Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I think I had a H1B, if that's the one that lasts about 3 years, for management positions. There was a mighty load of paperwork that got prepared (not by me), a couple of months wait, and then an interview at the US embassy in the UK that involved half a day of sitting around, and about 5 minutes of actual interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Chernabog posted:

There's a beer Wednesday in Redmond. Are they related or anything?

As far as I know, Jim has established Beer Wednesdays in Orange County, San Francisco, Washington, British Columbia, and Michigan, although Michigan's is called "Whiskey Thursday" because that's just how they roll over there. :cheers:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Dr. Disco Quest posted:

Has anyone here had any experience moving over to a dev job in the US on a H1B visa, and could perhaps share any insight in to this process and it's perils and pitfalls?

Get a good lawyer and don't try and do anything yourself, because if you do you're virtually guaranteed to gently caress it up in some subtle way :(

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold
Crossposting from the "Making Games..." thread, as it seems to be dead:

My team created a game for facebook, and we're hoping to start moving FB games away from the "collect turnips!" gameplay and into something more fun. Here is our teaser trailer: http://youtu.be/pOXp4mWpBig

This is my first foray into the games dev world, so I'd love to get feedback and critique from you guys!

Here is the link to the open beta: https://apps.facebook.com/izelis_sotf/

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Wasn't there a small group of women that were devs in the montreal area that wanted to have a small meet and talk about the challenges of being a minority in the industry? Is this still something that might happen?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Talk about an impenetrable thread title... But such a good interview question!

devilmouse fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 9, 2011

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I got the all clear. I work for Ready at Dawn Studios in Irvine, CA. You can see some of the positions we have on our website: http://www.readyatdawn.com/ though I know that isn't all-inclusive. There is a submission e-mail there if you want to submit that way.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I'd say do it.

Mega Shark posted:

Keep going for sure. If I got your resume I'd note it and we'd talk about it. (Unless the rest of your resume was unreadable and horrible)

Thanks guys. I think I'll just make a big push to finish it up over the weekend or as quickly as I can do it.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Um, if you guys are looking for people it might be a good idea to actually update your site. The "We're hiring!" posting is still dated march third....

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

devilmouse posted:

Talk about an impenetrable thread title... But such a good interview question!
You'd stump me completely. My memory of classic literature is, honestly, quite terrible. Simple example: I know I suffered through Wuthering Heights, but I'll be damned if I can remember what the plot actually involved. Something about ghost girls, and Heathcliff being a douche, and... dogs?

On the other hand, I'd be happy to analyze Augeries of Innocence, have read a fair bit of Leaves of Grass, etc. Classic literature, though? No memory for it.

EDIT: Besides, classic short stories and poems are better anyways :3:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 9, 2011

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

GetWellGamers posted:

Um, if you guys are looking for people it might be a good idea to actually update your site. The "We're hiring!" posting is still dated march third....

We get many applications and I do think the listings get updated, just not the post date of that specific portion. I'm throwing it out to here, not because we have a lull in applications but because I wanted to let people know in case they're looking and haven't really considered Ready at Dawn.

We are hiring and we'll continue to hire for some time.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: Besides, classic short stories and poems are better anyways :3:

Heavily debatable. :mad:

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Shalinor posted:

You'd stump me completely. My memory of classic literature is, honestly, quite terrible.

One of my go-to interview moves for content and narrative designers is to steer the conversation towards one of their favorite pieces of fiction, be it books, tv, or film. We'll talk a bit about it, what attracted them to it, what works and what didn't, and so forth until the big reveal when I ask them to make it into a Facebook game. Brothers K as a FB game?! Oh such fun there would be!

My favorite was when a guy started was gushing about Dexter. Trying to make Dexter aspirational for middle-aged women? Good times!

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Just for my edification: did he go the route of a Dexter-themed hidden object game? Where did that sneaky Dexter hide the Femur and bloody slides this time seems like it could actually be sorta fun.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

It's Friday night and I'm in the almost empty IRC Channel: #gamedevgoons on SynIRc.

I'll be pounding away at my personal Unity project for a good chunk of time tonight while I idle in there.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

devilmouse posted:

One of my go-to interview moves for content and narrative designers is to steer the conversation towards one of their favorite pieces of fiction, be it books, tv, or film. We'll talk a bit about it, what attracted them to it, what works and what didn't, and so forth until the big reveal when I ask them to make it into a Facebook game. Brothers K as a FB game?! Oh such fun there would be!

