Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Dane posted:

In our CSA boxes these weeks we're getting a lot of sunchokes/jerusalem artichokes, and I'm thoroughly uninspired. I don't really know how to get them to shine, they've never really appealed to me and have been relegated to random_filler_veg in soups etc.

Any suggestions for what I can do with them that'll make me and them happy?

I really love just roasted sun chokes. Cut them up, oil, season and roast just like you would fingerling potatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When I'm browning butter, is it normal for it to form brown particles in a yellow liquid, or is the liquid part supposed to get brown with no solid particles forming?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Nicol Bolas posted:

Sooooo . . . . I have fatback in my freezer. It's a big, flat piece of stuff, skin on, minimal meat on. It comes to me thanks to our meat CSA (so, local humane pig) and will probably be delicious if I do something with it. Trouble is, I have no idea what to do with it. The two times I have failed to take skin off of pork (both times with braising pork shoulder) it has wound up edible but weird in texture. Those instances had meat attached that made it okay. This is mostly skin and fat. I've googled extensively and the best idea I've gotten so far is to try out cracklings, but I can't help but feel like there's got to be some obvious, amazing, crazy work-intensive GWStastic thing I can do with this stuff. I have a meat grinder and a bunch of other appliances, and I'm not averse to work or long projects at all, so: if anyone has any ideas, hit me? I want to do this big weird flat pig justice.

You might take a lean toward cajun or creole dishes with this problem. But while they tend to use fatback, it's not generally the centerpiece of the dishes. But, my friend, there is one thing that rises to the top of my mind where fatback can be the featured ingredient:

loving boudin rouge. The word, "loving" is near-mandatory here. If you said you were making boudin rouge, most Louisiana folks would say "what's that?" And then you'd say, "You know. Some loving boudin rouge." and they would say, "Oh, why didn't you say so."

Boudin rouge is cajun blood sausage, also known as "red boudin." Paul Prudhomme has a recipe, but it's a little upscale. There are many varieties of this cajun blood sausage, but I'm specifically talking about the sort that is centered on blood, rice, and fatback.

Hell, I think loving boudin rouge is borderline illegal in some places, which might explain why it's so rare even though a lot of people know what it is. If it isn't illegal, then just pretend it is so that it tastes like rebellion.

The blood might be hard to come by, but you wanted a challenge. It's been a while since I've bought the stuff, but if you're more than a few minutes from the butcher you be smart to take a bucket of ice. Your butcher might automatically pack it in ice, for that matter.

Jesus, I can't find a recipe for this stuff besides that Prudhomme one. So you might use only the non-meat parts from that recipe and combine them with this, which I'm recalling from the half-dilapidated deep structures of my brain:

-About a quart of pig blood
-A pound of that pork fatback
-Salt, pepper, red pepper, and fresh garlic in amounts that I forget.
-Cooked rice. Wild rice will work, but you might need to break it up after cooking. In either case, the amount you use will depend on how well it soaks up the fat and blood.
-About 3 onions cut up real small-like. Make that 4 onions. Well, it depends on the onion.
-Some other crap that I can't remember.

You'll want to fry the aromatics first, and then mix everything together. Before filling the casings, fry a bit of the sausage to test it. You're not just testing the flavor, but the texture, as I think blood sausage is particular on that issue.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Steve Yun posted:

When I'm browning butter, is it normal for it to form brown particles in a yellow liquid, or is the liquid part supposed to get brown with no solid particles forming?

Yep, normal. Caught me by surprise the first time too.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Nicol Bolas posted:

Sooooo . . . . I have fatback in my freezer. It's a big, flat piece of stuff, skin on, minimal meat on. It comes to me thanks to our meat CSA (so, local humane pig) and will probably be delicious if I do something with it. Trouble is, I have no idea what to do with it. The two times I have failed to take skin off of pork (both times with braising pork shoulder) it has wound up edible but weird in texture. Those instances had meat attached that made it okay. This is mostly skin and fat. I've googled extensively and the best idea I've gotten so far is to try out cracklings, but I can't help but feel like there's got to be some obvious, amazing, crazy work-intensive GWStastic thing I can do with this stuff. I have a meat grinder and a bunch of other appliances, and I'm not averse to work or long projects at all, so: if anyone has any ideas, hit me? I want to do this big weird flat pig justice.

