Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
The next one you should buy is "Fanny & Alexander." Buy it today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cacator posted:

You have no idea. I'm up to 55.

96 and 5 Eclipse sets

That's more than I thought I had.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

kaujot posted:

Speaking of which, the TV version...what awesome channel did THAT get shown on? Does Sweden just have better TV than we do?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

kaujot posted:

Would you recommend that for someone who hasn't seen much Bergman? I've only seen The Seventh Seal (which I liked), but I'm unsure about dropping money on a five-DVD set on someone I'm not that familiar with.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

barkingclam posted:

Would you recommend that for someone who hasn't seen much Bergman? I've only seen The Seventh Seal (which I liked), but I'm unsure about dropping money on a five-DVD set on someone I'm not that familiar with.

It was my first Bergman, and it's my favorite film. Absolutely the most accessible of his work.

Garyos
Mar 2, 2005
Lurker

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Speaking of which, the TV version...what awesome channel did THAT get shown on? Does Sweden just have better TV than we do?

They screen it every Christmas in Norway :3:

Short answer: Well-funded public television channels.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

barkingclam posted:

I had only seen The Seventh Seal, and I had merely liked it, and then I watched Fanny & Alexander and fell in love with everything I've seen from Bergman thereafter (and F&A is my favorite).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

kaujot posted:

It was my first Bergman, and it's my favorite film. Absolutely the most accessible of his work.
Not that it isn't an accessible film, most of his films are, but certainly Smiles of a Summer Night, Brink of Life, Summer with Monika and quite a few others are more accessible than F&A if only for length.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Not that it isn't an accessible film, most of his films are, but certainly Smiles of a Summer Night, Brink of Life, Summer with Monika and quite a few others are more accessible than F&A if only for length.

I would agree only if you're choosing a movie to watch and you have x amount of time to watch it. F&A so completely draws me in and feels nothing like a 3hr (or 5hr) movie.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll keep my eyes open for a used copy.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Persona is pretty much the coolest Bergman movie.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"If no one will name drop The Virgin Spring, then you are the person who must." That is just the pinnacle of murder-revenge movies. Unsurpassed.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Persona is pretty much the coolest Bergman movie.

Persona is pretty much the coolest movie. It can't be accused of being accessible though.

SLAVOMACEDONIAN
Jul 30, 2011

For those that are interested; I have a 35% discount code in the criterion store. Use it as you please, since I won't: GIFT11 (valid through 12/22).

Applies to the following titles:

Three Colors, America Lost and Found: The BBS Story, AK 100: 25 Films by Akira Kurosawa, 3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg, The Phantom Carriage, Island of Lost Souls, Kuroneko, Diabolique, 12 Angry Men, Sweet Smell of Success, Design for Living, The Great Dictator, The Rules of the Game, Beauty and the Beast, Les cousins, Zazie dans le métro, Fanny and Alexander, The Night of the Hunter, Black Moon, The Naked Kiss, Kiss Me Deadly, Blow Out, The Killing, Cul-de-sac, Carlos, Fish Tank, Still Walking, White Material, Eclipse Series 30: Sabu!, The Four Feathers, The Mikado, Senso, The Complete Jean Vigo, The Music Room, Kes, People on Sunday

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Everyone who subscribes to their newsletter should have it. Just in case you didn't see their email or something.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Bergman always feels like homework for me, which is totally a bias of mine, but it's kept me from really delving in. The Seventh Seal felt like homework until I actually sat down and watched it, and I loved it! So I bought it. And I haven't watched it since because somehow it still feels like homework.

I have the same problem with Fanny & Alexander, but it's indeed wonderful.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Bergman always feels like homework for me, which is totally a bias of mine, but it's kept me from really delving in. The Seventh Seal felt like homework until I actually sat down and watched it, and I loved it! So I bought it. And I haven't watched it since because somehow it still feels like homework.

I have the same problem with Fanny & Alexander, but it's indeed wonderful.