My favorite was when a guy started was gushing about Dexter. Trying to make Dexter aspirational for middle-aged women? Good times!
... and now I want to make a Facebook game based on Foundation.

Math-based minigames, colonization, customization of your foundation, watching it grow and change over time - hell, you could even use the mathematical prediction schtick as a sort of guide system to suggest necessary improvements to novice players.

EDIT: Oh, wait, no, need to do one for Stranger In A Strange Land. You could eat your friends to grok them :3:

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Shalinor posted:

... and now I want to make a Facebook game based on Foundation.

Math-based minigames, colonization, customization of your foundation, watching it grow and change over time - hell, you could even use the mathematical prediction schtick as a sort of guide system to suggest necessary improvements to novice players.

EDIT: Oh, wait, no, need to do one for Stranger In A Strange Land. You could eat your friends to grok them :3:

A game based on The Left Hand of Darkness would be the best dating sim ever!

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

wodin posted:

Just for my edification: did he go the route of a Dexter-themed hidden object game? Where did that sneaky Dexter hide the Femur and bloody slides this time seems like it could actually be sorta fun.

Haha, kind of! It was more CSI / Treasure Island style tile-clearing game, where your short-term, single-session goals rotated between "finding a target", "prepping your kill room", and "cleaning up / hiding evidence". He chose to skip over the actual kill, despite me prodding him to include a Dark Cut / Amateur surgeon "reward" game.

Like all games that were designed in 15 minutes, it had a lot of funny concepts and actually sounded like it might have been fun, though we couldn't really get it to be very appropriate for the female audience short of the ham-fisted "try to protect your family then get revenge" introduction scene.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
We had our Christmas party last night. There was a raffle at the end. There were three prizes.

I won two of them. A 3DS with Mario Kart and an iPad 2.

gently caress me.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Our christmas party was last night as well, won a mw3 360!

Gotta go find my car now.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

What's with the Christmas parties already? It's not for two more weeks!

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Akuma posted:

What's with the Christmas parties already? It's not for two more weeks!

People start leaving for holiday breaks pretty soon, hard to have an office christmas party when everyone's gone.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ours is Monday. We're going bowling. :v:

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

Is this some kind of secret thread cabal perks system? Extra tickets for work raffles?

You lucky bastards!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Got offered a nice programming job yesterday :toot:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

mutata posted:

Ours is Monday. We're going bowling. :v:

We're having ours on Friday. Last week we got an email telling everyone to not make any afternoon plans. A few days later we got a second email saying to not make any plans for the whole day.

I have no idea what's brewing but it's going to be awesome.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

crazylakerfan posted:

Congratulations! Best wishes with it, if you accept. :)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

crazylakerfan posted:

The best Christmas present...

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

devilmouse posted:

Gravity's Rainbow as a Facebook game.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Speaking of Christmas parties, I'm posting from ours to report that wthere is a girl from QA wearing a reindeer fursuit... :gonk:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jan posted:

Speaking of Christmas parties, I'm posting from ours to report that wthere is a girl from QA wearing a reindeer fursuit... :gonk:

These are the best times of your life. You get an Life Achievement if you hook up with her.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Jan posted:

Check the front for flaps that could be concealing holes. If you find one... It's already too late.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

New thread title right there.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

... uh, wow, The Savage Garden trailer has over 1k views, and we've got actual press out there. We weren't going to go hunting for any just yet, but, seems some happened anyways - wooo!

Whichever one of you wrote this: http://www.indiegamemag.com/a-revolutionary-platforming-rpg-the-savage-garden-igf-2012-trailer/ - you're awesome, dude. (it got picked up by n4g.com and indus.fr - indus.fr is the biggest contributor, pushed 500+ views)

(EDIT: I realize 1k views is peanuts, but it's still more than I've seen on many trailers for finished indie games)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 11, 2011

I-H
Dec 24, 2009
Right, finished catching up the last 10-15 pages reading almost all posts, and now it's time for a little introductory post.

All this talk about the prejudice towards Full Sail et cetera made me a bit nervous, I hope it is specific for these programs/courses and not generalized worldwide, as I have just a couple of months started studying at the North Karelia University of Applied Sciences, where we have one of the largest selection of courses for specializing in game programming in this country (which is Finland). The school will last for 3 and a half years, and in case someone is interested in what kind of courses we get to choose from, there's an almost translated list of studies available (some keywords: valinnainen = optional, peliohjelmointi = game programming). I wish they'd have finished the translation so I wouldn't have to write a manual how to use that to every foreign friend I link this to.