Check out my liver pate recipe in the "Vetinarian's Midnight Snack" thread.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello
I can't think of a feature for fatback but it really is the ideal filler when making sausages. I agree with Ruhlman that the sausage should be 30%-45% pure fat and I pretty much always use fatback to get it there (after trimming the skin off to make some cracklins of course).

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Some meat that I wrapped up in freezer paper leaked before it got fully frozen. It was also in a ziploc bag so the liquid was contained but I am wondering if this will affect the meat or somehow make freezer burn more likely.

Rocket Man
May 2, 2007

One of these days, Alice ... BANG! ZOOM! Straight to the moon!
I'm looking for suggestions of a good cookbook with sweet pie/fruit pie recipes, preferably with British/European measurements - Celsius baking temperatures at the least. I've got a British friend who came and stayed with me in the States for a while earlier this year. While here, she had sweet pies for the first time - to her, "pie" had always been pasties and the like, savory dishes. She decided she quite like sweet pie, as would any rational human being, so she's started experimenting with baking them herself. She says she's having trouble finding British cookbooks that have sweet pie recipes, though, so this sounds like a perfect Christmas present opportunity if anyone knows of a likely book or two.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

How the gently caress do I cook rice without a rice cooker?

I've been using twice as much water as rice, boil it, drop the heat, and cover with aluminum foil. The rice always turns out kinda watery.

Every single type of rice has different needs. Some rice should be cooked at 2:1, whatever kind you have shouldnt be. If its turning out watery check the bag instructions and use less water.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Rocket Man posted:

I'm looking for suggestions of a good cookbook with sweet pie/fruit pie recipes, preferably with British/European measurements - Celsius baking temperatures at the least. I've got a British friend who came and stayed with me in the States for a while earlier this year. While here, she had sweet pies for the first time - to her, "pie" had always been pasties and the like, savory dishes. She decided she quite like sweet pie, as would any rational human being, so she's started experimenting with baking them herself. She says she's having trouble finding British cookbooks that have sweet pie recipes, though, so this sounds like a perfect Christmas present opportunity if anyone knows of a likely book or two.

The Williams-Sonoma baking books have metric conversions. I have the general Baking one, which is an extremely solid baking book that I like very much; if it gives any indication of the quality of their books, their Pie and Tart one would be good, too (http://www.amazon.com/Tart-Williams-Sonoma-Collection-Carolyn-Beth/dp/0743243161) There are others, but that's the one I can think of off the top of my head.

However, I wouldn't worry about the temperature conversion. It's the weight conversions that are tricker since there are several per recipe, but Celsius conversion isn't hard, there are a finite number of conversions, and so many baked goods are baked at 350 anyway. If you find one that does weights in grams but not temperatures in celsius, you could always put a sticker on the inside front or back cover with handwritten conversions of 300 through 450 degrees, that would be a nice thoughtful touch, too.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap (sub $75) roller pasta machine? Sorry if this has been addressed previously in the thread.

Rocket Man
May 2, 2007

One of these days, Alice ... BANG! ZOOM! Straight to the moon!

kiteless posted:

The Williams-Sonoma baking books have metric conversions. I have the general Baking one, which is an extremely solid baking book that I like very much; if it gives any indication of the quality of their books, their Pie and Tart one would be good, too (http://www.amazon.com/Tart-Williams-Sonoma-Collection-Carolyn-Beth/dp/0743243161) There are others, but that's the one I can think of off the top of my head.

However, I wouldn't worry about the temperature conversion. It's the weight conversions that are tricker since there are several per recipe, but Celsius conversion isn't hard, there are a finite number of conversions, and so many baked goods are baked at 350 anyway. If you find one that does weights in grams but not temperatures in celsius, you could always put a sticker on the inside front or back cover with handwritten conversions of 300 through 450 degrees, that would be a nice thoughtful touch, too.

