explain?