Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Vasudus, where's the next edition of the Education Benefits Thread!? I literally do nothing all day for the military except sit around and day dream about the GI Bill... God speed, Vasudus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

sharkbomb posted:

Vasudus, where's the next edition of the Education Benefits Thread!? I literally do nothing all day for the military except sit around and day dream about the GI Bill... God speed, Vasudus.

It's a time/motivation problem. When I have the time, I don't have the motivation. When I have the motivation, I don't have the time.

Probably gonna be before the holidays, likely during next week when I have finals and fuckall to do at work. I typically revamp the finding information section and fold the Q&A from all the posts in the thread into a new OP. And add any new changes to the various bills when I know about them.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
When someone withdraws from school, do they need to repay the BAH and/or tuition payments the VA made for that semester?

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
Can someone point me towards more information for financial aid while still active duty in the army?

Ideally I'd like to be able to take this certification

http://www.apics.org/Certification/CPIM/default.htm

and get books to study for it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

GD_American posted:

When someone withdraws from school, do they need to repay the BAH and/or tuition payments the VA made for that semester?

No. You lose the benefit months, but any money paid to the school/you are there to stay.

Smoke Crack posted:

Can someone point me towards more information for financial aid while still active duty in the army?

Ideally I'd like to be able to take this certification

http://www.apics.org/Certification/CPIM/default.htm

and get books to study for it.

You have a few options.
1) Use a month of Post 9/11 and pay everything for it (note: you do not get BAH)

2) Use FTA (Federal Tuition Assistance) to pay for maybe some of it. I say maybe some of it because I didn't see a price listed for the class and FTA is getting cut this coming year. Contact your nearest education office to see what the rates are, and they will likely shuffle you off to https://www.goarmyed.com

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 8, 2011

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I'm waiting on admission status for Spring semester. The due date for applications is today. I can check online to see the status of my application and it still says under review. This is killing me. If I get accepted I still have to go through the college's VA rep to get the payments processed. I'm very worried.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mad Pino Rage posted:

I'm waiting on admission status for Spring semester. The due date for applications is today. I can check online to see the status of my application and it still says under review. This is killing me. If I get accepted I still have to go through the college's VA rep to get the payments processed. I'm very worried.

On the plus side, you don't have a bill until you're accepted. At the worst, you'll be shorted ~12 days of BAH for a short time period until your benefits are rolling. Not the end of the world.

Unless you don't get accepted, that would suck. Good luck.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
So. Got paid on the 30th or whatever I guess for November. Was in class the whole time, and only got $940 and not my usual $1450. Did the seriously prorate 500 bux for the 3ish days of Thanksgiving?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Shala posted:

So. Got paid on the 30th or whatever I guess for November. Was in class the whole time, and only got $940 and not my usual $1450. Did the seriously prorate 500 bux for the 3ish days of Thanksgiving?

99.9% sure you got shafted by the VA. Nobody certs out thanksgiving. Call 1-888-442-4551 and bitch.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Vasudus posted:

On the plus side, you don't have a bill until you're accepted. At the worst, you'll be shorted ~12 days of BAH for a short time period until your benefits are rolling. Not the end of the world.

Unless you don't get accepted, that would suck. Good luck.

Yeah, I have a feeling I'm not going to get accepted. I'm going to go down to the admissions office and try and sneak my way an audience with someone who is not a student working at the admissions office. I have terrible grades from high school, and I do understand that would be a reason why I didn't get accepted into the computer science program. Maybe they'll let me in on a probationary status or I can go in under exploratory/undeclared then switch later.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling I'm not going to get accepted. I'm going to go down to the admissions office and try and sneak my way an audience with someone who is not a student working at the admissions office. I have terrible grades from high school, and I do understand that would be a reason why I didn't get accepted into the computer science program. Maybe they'll let me in on a probationary status or I can go in under exploratory/undeclared then switch later.

Like looking in a mirror. Except substitute lovely high school grades with lovely (lots) of college grades.