Even though most game programming courses start on the second year, I've already taken a couple of courses from there and made myself familiar with Unity and XNA (I also should finish that Pacman in Windows Forms just because I can), and will most probably start making up a portfolio of some sort (which is currently disappointingly nonexistant apart from a flash game or two).

One thing I've already learned is that in order to be successful (especially in the games industry) you have to get networked, and I guess that shows pretty well in this thread :)

I... I don't really have any questions or don't need any feedback at the moment but will gladly accept any hints and tips what might be ahead. Also if you have questions about the education, I'll be happy to answer those.

r2x
Jan 13, 2008
What did the teapot say to the chalk?

Nothing, you silly. Teapots can't talk.

Shalinor posted:

To contrast against this, I would indeed hire a programmer with no 4 year degree or professional experience, so long as they had an amazing portfolio... AND if they were solid in an interview. Not for a lead or anything though, it'd be for a jr. role, and I'd be considering contracting-style employment to avoid nastiness if they didn't work out.

Also... I'll just leave this right here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxmmdYuyFeU
(once the upload finishes - 48% and climbing - that'll be our IGF trailer for The Savage Garden. We didn't get as far as we might have liked, but we're overall pretty darn proud of what we submitted. Plays pretty well. Doesn't show great in video, but of course not, it's holy geeze pre-alpha.)

Looks pretty cool but one thing I have to say is that if this is heavy on platforming - it seems like the camera is zoomed in maybe a bit too much? I understand you want to show off the character art - or maybe it seems a little constricted because the video is not full 16:9? It just seems like the character taking up 1/3rd of the screens vertical height may be overkill.

r2x fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 12, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

r2x posted:

Looks pretty cool but one thing I have to say is that if this is heavy on platforming - it seems like the camera is zoomed in maybe a bit too much? I understand you want to show off the character art - or maybe it seems a little constricted because the video is not full 16:9? It just seems like the character taking up 1/3rd of the screens vertical height may be overkill.
It's based off of the default zoom level used in Shadow Complex.

... however, Shadow Complex was most often room-based, and in each "room"/encounter, the camera tended to be either zoomed out or entirely fixed. We have similar tech, we're just not employing it in any of the scenes you see in the trailer. We can pull back, adjust height, and lerp to/from a fixed camera lookat. I'm going to try and add a "constrain camera to plane, and constrain plane to X/Y with XYZ up" function too, but still not sure how to do it in a way that'll be user-friendly in UnrealEd.

We'll also toy with the default zoom level as we build more regions. If it seems like we're constantly throwing down zoom volumes to a particular distance, we'll probably make that the default instead. We'll also look at using those pull-outs to hint encounters to players (again, much like what Shadow Complex does - they pull out any time you need to platform, they tend to go fixed any time there's a complex combat sequence, etc).

EDIT: VV Yes. Already planned. Not in trailer because... well it's not even started yet. We've only had about 2 months on this thus far, kind of a long way to go still :v:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 12, 2011

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Feature creep maybe, but I think it'd benefit from a vaulting or mantling system. like Limbo just so the player doesn't look like they are rubbing their chests on walls etc. It would no doubt make the platforming aspect feel much more fluid.

/nitpick

r2x
Jan 13, 2008
What did the teapot say to the chalk?

Nothing, you silly. Teapots can't talk.

Shalinor posted:

It's based off of the default zoom level used in Shadow Complex.

... however, Shadow Complex was most often room-based, and in each "room"/encounter, the camera tended to be either zoomed out or entirely fixed. We have similar tech, we're just not employing it in any of the scenes you see in the trailer. We can pull back, adjust height, and lerp to/from a fixed camera lookat. I'm going to try and add a "constrain camera to plane, and constrain plane to X/Y with XYZ up" function too, but still not sure how to do it in a way that'll be user-friendly in UnrealEd.

We'll also toy with the default zoom level as we build more regions. If it seems like we're constantly throwing down zoom volumes to a particular distance, we'll probably make that the default instead. We'll also look at using those pull-outs to hint encounters to players (again, much like what Shadow Complex does - they pull out any time you need to platform, they tend to go fixed any time there's a complex combat sequence, etc).

EDIT: VV Yes. Already planned. Not in trailer because... well it's not even started yet. We've only had about 2 months on this thus far, kind of a long way to go still :v:
Yeah Shadow Complex was the first thing I looked to for reference to make sure I wasn't crazy, glad to hear your using similar dynamic camera stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
x

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 18, 2017