Bummer. :(

But then, I'm like that with just about all post-Weekend Godard. :v:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Nobody's more homeworky than Antonioni, and as a result I've never watched any of his films unless it was actually for homework. It is pretty interesting homework though.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

kaujot posted:

Bummer. :(

But then, I'm like that with just about all post-Weekend Godard. :v:

Do you enjoy it while you watch it though? If something feels like homework while you're watching it, then it is! And I'm not really interested in doing film homework unless it's for a really effective formalist reason (e.g. Jeanne Dielman, which I only got through because I saw it in a theater but which I loved, and which, afterwards, I couldn't think of a single thing I would have cut from the movie). My problem is more of a mental block—despite experiencing the Seventh Seal as a joy, and also much funnier than I'd expected, it still inhabits this space in my mind that feels like homework.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Do you enjoy it while you watch it though? If something feels like homework while you're watching it, then it is! And I'm not really interested in doing film homework unless it's for a really effective formalist reason (e.g. Jeanne Dielman, which I only got through because I saw it in a theater but which I loved, and which, afterwards, I couldn't think of a single thing I would have cut from the movie). My problem is more of a mental block—despite experiencing the Seventh Seal as a joy, and also much funnier than I'd expected, it still inhabits this space in my mind that feels like homework.

Well, let's just say I've never watched any of his post-Weekend work more than once. I'm always willing to try one I haven't seen, though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I haven't seen as many of Bergman's movies as some of you, but I really find Hour of the Wolf to be one of his most "cool". It's got the surrealist elements comparable to Persona (which I also love), but it's also got a great creepiness that I have yet to see in another Bergman. But like I said, there are many more to see.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

kaujot posted:

I won't disclose my number. :negative:

I'm must be somewhere near 150. I think I have a problem. :ohdear:

Seriously, I really should consider doing an inventory on my Criterions. I have an obscene number of them.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Macrame_God posted:

Seriously, I really should consider doing an inventory on my Criterions. I have an obscene number of them.

I keep buying and selling mine, but I swear I've owned over half the collection at one point or another.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Macrame_God posted:

Counting only DVDs and blu rays, and including Essential Art House, Eclipse, and all the double dipping I have around 200. Makes my shelf of fifty-odd of the Celestial Shaws look relatively small.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Part of me wants to buy the Fanny and Alexander box set and the other part of me doesn't want to add it to my credit card bill for this month. gently caress....

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I've got around 45.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
So, it looks like Criterion's releasing "The Last Temptation of Christ" on BD in March.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
For those of you wanting an excuse to inventory those Criterions, the site has just launched My Criterion profiles, where you can make lists, wishlists, add comments to each entry, etc. It seems a bit of a superficial grab at interactivity, but hey, I was bored and set one up. It turns out I have 65 Criterions. I'm pretty sure that's too many.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

For those of you wanting an excuse to inventory those Criterions, the site has just launched My Criterion profiles, where you can make lists, wishlists, add comments to each entry, etc. It seems a bit of a superficial grab at interactivity, but hey, I was bored and set one up. It turns out I have 65 Criterions. I'm pretty sure that's too many.

N.B. you can only add out-of-print titles that have NOT been reissued. So, for example, if you have The Killer, you can add it, but not the barebones Cleo from 5 to 7.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SLAVOMACEDONIAN posted:

AK 100: 25 Films by Akira Kurosawa

Man I wouldn't have the time to watch all of Kurosawa's movies. I think I'm content with Seven Samurai.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Ashley J. Williams posted:

Man I wouldn't have the time to watch all of Kurosawa's movies. I think I'm content with Seven Samurai.

No dude. At least check out Yojimbo. Then High and Low. Then you can try Kagemusha or Ran or Rashomon or

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

You should watch at least one film from each of the genres he worked in.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

kaujot posted:

Even then, there's a huge difference between Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Rashomon and Ran despite all being samurai movies or taking place in the same time period. Don't limit yourself to one movie by Kurosawa or I'll loving cut you ese.

Origami Dali posted:

Aw poo poo they have a "wishlist" feature :(

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

kaujot posted:

Well I also have Sanjuro

Part of the reason is I think that box set is wicked expensive

edit: although that code makes the idea of buying it far more enticing
bah I'll just wait until my next paycheck then I'll make up my mind

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 10, 2011

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

VoodooXT posted:

So, it looks like Criterion's releasing "The Last Temptation of Christ" on BD in March.

Nice. I love Jesus movies, and this is the best one.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

As long as it's better than The Passion of The Christ

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

As long as it's better than The Passion of The Christ

Anything's better than The Passion of the Christ.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

dancehall posted:

Nice. I love Jesus movies, and this is the best one.

The Gospel According to St. Matthew is the best one :colbert:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nicholas Ray's King of Kings is one of the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

E.T. is the best Jesus movie.