Just gonna apply for next fall with a few recommendations and a well-written explanation of the situation. I'd appeal to WSU this semester, but by the time I got a response would probably be 3 days before the semester starts and I'm going to need weeks to finalize all of my poo poo where I am now.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
100% is 100% for all programs at public universities, correct? Why do some of them have statements about the Yellow Ribbon program on their MBA sites? It makes me nervous, also this is all I think about at work.

With a combo of BAH and unemployment I could make 3800 a month just going to class in NYC. Thank you sweet baby jebus.

Axium
Jan 21, 2007
I begin terminal leave December 14th and will ETS February 11th. I'm rated 100% on ch33 and will begin school January 12th in Tennessee. Because of this overlap I'm assuming that I'll be considered active duty and not receive the BAH portion and just the tuition? Do I just notify the certifying official of my ETS date and expect ch33 BAH for 11-29 Feb? Also the difference between my current BAH here at Bragg and Nashville is almost $400, will I have the opportunity to change my BAH zip code for the time im on terminal since Nashville is my EAD?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

100% is 100% for all programs at public universities, correct? Why do some of them have statements about the Yellow Ribbon program on their MBA sites? It makes me nervous, also this is all I think about at work.

With a combo of BAH and unemployment I could make 3800 a month just going to class in NYC. Thank you sweet baby jebus.

Math goes like this:

Does your school cost $17,500 in tuition & fees a year or less?
If yes, regular 100% GI Bill covers you completely
If no, YR (slots/$$$ cap pending) covers the rest

Axium posted:

I begin terminal leave December 14th and will ETS February 11th. I'm rated 100% on ch33 and will begin school January 12th in Tennessee. Because of this overlap I'm assuming that I'll be considered active duty and not receive the BAH portion and just the tuition? Do I just notify the certifying official of my ETS date and expect ch33 BAH for 11-29 Feb? Also the difference between my current BAH here at Bragg and Nashville is almost $400, will I have the opportunity to change my BAH zip code for the time im on terminal since Nashville is my EAD?

Yes, you will not get BAH until you're officially out. You do not have to notify anybody; the VA is actually really good at making sure you don't get paid.

BAH is paid out to the zip of the school, not the individual.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Math goes like this:

Does your school cost $17,500 in tuition & fees a year or less?
If yes, regular 100% GI Bill covers you completely
If no, YR (slots/$$$ cap pending) covers the rest

Hmm, so it's feasible that I could be forced to pay out of pocket for some of these universities?

That certainly makes my degree options much simpler and takes a lot of the difficulty out of choosing a specific career path.

Goddamn MBAs are expensive. ~50k a year. Ugh, I'd rather just get an engineering degree.

Guys, I'll get a job with an engineering degree (most likely Chemical) right? I don't want to have the same experience as I had after getting a degree in English.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 10, 2011

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hmm, so it's feasible that I could be forced to pay out of pocket for some of these universities?

That certainly makes my degree options much simpler and takes a lot of the difficulty out of choosing a specific career path.

Goddamn MBAs are expensive. ~50k a year. Ugh, I'd rather just get an engineering degree.

Possible, yes. Likely? Couldn't tell you. Contact whoever is the certifying official at the schools you're looking at and ask about YR slots if it's not posted on their website.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, most schools tend to have a fairly large amount of YR slots vs. the number of people eligible.

At my school, we have ~470 vets out of a total population of ~15k. Of those 470, approximately 290-300 of them are 100% Post 9/11. We have 1000 YR slots, and my school costs ~10k a year for undergrad. Granted not everywhere is going to be skewed like this, but from what I've seen a university might have 75 YR slots and a total vet population of maybe 50.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Possible, yes. Likely? Couldn't tell you. Contact whoever is the certifying official at the schools you're looking at and ask about YR slots if it's not posted on their website.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, most schools tend to have a fairly large amount of YR slots vs. the number of people eligible.