Glancing through the pages available on Amazon, it appears that both Williams-Sonoma books have temperatures and measurements listed in both systems. Looks great, thanks!

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

CerebralDonut posted:

Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap (sub $75) roller pasta machine? Sorry if this has been addressed previously in the thread.

This one is good and usually on sale

daani
Jun 20, 2008
So I tried courgette for the first time ever (don't judge me!).

Followed a recipe cooking it for 20 minutes at 200C (400F), and flip it once.
The recipe said it would turn crispy, but they were rather mushy, not that I'm complaining, it was fantastic.

Did I cook them too little or did I cut them too thick?

Does anyone have an advice on how to cook these lovely, cheap things to make it taste even better?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

daani posted:

So I tried courgette for the first time ever (don't judge me!).

Followed a recipe cooking it for 20 minutes at 200C (400F), and flip it once.
The recipe said it would turn crispy, but they were rather mushy, not that I'm complaining, it was fantastic.

Did I cook them too little or did I cut them too thick?

Does anyone have an advice on how to cook these lovely, cheap things to make it taste even better?

Zucchini has too high of a water content to really turn crispy. To me it looks like you did it right.

Zucchini are also good:
Finely diced and tossed with corn, briefly sauteed, tossed with lime juice and salt and topped with parmesan and cilantro;
Shredded and made into Korean zucchini cakes;
Seared on the grill with mild chiles and put into tacos with Mexican sour cream and your choice of beans for excellent veggie tacos;
Stuffed with... lots of other things (like sausage and tomatoes)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm at Sur La Table and they're having a 1/3 off sale on Staub Dutch ovens. Which one should I get? 5 qt round, 5 qt oval or 7 qt round? Will a 5 qt hold an average grocery chicken?

Edit: ended up with the 5 quart Round

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 10, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

To attempt to get zucchini crispier, you can sprinkle the slices with salt and let em rest in a strainer for a half an hour or so.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Casu Marzu posted:

To attempt to get zucchini crispier, you can sprinkle the slices with salt and let em rest in a strainer for a half an hour or so.

Make sure to rinse well afterwards, or be prepared for a SALT EXTRAVAGANZA.

I know because I didn't rinse once :eng99:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I like to just take the ends off of zucchini, split them long-wise, and coat with olive oil and pepper. Broil skin-side-up for a few minutes, then sprinkle the cut side with Parmesan and broil again so they cheese gets brown. Delicious; you can also do this on a BBQ if you really want.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Chard posted:

I like to just take the ends off of zucchini, split them long-wise, and coat with olive oil and pepper. Broil skin-side-up for a few minutes, then sprinkle the cut side with Parmesan and broil again so they cheese gets brown. Delicious; you can also do this on a BBQ if you really want.

Replace parmesan with feta and oregano for a more greek-y zucchini

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
What's the sourest sour candy in existence? The sourest I've had is probably super lemon and that just isn't sour enough. Also, are there any sour candies that remain sour for the entire experience rather than having the sourness dissipate after the first few seconds?

e: Warheads are barely sour. Sour skittles not bad

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 11, 2011

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

MoosetheMooche posted:

What's the sourest sour candy in existence? The sourest I've had is probably super lemon and that just isn't sour enough. Also, are there any sour candies that remain sour for the entire experience rather than having the sourness dissipate after the first few seconds?

e: Warheads are barely sour. Sour skittles not bad

Most of the candy is made from citric acid. The more sour, the more citric acid they used. So, just buy a Jolly Rancher, lick the thing, and dip it in this like it's a Fun Dip.

Wait. You might want to cut it with something first if you want to be able to speak normally the rest of your life. It won't just taste sour, but burn. There are some youtube videos of people eating citric acid that I wouldn't suggest that you copy.