At my school, we have ~470 vets out of a total population of ~15k. Of those 470, approximately 290-300 of them are 100% Post 9/11. We have 1000 YR slots, and my school costs ~10k a year for undergrad. Granted not everywhere is going to be skewed like this, but from what I've seen a university might have 75 YR slots and a total vet population of maybe 50.

A few of them, even with the YR money, would still have 5-10k per year left for me to pay. I realize that's nothing for an MBA, but hey I want my school to be free because I'm greedy.

Good to know though, there are private schools I've considered because with YR they'd be free. Now I know that most of them have a decent number of slots.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

A few of them, even with the YR money, would still have 5-10k per year left for me to pay. I realize that's nothing for an MBA, but hey I want my school to be free because I'm greedy.

Good to know though, there are private schools I've considered because with YR they'd be free. Now I know that most of them have a decent number of slots.

I just looked it up, Harvard Business School has 50 YR slots. They throw in 10k, for a total of 20k (50/50 match with the VA). HBS costs 51k/year for tuition. GI bill covers 17.5k. So 17.5k/10k HBS / 10k VA = 47.5k out of 51.2k covered. And I'm pretty sure that's the most expensive school in the country, or drat close.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

I just looked it up, Harvard Business School has 50 YR slots. They throw in 10k, for a total of 20k (50/50 match with the VA). HBS costs 51k/year for tuition. GI bill covers 17.5k. So 17.5k/10k HBS / 10k VA = 47.5k out of 51.2k covered. And I'm pretty sure that's the most expensive school in the country, or drat close.

Those numbers are actually pretty similar to the other MBAs I was looking at. How hosed up is that? Duke and UNC end up being some of the cheapest "good" schools as far as costs are concerned.

Again, that's an incredibly insignificant sum considering the total cost is 100k but as I'm already waffling on going for an MBA in the first place it becomes very disconcerting.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Those numbers are actually pretty similar to the other MBAs I was looking at. How hosed up is that? Duke and UNC end up being some of the cheapest "good" schools as far as costs are concerned.

Again, that's an incredibly insignificant sum considering the total cost is 100k but as I'm already waffling on going for an MBA in the first place it becomes very disconcerting.

You also have to consider the fact that if you get an MBA from some place like HBS then the piddly 8k you might have to pay out of pocket (remember grants/fellowships/etc) would probably be covered by a portion of your signing bonus. Your odds of finding halfway decent employment is a tad better than joe fuckstick with an MBA from University of Phoenix.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

You also have to consider the fact that if you get an MBA from some place like HBS then the piddly 8k you might have to pay out of pocket (remember grants/fellowships/etc) would probably be covered by a portion of your signing bonus. Your odds of finding halfway decent employment is a tad better than joe fuckstick with an MBA from University of Phoenix.

Haha, of course, but the likelihood I get into a legit top 10 is very very slim.

I've been spending most of my daydreaming time trying to figure out what subject to pursue once I'm out, but honestly just being free and in college will make me so happy that the question is almost irrelevant.

(I have too many interests :( )

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Like looking in a mirror. Except substitute lovely high school grades with lovely (lots) of college grades.

Just gonna apply for next fall with a few recommendations and a well-written explanation of the situation. I'd appeal to WSU this semester, but by the time I got a response would probably be 3 days before the semester starts and I'm going to need weeks to finalize all of my poo poo where I am now.

I couldn't sit around until fall to go to college. That would drive me nuts especially working a job or collecting unemployment.

I went down there and they told me I had already been accepted. They are just terribly late with updating their online student center. Now I have 30 days to get everything else in gear and be ready for Spring semester.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Why aren't you going to a cc to get a better academic resume?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Why aren't you going to a cc to get a better academic resume?

I've gone through a lot of different options in the last couple of days in 2 threads, that makes it look like I was waffling, which I am.

I am waiting to see what the local CC has to say when they look at my transcript. It appears that I only need a few classes for their cert just by looking at their program.

What Mad Pino says also comes in to play. There's only so long I can sit around and not do anything, and if I get done with this cert say this summer, its already to late to apply for fall, so I would have to sit around for an entire year until next fall (due to the fact that there was 1 school that I was planning on applying to that was accepting spring transfers into their engineering program). Its almost easier (and more efficient) just to apply to the BS university directly with an explanation to the situation.

What do I think is going to happen? I finish this Engineering Transfer thing in a couple of quarters at the CC, apply to WSU and UW for Fall quoting the situation, and probably get denied for both on the grounds they can't approve me until they actually see the certification complete. Then I sit around for 12 months and roll into UW as a 29 year old junior :(

e: And academic resume is the dumbest loving term ever. Just wanted to put that out there.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Then I sit around for 12 months and roll into UW as a 29 year old junior :(

e: And academic resume is the dumbest loving term ever. Just wanted to put that out there.

Yeah I couldn't think of a better term. That better term being transcript. And when I'm a junior I'll be a couple years older than that. I felt pretty crappy about it too until someone told me that "Hey, in 4 years you'll be 4 years older no matter what you do." Made me feel better. I could've gotten some lovely job and plugged away at it or go back to school and get a degree that leads to a real career. Think getting an engineering degree is a better use of my time. Plus people work longer now anyway so I don't think it's that big a deal.

I can't tell if you can't get into UW/WSU or you can't get into the respective engineering schools. I'm not in my school's engineering school right now, because I haven't been in school forever and I didn't have the math background. They do have plans set out on what you can do to get in which is what I am doing now.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah. From experience. YR for some schools will only pay up to a cap of like 5 grand or so. So about 10 grand from VA and school total. Some schools this doesn't cover the difference in stuff.

But it has to be nutty expensive.

baseness
Feb 26, 2004
Dark Dreams
I've been out of the Air Force for four years now and just finished my BS degree. Does anyone here have experience with the HPSP scholarship? Or life as say, a military dentist? I wouldn't enlist again but if they can bribe me with enough cash i'll consider becoming an officer.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

baseness posted:

I've been out of the Air Force for four years now and just finished my BS degree. Does anyone here have experience with the HPSP scholarship? Or life as say, a military dentist? I wouldn't enlist again but if they can bribe me with enough cash i'll consider becoming an officer.

I thought about doing HPSP for years, but my dislike of the military has gradually eclipsed any amount of money they could throw at me. However, I was always looking into the physician side of the program-- I don't know whether it's a good deal for dentists. Most of the physicians I've talked to that took HSPS seemed to regret it.

You should cruise the internet for some dental forums. The forum I'm linking has a subsection about military dentistry and lots of HSPS talk. From there you should also be able to find out what the typical job of a military dentist consists of, and figure out if that's something you want to commit to.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Then I sit around for 12 months and roll into UW as a 29 year old junior :(

There's nothing wrong with that. I'm a 29 year old freshman. Better late than never.

Also, don't worry so much about waffling. Hell, this time last year I was in the NJATC IBEW apprenticeship program. Before I hosed my back up and they only landed me 6 weeks of work in 8 months, since they were taking in non-apprentice labor for apprentice positions (COCK SUCKERS). gently caress, I've bounced around job to job for the past 5 years and this is the first time I've attempted college outside of my old trade school (which now has a horrible reputation since it was bought up by Lincoln Tech). I've worked everything from a porn shop clerk to blasting consultant, and I knew then that without a degree I was pretty well boned in the future, but kept putting it off.

A step into most any college is better than slaving it out in the job market with a HS diploma or GED. Especially when you're getting paid to go.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

baseness posted:

Send me a PM. I was a dental assistant in the Navy for 7 years and can tell you all sorts of things about Navy Dentistry. :)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

I can't tell if you can't get into UW/WSU or you can't get into the respective engineering schools. I'm not in my school's engineering school right now, because I haven't been in school forever and I didn't have the math background. They do have plans set out on what you can do to get in which is what I am doing now.

It's cool man. I understand you're trying to help.

Also, the consensus in GiP about unemployment during school is just not say anything yes? Everything I've read indicates its a grey area but it seems to be one of those things you can get nabbed for later if you do something more stupid.

Also, how serious does everyone take the job search required by unemployment offices? I've pretty much just been applying to 3 jobs a week, but it seems a little ridiculous if I know that I won't even be considered.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Unemployment varies state to state, as does the enforcement of job hunting and such. In Tennessee, all you have to do is claim that you spent 20 hours a week looking for a job, which you don't have to do since they can't prove it, and no one is going door to door asking people about it. In other states you might get a call from the unemployment office asking how much time you've devoted and how many applications/CVs you've submitted (doubtful, considering how many people are unemployed right now). Just bullshit whoever asks you anything, because they know how awful the job market is, and they're not likely to give you any grief over it.

However, should you take a job and claim underemployment, be ready for them to play the pay comparison game. I recently got hosed over by the state due to my lovely record keeping and their inability to use my correct address for timed (extremely short) correspondence. I'd get letters the day, or day after, a response was due because of that poo poo. Just had to cut a check for $200~ to reimburse the fucks for time I was supposedly 'overpaid on unemployment'. And I never overestimated my work hours or pay, they're just taking advantage of Home Depots' lovely record keeping.

vx15i
Feb 9, 2003
My grades were terrible and my application to college was rejected. I made a trip to admissions and asked to speak to the administrator. After a maybe 10 second conversation he agreed to let me in. They only let me major in general studies but after a semester of good grades I was able to switch. I graduated yesterday.

So, I have 9 months of GI Bill left and I'm also eligible for Voc Rehab. I want to take online classes for grad school. Should I use up my GI Bill before applying for Voc Rehab? Will Voc Rehab even let me go to grad school if I already have a job?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Same thing that has been covered previously, but if you can get 9/11 to cover your education, get it covered.

Voc-Reb is your ace in the hole. They cover the entire tuition cost, supplies, etc. The difference is that you're accountable to someone(a counselor), each semester/quarter and they have a goal to employ you in X, not educate you.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
But Voc Rehab will line you up with interviews, help you with a resume, and try their damnedest to get you a job. There's a tax break offered for companies to take Voc Rehab participants so it's like a welcome mat for future employers to give you five minutes of their time and throw you an interview.

Post-9/11 does not do that, obviously.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
e: hurr, wrong thread

barbudo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 19, 2011

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

vx15i posted:

My grades were terrible and my application to college was rejected. I made a trip to admissions and asked to speak to the administrator. After a maybe 10 second conversation he agreed to let me in. They only let me major in general studies but after a semester of good grades I was able to switch. I graduated yesterday.

Good for you. Gives me hope for the future.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Have to remember that most admissions places are used to dealing with traditional students: ie joe chucklefuck from high school whose single crowning achievement is being a member of the A/V club. You have things that set you apart even if you did the most boring, run of the mill admin job.

Always, always appeal that poo poo.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Have to remember that most admissions places are used to dealing with traditional students: ie joe chucklefuck from high school whose single crowning achievement is being a member of the A/V club. You have things that set you apart even if you did the most boring, run of the mill admin job.

Always, always appeal that poo poo.

I'll make sure to do this in fall. An appeal for this semester would have been asinine logistically and I probably would have hemorrhaged cash trying to set everything up in a week. Assuming the classes work out the way they seem to be working out for this semester at a CC, I think I made the appropriate choice by not pursuing an appeal.

My only mistake was not including some sort of personal statement in my initial application, and also to make sure my loving former university remembered to send the god damned transcript when they said they were going to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camino
Feb 23, 2006
I have to apply for my state's food stamp program. Do I list my BAH as income, or not?

I'm not normally this kind of person, but I have a pregnant wife and I cannot get a job in this town. My town is really small, and everyone knows the program that I'm in. The program requires me to be away for months at a time, so no one will hire me. I just needed to put that out.

• Locked thread