An old chemist prank is to sprinkle that poo poo on someone's sandwich or in their coffee.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You know you can just buy little packs of ascorbic acid and sprinkle them on stuff if you really want.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eat some alum.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cowcatcher posted:

Replace parmesan with feta and oregano for a more greek-y zucchini

That's a great idea and I'll try it next time.

daani
Jun 20, 2008

kiteless posted:

Shredded and made into Korean zucchini cakes;

Definitely will have to try that. Hopefully I can find some good recipe in the GWS wiki.

Thanks a bunch for the other ideas, too, guys!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

daani posted:

Definitely will have to try that. Hopefully I can find some good recipe in the GWS wiki.

Thanks a bunch for the other ideas, too, guys!

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/hobakjeon

Maangchi owns. Hobakjeon owns.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
For Christmas this year instead of the traditional Christmas Pudding I'm intending to make a Brandy Panna Cotta with bits sprinkled over to remind people of Christmas Pudding. Having never made an alcoholic Panna Cotta, are there any potential curdling issues I should be aware of?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Brace yourselves for some possibly stupid questions!

What's the best way to give rice and beans more flavor? Is there a sauce that goes well with them? I eat alot of rice and beans but they're getting kinda bland

I use a lot of garlic but I loving hate mincing it. Would I be sacrificing much in the way of quality if I used this stuff:

I'm looking for a good cookbook for beginners. How would this one do?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Douche Bag posted:

What's the best way to give rice and beans more flavor? Is there a sauce that goes well with them? I eat alot of rice and beans but they're getting kinda bland

I use a lot of garlic but I loving hate mincing it. Would I be sacrificing much in the way of quality if I used this stuff:

Re: beans and rice

Use tabasco or any other hot sauce you may like.

Re: jarred minced garlic

:barf:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Douche Bag posted:

What spices are you putting in it?

quote:

I'm looking for a good cookbook for beginners. How would this one do?

If you want to learn how to cook rather than find a few recipes you like, go with Ratio instead.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
What goes with rice and beans? This poo poo right here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-duran/guasacaca-sauce-recipe/index.html

I know food network is kind of frowned on around here but this recipe is the tits. It's like a guacamole and chimichurri all in one.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Douche Bag posted:

If you're going to be that lazy, just buy a garlic press. At least then it won't taste so much like rear end.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Jarred minced garlic is sacrificing ALL of the quality.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The worst part about jarred minced garlic is that if you leave it in your fridge for a while, it ferments, which makes it taste even grosser.

If I'm mincing a ton of garlic, I toss it in the Cuisinart. I used a full bulb in a pound of meatballs the other night, they were amazing,

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ya know astronaut ice cream? The freeze-dried, crumbly stuff? That's basically what you'll be tasting if you use pre-minced garlic in a jar. Nothing.

Take the extra three minutes out of your life to peel and mince some fresh garlic.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Ya know astronaut ice cream? The freeze-dried, crumbly stuff? That's basically what you'll be tasting if you use pre-minced garlic in a jar. Nothing.

Take the extra three minutes out of your life to peel and mince some fresh garlic.

:colbert: Astronaut ice cream is awesome.

But you should mince your own garlic, come on son.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there a surefire way of finding yellowfin tuna fresh enough to sear medium-rare or rare and not getting horribly sick from eating raw fish? It just seems kind of risky doing that kind of stuff if you aren't a trained sushi chef or whatever

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

If you live in America, anything marked "sushi grade" must be frozen to kill all the bad stuff anyway. (edit: It's my understanding that the main danger from undercooked fish is parasites, not bacteria, which freezing for a certain amount of time will kill dead. And since it's frozen anyhow, it doesn't matter quite as much that you didn't get it fresh off the boat.)

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Its holiday season and I'm breaking out my candy making "skills." I grabbed my bottle of Karo Syrup and it says "Best By Oct 29 2011." Is it still good/safe to use? I'm pretty sure "best by" doesn't mean expired, but I wanted to check with more knowledgeable goons that it was good to use. If not, I can pick up some more, but I didn't check the bottle before I went to the grocery store earlier and I'm itchin' to make some peanut brittle :3: